PDA

View Full Version : cleaning clear retainers after braces?

laser05
12-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey everyone, after having braces for 6 years they're finally off! I have clear retainers that i need to wear full time for a month and i'm having a hard time cleaning them. Just stubborn white spots that are hard to get rid of in cracks/crevices.
i've looked into sonicbrite and other ultrasonic cleaning systems but after reading reviews i haven't been convinced. So how is everyone keeping them clean! thanks.

dizzle
12-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Leave it in mouthwash after you use it. That will help a bit.

J-hop
12-22-2010, 09:01 PM

turbotrip
12-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Leaving it in listerine does work, but the easier way is just use a toothbrush and toothpaste on it

dizzle
12-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

I know with my retainer I was told NOT to do this, it is hard on the plastic it is made out of.

I use polident and brush my retainers regularly, also soak them for a while if the stuff is hard to get off.
Hmm, perhaps I should stop doing that then haha. I'll ask the ortho next time.

SportEL
12-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I had Invisalign and finished the program and just wear the retainers at night. I just brush them with a toothbrush and toothpaste each night. I did the same thing with my sets of aligners.

VWEvo
12-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Fresh Cleanse from Polident, pump style foam that cleans retainers well and helps them feel fresh.

SportEL
12-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Fresh Cleanse from Polident, pump style foam that cleans retainers well and helps them feel fresh.

Yes, I use that once every month as well as that is what my Dentist recommended.

J-hop
12-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by dizzle

Hmm, perhaps I should stop doing that then haha. I'll ask the ortho next time.

yea that was just what my ortho told me, and after spending that much money I figured I should listen to him.

This ortho site says it can also damage the solder on the joints

http://www.bracesbyhenry.com/patient-education/retainers/

dizzle
12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

yea that was just what my ortho told me, and after spending that much money I figured I should listen to him.

This ortho site says it can also damage the solder on the joints

http://www.bracesbyhenry.com/patient-education/retainers/

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!