PDA

View Full Version : Go old guys!

C_Dave45
12-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Here's an acquaintance of mine..a fellow tile setter in the States. He's 47 and about 5'6". 195 lbs @ 10%

460 lb bench
_K-GRyikkqM

TomcoPDR
12-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Come on man.

I've seen you do double that.

C_Dave45
12-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Come on man.

I've seen you do double that. HAHAHA...Don't think I'll EVER get to that!! (the 460 that is) That guy has actually done 5 plates!! I'll be happy when I hit 3 plates. (of course, I said the same about two plates)
My last workout my bench was 275x3

no_joke
12-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I can't wait for my Old Man Strength (OMS) to kick in.

Lex350
12-24-2010, 06:00 PM
being an old guy I have to ask why? Good to be in shape but...I don't know... I really don't care if I lift 200 or 400. I don't get the point of it. But that's just me. Good on him for being able to do it.

J-hop
12-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
being an old guy I have to ask why? Good to be in shape but...I don't know... I really don't care if I lift 200 or 400. I don't get the point of it. But that's just me. Good on him for being able to do it.

fact of the matter is a lot of lifters are not in good shape. Being strong and being fit are not synonymous. It is extremely obvious in kickboxing, you get these jacked guys in our gym that absolutely gas after 45 mins of mixed cardio and sparring while the rest of use keep pushing.

I think that is awesome, but I doubt I would ever want to do that when I'm older, your body just can't take that kind of abuse when you hit a certain age.

My dad is a fitness freak, and used to be an amazing skier. He put his back out doing moguls though and has since had reoccurring back problems and never been the same. He loved it while he could do it but there comes a point where you have to evaluate what kind of risks you can take and accept the biological fact that your body can not repair itself like it used to.

Canucks3322
12-25-2010, 10:59 PM
^ who cares...people do things and strive to accomplish things that make them feel good...why do all these morons abuse their joints and bones and hips and feet by running this things called "marathons"?

C_Dave45
12-28-2010, 07:46 PM
*shrug* its just personal goals. Some guys are content with doing nothing. Some are content with being 400 lbs and drinking a 6 pack every night. Others try to always push forward and see how strong/fit/big/skilled they can be at whatever sport brings them pleasure.

I'll never lift 500 lbs, but to say someone who can is out of shape is being extremely naive. I started working out last year. I run 10 miles a week, play hockey once a week and lift 3 times a week. For myself, it brings me joy. The chemicals that the body releases when exercising fight depression. The "high" you get can't be explained until you've experienced it. I like to see how far I can go.

My latest acheivment:

WuacD0L7-5o

Lex350
12-28-2010, 07:53 PM
I know all about using exercise to fight depression. Shit I just came through a 28 month divorce battle! I'm at the gym 5 times a week and one day for hockey (in the summer I ride 35km a day). I understand the need to still push yourself...but just how much?

Modelexis
12-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
My latest acheivment:

Can't really tell from the vid what weights were on the bar.

It looks like 225 in the vid 45 25 10 5
275 would look like 45 45 25

or?

liquidboi69
12-28-2010, 08:41 PM
^ 45, 35, 25, 10. You can tell it's a 35 and not a 25 because the diameter is close to the 45. 25's are about half the diameter.

Nice lift Dave!

C_Dave45
12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I know all about using exercise to fight depression. Shit I just came through a 28 month divorce battle! I'm at the gym 5 times a week and one day for hockey (in the summer I ride 35km a day). I understand the need to still push yourself...but just how much?

Ahh you get it then. Thats awesome. Sure helps doesn't it? As for how much...thats different for every person I guess. I can't answer it myself. I'll let you know when I get there lol.

Originally posted by liquidboi69
^ 45, 35, 25, 10. You can tell it's a 35 and not a 25 because the diameter is close to the 45. 25's are about half the diameter.

Nice lift Dave!

Thanks man. I'm looking for more 45's, as dealing with all those plates is just a pain. Hard to find just 45 lb plates kickin around.

Lex350
12-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Ahh you get it then. Thats awesome. Sure helps doesn't it? As for how much...thats different for every person I guess. I can't answer it myself. I'll let you know when I get there lol.

Thanks man. I'm looking for more 45's, as dealing with all those plates is just a pain. Hard to find just 45 lb plates kickin around.

:) to each there own... For bench I usually just limit it at 205lbs. That's 25lbs more than I weigh so its good enough.

KRyn
12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Nice work your bench is coming along very well! How are you shoulders feeling? You should start benching with an arch and getting that three plates will be much easier!

kutt3r
01-01-2011, 09:41 AM

*shrug* its just personal goals. Some guys are content with doing nothing. Some are content with being 400 lbs and drinking a 6 pack every night. Others try to always push forward and see how strong/fit/big/skilled they can be at whatever sport brings them pleasure.

I'll never lift 500 lbs, but to say someone who can is out of shape is being extremely naive. I started working out last year. I run 10 miles a week, play hockey once a week and lift 3 times a week. For myself, it brings me joy. The chemicals that the body releases when exercising fight depression. The "high" you get can't be explained until you've experienced it. I like to see how far I can go.

My latest acheivment:

WuacD0L7-5o

Your buddy is in a multiply open back shirt... I would think he should be pressing 500's at least. Still a nice lift.

Your bench looks good, fix a couple things and 300 would be easy. Widen your grip, tuck your elbows, get some leg drive, 300 would be cake. Nice bench, great attitude :thumbsup:

C_Dave45
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by kutt3r

Your buddy is in a multiply open back shirt... I would think he should be pressing 500's at least. Still a nice lift.

Your bench looks good, fix a couple things and 300 would be easy. Widen your grip, tuck your elbows, get some leg drive, 300 would be cake. Nice bench, great attitude :thumbsup:
Yeah he's done 505, but not at a meet.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try them on the next chest day. Here's my New Years Resolution: (I'm 20 lbs away. Did 295 in Vernon over the weekend)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/0beeba30.jpg

max_boost
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Damn you guys can bench lots lol

I can only bench my body weight lol