PDA

View Full Version : Canada Post is stupid. How do I stop my package from being returned?

Mar
12-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I received a delivery notice at my house in Calgary on December 16 so they will, according to their website, hold it for 14 days before sending it back to the USA. I won't return to Calgary for another 10 days or so which means I have no way of going there myself and picking it up. I do have a friend of mine staying at my place while I'm gone and he is picking up my mail so he has the delivery slip there but they obviously won't give the package to him.

- I tried calling their customer service and the machine just hangs up on me after a minute or so, I called 10 times already.
- I just went to the post office here in Newfoundland and was told they couldn't do anything.
- Last week was the only time I got through to customer service and was told there are absolutely no other options, I couldn't get it redelivered nor rerouted without going into the post office myself.......though maybe I can do that here, never thought of that. Not sure why she didn't suggest that tonight when I was there.
- I asked about having someone else pick it up, having it delivered here, having it held, they said they couldn't do any of it unless I went into the post office there in Calgary which I obviously can't do.

Am I absolutely out of options? The woman at the post office tonight only told me I can come back tomorrow when a more knowledgeable staff member will be working.

lilmira
12-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Ask them if they except photocopy of your driver's license with a letter of authorization for another person to receive the package.

sh0ko
12-27-2010, 06:24 PM
dont even get me fucking started on how stupid canada fucking post is i have been in the same situation as you plenty of times and there is NO way around it. the addy the card must match the addy on ur license. case closed. its their new "security" policy. fuck. fedex dosent even check that NOR does ups.

they SHOULD accept (not except hehe) a photocopy of your liense with letter of authorization but i believe there was more to it. im pretty sure that person must be living with you or have their own license with the same addy or ur SOL. thats waht they told me about 15 times. im probably black flagged by them considering ive complained countless times

good luck to you... and all you gotta do is freak the fuck out at the post office after x amount of times. it worked for me. lol

sh0ko
12-27-2010, 06:25 PM
^ oh and im pretty sure the notice card must be signed by you if you are to take this route

PeterGTiR
12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Unless this is the same as "calling customer service," you could call the post office where it's being held. Just call five minutes before it opens or closes so that you can talk to someone. Then ask them to hold it until you get back.

Mar
12-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
dont even get me fucking started on how stupid canada fucking post is i have been in the same situation as you plenty of times and there is NO way around it. the addy the card must match the addy on ur license. case closed. its their new "security" policy. fuck. fedex dosent even check that NOR does ups.
I've been lucky with that so far, my license has an address on it that I haven't lived at in 5 years and I've ordered at least 65 things from Ebay so far this year. Thankfully they just check the name and give me the package.

Originally posted by PeterGTiR
Unless this is the same as "calling customer service," you could call the post office where it's being held. Just call five minutes before it opens or closes so that you can talk to someone. Then ask them to hold it until you get back.
That would make too much sense. For some retarded reason when you search a specific post office location on their website, the contact number displayed is the general 1800 customer service number. I don't know how to get the actual post office unless I call Shoppers Drug Mart and ask them to transfer me over....I should try that tomorrow.

PulsePro
12-27-2010, 08:46 PM
In my experience, all they needed was another mail with the same address to your place and it's good to go. A buddy of mine did that for me while I was away on vacation.

HiTempguy1
12-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I call Shoppers Drug Mart and ask them to transfer me over....I should try that tomorrow.

Get your buddy to go to the post office the package is at and ask for a direct line contact number for you.

Done!

Mar
12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I went back down to the post office again today because I was told the more experienced employee would be there. Ya, she took the day off today, ask me if I'm surprised. But the girl there said she spoke with her manager and there's nothing they can do. I asked her if I could do a change of address and she said that takes 5 days to go through. I asked if I could do a hold on my mail and she said I have to do that at the post office closest to my house, I cannot do it anywhere else. Great.

So I got home and called Shoppers Drug Mart nearest my house and they transferred me to the post office:
post office: hello?
me - Hi, do you have a direct line for me to call you at?
post office: Sorry, don't understand what you say.
me - Do you have a direct line I can call you at?
post office: No, don't understand what you saying.
me - A direct line.....to call you. Do you have a direct line there?
post office: Oh yes, line 4.

Nice, I've decided to now abort that plan that's obviously going nowhere and move onto the package. She tells me she's going to put me on hold for 5 minutes because she has to do a Moneygram for someone...WTF? Okay.

4 minutes and 55 seconds later someone picks up the phone and asks me if they can help me. WTF is going on over there? She takes all the details and successfully agrees to hold the package for me....SUCCESS! Finally, why was that so hard?

[Yu]
12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Hmm, I don't know why it was so hard for you. The first thing I thought of when my package arrived and I was not at the city of the postal office was to just phone the post office that it goes to. I asked to get it hold for more than the 14 days they do, BAM done.

You made it sound so painstaking to get through all of this.

Maybe I just had it lucky, but all the other things you tried did not even come to my mind.

403Gemini
12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]
Hmm, I don't know why it was so hard for you. The first thing I thought of when my package arrived and I was not at the city of the postal office was to just phone the post office that it goes to. I asked to get it hold for more than the 14 days they do, BAM done.

Maybe I just had it lucky, but all the other things you tried did not even come to my mind.

This is what i've done in the past and it's always worked :dunno:

WhippWhapp
12-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Generally if you call or talk to someone in person, PO workers are reasonable as long as you aren't being a prick.

Plus, most of them seem to be women so they are easy to sweet talk. :dunno:

garnet
12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
call them at 1-800-267-1177 number, and demand a hold and re-direction of the parcel

i've had no end problems with C-post, registered mail issues mostly, they don't even ring the house & try delivery, just put notice in the box
right now they are investigating "2" registered letters that they have lost of mine! :rolleyes:

Mar
12-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]

When you look up a specific post office on the website it doesn't give you their number, it lists the customer service contact number. So you can't really call a place that doesn't have a telephone number.

Originally posted by garnet
call them at 1-800-267-1177 number, and demand a hold and re-direction of the parcel

i've had no end problems with C-post, registered mail issues mostly, they don't even ring the house & try delivery, just put notice in the box
right now they are investigating "2" registered letters that they have lost of mine! :rolleyes:
That's the number I called. Call it and wait, it'll hang up on you.

garnet
12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
weird? that's the one i used, no problems
it maybe that if you called monday, then they would be off for stat day

Originally posted by Mar
That's the number I called. Call it and wait, it'll hang up on you.

Honda EXR
12-28-2010, 09:05 PM
If the post office is in a store, i.e. Shoppers, Rexall, etc. call the store and there will be an option to talk to the post office. I've done it a hundred times. They will also accept an authorization note.

djayz
12-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by garnet

I had this happen to me, the only solution they had was dropping it off regardless of if sig. was required at the front door. First package that came was left on the first step while it was pouring rain, box and everything inside was soaked. 2nd package didn't even show up, no slip no package, lost forever. 3rd was the slip again, went to pick it up at the post office next day and they didnt have it then it shows up at my door the following day. That was game over haha never shipped with canadapost unless absolutely necessary.

clem24
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Try scanning your license, write up a note saying I give permission to buddy to pick it up, sign it and scan the document to your buddy with your full contact and have him pick it up at the P.O.

EDIT: BAH someone beat me with authorization note LOL.

HHURICANE1
12-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Won't work. I had a parcel that my dad tried to pick up for me. In order for him to pick it up they require you both to sign a form, together, at the post office to give that person authorization. They changed the pick-up rules and now you need to have ID to pick-up parcels and you need to sign for it. It's a giant PITA!

eblend
12-29-2010, 05:06 PM
guys...anyone read the posts at all...this is resolved
:dunno: