PDA

View Full Version : No power

stan28
01-06-2004, 08:08 PM
I just changed my alternator and bought a new battery. The battery is fully charged. Everything is connected properly but when you turn the key, nothing work. All electrical systems are dead.

All fuses seem to be in working order.

1996 Chevy S-10 Extended Cab V-6 Vortec

Someone please help!

Weapon_R
01-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Check the connections very carefully. If its a new battery, something should light up if it's connected correctly.

stan28
01-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Already did that. Uncle came over and used something that when he touched the battery a light came on.

xkon
01-06-2004, 09:11 PM
I think he meant in the car, the accessories should power on (radio, lights etc)

stan28
01-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Oh, no nothing comes on at all. ie- radio, dome lights nothing is working

Weapon_R
01-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Are your battery connections dirty?

Check your fuses to see if one is blown.

One of these is most likely your problem.

stan28
01-06-2004, 09:16 PM
I cleaned the connections and all of the fuses look good as well. I am totally lost on this one

illeagle
01-06-2004, 09:21 PM
the battery has power, but none is going into the truck? try the old battery, and see if it works still... maybe you have a deffective battery. =enough power to light up a bulb, but not enough to run stuff ie radio, headlights, horn...etc.. do you have anymore fuses/relay's in a different area of the truck? all i can think of is fuses

stan28
01-06-2004, 09:24 PM
No, I turned in the battery when I bought the new one. I took the new battery back and had it tested and I saw the reading and it said battery was fully charged. The thing is that nothing is working, not even the light under the hood.

I do not know of any other fuses except for the ones on the drivers side next to the door.

autospeed
01-06-2004, 09:48 PM
does the key turn oddly? had the same problem in our Jeep Grand Cherokee, turned out a small piece of metal from the key cylinder in the steering column was broken. without it turning the mechanism the key on power was lost and nothing happened.
The key cylinder has a little notch in it that went into the rest of the module,if the metal is broken on one side it won't turn properly, i'm not sure as to how similar a chevy might be but seeing as how you've done everything else i hope it helps.:thumbsup:

hearse
01-06-2004, 11:46 PM
This sounds like a similar problem that one of my friends with a corsica had. He kept changing alternators, fuses, wires, etc, because he thought they were all bad. Turned out to be a "fusable link"

I can remember it was in the engine compartment, but not exactly where it occured, so if you have your haynes manual, you might want to consult it to see if you have any "fusable links" and check them out.

rice_eater
01-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by stan28
No, I turned in the battery when I bought the new one. I took the new battery back and had it tested and I saw the reading and it said battery was fully charged. The thing is that nothing is working, not even the light under the hood.

I do not know of any other fuses except for the ones on the drivers side next to the door.

there are the incar fuses which you found, and there are fuses under your hood too...they are in a box and should be close to the batery but not necesarily.

THREE40SEVEN
01-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by hearse
This sounds like a similar problem that one of my friends with a corsica had. He kept changing alternators, fuses, wires, etc, because he thought they were all bad. Turned out to be a "fusable link"

I can remember it was in the engine compartment, but not exactly where it occured, so if you have your haynes manual, you might want to consult it to see if you have any "fusable links" and check them out.
bingo:)

cappie86
01-15-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm new here and was just looking around when I found this thread. Sounds exactly like whats happening to my 1986 Caprice Classic.... the key was turning funny and it was a pain to get it to accessories... now when the key is turned there is no power to anything in the car (i.e. lights, horn, radio..etc.) Just bought the ignition unit and the switch, hope they work...

:dunno: