PDA

View Full Version : Britten: Backyar Visionary. Awesome documentary!

Toma
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Never seen this before... almost a "modern" version of "World's Fastest Indian", very inspiring story, and unbelievable achievement.

John Brittens backyard built bike takes on the best at Daytona....

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/britten-backyard-visionary-1993

Graham_A_M
12-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah he was absolutely surreal.

This would be a pretty incredible world if we had more people like him in it.

That bike was 20 years ahead of its time back then, 170bhp from a Vtwin 1100 is now Ducati's latest offering abiet at a $30k pricetag. only this is 20 years before. Considering how much bikes evolve even within just 5 years, I dont think anybody can refute the significance of that.

Just a shame he isn't here today. Im just amazed they built the engine for that, and EVERYTHING else in their garage..... for next to nothing.

:rofl: :rofl: Absolutely brilliant.
I can see him as a very high up RD development exec for any of the car or bike companies today, just his approach towards everything was amazing.... but even so that word alone doesn't do it a bit of justice.

interesting to see the oil pan on the bike, the one they heat treated with swimming pool water and a ceramics furnace. :D

EDIT: Here is the DVD about the whole story. With additional footage of the Isle of Man and other race tracks
http://www.brittendvd.co.nz/
^ So very interesting looking at that bike, just all the different takes on the differing suspension systems, frame design and everything else. Just brilliant in every sense of the word.
:thumbsup:

m10-power
12-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Yes he was an amazing mind/talent, I've seen one of those bikes when i was at an AMA national at laguna seca a bunch of years ago. Amazing to see in the flesh.

Toma
12-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

EDIT: Here is the DVD about the whole story. With additional footage of the Isle of Man and other race tracks
http://www.brittendvd.co.nz/
^ So very interesting looking at that bike, just all the different takes on the differing suspension systems, frame design and everything else. Just brilliant in every sense of the word.
:thumbsup:

So is this the same thing as I posted with additional footage, or is a complete different story?

I need this for my collection I think lol

Graham_A_M
12-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Sorry for the tardy reply, I didn't want to make a post from my Iphone.
anyway,
I think its just an addition to the story you've posted.

Plus it goes on past the date of your original documentary, as they later take the bike to the Isle of Man and a few other races. I dont know how the story ends though, so I think I'd end up buying that DVD, and I can make a copy for it if you want. Otherwise I'll see if I can DL it as a torrent.

EDIT: No torrents available! :rofl: I guess I'll be buying a copy. ;)

Originally posted by kevie88
I have "One Man's Dream" on VHS tape, I'd love to get it converted as it's a great documentary.

There are lots of companies that can do that for you. :thumbsup:

kevie88
12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I have "One Man's Dream" on VHS tape, I'd love to get it converted as it's a great documentary.