PDA

View Full Version : CPS in full effect?

epp01
12-21-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but has anybody else noticed the amount of Police pulling people over in the last few weeks? It's crazy, almost every single drive I take in the last week or two I see cops having at least one guy pulled over. Normally it was around 1-10 drives. I was cruising up deerfoot last weekend and saw 4 people pulled over from blackfoot to beddington. I haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood) but it's pretty ridiculous. I work where I can see 16th avenue for a few blocks, and normally there is about 1 car pulled over in 2-3 days. Lately there have been 2-3 cars A DAY.

Gotta fill up the quota?

Masked Bandit
12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
I haven't noticed any extra enforcement but at this time of year it wouldn't be a big surprise. I know there's a lot of extra attention going towards drunk drivers.

sr20s14zenki
12-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by epp01
I don't know if it's just me, but has anybody else noticed the amount of Police pulling people over in the last few weeks? It's crazy, almost every single drive I take in the last week or two I see cops having at least one guy pulled over. Normally it was around 1-10 drives. I was cruising up deerfoot last weekend and saw 4 people pulled over from blackfoot to beddington. I haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood) but it's pretty ridiculous. I work where I can see 16th avenue for a few blocks, and normally there is about 1 car pulled over in where I can see 1-3 days. Lately there have been 2-3 cars A DAY.

Gotta fill up the quota?

Gotta pad the holiday fund. Funny how they are out in huge numbers before the holidays, or on long weekends, but then seem to disappear during normal times. I dont have anything against police in general, i am just another person who notices these trends. I believe theres more deviousness behind it than "keeping people safe".

Too many times i get ripped past by retards doing 160km/hr +, but half the people i see getting busted, are people doing 10 over...and not driving like maniacs usually. Call it odds if you like, but i would rather a guy get a ticket for doing 30 over driving like a dick head, than the guy who is driving along at 10 over not bothering anybody. I guess that doesnt happen tho.

Hope they bust tons of drunks, as the above poster said, but lets face it, why bust the drunks...speeders are more profitable :D

Jetta-2.0
12-21-2010, 06:59 PM
they are always on black foot and 17 ave

95EagleAWD
12-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Edmonton has these "Big Ticket Events". Signs go up all over the city about a week in advance saying "BIG TICKET EVENT. DON'T SPEED." They don't tell you the exact day, but the signs disappear after, so it's not rocket science.

They gave out 2,264 tickets that day. Of those, 1,944 were speeding tickets.

People caught included someone doing 173 in a 70, 140 in a 60, and 100 in a 50.

So how DUMB do you have to be to keep speeding when the city has GIVEN YOU NOTICE that they're out on a speeding blitz.

The same happens EVERY December. It's Christmas, which means parties, which means CheckStops. Same with long weekends. Police are out in force because, statistically, more happens during these parts of the year.

I, for one, have cut my drink limit to one in December because I don't need the hassle of being pulled over after a few drinks (over a few hours) and worrying about what I'm going to blow.

Use your head out there. It's not hard to NOT get pulled over.

95EagleAWD
12-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
but half the people i see getting busted, are people doing 10 over...and not driving like maniacs usually

Horseshit. NOBODY gets pulled over for 10 over, unless it's in a school zone. Unless you have equipment violations on your car, or something else that catches the Officer's attention, I find it very, very hard to believe that you will get a 10 over ticket.

sr20s14zenki
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Horseshit. NOBODY gets pulled over for 10 over, unless it's in a school zone. Unless you have equipment violations on your car, or something else that catches the Officer's attention, I find it very, very hard to believe that you will get a 10 over ticket. :dunno:

seen a few, and mind you i estimated, based on how fast they were passing me, so i may not have been 100% accurate...realy just an example. I never see the dickheads get busted.. but maybe thats just me. Moron drivers who have no business behind the wheel of a car, seem to never get ticketed. Meanwhile, the absolutely SINFUL satan worshipping speeders are the ones getting busted...i said it before and ill say it again, speed doesnt kill, moron drivers kill. If a moron is speeding, thats completely differemt, it still comes down to somebody who has no business driving, let alone speeding.

I like to see check stops...i think drunk driving is absolutely one of the most pathetic things a human being can do.

calgary403
12-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I got stopped in a checkstop a few days ago. I was on my way home from work so no problems there.

Yesterday a cop reversed out of his lane and pulled behind me and followed me for a few blocks.

I don't break any laws so it doesn't really bother me but I have noticed the extra enforcement out these past few days.

wintonyk
12-21-2010, 07:26 PM

I like to see check stops...i think drunk driving is absolutely one of the most pathetic things a human being can do.

:werd:

I have been through three in the past week. One was 2:30 on glenmore and three cars were getting towed. I just can't believe people that think, I am alright to drive. Rage proved in his experiment that you can blow safe and not be safe to drive at all.

CUG
12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
:dunno:

I like to see check stops...i think drunk driving is absolutely one of the most pathetic things a human being can do. Word. :thumbsup:

derpderp
12-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't get it, why is anyone surprised by the increased police presence? They are always tons more police on the street this time of year since it is the Holidays and cases of impaired driving sky rocket.

J-hop
12-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Meback
12-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Tons of enforcement lately. Plenty of ghost cars too. So for the time being just slow down. I got pulled over 135 of deerfoot. Was thinking that I was gonna be fuked, got off with a warning, and a "fatherly" talk. Overall good experience haha.

derpderp
12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Do police even have a quota in Calgary? :dunno:

GTS4tw
12-21-2010, 11:01 PM

Horseshit. NOBODY gets pulled over for 10 over, unless it's in a school zone. Unless you have equipment violations on your car, or something else that catches the Officer's attention, I find it very, very hard to believe that you will get a 10 over ticket.

lol :rolleyes:

Jay911
12-21-2010, 11:05 PM
As was already said, it's completely not a surprise - literally, they already told you - that the cops are out there in full force this season.

Having said that, I had to have a chuckle yesterday when coming in to work. I was doing 80 in the 80 zone on Hwy 1 (16th) coming up to Bowfort, and in the left lane because I was going to turn in to the Bowfort Shell. Someone tore past me all angry, going around 110. I pull up to the red left turn signal and *FLASH!* - speed on green ticket! :D As I'm sitting there waiting for the light to change, someone in an X5 goes thru at at least 130. *FLASH!* again! :clap:

I don't care if you want to drive fast. Feel free, so long as you don't jeopardize my safety. However, driving smart is mandatory.

NewLextasy
12-21-2010, 11:07 PM

I'm sorry but I know lots of people who have got tickets for doing 10 over including myself. I was even in a cab once and the cab got pulled over on macleod doing 6 over and got a ticket.

Shlade
12-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by derpderp

yes.

Atleast thats what ive been told when i went for my ride along

SJW
12-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Jay911
As was already said, it's completely not a surprise - literally, they already told you - that the cops are out there in full force this season.

Having said that, I had to have a chuckle yesterday when coming in to work. I was doing 80 in the 80 zone on Hwy 1 (16th) coming up to Bowfort, and in the left lane because I was going to turn in to the Bowfort Shell. Someone tore past me all angry, going around 110. I pull up to the red left turn signal and *FLASH!* - speed on green ticket! :D As I'm sitting there waiting for the light to change, someone in an X5 goes thru at at least 130. *FLASH!* again! :clap:

I don't care if you want to drive fast. Feel free, so long as you don't jeopardize my safety. However, driving smart is mandatory.

I drive like you. Speed limit everywhere. I couldn't give 2 fucks if person A or person B is in a hurry. The limit is the limit. That being said i'm not a left lane douche either.

DayGlow
12-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by derpderp

No. I can't put it any more simply.

Now most units do month and year ends and tickets us one of the performance measures. You have to account for your time. If you aren't going to calls for service, laying charges, executing warrants, etc then what are you doing with your time? Tickets are a measurable stat.

If I had an hour to kill at work between emergency calls would you rather your tax dollars go to me drinking coffee or doing traffic enforcement?

I've never been called to task for the number of tickets I've written, even if it's only 5 or so for a month. Why? Because I have the stats in the other columns to show that I'm busting my ass. It's that simple. See more traffic enforcement? Either it's a directed patrol because of numerous complaints from that community or because there is a lull for calls for service.

Does traffic write a lot of tickets? Yes they do because that's their job. If they aren't doing check stop or investigating a fatal crash they are doing traffic enforcement and have to account for their time.

Do some officers believe if the write x amount of tickets think management will leave them alone? Absolutely! But the reality is that if they go to more calls and lay more charges instead they will have no problem.

Hard stats like this isn't perfect and is frustrating, but it's hard to find a system that keeps people accountable for their time when the vast majority of your time at work isn't supervised. Myself I rather have to show sone stats to have the freedom of working independently vs a sergent breathing down my neck micro-managing me.

Shlade
12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
^^

Yeah basically what I was told on my ride along.

I always figured the seargent of the district expects xxxx amount of tickets out of the officers in the district to show their actually doing work.

rage2
12-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by NewLextasy
I'm sorry but I know lots of people who have got tickets for doing 10 over including myself. I was even in a cab once and the cab got pulled over on macleod doing 6 over and got a ticket.
I got pulled over going 10 over at 1am a week ago. The cop yelled at me asking if I'm trying to kill someone (huh?) and I just agreed with him without admitting anything, and kept apologizing. He let me go.

Sometimes, it's how you talk to/your attitude towards the cops that's going to determine if you get yourself a silly ticket like 10 over. Back in the day, I shit talked cops, and I managed a 115 in a 110 zone ticket on the way home from banff.

DayGlow
12-22-2010, 09:33 AM
The usual yard stick is a single traffic enforcement event during a 12 hour shift. I've never had issues finding one, it's not like I had to fish for it and often it ended in a warning. I've never been called to task for giving out warnings as a superior by law in the Police Act can't order me to lay a charge.

Am I limiting myself to advancement by not being a 'team player' ? Not so far and what are they going to do, make me work nights and catch criminals? That's the job I signed up for so if I'm stuck in patrol as a constable for life, so be it.

403Gemini
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Shlade

yes.

Atleast thats what ive been told when i went for my ride along

Its not so much a "quota" as it is proving they are working. If they respond to a bunch of calls and do the paperwork for it, they don't have to give out as many tickets. If you basically haven't responded to any calls and aren't handing out tickets, your superiors are likely thinking you're just heading home for the day or dicking around.

Least that's the way it was about 8 years ago when I used to know a few cops lol

edit: Ah, I see I should have read the entire thread before posting :rofl:

Seems like I'm somewhat right, thanks Dayglow for the clarification :thumbsup:

J-hop
12-22-2010, 12:45 PM

403Gemini
12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
good to know, from the way people always talked on beyond I just assumed they did, not that I care as I've never had a speeding ticket lol.

I always found beyond hilarious in regards to supporting local enforcement. I remember a while back there was a news report on street racing (i think it was city TV), and they said beyond had made a statement regarding how beyond discourages street racing etc, my buddy and I almost lost our shit when we heard that. Because beyond is the main online spot for locals to learn how fight tickets or bitch about CPS screwing them over.

As a person who helps run a local car club, I think car clubs should do everything they can to promote law enforcement, discourage illegal vehicular activities and make sure their members are accountable for their actions. Not promote the exact opposite.

Make no mistake, most of us "OG's" (2005 and earlier) are 100% supportive of the police and we make that very clear on this forum. You can look at my history of posts, along with a lot of the older members and you can see where I generally agree with Dayglow and support the Calgary police. The forum population however has exploded and a few hundred members can't control the posting of 86,000+ members.

rinny
12-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I've gotta say, living out in Victoria I see 1238971230987 less cops hiding and pulling people over out here. Seems as though they concern themselves less with traffic enforcement and more with homeless issues.

It is night and day moving from Calgary, I no longer have to keep an eye out over my shoulder being scared that I'll be pulled over for this thing or that thing. Although Victoria doesnt have the real straightaways that Calgary does for people to speed we do have some areas where its easy enough officers to hide and go peek to ticket drivers, but they dont.

max_boost
12-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I got pulled over going 10 over at 1am a week ago. The cop yelled at me asking if I'm trying to kill someone (huh?) and I just agreed with him without admitting anything, and kept apologizing. He let me go.

Sometimes, it's how you talk to/your attitude towards the cops that's going to determine if you get yourself a silly ticket like 10 over. Back in the day, I shit talked cops, and I managed a 115 in a 110 zone ticket on the way home from banff.

I definitely can see this being true. If someone is pissing you off and you can ticket them, why not?!

Originally posted by DayGlow
The usual yard stick is a single traffic enforcement event during a 12 hour shift. I've never had issues finding one, it's not like I had to fish for it and often it ended in a warning. I've never been called to task for giving out warnings as a superior by law in the Police Act can't order me to lay a charge.

Am I limiting myself to advancement by not being a 'team player' ? Not so far and what are they going to do, make me work nights and catch criminals? That's the job I signed up for so if I'm stuck in patrol as a constable for life, so be it.

Thanks for clearing things.

revelations
12-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by rinny
I've gotta say, living out in Victoria I see 1238971230987 less cops hiding and pulling people over out here. Seems as though they concern themselves less with traffic enforcement and more with homeless issues.

It is night and day moving from Calgary, I no longer have to keep an eye out over my shoulder being scared that I'll be pulled over for this thing or that thing. Although Victoria doesnt have the real straightaways that Calgary does for people to speed we do have some areas where its easy enough officers to hide and go peek to ticket drivers, but they dont.

When I was with the Nanaimo RCMP as an auxiliary constable, we would normally not bother ticketing drivers going less than 21kph over the limit.

In Calgary - I've heard various numbers - but it seems that 11kph is a common number used.

Sugarphreak
12-22-2010, 03:14 PM

garnet
12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
i respect your take on it

i wish i could say that seems the case with other officers, most particular the traffic div
any encounter of mine, and others i know, they are over-zealous often the case
don't know why, just seems to be

example, coming up 14th st nw hill (toward dist 4), and plain clothed officer stepped out from between cars, had an unmarked car
i was at tail end in a column of traffic, he was no less then impatient, and ticketed my, for 9 (yes, 9kph) over

he's lucky i saw him step out into traffic like that, he didn't even have a hi-vis vest on

i took it to JP and got knocked, because on the ticket marked as observed speed, not as being radar (which he said he got me on)

oh well!

revelations
12-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Is that just an arbitrary number they came up with or is it based on a number of tolerances they have to allow for?

You would think there should be some tolerances allowed for tire size, measuring device inaccuracies and around hill grades.

This was from a former member of the Traffic section and yes, it allows a tolerance for the variation in tire sizes.

Note that sine error from the lidar traps also works slightly in favour of the driver - depending how far away from the center the lidar beam is.

Also, I believe photoradar and the intersection green "safety" cameras are set to 11kph. Good luck getting an official comment on that though.

Ven
12-22-2010, 03:41 PM
The usual yard stick is a single traffic enforcement event during a 12 hour shift.

And then there's Derrick who probably does 12 every hour.
:rofl:

schocker
12-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Well speak of the devil, there was a maroon 2010 charger poaching people on stoney trail. Was driving along behind a van going towards symons valley rd doing 120 and this charger just whips infront of me cutting me off then I noticed the shadows all in the rear window and on go the lights. :eek:

craigcd
12-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by NewLextasy

Hahaha I am pretty sure you are the guy that drives the lambo in and out of Sagewood. In the summer cops were set up at the bottom of the hill shooting up. The cop was chatting with some people who were walking their dog. The cop heard you coming down the hill and sprinted back to his radar gun with the biggest ticket boner. You werent speeding or slowed down in time. The look on the cops face when he saw you coming was priceless- he totally thought he had a sure thing.

DayGlow
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
There will always be cops who like to write tickets, and dick cops who write dick tickets. The fact that we do have some autominity and discretion is a 2 edged sword. Personally I think we are better off with it even though it can be abused.

Some guys love to write tickets, I'll never understand why, but then again some people enjoy forensic accounting.

J-hop
12-22-2010, 04:53 PM

5hift
12-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
If your at a pool and the life guard says walk on the deck don't run, should they be lenient if you are just sorta jogging, hahaha no.

They are not lenient with the rules. Especially if a off duty CPS member is there.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Veteran+police+officer+charged+with+assault+uttering+threats/3951999/story.html

calgary403
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

They are not lenient with the rules. Especially if a off duty CPS member is there.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Veteran+police+officer+charged+with+assault+uttering+threats/3951999/story.html

"While Global News has identified the officer, police are not officially naming him, saying that under CPS policy, they would likely not identify a member of the public in a similar situation. "

http://calgarycrimestoppers.org/most-wanted/

DayGlow
12-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

"While Global News has identified the officer, police are not officially naming him, saying that under CPS policy, they would likely not identify a member of the public in a similar situation. "

While I disagree with the policy, especially since it was an off-duty incident, you are comparing people wanted on warrants, ie actively avoiding arrest, vs someone who is charged with assault and released on a Promise To Appear, which isn't a media release.

JfuckinC
12-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

HAHAHAHAHA
Scroll to the last guy :rofl:

some real winners in there for sure.

calgary403
12-22-2010, 10:36 PM

While I disagree with the policy, especially since it was an off-duty incident, you are comparing people wanted on warrants, ie actively avoiding arrest, vs someone who is charged with assault and released on a Promise To Appear, which isn't a media release.

I understand what you're saying. I was just using crime-stoppers as an example, but from past newspaper articles and such it seems the CPS does not have any policy against releasing names unless it is one of their own. I just used a bad example.

But I understand what you're saying with people who are wanted vs. people who have been charged and released on recognizance.

1barA4
12-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Kicked in the chest eh?

Anyone think of this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_74oEcT6LpTo/TOhvo9Qg1VI/AAAAAAAAEVI/jDM6FG2x7BE/s1600/RickJamesAura.jpg