PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of nuisance renter neighbors.

LollerBrader
12-28-2010, 11:24 AM
The crackheads across the street are increasingly becoming a nuisance, and it looks like it's going to be the lesser of headaches to get rid of them.

They're renters. What is the process to go about finding out the landlord's contact information?

Muji
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I had the same situation before, call the cops as often as possible. The police non-emergency line will know as soon as you call who you are calling about, they keeps records and are quick to ask if it involves the same people as previous calls. Call the city and complain about noise, garbage issues, open pit fire with burning lumber, rats (that gets them going), some family living in a tent in the backyard, people living in the garage, snow/ice removal (make the fuckers take every sliver of ice and snow off the sidewalks), unregistered vehicles, parking violations, etc. For a while you will have the city, police, etc on speed dial. Eventually the city starts fining the owner, slumlords hate paying bills for their tenants and start evicting. The owner of the property I had issues with is a well known real estate/developer lawyer, who would have thought? Freaking lawyers, first against the wall.

You need to get the owner involved financially or it does not work, slumlords are cheap as they come, outing them in public on forums is good too. Google is a great way to have slumlords lose face; a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc hates to be outed as it discredits their "profession". It takes months, I was going to visit the owner's home if the situation was not cleaned up. All the records are at City Hall, taxes need to be paid and the ownership records are public information if you dig deep enough.

Google the address in question, often there is a paper trail for the owner.

Crack house cleared out now, made way for construction of a big condo.... construction noise and mess now.... moving to the country and growing peaches seems the only solution.

ercchry
12-28-2010, 11:50 AM
we lucked out, our crackhead neighbors got kicked out due to their house being condemned :rofl:

i thought for sure that was going to lead to an infill going in next to us and noisy construction for months on end, but instead they are renovating it! win win. no noise, and hopefully going to be priced out of the range of stupid jersey shore wannabes for the future!

CUG
12-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader
The crackheads across the street are increasingly becoming a nuisance, and it looks like it's going to be the lesser of headaches to get rid of them.

They're renters. What is the process to go about finding out the landlord's contact information? You're an army of one - Wage War.

derpderp
12-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Yah contact the police as much as possible and hopefully they will eventually get tired of the police presence harassing them they'll leave.

Finding the home owners information won't be easy probably, would it be possible to acquire public records on the property who might indicate the owners? Or maybe look the address online? Ask the neighbors?

Neighbors might be the best help, if they are average people they are probably just as annoyed by all this as you.

talonboi
12-29-2010, 01:52 PM
calling the police too many times for random little things can get you on the "chronic complainer" list with the police and will ignore your complaints.

its happened to my neighbor who was constantly calling the police on us for having our music on while cleaning the cars at 2pm, cutting the grass to early/late in day (9am/6pm) too many cars parked on the road (i live on a corner, maybe 5 cars parked on a weekend)

the police came by all the time and even chatted with us, and simply told us it would be the last time they would come by if the same neighbor would call in for a complaint and add them to the chronic complainer list

spike98
12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Wait till they leave and burn the house to the ground. Nothing says "Fuck you, crackheads!" than a little arson.

ddduke
12-29-2010, 07:24 PM

They're renters. What is the process to go about finding out the landlord's contact information?

What exactly are they doing that bothers you so much? Have you tried talking to them? Maybe giving them shit will straighten them out.

Why is it second nature for everyone in Calgary to immediately call law enforcement or the city every time something bothers them in their community?

kvg
12-29-2010, 07:39 PM
^^ My question exactly. :dunno:

peteski
12-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

What exactly are they doing that bothers you so much? Have you tried talking to them? Maybe giving them shit will straighten them out.

Why is it second nature for everyone in Calgary to immediately call law enforcement or the city every time something bothers them in their community?

Because true born and raised Calgarians have a sense of self entitlement as big as this great province we live in.

I live next door to a crackhouse and across the street to another one. Beat downs, drug deals, cops here daily, the list goes on. When I'm out changing my oil or whatever I'm doing outside those guys are always trying to sell me all kinds of loot for crack money, I just chat it up with them, just let them know that I'm not interested but whatever, carry on, so long as it doesn't directly affect me. I just keep it friendly, hoping that sooner or later most will make the right choice and change lifestyles. It's those POS (mostly ethnic) dealers coming and going 30x a night who park in my stall when one of my trucks is on the street that I have a problem with, I always call the cops on those guys. The crackheads don't shit in their own backyard. Dealers wouldn't know respect if it ran them over. I understand that we all pay taxes to keep low lifes out of our neighborhoods, but sometimes not acting all above and beyond about it is the best course of action. Mind you, I live alone here, if I was raising a family I would just move. But the scourge is everywhere. 8 balls in Marlborough and Forest Lawn, multi-kilos in Aspen and Wentworth. There's really no winning. At the end of the day, know and be cool with your neighbors, IMHO that's the best solution. And leave your empties out for the bottle pickers. That's better than any insurance policy or alarm system.

LollerBrader
12-29-2010, 08:10 PM

I won't get into specifics, but will instead answer in principle.

It's my observation that if adults don't understand how to act properly, bringing it to their attention isn't going to make much difference, and will limit your ability to escalate the matter.

Civilized people don't need to be told how to be good neighbors. Uncivilized people should be encouraged to move without exposing ones family to risk.

sr20s14zenki
12-29-2010, 08:17 PM

It's my observation that if adults don't understand how to act properly, bringing it to their attention isn't going to make much difference, and will limit your ability to escalate the matter.

Civilized people don't need to be told how to be good neighbors. Uncivilized people should be encouraged to move without exposing ones family to risk.

Agreed, good people know how to be good people. Those are the ones you can talk to. My neighbors are all awesome, they stay out of my hair, and i am confident none of them will call the bylaw if my lawn gets too long, or for multiple vehicles on my parking pad, etc etc...nobody gives a shit. My one neighbor used to leave his light on outside all the time, and we were chatting one day and i asked him if he left it on for security, hes like no, why do you ask, and i told him it shines right in our bedroom window. Bam, the next night and since then, its been off, because hes a reasonable human being like some people should be. I remember when we lived in an apartment building in airdrie, and this bitch upstairs (4 plex, one on top one on bottom, same on the other side) would ALWAYS call the landlords for everything, EVERYTHING. Well, one night she called the bylaw to get back at us for taking her parking spot, and said we were having a wild party. I answered the door in my boxers, i was in bed watching tv at the the time. Even invited the officer in, she said "no, thats fine, i think i see whats going on here have a nice night". Well, i kept listen at the door, and she had a very "stern" conversation with that bitch. The bitch moved out a month later, those are the people that need to move on and quit making other peoples lives suck. So glad i have my own place now....

kvg
12-29-2010, 08:23 PM

Not to be a dick, but man up and talk to them. If it continues then deal with them as you see fit.:dunno:

Cos
12-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Is it a house or a townhouse? That can severely affect how you go about this.

sr20s14zenki
12-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Not to be a dick, but man up and talk to them. If it continues then deal with them as you see fit.:dunno:

yah, im all for talk, for sure, but something tells me, in this situation trying to reason with them, will end with having one of them poop on his windshield, or rape his dog...or something to that effect.

kvg
12-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

yah, im all for talk, for sure, but something tells me, in this situation trying to reason with them, will end with having one of them poop on his windshield, or rape his dog...or something to that effect. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

derpderp
12-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Growing up in a shitty neighborhood I understand you can't deal with everything, drunk teenagers: whatever; pot smoking people: whatever; welfare bums: whatever.

But not hard drug addicts and I would never be interested in living near a drug house, those people attract all sorts of bullshit, devalue property, shit up your neighborhood and attract real criminals (organized crime), sorry but I ain't living near anyone who puts me at risk of stray bullets.

I support OP for not wanting to live near them.

LollerBrader
12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Brinkmanship, dick swinging, and "Playing chicken" are great strategies for young men who are renting. With a family, however, one must act with greater finesse.

ddduke
12-30-2010, 12:30 AM

When I was younger I used to have afterparties 2 or 3 times a week, with no noise complaints and constantly had friends over which meant 5 or 6 cars parked outside all the time.

I didn't think my neighbours cared because noone complained or said anything. One day I was outside and my next door neighbour came up and asked me to tone it down or atleast keep it to weekends only because I kept him up. After that I almost completely stopped having people over.

I think it's worth talking to them first before becoming some creepy window stalker calling in icy sidewalks, expired tags, long grass, etc.

A few years ago my dog got under the fence and one of my neighbours called it in instead of telling me the dog got away (next door neighbour, so he knew the dog and he could obviously tell I was home). When the dog catcher brought the dog back he told me who called it in. Point of this story is that there's a chance of them finding out who's fucking with them. Then if these guys are as retarded as you claim they'll probably do something fucked up to you or your family.

You're obviously too scared to come up to them and deal with this face to face, so you'll probably be lost when your crackhead neighbour starts an altercation with you for fucking with them. Think about that for a second.

CUG
12-30-2010, 12:41 AM

Brinkmanship, dick swinging, and "Playing chicken" are great strategies for young men who are renting. With a family, however, one must act with greater finesse. I'm not really posting at you, just in general (it's not that I think you're a tosser) I respect and admire strategy over brute force and gossip. It lasts much longer and provides a more gratifying payout.

kvg
12-30-2010, 01:09 AM

Brinkmanship, dick swinging, and "Playing chicken" are great strategies for young men who are renting. With a family, however, one must act with greater finesse.
I'm married with 2 kids and have found talking to nabours solves any issues. I'm friends with all my nabours because I shoot the shit with them. Anyways I don't know your issue petty or major. So cops or bylaw enforcement might be you only way of dealing with them on the down low.

turbotrip
12-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by kvg
nabours

CUG
12-30-2010, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
he's a driller.

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by kvg

I'm married with 2 kids and have found talking to nabours solves any issues. I'm friends with all my nabours because I shoot the shit with them.

Agreed. With the homeowners on the street, good relations go far. With crackheads and renters, OTOH...

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 07:11 AM

When I was younger I used to have afterparties 2 or 3 times a week,
A few years ago my dog got under the fence and one of my neighbours called it in instead of telling me the dog got away

Sounds like you're a shitty neighbor, relying upon others to set your boundaries for you, instead of proactively being a good neighbor. Your neighbors are not your parents. Don't want to be.

You're obviously too scared to come up to them and deal with this face to face, so you'll probably be lost when your crackhead neighbour starts an altercation with you for fucking with them. Think about that for a second.

Spoken like a dick-swinging 20 yr old that thinks it all comes down to a contest of direct physical dominance.

Believe me, I have nothing to fear physically from the scrawny crackhead across the street, other than the fact that he has nothing to lose by burning my house down.

derpderp
12-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Or harassing your children, breaking into your car.

I don't get the mentality of this thread, I get nobody likes the guy with the police on speed dial. But a bunch of drug addicts are not the types of people you walk up to and ask to stop smoking crack, bringing dealers, prostitutes and desperate criminals around.

Rationality isn’t a virtue of the hardened drug addict, just getting the next fix is.

peteski
12-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Agreed. With the homeowners on the street, good relations go far. With crackheads and renters, OTOH...

See that's part of the problem right there... "with crackheads AND renters..." A statement like that has me assuming you think you're some hot shit that's better than the next guy just because you have a mortgage in Calgary... Yes there are 100's of bad renters for every 1 or 2, believe me I know. But generalizing and painting us all with the same brush like that isn't gonna help your cause.

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by peteski

See that's part of the problem right there... "with crackheads AND renters..." A statement like that has me assuming you think you're some hot shit that's better than the next guy just because you have a mortgage in Calgary... Yes there are 100's of bad renters for every 1 or 2, believe me I know. But generalizing and painting us all with the same brush like that isn't gonna help your cause.

It's not about classism, it's about being a stakeholder.

People who own houses on the block care what happens on the block. Meanwhile, renters come, renters go. Some are a nuisance, and some aren't.

Abeo
12-30-2010, 09:45 AM

It's not about classism, it's about being a stakeholder.

People who own houses on the block care what happens on the block. Meanwhile, renters come, renters go. Some are a nuisance, and some aren't.

First you say it isn't classism, then you imply that renters don't care about the neighborhood they live in....

It goes both ways. I've seen bad renters, sure, but I've also seen the guy who spreads his shit everywhere and leaves his house half renovated for years. People don't change if they owe the bank money for a house or not.

kvg
12-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Renters aren't your problem, jackasses are. Next to me is a rental and in 7 yrs all of them have been great. ddduke sounds like a young reasonable person at the time of his issue. It honestly sounds like your scared to confront this person and don't take that as an insult just an observation. Is there no way to deal with it head on?

ddduke
12-30-2010, 10:08 AM

Sounds like you're a shitty neighbor, relying upon others to set your boundaries for you, instead of proactively being a good neighbor. Your neighbors are not your parents. Don't want to be.

I used to be a shitty neighbour, I was 20/21. I've grown out of that and get along really well with my neighbours now. As for the dog, that doesn't make me a shitty neighbour, the thing dug out a hole behind some shrubs, it happens.

Spoken like a dick-swinging 20 yr old that thinks it all comes down to a contest of direct physical dominance.

Believe me, I have nothing to fear physically from the scrawny crackhead across the street, other than the fact that he has nothing to lose by burning my house down.

Actually it's spoken like a realist. I realize that if you start harassing them then they'll probably do something petty to you/your family. I also realize that spoken words can go a long way. I'm actually trying to help you.

Obviously you think you're better then renters and you're pretty stuck up. Then why don't you move to a nicer area where you most likely won't have to deal with issues like this. When you live in the north east it kind of comes with the territory.

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Actually it's spoken like a realist. I realize that if you start harassing them then they'll probably do something petty to you/your family. I also realize that spoken words can go a long way. I'm actually trying to help you.

Stating that I'm "too scared" to talk to the renter is your way of helping...? Haha.

You're sure full of love for crackheads.... why don't you come down, give them a hug, and ask them to be responsible neighbors?

They're probably just slightly misguided individuals who require a touch of parental-type guidance to show them the right way.

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by kvg
It honestly sounds like your scared to confront this person and don't take that as an insult just an observation.

That's because both you and duke are tactical thinkers, looking only in the moment to moment.

I know that such an interpersonal interaction, regardless of outcome, would limit my strategic options down the road.

You probably have no idea what I'm talking about - And that's ok.

kvg
12-30-2010, 11:07 AM

That's because both you and duke are tactical thinkers, looking only in the moment to moment.

I know that such an interpersonal interaction, regardless of outcome, would limit my strategic options down the road.

Strategic options or anonymous actions? When this "renter" finds out these "stragegic" actions were yours what are you going to do? By communicating with him you will be thinking longer term than just moment to moment as you put it. Is there illegal activities going on at the house? Then talk to the CPS.

Edit: By strategic do you mean acting like a curtain creeper or a vandal?:dunno:

peteski
12-30-2010, 01:07 PM

You probably have no idea what I'm talking about - And that's ok.

OK I'm gonna be the one to say it-you're a pompous self righteous stuck up fuck, you probably start your day with a 12 dollar latte each day and you think your shit don't stink.

Or at least you come off that way.

Since you're all that why not just STFU , borrow more money 'cuz you can, move to Springbank Hill where you belong, and quit whining to people on here that are just trying to help you out.

roll_over
12-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Put down "The Art of War" and hug it out bitch. Why don't you tell us how you feel, and what they did to make you feel this way?

We all want to help but you won't let us help you. do they sell drugs are they just trashy and loud or maybe are you just old and love to complain?

sr20s14zenki
12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Strategic options or anonymous actions? When this "renter" finds out these "stragegic" actions were yours what are you going to do? By communicating with him you will be thinking longer term than just moment to moment as you put it. Is there illegal activities going on at the house? Then talk to the CPS.

Edit: By strategic do you mean acting like a curtain creeper or a vandal?:dunno:

I just have to say, i dont know about the talking thing. if he DOES say "hey guys, can you stop doing what you are doing or can we compromise" or something to that effect, they may say 'why dont you fuck off, or we'll shit on your car". Now, hes basically screwed for ANY other options, because if they have ANY brain in their heads, when the cops start coming, and reports start being made, the FIRST person that will come to mind will be HIM....

just saying.....

In these situations, it really comes down to using your best instinct. I can usually tell if somebody isnt going to be approachable. Its like walking around in LA asking the crips why they dont get along with the bloods and be nice little gangsters...there are just some people who cant be talked to, and perhaps these are those types?

kvg
12-30-2010, 01:42 PM

I just have to say, i dont know about the talking thing. if he DOES say "hey guys, can you stop doing what you are doing or can we compromise" or something to that effect, they may say 'why dont you fuck off, or we'll shit on your car". Now, hes basically screwed for ANY other options, because if they have ANY brain in their heads, when the cops start coming, and reports start being made, the FIRST person that will come to mind will be HIM....

just saying.....

The only problem with this whole thread is its all speculation. We don't know if this guy selling rocks and waving guns, or not shoveling his walk and playing his music too loud on his day off. If it was somethig like the first option I would hope he would have already dealt with it accordingly.

CUG
12-30-2010, 01:46 PM

OK I'm gonna be the one to say it-you're a pompous self righteous stuck up fuck, you probably start your day with a 12 dollar latte each day and you think your shit don't stink.

Or at least you come off that way.

Since you're all that why not just STFU , borrow more money 'cuz you can, move to Springbank Hill where you belong, and quit whining to people on here that are just trying to help you out. You know that by saying all of this, you basically admit to being a broke trailer park dweller who walks around bumming drags of cigarettes from people somewhere in the area of 17 ave SE.

peteski
12-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by CUG
You know that by saying all of this, you basically admit to being a broke trailer park dweller who walks around bumming drags of cigarettes from people somewhere in the area of 17 ave SE.

Close, but in the other direction. Bowness. That's where your accuracy ends.

I don't smoke, I'm drug free, sip a Corona here and there, I have 2 70k trucks paid for, I work 25-30 hrs/week for myself, 100k+ yearly and I ski 40-50 days/winter all over AB and BC.

Not all renters are welfare bums buddy. I just don't want the headaches of home ownership. Or neighbors like you!

Bizzareo
12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
"If you want your neighbors to move, take a shit on their doorstep every day before they wake up" - Cartman

sr20s14zenki
12-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo
"If you want your neighbors to move, take a shit on their doorstep every day before they wake up" - Cartman

"So you were the one doing that?" - Kyle Brofloski

LOL

CUG
12-30-2010, 03:53 PM

I don't smoke, I'm drug free, sip a Corona here and there, I have 2 70k trucks paid for, I work 25-30 hrs/week for myself, 100k+ yearly and I ski 40-50 days/winter all over AB and BC.

Not all renters are welfare bums buddy. I just don't want the headaches of home ownership. Or neighbors like you! Holy shit, it's like the beyond baller: trailer park edition.

AndyL
12-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Sounds like OP is another whiny spineless Calgarian...

You wont say why - so obviously you have no reasonable complaint. I'll bet a shiney nickle by your comments - the crackheads arent.

Move into a HOA governed neighbourhood, and join the board. Then you can have some say as to what your neighbours can/can't do.

CUG
12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
AndyL arrives with the fury.

tobypaddock
12-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

You wont say why - so obviously you have no reasonable complaint. I'll bet a shiney nickle by your comments - the crackheads arent.

Move into a HOA governed neighbourhood, and join the board. Then you can have some say as to what your neighbours can/can't do.
:werd:

spikerS
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by CUG
Holy shit, it's like the beyond baller: trailer park edition.

I don't know man, There are some homes in Bowness that are too baller even for beyond.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9759979&PidKey=-530878328

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10130789&PidKey=2119021130

Bowness, for the most part, has out grown it's old trailer park image, and has changed quite a bit.

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM

^^^ He gets it.

Abeo
12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Easy way around that: talk with your neighbors (the good ones), and decide together what to do. If the crackheads are as bad as you say, you should get tonnes of support. Power in numbers, one household won't mess with a group of people. Also lets the crackhead know thats its just not you that'll call the cops.

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
Easy way around that: talk with your neighbors (the good ones), and decide together what to do. If the crackheads are as bad as you say, you should get tonnes of support.

It would be easy to get neighbor support - Everyone has been affected by these folks, and they are a topic of neighbor gossip.

I've decided to act alone, however, as I'm perceived as one of the more easygoing people on the block, a perception I don't want to change by spearheading a charge.

I don't need numbers to validate my case. I simply plan to call up the landlord, inform him of some of the goings on. I'm sure they're already a nuisance to him - I just need to add the last straw.

If that doesn't work, then we can look at a more agressive approach.

Unfortunately, despite all of the replies, no one has yet answered my original post regarding the process to find the Landlord's contact information. Thankfully I believe I've got it figured out.

LollerBrader
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Oh, andy. You're silly.

Sigh.

kvg
12-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Would city hall not be able to get you that info?

codetrap
12-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Not all renters are welfare bums buddy. I just don't want the headaches of home ownership. Or neighbors like you!

Trailer park drug dealer? I read this and thought to myself, " bullshit, just another Internet wannabe swinging his virtual e-dick."

I have yet to see anyone who us truly successfull living in a trailer park.

peteski
12-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Trailer park drug dealer? I read this and thought to myself, " bullshit, just another Internet wannabe swinging his virtual e-dick."

I have yet to see anyone who us truly successfull living in a trailer park.

I'm far from succesfull by Calgary standards, if I sell drugs then I must be the only DD in town who pays taxes, and I wasn't aware that 77th & 46th was a trailer park LOL this site is amusing