PDA

View Full Version : MUTINY in MONTANA (Over pot charges)

CUG
12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/montana_jury_pool_stages_mutiny_over_pot_possessio.php
A prosecutor in Missoula County, Montana was forced to reach a plea agreement in a felony drug case after almost all 27 members of the jury pool said they would not convict the suspect for possessing such a small amount of marijuana.

Touray Cornell was arrested after a search of his house turned up used joints, a pipe, and pot residue. The search was prompted by neighbors complaining that he was allegedly selling drugs, which he reportedly admitted to in an affidavit.

According to <Beaumont Enterprise, Cornell's "criminal history includes numerous felony convictions." But none of this was enough for the potential jurors, who all told District Court Judge Dusty Deschamps that they would not convict him for the pot. "I thought, 'Geez, I don't know if we can seat a jury,'" Deschamps told the Missoulian.

He then called a recess, during which Deputy Missoula County Attorney Andrew Paul worked out a plea deal. Paul described the incident as "a mutiny." Even Cornell's own attorney was flummoxed, calling it "bizarre." "I think it's going to become increasingly difficult to seat a jury in marijuana cases, at least the ones involving a small amount," Deschamps said.

1barA4
12-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Well they are (were?) the state without speed limits so they don't seem to allow the usual idiocy (ZOMG speed kills) affect them

takkyu
12-22-2010, 03:39 PM
The justice system actually worked? Where the Jury gets to decide the fate of the prosecuted properly? Astonishing.

JfuckinC
12-22-2010, 04:01 PM
(Johnny drama voice) "VICTORRRRRRRY!!!"

That truly does make me happy though :)

Guillermo
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Missoula is a great little city!

Also interesting is that in 2006, the voters there passed a ballot initiative suggesting that law enforcement make marijuana offenses (e.g. possession and smoking in public) their lowest priority. :rofl: Obviously, the law enforcement still enforces the law (under which marijuana is still legal), but i think it's great that the public is telling the law to stop wasting money on marijuana and put it instead towards keeping the community safe.

D. Dub
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Exactly!

Holy crap! Talk about wasted money! A jury trial for some roaches, paraphernalia and residue. That's ludicrous.

slinkie
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
used joints , a pipe AND pot residue? and no conviction? whats next...women voting? idiots, he's a menace to society

ZenOps
12-22-2010, 06:45 PM
What is wrong with America?

I used to figure they would get a full jury for a guy sampling the bulk bin aisle ;)

sexualbanana
12-22-2010, 06:48 PM
It's a little surprising considering that Montana has a zero-tolerance policy on drugs. So as miniscule amount as that was, it was in line with the way they had already been practicing drug enforcement

calgary403
12-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by takkyu
The justice system actually worked? Where the Jury gets to decide the fate of the prosecuted properly? Astonishing.

:werd:

I think that is actually more surprising then the plea deal.

Good on them.

Guillermo
12-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
It's a little surprising considering that Montana has a zero-tolerance policy on drugs. So as miniscule amount as that was, it was in line with the way they had already been practicing drug enforcement

you're obviously never been to missoula. ;)

RecoilS14
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Just another step in the right direction to move for the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana in the USA. It might not be a huge step, but a step none the less.

ekguy
12-27-2010, 03:10 PM
:clap: