PDA

View Full Version : How long does the I've been scammed by ______ stay on top of google for?

max_boost
12-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Sorry for the long title haha

But I'm curious,

If you google Jeremy Mani or Sean Banerjee, they are the first link. How long does it stay like that for?

Can someone confirm this too. I presume one of the first things an employer does now is google the applicant's name and obviously if the first link is "SCAMMED BY _________"

That ain't good lol for obvious reasons.

Now how much of that will affect future employment?

Thanks.

Jeremiah
12-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Now: Googling Max_Boost's Real Name

PulsePro
12-27-2010, 10:23 PM
damn, I thought you were Jeremi Mani, Sean Banerjee, or Andrew Yip. You're the beyond bully lol.

I think it only gets bumped down when another goes to the top of the list?

Why, were you a scammer? Or is your name very common?

If they only read the title and not actually read the thread, then your employer is an idiot. If they read the entire thread and determined that it wasn't you (primarily because of location), it shouldn't affect you in any way.

It's a hit and miss. Mcdonalds won't give a fuck but Microsoft probably will.

dannie
12-27-2010, 10:32 PM
I google every person that I might bring in for an interview. Depending on what turns up on google, it may or may not sway my opinion on calling them in. If the google results show something as massive as the Jeremy Mani or Banerjee thing, I would definately take the time to read thru it.

That being said, lots of people don't think. I have a resume on my desk that has her email address on it as sexy_kitten###@**** Come on. Really??? I wouldn't bother to google that one because I know that its going to be duck pout photos and barstar pics.

However, as a perspective employer, you do have to take it all with a grain of salt.

topmade
12-27-2010, 10:40 PM
They stay on top until something else trumps them, so I hope those two specifically stay on top forever for any future perspective employer to see.

swak
12-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dannie

That being said, lots of people don't think. I have a resume on my desk that has her email address on it as sexy_kitten###@**** Come on. Really???

haha....

If i was an employer and got that email on a resume, id shred it immediately.

People are fucking dumb.

With that being said though, i had a buddy whose email was ___second_cumming##@xxxx.com

That is funny, and deserves an interview though.

Mar
12-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Until another website has better SEO properties to match the search terms. If I had the time I'd take the challenge to make one to see if I could do it myself.

That.Guy.S30
12-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Sorry for the long title haha

But I'm curious,

If you google Jeremy Mani or Sean Banerjee, they are the first link. How long does it stay like that for?

Can someone confirm this too. I presume one of the first things an employer does now is google the applicant's name and obviously if the first link is "SCAMMED BY _________"

That ain't good lol for obvious reasons.

Now how much of that will affect future employment?

Thanks.

It will stay there until you deliver my NSX :rofl:

FraserB
12-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I google my real name and my usernames twice a month just to make sure lol.

Shlade
12-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Did you scam somebody out of their ginger beef and give them mixed vegetables instead?

:rofl:

PulsePro
12-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

But I'm curious,

Suuuurrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee. I never google my name because 1. There's too many that share my common last name. 2. Even with the vast amount of names, no one has scammed anyone that shares my name. 3. On google images, there's a picture of a black dude sucking some other guys dick and 4. I'll never scam anyone :)

max_boost
12-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Haha no I didn't scam anyone but I just wanted to know the lasting effects after CSi did their thing :D

Cos
12-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by PulsePro

Suuuurrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee. I never google my name because 1. There's too many that share my common last name. 2. Even with the vast amount of names, no one has scammed anyone that shares my name. 3. On google images, there's a picture of a black dude sucking some other guys dick and 4. I'll never scam anyone :)

WHAT!!!!! haha

I am a baseball player in the US and my user name is a really famous engine builder. I'm lucky in anonymity.

J-hop
12-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Cos
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

hahahaha, yea I even shake my head at people handing in resumes with hotmail or gmail addresses on them, even if they are just their name without any inappropriate bs. Take the few minutes to create a legit shaw etc email account.

Some of my friends from the U do this (which is stupid because we all have U of C emails), they ask me to proof their resume and I can't even read passed the first line because it bugs me so much!

I don't agree with that. Gmail and hotmail isn't sinister and doesn't reflect poorly on the candidate. If you pick a proper username is all that can be asked.

Even if you have a job you still need a gmail account for other offers, your bills, etc.

Unknown303
12-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah no kidding. There isn't a more accessible email client that Gmail. I can access it from anywhere on any one of my devices and you can have multiply accounts linked together. To me it's the perfect client and years ahead of shaws email.

J-hop
12-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Unknown303
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Strange that you'd have your Gmail account hacked. Maybe you need better passwords? My old hotmail one was hacked and since abandoned, I've had my Gmail addresses for ages now and have never had issues with them. Have one for junk and the others personal. Different passwords for each so there's no finding one and getting the other that easy.

Mibz
12-28-2010, 11:17 AM
GMail doesn't get hacked, you do.
I'm trying to transition from Shaw to GMail specifically for the accessibility and security.

Did you know Shaw's webmail interface truncates entered passwords? If you have an 8 character password go ahead and enter it with lksdhglfsdkyghnoagoacgo on the end. You'll still get in. If you have a password longer than 8 chars, go ahead and just enter the first 8. You'll still get in.

Muji
12-28-2010, 11:19 AM
I have had a hotmail address since 1998 and dozens of Gmail address, never had a hack on any. Your passwords must suck, got hacked at a public computer, someone nailed it off a public WiFi, etc.

Stay away from idiotic email addresses when job hunting, my wife is in the HR department, she trashes anything with a questionable address. If you cannot figure out an email address like parti24/[email protected] is a negative, you are too stupid to be employed at her work place. Not like the bar is that high, fog a mirror on any given Tuesday and you stand a chance of getting hired.

HR will Google your FaceBook, Twitter, etc as well. It all needs to be clean or at least blocked from bad viewing.

bastardchild
12-28-2010, 11:35 AM
It stays at the top until he gets more credible backlinks (from other higher PR sites) to his name.

J-hop
12-28-2010, 11:42 AM

max_boost
12-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Ya so does bumping the thread on Beyond have any effect on google?

If you search Jason Fillion's name, the guy who scammed habshabs, he's at the bottom of google.

J-hop
12-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Tik-Tok
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Just googled name for the first time in years because of this thread. I don't think an employer has a chance in hell of finding anything about me, lol.

The #1-1000 results for (my name) and Calgary, is a US sports caster reporting on Flames games, lol.

Oh, and a poor guy that has a brain tumor... or wait... maybe that is me?

Mibz
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
EDIT: wat

Skyline_Addict
12-29-2010, 10:21 AM
well problem with gmail specifically is its lack of security. I have had my account hacked twice and it seems about once a month I get an email from a friend about "try these pills for an extra 2 inches on your junk".

when they hack your email (at least the 2 times they did mine), they use a bot that spams every person that you have ever sent an email or anyone that has sent you an email. So in my case I was on a club mailing list and because everyone in the clubs email was on the recipient list of emails I received, they all got spammed.

This means in the case of a large company as an employer, sending anything to a persons unsecure email could open up large numbers of people to spam

I have personally never had a problem with my shaw account ever, and don't know anyone that has ever had security issues with it.

Also, security issues aside. As a potential employer, seeing someone with a shaw etc email address shows me that this person is at least potentially established. Where as anyone off the street can get a gmail or hotmail account.

I was specifically told by an HR rep at a large company I worked for last summer to NEVER put a hotmail email on your resume, it looks bad. I assume Gmail would be the same.

I see nothing wrong with having a hotmail or gmail address as long as the name in front of it isn't outlandish, like some of the ones mentioned above. the most conservative you can get is [email protected], but since most people don't do that, I can see why it can normally raise flags. I think the argument regarding security is null. It is not like you'll be using that e-mail address for work, once you get hired. If they somehow manage to get spammed by your account, I'm sure it'll go straight to their junk mail.

When I was jon hunting earlier this year, I used my hotmail address. I got atleast a phone call or interview for every job I applied for, and some employers even corresponded by e-mail the entire time. These were big companies with HR departments that play it by the book. My username was my chinese name, so it didn't have any innuendos (and probably didn't make any sense to anyone else anyway).

But seriously, having a shaw account being seen as making you potentially better off vs a person without one made me LOL. Yeah, because paying 40 bucks a month for extreme-high-speed is a membership to the mile-high club. :rofl: Come'on man, you need to have internet access before you have e-mail, not the other way around.

Cos
12-29-2010, 10:41 AM

This means in the case of a large company as an employer, sending anything to a persons unsecure email could open up large numbers of people to spam

Wait are you talking about a company using Gmail addresses? We are talking about having your gmail address on your resume. Because in your post that I quoted that seems to be what you are inferring.

I know I dont want other job offers, shaw bill, fido bill going to my work email so that it gets cluttered. Also if I leave the job or lose my job I dont want to lose control of stuff like that. No one expects you to use your present employer email as the main communication email when you are shopping around.

Also, security issues aside. As a potential employer, seeing someone with a shaw etc email address shows me that this person is at least potentially established. Where as anyone off the street can get a gmail or hotmail account.

I was specifically told by an HR rep at a large company I worked for last summer to NEVER put a hotmail email on your resume, it looks bad. I assume Gmail would be the same.

I am not sure if you have been involved in any hiring, but most people I interview, where they got their email address is of little concern to me. What is the problem if the person is 'off the street' if they look like a good candidate? 95% of the time we wont interview you because of your experience, your grammar, your tactic to get us to interview you, or your references or reputation. I would never look at someone who has a gmail address and throw it out.

If you are that concerned dont put it on the resume at all. We always call an interviewee before we bring them in. You only need an email address for offers but sometimes those get mailed anyways.

gqmw
12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow this thread got derailed hard. But j-hop I don't know where you see a problem with hotmail or gmail addresses when they're just your name. In no way do employers hire a person with a shaw email address over a hotmail one. It doesn't make sense.

Wrinkly
12-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

...<snip> When I was jon hunting earlier this year, I used my hotmail address. <snip>

:rofl: