PDA

View Full Version : since Christmas is on a Saturday

rob the knob
12-20-2010, 08:18 PM
http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/5639.html

If you normally have Saturdays off and do not work on Christmas Day, then you are not entitled to general holiday pay and are not entitled to an extra day off. However, you may receive general holiday pay or an extra day off if it is a part of your employment contract or a part of a union agreement. Please check with your employer.

this may affect some people where employer is not very nice

Jeremiah
12-20-2010, 10:32 PM
wow that fucking sucks, but i'm sure most people know by now whether or not they're going to get an additional day off or receive holiday pay...

swak
12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
I work boxing day and Christmas eve.
Fucking sucks. I only get stat pay on one of those days...

Cos
12-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Most corporations give you stat regardless. I know I get 3
Stats next week.

l/l/rX
12-20-2010, 10:45 PM
I get monday and tuesday off (both paid) and half day on Friday (office closes at noon). Not as good as some other companies but it works for me. I believe I get the 3rd off and paid as well.

GTS4tw
12-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I get it as a stat, but I also get boxing day. I haven't heard of anyone not getting it, your employer would have to be a douche.

HiTempguy1
12-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
I get it as a stat, but I also get boxing day. I haven't heard of anyone not getting it, your employer would have to be a douche.

I get the 24th, 27th, 28th, and 3rd off. So if I use 3 of my banked OT/vacation days, I get over 1.5weeks of paid vacation. Guess my edumacation was good for something!

Kloubek
12-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Crappy for some.

I get Monday AND Tuesday off. Long weekend, here I come...

G-ZUS
12-20-2010, 10:55 PM
I get the 26, 27 and 3rd off in lieu.

03ozwhip
12-20-2010, 11:00 PM
i get xmas eve and day off, work boxing day but get triple time plus an extra day off some other time. i get NYE and day off plus 2 days after that. sometimes unions are good lol

dj_rice
12-20-2010, 11:11 PM
New Years is also on a Saturday.

hampstor
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
When I worked at an asian owned retail company, I learned this one the hard way. If Christmas landed on a weekend, new years did too - and we'd get screwed for both because we would not get the following day in lieu. That and Boxing day isn't legally a general holiday either. They followed the legislation on this pretty good.

dj_rice
12-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
When I worked at an asian owned retail company, I learned this one the hard way. If Christmas landed on a weekend, new years did too - and we'd get screwed for both because we would not get the following day in lieu. That and Boxing day isn't legally a general holiday either. They followed the legislation on this pretty good.

My company hasn't really stated anything yet, I will have to ask accounting tomorrow but I have a feeling its going to be the shaft on X-Mas and New Years and no day off in lieu and on top of that, they also are giving us the 24th off no pay though.

FraserB
12-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Nice, now just to see if both jobs actually follow this. I got luck and don't work at all on Christmas but have been working 12 hour Saturdays for the past 5 months, work 8 hours at job number 2 on New Years so still get paid from job 1 and then time and a half I believe from job number 2.

adidas
12-21-2010, 01:25 AM
This thread now is about what days u get off for the holiday!

Masked Bandit
12-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Our office closes at lunch on the 24th and doesn't open again until January 4th.

On one hand the time off is real nice but man does shit back up. That first week back is always a mess.

speedog
12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Please note that there are considerable differences if the company you're working for is provincially or federally regulated with respect to labour codes. Only 9 official holidays exist under both the Alberta Employment Standards and the Federal Labour Code, but it has to be noted that Boxing Day is not a holiday under the Alberta Employment Standards.

Links...

Alberta Employment Standards Holiday info (http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/1472.html)

Canada Labour Code general holidays info (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/L-2/page-3.html#anchorbo-ga:l_III-gb:l_V)

Canada Labour Code layman's version of the above link (http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/employment_standards/fls/resources/resource03/page04.shtml)

So first you have to figure out what regulations the company you work fall falls under - our company is provincially regulated and because we are closed Boxing Day (not an Alberta holiday but treated as such as we are closed that day due to our own choice), we still have to pay straight holiday pay to employees regularly scheduled to work that day.

speedog
12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
And of course, workplaces that have negotiated union settlements/agreements in place may have additional things to consider to federal and provincial codes - when I worked for TELUS, we had 12 recognized holidays in the language under the union contract that applied to my job position there.

7thgenvic
12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
You guys should all be happy you're not stuck in a stinky overcrowded European Terminal. Goodbye vacation time...

Feruk
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
I love salary work. We get the 24th to the 4th off. :)

Sugarphreak
12-21-2010, 02:33 PM

schmooot
12-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Well in BC stat holiday laws are set the same throughout. If the "stat" falls on a day the company is normally closed then it gets pushed to the Monday.

2ndgenlude
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
salary for me too. 24th to 4th off. sucks for a lot of people though.

ExtraSlow
I'm on call for the holidays. Merry fucking christmas.

n1zm0
Originally posted by Feruk
I love salary work. We get the 24th to the 4th off. :)
:werd: i get 27, 28, 3rd off

i could take the whole 27-31 but i'm not that much of an ass, give the company at least 2 day full support (my workplace would be on the verge of crumbling if something happens and i'm not here)

M.alex
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
(my workplace would be on the verge of crumbling if something happens and i'm not here)

you sure think highly of yourself :rofl:

n1zm0
12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
no no lol it's literally taking care of a bunch of babies, i'll get a phone call on the weekend that begins as :

"The R/H nav light is unserviceable on such and such aircraft, i've deferred it to day vfr flights only as per CARs and our maintenance control manual, what do i do?!?!"

me- " you just answered your own question there bud..., thnx for calling me at 7:30AM about a burnt out lightbulb on a saturday when im in a full fledged epic hangover"

ekguy
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I am stoked this year we have christmas eve off and monday as well, then we have new year's eve off and the monday after just cuz hehe.l

Dunno how this will affect my pay though but I don't care haha. I haven't had this many days off in a row during the holidays in at least 5 years.