PDA

View Full Version : Smelling gas - not good, right?

Steel Angel
01-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Okie, I'm cruising along McKnight up to a stop light, and I get this familiar odour of gas in the car. No car in front of me (head of the line), so it can't the car exhaust of another car, and I smell gas, enough to almost puke :barf: ...

From what I can tell, it's always from when I'm idling (waiting to turn, at a stop light, etc). I know I'm due for an oil change very soon, but should I make an appointment asap about this? Or is it something else altogether?:dunno:

tt398
01-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Could be your evaporative emissions device having problems.
This is a charcoal filled cannister that absorbs the evaporated gasoline from your fuel tank - then recycles the fuel to your engine intake. Sometimes these devices foul up in winter time.

I noticed the fuel smell only on bitterly cold days - it went away when the temperature warmed up. Go figure..

:confused: :confused:

sandman
01-06-2004, 11:35 PM
might b ur injector seals?
they contract a LOT more now that its cold....?

hearse
01-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Since you didn't mention that the car was running funny (which might suggest an ignition or computer problem where the car is running really rich) I don't know if it's a huge problem that might need attention immediately.

I agree with sandman, things just don't run right when it's this cold. Also fumes and exhaust tend to hang in the air a lot more at these temperatures, and of course if you have the defrost or heat on full blast from outside, the first place it's going to go is inside.

Pete92SL
01-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Do you smell it in the morning when you go to your car?

I see that your car is new, but that doesn't mean that your gas tank hasn't corroded out. They go out really early or last a long time. That is from my experience anyways.

I would get it checked out anyways. Gas isn't the safest thing in your car :) Good luck!

Pete

hearse
01-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Personally I don't see how the smell of gas could want to make someone barf. When I smell gas (especially race gas) it gets me all excited.

Sai
01-07-2004, 10:20 AM
I like the smell of gas :P i must be weird. lol

Steel Angel
01-07-2004, 01:35 PM
The smell of gas is weaker in the garage when I go in. Still there though .. but okie, I'll get it checked out ...

switch
01-07-2004, 02:14 PM
I am your saviour.

I had the same problem last week, smell of gas in the cabin when the weather goes below -20, so I did some research. It is a factory defect in ALL 2002 WRXs -- fully covered by the mfg warranty.

Mine is getting fixed at Charles English tomorrow morning, they are doing 8 all together this week.

Here is the actual service bulletin:

http://members.nasioc.com/UserPics/4832/tsb.jpg