PDA

View Full Version : Why we should say 'Merry Christmas'

hampstor
12-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I'll keep this short and just note on a few thoughts I had.

I've never done the 'happy holidays' part and always said 'Merry Christmas' because it felt like the right thing to do. In this past year i've got to know quite a few politicians and was surprised that none of them said 'happy holidays'.

An MP recently said we live in multicultural country, we "do" every holiday, and it's Christmas' "turn". He insisted that all the cards he sent out said 'Merry Christmas' on them. It got me thinking about why we should all give up the 'happy holidays' "Politically correct" bit when I don't know any politicians that actually are pc about Christmas.

No religion or culture say some "politically correct" greeting when it comes to their own holidays/celebrations/festivals. Canada is multicultural country - we are not a melting pot - we are meant celebrate and embrace the diversity of each other's cultures.

It upsets me that some people can say, "You come to Canada, you have to conform to our culture". Why do I need to do that? It's a guaranteed right and freedom that I can bring my culture with me and not give it up. It's the same thing when someone says to me, "i don't celebrate Christmas". That's nice and I respect you for not celebrating it, but that does not mean that I can't celebrate it the way I was supposed to.

"I will be respectful to your culture, please respect mine" should be changed to, "I will join you in celebrating your culture, please join me in celebrating mine". We might actually all be able to get along.

Eid Mubarak
Happy Diwali
Gong Hay Fat Choy
Chuc Mung Nam Moi
Chanukah Sameach
Edit: Feliz Navidad
Merry Christmas!

D'z Nutz
12-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Minh, I'll be over tonight or tomorrow with a "holiday present" for your boy :rofl:

sexualbanana
12-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I figure if I'm going to not work Christmas day, then I should be saying merry Christmas because in some remote way I'm celebrating it.

hampstor
12-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Minh, I'll be over tonight or tomorrow with a "holiday present" for your boy :rofl:

Please change it to a 'Christmas present'. I will not conform to your non-culture. :D

syeve
12-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I agree with everything in the thread.

Signed-
Eggnogstic.

Isaiah
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Feliz Navidad on behalf of Beyond's Latino contigent.

ExtraSlow
12-24-2010, 12:08 PM
The Herald has an editorial with this same sentiment today.

Calgary Herald - Merry Christmas proof of inclusivity (http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/Merry+Christmas+greeting+proof+inclusivity/4022606/story.html?cid=megadrop_story)

and I heartily agree. I've wished my Muslim friends a happy Ramadan before. I've even gung hay fat choy'ed before. I don't actually celebrate those traditions, but I don't feel it matters.
You don't need to share someone's faith or heritage to acknowledge thier holidays.

G-ZUS
12-24-2010, 12:15 PM
:werd: I don't get some people! You don't celebrate Christmas? Great! But that doesn't mean other people can't celebrate or enjoy their holiday. Even though I don't celebrate it, I still wish my friends and colleagues who do, a merry christmas. :facepalm: People with no better things to do then complain about this.

JAYMEZ
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Happpppy CHristmas :thumbsup:

I was always told to say Happy Xmas if you are sober , and merry xmas if you are drinking... Not sure if thats true or not , maybe its just a british thing to say happy xmas.

hampstor
12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The Herald has an editorial with this same sentiment today.

Calgary Herald - Merry Christmas proof of inclusivity (http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/Merry+Christmas+greeting+proof+inclusivity/4022606/story.html?cid=megadrop_story)

and I heartily agree. I've wished my Muslim friends a happy Ramadan before. I've even gung hay fat choy'ed before. I don't actually celebrate those traditions, but I don't feel it matters.
You don't need to share someone's faith or heritage to acknowledge thier holidays.

I know quite a few that feel this way - i'm glad there was an editorial about it cause it's more reinforcement for this sentiment.

I am curious about where the 'politically correct' sentiment came from. I've never really known anyone pc about Christmas. It just seemed to appear in public out of nowhere one year and everyone thought it was the 'safe' and respectful thing to do.

J-hop
12-24-2010, 12:43 PM
We should make a new thread that reads "Why we shouldn't give a shit about what greetings we use for the holidays"

This so sad..... we are sensitive to other cultures, so we say "happy holidays" now we are getting all sensitive about be sensitive to other cultures. How embarrassing

Who really cares, let people say what they want to say.

Cos
12-24-2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.crocktees.com/_images/life/holiday_terrorists.png

hampstor
12-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
We should make a new thread that reads "Why we shouldn't give a shit about what greetings we use for the holidays"

This so sad..... we are sensitive to other cultures, so we say "happy holidays" now we are getting all sensitive about be sensitive to other cultures. How embarrassing

Who really cares, let people say what they want to say.

Apparently a few of us care not to put up with the 'politically correct' crap and think it was wrong in the first place. Go make your own complaining about mine as you suggested. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

diamondedge
12-24-2010, 01:00 PM
chuc mung giang sinh!

J-hop
12-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Apparently a few of us care not to put up with the 'politically correct' crap and think it was wrong in the first place. Go make your own complaining about mine as you suggested. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

hehe, but telling people they should say merry christmas is just as bad as those politically correct people saying you should say happy holidays.

You guys are like prochoice fighting prolife. No one wins and everyone feels a little dumber after.

Don't concern yourself with what few words someone uses to try to be nice to you. Get over it and enjoy the season, no one really cares in the end.

hampstor
12-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

hehe, but telling people they should say merry christmas is just as bad as those politically correct people saying you should say happy holidays.

You guys are like prochoice fighting prolife. No one wins and everyone feels a little dumber after.

Don't concern yourself with what few words someone uses to try to be nice to you. Get over it and enjoy the season, no one really cares in the end.

While I appreciate what you're saying, I don't believe it's wrong to be concerned about over political-correctness in public when it creates misunderstandings.

The political correct sentiment has been a concern of mine for a long time because I'm one of the visibile minorities being pc is supposed to "be nice to". Being a visibile minority, I see people tip-toeing around me by trying to be politically correct all the time. It's fake, not natural, at times uncomfortable and goes well beyond the words "Merry Christmas". People immediately get 'on guard' when they start talking about ethnicities/culture/visible minorities when it really isn't necessary.

I have to be clear tho - aside from a few thoughts I put together here on beyond, it's not like I campaign about this like a cause.

4bier
12-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Buon Natale e chi non piace andare cazzo se stessi

CUG
12-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

People immediately get 'on guard' when they start talking about ethnicities/culture/visible minorities when it really isn't necessary.
I see that often. It's not something I do, because it completely defeats the idea of equality. Everyone's good, everyone's bad. Merry Christmas, and enjoy a Christian Holiday even if it's not your thing :)

adidas
12-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I always laughed at those people that got offended by someone saying "Marry Xmas" to them.

thetransporter
12-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by adidas
I always laughed at those people that got offended by someone saying "Marry Xmas" to them.

I know just as many Muslims saying Merry Christmas. but its too bad other people get offended.

kevie88
12-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Happy Sol Invictus day!

"It was a custom of the Pagans to celebrate on the same 25 December the birthday of the Sun, at which they kindled lights in token of festivity. In these solemnities and revelries the Christians also took part. Accordingly when the doctors of the Church perceived that the Christians had a leaning to this festival, they took counsel and resolved that the true Nativity should be solemnised on that day."

December 25th is a celebration of the birth of the sun after the winter solstice.

Hmm.. the birth of the sun..

birth of the son..

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

kvg
12-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Soo true.

Unknown303
12-24-2010, 11:43 PM
If someone is to sensitive to enjoy Christmas, and wish people merry Christmas then maybe they should work it. It maynsolve a lotof problems and then we always have propel working year round.

; last sentence should read: it may solve a lot of problems and then we always have people working year round.

.norco.
12-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by 4bier
Buon Natale e chi non piace andare cazzo se stessi

i lol'd :D

baygirl
12-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
... It maynsolve a lotof problems and then we always have propel working year round.
:rofl: Are you indulging in a little christmas cheer?:D

Unknown303
12-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

:rofl: Are you indulging in a little christmas cheer?:D

Oh wow. My iPad hung me out to dry there. But seriously I am really drinking right now. Watching Netflix.

baygirl
12-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Oh wow. My iPad hung me out to dry there. But seriously I am really drinking right now. Watching Netflix.
I;m drinking, and I hi-jacked my sister's facebbok account for fun...
/:hijack:

Unknown303
12-25-2010, 12:02 AM

So you want to go and try a little P in the A or what?

Jk

baygirl
12-25-2010, 12:04 AM
^^I got excited, and then I saw the just kidding...:cry: :cry: :cry:

j/k

EM1FTW
12-25-2010, 12:20 AM
So annoying.
Who cares if people are offended by "Merry Christmas"
What if I'm offended by "Happy Holidays"

I'm not going to change how I say something I have said my whole life for a bunch of stuck up people who can't embrace others culture.

I would almost guarantee anyone who says "Happy Holidays" would be offended if you said that to them on one of their major holidays.

Don't be a prick just because you don't celebrate it.

EM1FTW
12-25-2010, 12:23 AM

pics of sister?

jsn
12-25-2010, 12:49 AM
I was sitting at the barbers shop a few days ago waiting for my turn and as one customer was getting ready to leave, he said:

"merry christmas! Oh oops.... Happy holidays"

All I could think of was, who gives a shit.

PsychNerd
12-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Merry Christmas Everyone! This is how I like to say it and it's not changing.

by the way, "Gong hay fat choy" is for Chinese new years and it translates to something like congrats on getting rich haha. Merry Christmas in Chinese is "sing dan fai lok" or "sheng dan kuai le" in mandarin.

=]

CUG
12-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
Happy Sol Invictus day!

"It was a custom of the Pagans to celebrate on the same 25 December the birthday of the Sun, at which they kindled lights in token of festivity. In these solemnities and revelries the Christians also took part. Accordingly when the doctors of the Church perceived that the Christians had a leaning to this festival, they took counsel and resolved that the true Nativity should be solemnised on that day."

December 25th is a celebration of the birth of the sun after the winter solstice.

Hmm.. the birth of the sun..

birth of the son..

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus I've never met a pagan. Do they still exist?

Christmas or Christmas Day is a holiday observed generally on December 25 to commemorate the birth of Jesus, the central figure of Christianity. Christmas is central to the Christmas and holiday season, and in Christianity marks the beginning of the larger season of Christmastide, which lasts twelve days.[12]
Although nominally a Christian holiday, Christmas is also celebrated by an increasing number of non-Christians worldwide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas
Merry Christmas Kevie

4bier
12-25-2010, 08:38 AM
merry christmas to all, and happy holidays to special people

Xtrema
12-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Christ gave me 2 paid holidays, at least give some credit to the guy.

Merry Christmas.

Redlyne_mr2
12-27-2010, 11:13 AM
You need to get a life if you're offended by people wishing you a Merry Christmas. It's funny, in Calgary I see Happy Holidays everywhere. In Banff, Red Deer, Canmore basically the smaller centers it's all Merry Christmas. We live in Canada where this holiday is a huge part of our culture.

Tik-Tok
12-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
You need to get a life if you're offended by people wishing you a Merry Christmas. It's funny, in Calgary I see Happy Holidays everywhere. In Banff, Red Deer, Canmore basically the smaller centers it's all Merry Christmas. We live in Canada where this holiday is a huge part of our culture.

Here's the thing though, it seems Canada has more concerned with what other cultures think of certain things, then other cultures actually having grievances.

One person of another ethnicity/culture complains about something, and 10 people immediately try rectifying the situation, so they won't be considered racist. :rofl:

Unknown303
12-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Here's the thing though, it seems Canada has more concerned with what other cultures think of certain things, then other cultures actually having grievances.

One person of another ethnicity/culture complains about something, and 10 people immediately try rectifying the situation, so they won't be considered racist. :rofl:

We spend so much time being considerate to other cultures I hope oneday they decide to be considerate to ours. If it's part of our heritage why not celebrate it. Do we just say happy holidays during other times of year when other cultures have special events or do we say something related to it.

snoop101
12-27-2010, 11:52 AM
I really could care less what people say. I would rather have someone say happy holidays then nothing at all or even worse be bitchy during Christmas.

On a side note. Isn't Christmas a religious holiday? Why are people getting culture and religion mixed up.

Tik-Tok
12-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by snoop101

On a side note. Isn't Christmas a religious holiday? Why are people getting culture and religion mixed up.

It's evolved into both. Modern day Santa, reindeer, christmas trees, getting drunk at parties, and the season of being consumer whores has nothing to do with the supposed birth of Jesus H. Christ

I'm agnostic, but still celebrate it. Not for the religious aspect, but just a time of year to be close to friends and family.

ipeefreely
12-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Christ gave me 2 paid holidays, at least give some credit to the guy.

Merry Christmas.

He gave me three!! :love:

A very Merry Christmas! :rofl:

It's evolved into both. Modern day Santa, reindeer, christmas trees, getting drunk at parties, and the season of being consumer whores has nothing to do with the supposed birth of Jesus H. Christ

I'm agnostic, but still celebrate it. Not for the religious aspect, but just a time of year to be close to friends and family.

:werd:

Melinda
12-27-2010, 08:14 PM

This is us exactly.