PDA

View Full Version : hip first date lounge/restaurant

jaysas_63
12-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Hey guys!

so as usual im turning to beyond for some advice! ive been out of Calgary for a while, so im not terribly familiar with the city! i ran a quick search, and did not come up with what i'm looking for.

so im looking for a place that's hip and young, with central location, good wine menu, and some nice tapas/aps. (i like to eat on first dates, but i don't like doing dinner) price isn't an issue.

ive tried vin room, bungalow, and tango bistro, and to be honest i haven't been impressed with any of them.

suggestions would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

psycoticclown
12-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Vero in Kensington is pretty neat, really small restaurant, nice decor, big wine menu and they do late night tapas too.

Idratherbsidewayz
12-21-2010, 09:25 AM
http://jaroblue.com/

That place is pretty sweet, great fondue. Not too much seating though.

http://winebarkensington.com/

Lots of different wines, a little bigger and good food.

jjmac
12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
http://www.unapizzeria.com/

Decent wine list. Awesome pizza (it's pizza you NEVER had trust me), good for sharing while having a glass of wine. It's on 17th Ave SW, I think that'd pretty central. Great atmosphere inside, has NYC pizzeria feel to it.

A bit hard to get a seat on the weekends, so aim for weekday if you could.

Main Menu (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb8b24bOav1qav7pjo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1293032366&Signature=jmzULvkIOSPnxGtCDJj82R3HCyo%3D)

Dessert Menu (http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb8ayr5HiH1qav7pjo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1293032553&Signature=oIDOKnUEjyp8UnSciA7/Dfo7WPo%3D)

:thumbsup:

msommers
12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Muse is awesome.

Anton
12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jjmac
http://www.unapizzeria.com/

Decent wine list. Awesome pizza (it's pizza you NEVER had trust me), good for sharing while having a glass of wine. It's on 17th Ave SW, I think that'd pretty central. Great atmosphere inside, has NYC pizzeria feel to it.

Was just there for the first time this weekend and I must agree. For a hip date, you can't go wrong. Atmosphere inside is really upbeat and vibrant. Definitely reminded me of NYC as jjmac said (I was just in NYC a couple months back).

The wine list isn't too big but definitely has some solid options. Pizza was delicious and the service was top notch. :thumbsup:

cam_wmh
12-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Milk Tiger.
http://www.milktigerlounge.com/

revelations
12-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Muse is awesome.

+1 for atmosphere
+1 for wines
+1 for service

Afrodeziak
12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Ming on 17th. Huge drink menu, usually not too crowded. Good food. Cool atmosphere..

Neil4Speed
12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Muse is pretty solid for sure, its also good because its somewhat private and you can actually have a conversation in there if you cared to get to know your lady better lol.

lint
12-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Anju is good if you're into asian/korean fusion

Graham_A_M
12-21-2010, 12:37 PM
If you want to stick out of the bar scene, but want to make a good impression, try Ruth Chris's out, or up at the top of the tower, Sky360.

Personally I think the bar scene can kill the date. :dunno:
Nothings more annoying then trying to talk over a very loud group of people:rolleyes:

.civictyper.
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
You have to try TASTE on 1st.
It is a very small, tapas and wine lounge. Great atmosphere, great wine list (changes every month). Food is great.

This is exactly what you are looking for :thumbsup:

R-Audi
12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
I always like Brava for dates....never been disappointed with their food.

know1edge
12-22-2010, 12:59 PM
read the thread. Anju and ruth's chris aren't exactly what I would call a tapas spot. sky360 is far from young and hip

Originally posted by .civictyper.
You have to try TASTE on 1st.
It is a very small, tapas and wine lounge. Great atmosphere, great wine list (changes every month). Food is great.

This is exactly what you are looking for :thumbsup:

I'll +1 this

wintonyk
12-22-2010, 01:17 PM
I like going to The Meet. Its right next to the coup on 17th.

Pretty good drink selection, they have fire ants on a log as an app too. Bonus points for being local and organic.

jaysas_63
12-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!

i ended up going to the Una pizza and wine bar!

wine list was good, the ambiance was great, and the service was also good considering how busy the place was.

the menu itself was exactly what i was looking for, with lots of little dishes to share, we ordered:
-mushroom pizza
-veal and pork meatballs
-truffle baked provolone piccante cheese (could have done without)
-P.E.I. mussels
-a few stuffed Persian dates

it would have been nice to see some oysters on the menu, but we survived.

all in all the food was not fantastic, but i was not disappointed either. The pricing was fair, with tip included it set me back 160ish (desert was done elsewhere)

once again thx for all the suggestions, im going to have to venture to some of the other places that were mentioned :thumbsup:

Idratherbsidewayz
12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!

i ended up going to the Una pizza and wine bar!

wine list was good, the ambiance was great, and the service was also good considering how busy the place was.

the menu itself was exactly what i was looking for, with lots of little dishes to share, we ordered:
-mushroom pizza
-veal and pork meatballs
-truffle baked provolone piccante cheese (could have done without)
-P.E.I. mussels
-a few stuffed Persian dates

it would have been nice to see some oysters on the menu, but we survived.

all in all the food was not fantastic, but i was not disappointed either. The pricing was fair, with tip included it set me back 160ish (desert was done elsewhere)

once again thx for all the suggestions, im going to have to venture to some of the other places that were mentioned :thumbsup:

Did you get to play penis-butt after?

max_boost
12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Did you get to play penis-butt after?

haha :werd:

OP set the bar quite high for a first date man. $160 for a first date. I still would have just taken her to Tim's cause I'm a cheap ass. :rofl:

turbotrip
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

goddam $160 + dessert on a first date? :nut:

jaysas_63
12-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

haha :werd:

OP set the bar quite high for a first date man. $160 for a first date. I still would have just taken her to Tim's cause I'm a cheap ass. :rofl:

Originally posted by turbotrip

goddam $160 + dessert on a first date? :nut:

:rofl: eating out is pricey, especially when u add wine to the mix!!

and for clarification, she was dessert ;)...and i'm not too worried about the bar being set high, im leaving Calgary for another year in a week for school :(

max_boost
12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Well then good sir, you came out a head! haha :eek:

pinoyhero
12-23-2010, 07:31 PM
W and I really liked charcut for appis type thing

Cos
12-23-2010, 07:31 PM
For the future, I love Bistro 2210 on 4th. Had lobster corn dogs :drool: