PDA

View Full Version : Basement permit and bylaw question.

calgarys_finest
12-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I am about to start doing my basement and i want to know if i need a permit to start building down there even if there is no body living down there.

Also i have searched the internet like a fiend but is there a law as to how close i can build a wall to the furnace and or water heater?

edit i am asking about the permit because a friend of a friend said he wouldnt do the electrical unless i have my permit.

garnet
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
yes, you should
http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/brochures/basement_development.pdf

Tik-Tok
12-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest

Also i have searched the internet like a fiend but is there a law as to how close i can build a wall to the furnace and or water heater?

- Maintain proper clearances of 600 mm (24”) in
front and 150 mm (6”) at the sides and back to
combustible construction, when furnaces and
other gas-burning appliances are enclosed.

calgarys_finest
12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you guys. I think i was searching way too specific.

Looks like im going to have to build my back wall with either the 2x4 on end on a smalller piece of lumber. The hot water tank is 18 inches away from where the toilet drain is, its a pretty bad set up the way they have it.

JordanLotoski
12-28-2010, 06:46 PM
You should but 50% or more of basements finished in Calgary do not have permits for development. For resale cover your ass and get it done.

If you need a kickass basement guy let me know.

C_Dave45
12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
Thank you guys. I think i was searching way too specific.

Looks like im going to have to build my back wall with either the 2x4 on end on a smalller piece of lumber. The hot water tank is 18 inches away from where the toilet drain is, its a pretty bad set up the way they have it.

You can move your toilet drain pretty easily.

barmanjay
12-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

You can move your toilet drain pretty easily.

With that said,.. you can also move your hotwater tank easily aswell!

eblend
12-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Get a permit, else you could end up where I am and having to get an electrician out to get a consealed wireing permit and all that, lame, all because of a nosey inspector inspecting the garage.

At any rate, make sure your furnace room has a 32" door, as that is a requirement by code, also make sure you got a dedicated circuit to the utility room, as that is also a requirement. If you build everything to code, and are not making any structural changes then you can frame it all ahead of time if you want to get started, but will have to submit a drawing with dimensions later on to get the actual permit. Don't cover any walls with drywall at all, unless one side will remain visible, as the inspector (one i got at least) will fail you if you have any covered wireing at all.

Porsche_55
12-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Ya get building Permit. I work for the City of Calgary in that department. Get the permit. So many issues later on will happen if you dont. Call 2685311 if you have any questions (city of calgary call center) about code or land use questions.

01RedDX
12-30-2010, 06:34 PM

bbcustoms
01-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

well then he's probably a hack because any pro electrician knows that it can be put in before the inspection is done, as long as it's not plugged into the panel.

You have successfully put up one of the most retarded posts I have seen in here in a long time.(And this is Beyond)
You are calling an electrician a hack because he has told someone that he would not do the electrical work without a permit for the project. I am not even going into detail about this as it is pretty self explanatory but good luck with any of your own future renos.

Here you might want something like this down the road

LINK (http://makeitright.ca/Information/contact_us.php)

garnet
01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
^^ LOL

true, it doesn't make him a hack, he is simply covering himself as he should, asking that the homeowner get a permit, as he doesn't want his friend or himself to have any potential issues, and to go by the book

Porsche_55
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

well then he's probably a hack because any pro electrician knows that it can be put in before the inspection is done, as long as it's not plugged into the panel.

You must be a Pro Electrician. You should really have your rough inspection for your framing done before any plumbing or electrical. If there are any problems with the framing then the inspector is going to tell you fix it. If there is plumbing and electrical in the walls then that makes things alot harder to fix the framing.:thumbsup:

Spiggs29
02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
You should get permits for sure! For the electricial you are able to get a homeowners permit. I don't believe it costs you anything or very little anyways. That will cover you and your buddy when installing the electrical.

theken
02-21-2011, 09:36 AM
If you read it, he said he would not do it IF HE GETS A PERMIT, as he is probably not a journeyman. Just make sure your blueprints match what your doing, permit shouldn't be too bad

HuMz
02-21-2011, 10:03 AM
You should probably keep your mouth shut next time when you don't have a clue what your talking about.

As per the CEC: 2-004 Permit

Electrical contractors or others responsible for carrying out the work shall obtain a permit from the inspections department BEFORE commencing work with respect to installation, alteration, repair, or extension of any electrical equiptment.

Basements are a little different in the sense the homeowner can pull the permit, but that doesn't change the fact that pretty much any permit in construction is in place before the work gets started.

theken
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
If your telling me to keep my mouth shut I was saying he should get permits. Maybe comprehension should be on your to do list

HuMz
02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
It was directed at 01reddx, but if you want to talk about comprehension then you should re-read your first post, the OP said his friend of a friend wouldn`t do the work unless he had a permit. Not that he wouldn`t do the work even if he had a permit like you stated.

theken
02-21-2011, 06:09 PM
He edited.