PDA

View Full Version : Photog's PC Monitor Recommendations?

Ed the SOHC
12-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey beyond photogs,

I just want your recommendations on PC monitors, specifically good for viewing/editing photographs? My biggest problem is that I currently have a glossy monitor that, at different viewing angles, show different hues, contrast, etc... I want something that is more consistent.

Also, is there a recommended minimum size? I was thinking anything greater than 21" would be good.

My ideal budget would be around $300 but if there's a compelling reason to exceed that I can/would.

TIA!

Mitsu3000gt
12-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Your budget is pretty small so the main feature you will want to look for is an IPS panel. In your price range I think DELL is going to offer you the most for your money. You'll still want to calibrate it though.

Something like this:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors_Flat_Panel_Widescreen/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-9270&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=18&~ck=dellSearch

And a good cheap calibrator like the Pantone Huey or the Xrite Eye-one LT.

On a tight budget I don't think you'll do much better if you are going for color accuracy, etc.

msommers
12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Is something* after that going be in the 800-1000+ range for a dedicated monitor like an NEC?

Ed the SOHC
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Your budget is pretty small so the main feature you will want to look for is an IPS panel. In your price range I think DELL is going to offer you the most for your money. You'll still want to calibrate it though.

Something like this:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors_Flat_Panel_Widescreen/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-9270&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=18&~ck=dellSearch

On a tight budget I don't think you'll do much better if you are going for color accuracy, etc.

Thanks...

What's the price range for a middle-range monitor and which one would you recommend? I don't necessarily need to go super high end but I definitely don't want to be at the bottom and forced to rebuy like I am now.

Mitsu3000gt
12-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Is something* after that going be in the 800-1000+ range for a dedicated monitor like an NEC?

Yeah, there was a thread on that not too long ago. More like $1000 minimum if you want 24" or bigger from NEC with their hardware calibration stuff included.

For the vast majority of people the IPS panel Dells w/ software calibration are fine and quite a bit cheaper. I've been using one for years, prints look exactly the same as the screen. The main difference is that with the Dell's you're doing a software calibration, so you need to re-do it every couple weeks or so (I just do it before I edit pictures, for everything else the calibration doesn't really matter to me). The NEC hardware calibration is much more permanent.

Mitsu3000gt
12-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

Thanks...

What's the price range for a middle-range monitor and which one would you recommend? I don't necessarily need to go super high end but I definitely don't want to be at the bottom and forced to rebuy like I am now.

Roughly $500 for a 24", $800 for a 27", $1500 for a 30".

That 23" I linked you to at $339 is good bang for the buck. The key is an IPS panel, most (cheap) monitors have a TN panel.

You can shop around a bit but DELL is pretty solid for upper mid-range monitors.

Seahorsepower1
12-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry to high jack the thread but if I were to look into getting a laptop for photo editing, what would I have to look for and would I also need a calibration software as well?

Or should I just stick to a desktop and buy the monitor stated above W/calib software?

Thanks for the help

msommers
12-24-2010, 10:27 PM
I use a laptop and I found it hard as hell to edit with because the screen would shift slightly depending on the angle. I ended up getting a Samsung syncmaster (?) and I don't know how great it is still albeit better than a laptop. I'm using Spyder 2 I think right now.

Thanks Mark, I'll probably pick up the one you linked soon. Do the IPS monitors go on sale very often?

djayz
12-24-2010, 10:37 PM
I use a laptop and I found it hard as hell to edit with because the screen would shift slightly depending on the angle. I ended up getting a Samsung syncmaster (?) and I don't know how great it is still albeit better than a laptop. I'm using Spyder 2 I think right now.

Thanks Mark, I'll probably pick up the one you linked soon. Do the IPS monitors go on sale very often?

I believe the Dell U2311 was on sale for $199 just a few weeks back.
I picked up the U2711 and I know I was contemplating a triple monitor setup with the U2311's and it was cheaper then the single U2711 which came out to $800 at the time.

Ed the SOHC
12-24-2010, 10:56 PM
It was the U2211 that was $199 but that's still not bad considering regular price is $319.

polishman
12-24-2010, 11:18 PM
I have a 22" 1680x1050 Dell 2209WA IPS monitor, it is a matte screen - nice viewing angles; (it is one of the best bang buck IPS monitor for photography pro level etc.. with usb ports and stuff on it, just google it). If you like you can buy it off me PM me

Mitsu3000gt
12-25-2010, 01:03 AM

Yes Dell puts their monitors on sale all the time. If your not desperate I'd wait a bit and see what prices look like over the next little while.

Ed the SOHC
12-31-2010, 07:18 PM
FYI... Dell has their monitors on sale right now.

Dell - UltraSharp U2311H 23-inch - $239
Dell - UltraSharp U2211H 21.5-inch - $199

msommers
12-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Ya I saw that today...fuck I shouldn't be spending more money! I need to get rid of my 22" Samsung syncmaster I have now

Ed the SOHC
12-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I picked up the 23". It costed $263.55 after taxes (gst and environmental tax). I can't wait!

msommers
01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
When is the sale over? Jan 3?

Ed the SOHC
01-01-2011, 06:20 PM
:dunno:

I'm sure it'll be on sale again.

msommers
01-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Ordered mine too :) 21.5"

Muji
01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
FYI... Dell has their monitors on sale right now.

Dell - UltraSharp U2311H 23-inch - $239
Dell - UltraSharp U2211H 21.5-inch - $199

The 23 is more money from Dell USA, hard to believe:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9270&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Muji
01-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Deal of the week, I think.

24" from Dell Canada $189, reg $329, it EVEN CHANGES FROM LANDSCAPE TO PORTRAIT:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors_Flat_Panel_Widescreen/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-9327

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=hotdeals_monitors

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Muji
Deal of the week, I think.

24" from Dell Canada $189, reg $329, it EVEN CHANGES FROM LANDSCAPE TO PORTRAIT:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors_Flat_Panel_Widescreen/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-9327

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=hotdeals_monitors

That's not an IPS panel, just FYI if anyone was planning on getting one for photo editing.

Ed the SOHC
01-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Ordered mine too :) 21.5"

Sweet! I see you sold your other monitor in 1 day!

Muji
01-02-2011, 10:40 AM

That's not an IPS panel, just FYI if anyone was planning on getting one for photo editing.

True, good catch. Did not notice it, good for general use only.

Monitor types on the market, what you need to know:

http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/?tag=rb_content;contentMain

Muji
01-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Something like this:

Mitsu3000gt can one rent a calibrator in the city? Would a monitor hood and proper calibration solve the OP issues? My thinking is a hood and calibration could be had for far less than a new monitor which will need calibrating anyway and might not be as good as the one it is replacing.

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Muji

Mitsu3000gt can one rent a calibrator in the city? Would a monitor hood and proper calibration solve the OP issues? My thinking is a hood and calibration could be had for far less than a new monitor which will need calibrating anyway and might not be as good as the one it is replacing.

The problem with calibration is that it is just software based unless you go with the really high end monitors (NEC, etc. where it is hardware based). So, with the software calibration, it works well but it should be re-done every couple weeks, or at least before you edit a bunch of photos. Calibration only takes a few minutes and is mostly automatic. A good calibrator can be had for $100-$150, either the Pantone Huey or XRite Eye One LT are good choices. You'd be better off just buying a calibrator.

I suspect the OP is using a cheaper TN panel monitor, so a hood & calibration probably wouldn't fix all his issues. TN panels are the worst for accurate colors and I don't believe they calibrate particularly well. VN panels don't calibrate well either. For accuracy and consistency in an LCD the only way to go is an IPS panel.

Muji
01-02-2011, 03:14 PM

The problem with calibration is that it is just software based unless you go with the really high end monitors (NEC, etc. where it is hardware based). So, with the software calibration, it works well but it should be re-done every couple weeks, or at least before you edit a bunch of photos. Calibration only takes a few minutes and is mostly automatic. A good calibrator can be had for $100-$150, either the Pantone Huey or XRite Eye One LT are good choices. You'd be better off just buying a calibrator.

I suspect the OP is using a cheaper TN panel monitor, so a hood & calibration probably wouldn't fix all his issues. TN panels are the worst for accurate colors and I don't believe they calibrate particularly well. VN panels don't calibrate well either. For accuracy and consistency in an LCD the only way to go is an IPS panel.

Thanks for the explanation, the buying part also explains why the only guy I know owning a calibrator, is also a semi-pro photographer.

msommers
01-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Sweet! I see you sold your other monitor in 1 day!

Yes much to my surprise, hell even for my asking price!

Ed the SOHC
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Dell - UltraSharp U2410 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor is $449 this week.

Just a heads up

Ed the SOHC
01-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Ok. I went to check the status of my order as I was really expecting to come last week and for some reason my order was CANCELED!????

I used their tool to find "lost" orders and didn't find anything under my customer number. So, I tried calling their customer service line but they don't work weekends - that's retarded, imo. So I call their sales line, which not surprisingly is open 24/7, and the rep said there was a system glitch that had canceled a lot of online orders and they will be sending out new order numbers soon. I'm cautious to believe him because I just think he wanted me off the phone so he can make his next sale but I had to accept it until Monday when their customer service open.

msommers, have you checked the status of your order yet?