PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Detector completed.

ZenOps
12-23-2010, 01:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IceCube_Neutrino_Observatory

Its finally completed. The worlds largest Neutrino detector at the South Pole under 2500 meters of solid ice.

I'm not sure if this would detect standard fission/fusion Nuclear weapons explosions, but it should be able to detect if the Hadron Collider makes a god particle that ends up being an unstoppable black hole (that would definitely destroy everything, probably the sun as well.)

The end is nigh! But at least with this smoke detector we will have a little bit of warning time to prepare for it :angel:

Hakkola
12-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Are you serious about 2012 or are you fucking with me?

Your unstoppable black hole comment makes me shake my head, not just the idea, but the proposed result.

Do a little reading up on black holes and how they work.

J-hop
12-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IceCube_Neutrino_Observatory

Its finally completed. The worlds largest Neutrino detector at the South Pole under 2500 meters of solid ice.

I'm not sure if this would detect standard fission/fusion Nuclear weapons explosions, but it should be able to detect if the Hadron Collider makes a god particle that ends up being an unstoppable black hole (that would definitely destroy everything, probably the sun as well.)

The end is nigh! But at least with this smoke detector we will have a little bit of warning time to prepare for it :angel:

lol, the LHC creating a giant blackhole that will suck the earth and sun in is a fallacy created by uniformed people.

Read this and it will give you a better understanding of what actually could potentially happen.

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2008/04/black-holes-at-lhc-what-can-happen.html

I find it kinda funny, my guess is some physicist was talking about the minute theoretical chance that given the existence of a theoretical dimension under theoretical conditions, infinitesimally small black holes may (in theory) be created in the LHC, some bozo news reporter heard this, didn't know what he was talking about, but had seen star trek like four times so he figured he knew his fair share about black holes and got the public all riled up over nothing.

revelations
12-23-2010, 02:45 AM
^

please

stop

quoting

idiocy

ZenOps
12-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Hawking is the one that stated that micro-black holes were possible, and increasingly probable as the Hadron is ramped up in power.

The idiot, is the one who suggested the particle might fall to the centre of the earth. It should technically - fall to the center of the sun.

And have no doubts, that they are talking on order of 20,000 to 1 power output compared to nuclear fission (weaponry or otherwise) Kim Jong Il would be proud!

Neutrinos of course, pass through the earth with great ease. We have no real means of affecting or controlling them, only detecting them. Just like we have no real means of controlling a black hole, no matter how small.

The movie 2012 is interesting. A theoretical Neutrino that interacts with the molten iron of the earth, to heat it up like a glass of water in a microwave or an ice cube in an induction heating coil... Possible sure, but you'd have to figure that the broadband radiation fireball would blow us all up at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLwaPP9cxT4

NuclearPizzaMan
12-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Hawking is the one that stated that micro-black holes were possible, and increasingly probable as the Hadron is ramped up in power.

The idiot, is the one who suggested the particle might fall to the centre of the earth. It should technically - fall to the center of the sun.

And have no doubts, that they are talking on order of 20,000 to 1 power output compared to nuclear fission (weaponry or otherwise) Kim Jong Il would be proud!

Neutrinos of course, pass through the earth with great ease. We have no real means of affecting or controlling them, only detecting them. Just like we have no real means of controlling a black hole, no matter how small.

The movie 2012 is interesting. A theoretical Neutrino that interacts with the molten iron of the earth, to heat it up like a glass of water in a microwave or an ice cube in an induction heating coil... Possible sure, but you'd have to figure that the broadband radiation fireball would blow us all up at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLwaPP9cxT4

This.

This is the dumbest thing ever.

powerslave
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan

This.

This is the dumbest thing ever.

Almost. All that is missing from that quote is his belief that man never landed on the moon.

J-hop
12-23-2010, 12:31 PM

explain to me why it would fall to the center of the sun if it didn't have an initial velocity higher than the escape velocity???

also, that article discusses Hawking radiation, any micro black hole that could be created would instantly evaporate by Hawkings theory.

kertejud2
12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Tens of trillions of neutrinos pass through the Earth every second from the Sun alone, and we're supposed to be worried about what the LHC can do to the Core?

Who (except the Mayans) knew we've been so close to the brink of subatomic annihilation for so long. And from something that doesn't interact with anything to boot. But I guess its always the one you least expect.

ipeefreely
12-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by revelations
^

please

stop

quoting

idiocy

That should be a new forum rule!

Thall shall not quote crazy Uncle ZenOps! :rofl:

:nut:

revelations
12-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

That should be a new forum rule!

Thall shall not quote crazy Uncle ZenOps! :rofl:

:nut:

Makes the ignore function useless !!

ipeefreely
12-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Makes the ignore function useless !!

You mentioned that before haha!

I guess I'm not on your list! :rofl: :nut:

01RedDX
12-23-2010, 06:09 PM

revelations
12-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

You mentioned that before haha!

I guess I'm not on your list! :rofl: :nut:

I cant be the only one who has that nut on the ignore list. :nut:

revelations
12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I promise not to quote his answer for the rest of you.

:thumbsup: :rofl:

ipeefreely
12-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
..... Thanks in advance.

I promise not to quote his answer for the rest of you.

:rofl: :rofl:

:clap:

codetrap
12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2
Tens of trillions of neutrinos pass through the Earth every second from the Sun alone, and we're supposed to be worried about what the LHC can do to the Core?

Who (except the Mayans) knew we've been so close to the brink of subatomic annihilation for so long. And from something that doesn't interact with anything to boot. But I guess its always the one you least expect.

Actually, this is not strictly true...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801b42bf.shtml#tmparity

Note the comment there about cosmic radiation. I have direct experience with this particular issue in my job, and we have indeed correlated the spikes in solar activity to the network issues we see that have no other explainable source.

ZenOps
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Actually, this is not strictly true...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801b42bf.shtml#tmparity

Note the comment there about cosmic radiation. I have direct experience with this particular issue in my job, and we have indeed correlated the spikes in solar activity to the network issues we see that have no other explainable source.

This one - I can tackle. Tinfoil hat on.

I've got a radiation shielded Cisco switch as well, its some sort of special very thick, very heavy steel mix. But... That probably won't help - as the copper ethernet lines and power lines themselves will induct the waves right into the box (its also one of the reasons for using ferrites and radiation absorbing materials a safety precaution.)

Its well known that a solar flare can not only knock out - but completely destroy satellites if the flare is of high enough magnitude. We haven't had one in decades - but the last big one did knock out quite a few electricity transformers on the ground.

Now, could it be cosmic radiation specifically? I'd say no - but any time there is increased cosmic radiation - it can only come from one source - the Sun (or a black hole, but thats a different subject). Which means all sorts of random spikes of radiation at all sorts of crazy frequencies, including focused gamma spikes (which are potentially hazardous to humans)

Gigabit ethernet over copper (1000Base-t), only uses triple signalling on 5 Amplitude. The maximum is 8 (Orthangonal multiplexing) Why? Because stray radiation from normal sources on earth make Orthagonal loose too many packets just due to background radiation and interference sources.

If you are loosing a lot of packets for no reason though - I'd be checking everyones car starters for excessive ignition noise first before blaming the sun (And I'm serious about that) Secondly - replace all Flourescent lighting in the server room with LED or go back to Halogen.

codetrap
12-24-2010, 11:00 AM

This one - I can tackle. Tinfoil hat on.

I've got a radiation shielded Cisco switch as well, its some sort of special very thick, very heavy steel mix. But... That probably won't help - as the copper ethernet lines and power lines themselves will induct the waves right into the box (its also one of the reasons for using ferrites and radiation absorbing materials a safety precaution.)

Its well known that a solar flare can not only knock out - but completely destroy satellites if the flare is of high enough magnitude. We haven't had one in decades - but the last big one did knock out quite a few electricity transformers on the ground.

Now, could it be cosmic radiation specifically? I'd say no - but any time there is increased cosmic radiation - it can only come from one source - the Sun (or a black hole, but thats a different subject). Which means all sorts of random spikes of radiation at all sorts of crazy frequencies, including focused gamma spikes (which are potentially hazardous to humans)

Gigabit ethernet over copper (1000Base-t), only uses triple signalling on 5 Amplitude. The maximum is 8 (Orthangonal multiplexing) Why? Because stray radiation from normal sources on earth make Orthagonal loose too many packets just due to background radiation and interference sources.

If you are loosing a lot of packets for no reason though - I'd be checking everyones car starters for excessive ignition noise first before blaming the sun (And I'm serious about that)

Wow. You really have no idea what you're talking about do you. What you're talking about has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Also, orthogonal multiplexing is a wireless/optical method for data transmission, not a copper one.

It's true the parity error is caused by induction, but only in that charged particles are striking the asics directly and messing up individual bits in on the chip in a particular word, causing the parity error.

And finally, what cisco switch do you have that is equipped with radiation shielding? I find it highly odd that cisco would tell us that there's really no way we could shield against this type of error on our $300k switches, yet you have one that is?

DonJuan
12-24-2010, 12:12 PM
sometimes I wish someone would just build a bullshit detector. It would save the world.

Hakkola
12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
:facepalm: Read about micro black hole evaporation and stability.

Team_Mclaren
12-24-2010, 06:38 PM

non-sense

why would anyone question/challenge ZenOps...
He's the expert in modern warfare, economic, physics, political science ---insert anything here ------

ZenOps
12-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Hawking stated that micro black holes could be created.

He also stated that they would more than likely simply evaporate.

But, one can never be absolutely sure that they would for 100% sure evaporate. Its theoretical to create a black hole to start with, so how can anyone be sure that it would theoretically evaporate as well, instead of snowball into doomsday.

We can barely control Fission - there have been many nuclear reactor incidents. Its actually much easier to leave it uncontrolled (as in nuclear weaaponry)

What makes anyone think we will have an easier time controlling or even predicting a black hole? And at 20,000 to 1 to fission, we won't get a second chance to make a mistake. At least with this new detector array we may have a slight chance of being able to detect a black hole now.

Hakkola
12-26-2010, 12:34 AM
The nuclear incidents happened either due to human error or mechanical failure, not because we "can barely control fission."

They think they can predict a black hole because the math involved makes sense, the same way they theorized they exist in the first place, besides, who the shit said anything about controlling a black hole?

One can not be 100% sure we exist outside of a simulation, so I guess none of this even matters. All we have to do is make sure to save our work after we get anything done and reload that shit dude.

ZenOps
12-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Thats just it: Human error.

If a black hole has the power output of 20,000x fission (reasonable estimate)

Then a black hole incident comparable to a three mile island accident has the potential to contaminate or destroy nearly half the hemisphere in a singular incident, even if the black hole dissipates.

Admittedly, the majority of the radiation would be of such high energy levels, the aforementioned neutrinos - they should technically pass right through the earth without interacting.

But maybe not? Neutrinos that might interact with iron, much like gamma rays and broadband radiation heating up water (to drive generators in standard fission nuclear power plants)

Its a very solid theory - Neutrinos at specific frequencies actually "should" interfere and/or be absorbed by iron, much like how lead will absorb gamma. And that usually means heat, lots and lots and lots of heat. 20,000 times more heat than a fission bomb.

If I had one question it would be: What exactly are the side effects of a theoretical black hole evaporating? I'd assume it would be nothing like water evaporating. Would it be potentially earth or sun shattering in that split second, just like the split second detonation of a fission device?

I like doomsday scenarios, they are fun.

revelations
12-26-2010, 06:06 PM
"Doomsday Detector completed"? - this thread should be more appropriately titled "Bullshit detector completed"