PDA

View Full Version : Initial Computer Setup

Bushy
12-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I got an acer computer for christmas, and must do the initial setup on it (desktop). It doesnt appear it came with any disks... When i turn it on it says loading windows then goes to a black screen and nothing. When I hit f12 and go into safe mode it says setup for first use, then says it must restart in normal mode and goes to a black screen. Anyone know how to do this initial setup? Am i missing the startup disk? Thanks

captain134
12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
probably doesn't come with any disks(most computers come preloaded with all software). It should just turn on and do the first time setup. Might be a problem with it. How long have you let it set on the black screen? Windows was obviously pre-loaded so it should just work.

Bushy
12-27-2010, 02:20 PM
im guessing somethings wrong with it, that sucks. When you turn it on it says starting windows, has the 4 colored window pane, then goes black. Have tried leaving it there for 20min but nothing happens.

Tripz
12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
It should be preloaded with an OS, I would exchange it for another unit

Grogador
12-27-2010, 11:01 PM
You probably won't want all the junky crap that it comes pre-loaded with anyway so just try to talk them into a retail version/keys of Win7 that you can install from scratch, then use http://ninite.com to get the apps you actually want on it...

Bushy
04-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys, heres what ended up happening. Bought an acer desktop for future shop for christmas, was bad out of the box. Took back, replaced over the counter but never got new paperwork, as it was december 27 and they were just pushing people thru the line. brought the new unit back and it set up ok, but occasionally got the blue screen. Within 4 weeks it was so bad we could not use it. Took it to future shop and they said it was software and not covered, and to call acer. Acer said there records say it was purchased in november becasue I never got that new paperwork, and could fix it but I would have to pay $100 for shipping. I argued with them as it was happening since day one, they would not budge. Went back to future shop to get them to fix it and fought with me for 2 months, saying they only cover hardware. I downloaded there troubleshooting software and ran it and it said hardware failure. So I took it back, they rechecked it and said it was software. Fought with the manager, and he said he would reload windows if I backed off. They called me 4 days later saying they could not load windows as there was a hardware failure. They replaced the motherboard. So I was out a computer for 2 months because of there incompetance, it was a hardware issue that should have been covered by my 4 year extended warranty the whole time. Got the computer back and it would not turn on... Took it to staples and they found that the tech at future shop when hooking up the power switch to the motherboard, off set the pins so it was not hooked up correctly... Stay far away for future shop when it comes to computers. Bunch of idiots there.

revelations
04-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Bushy
Thanks for the help guys, heres what ended up happening. Bought an acer desktop for future shop for christmas, was bad out of the box. Took back, replaced over the counter but never got new paperwork, as it was december 27 and they were just pushing people thru the line. brought the new unit back and it set up ok, but occasionally got the blue screen. Within 4 weeks it was so bad we could not use it. Took it to future shop and they said it was software and not covered, and to call acer. Acer said there records say it was purchased in november becasue I never got that new paperwork, and could fix it but I would have to pay $100 for shipping. I argued with them as it was happening since day one, they would not budge. Went back to future shop to get them to fix it and fought with me for 2 months, saying they only cover hardware. I downloaded there troubleshooting software and ran it and it said hardware failure. So I took it back, they rechecked it and said it was software. Fought with the manager, and he said he would reload windows if I backed off. They called me 4 days later saying they could not load windows as there was a hardware failure. They replaced the motherboard. So I was out a computer for 2 months because of there incompetance, it was a hardware issue that should have been covered by my 4 year extended warranty the whole time. Got the computer back and it would not turn on... Took it to staples and they found that the tech at future shop when hooking up the power switch to the motherboard, off set the pins so it was not hooked up correctly... Stay far away for future shop when it comes to computers. Bunch of idiots there.

Nice wall of text.

Coles:

FS sucks ass. Their techs couldnt even put together a 10 piece picture puzzle.