PDA

View Full Version : Broken water shutoff valve

Billy2K
12-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Hey guys,

This is one item (among many others) that needs to be fixed in my (recently purchased) townhouse.

The (main) water shutoff valve is broken. I have no idea how they did it. But it looks like the thread on that valve has been stripped. I can't tell if it's a plug valve or a ball valve.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/Billy2kPublic/brokenvalve.png

It might be possible to turn it with some vice grips or some pliers, because it looks like the previous owners did just that.

It's not leaking, nor anything is leaking in the house, but it is blocking some of the renos I need to do with the place.

I'm trying to get in contact with the property management that runs this place. They might know if there's another shut-off. But it seems like everyone is on holidays. :(

Is this be something the City of Calgary would take care of?

barmanjay
12-28-2010, 01:22 AM
no,.. the city of calgary will not take care of it

however,.. they will shut off the water main to your complex or unit so you can have it changed.

there might be something in the condo docs for your townhouse regarding water shut-off.If the water is going to be shut-off for your complex,.. you would have to give everyone notice.

garnet
12-28-2010, 03:22 PM
yikes ^^ exactly right

you can try calling city emergency services, they can act faster, and may send out one guy to shut off for just enough time to replace the valve

IMO get a replacement valve and tools at the ready to do this quik when opportunity comes
changing the cartridge/valve unit is otherwise straightforward DIY

normal notice is min. 24 hours from property managment company to tenants

AE92_TreunoSC
12-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Side question, do plumbers freeze the pipe if worse comes to worse?

I don't know much about plumbing but I hear the freeze pressure pipes under different scenarios.

garnet
12-28-2010, 04:14 PM
? no, no if you freeze a pipe with h2o in it, then it will 'burst', meaning it will split open (literally) because the ice expands and forces open

for this the case, the main water pressure must be turned off (since it is the outside source) and the valve replaced

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Side question, do plumbers freeze the pipe if worse comes to worse?

I don't know much about plumbing but I hear the freeze pressure pipes under different scenarios.

Billy2K
12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm still waiting for a reply from property management to see if there's a shared utility room that contains another water shutoff (most likely there is because there is definitely no room for a water meter around that broken valve).

Have you guys used Sharkbite fitting/valves? I saw these at Home Depo the other day. I don't know how good they are, or if they'll be able to withstand the pressure from our water lines.

barmanjay
12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
In townhouse complexes, the end units will likely have the water meters if there is no utility room/building.
Knock on your end unit neighbors door?