PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to Good Samaritans on Hwy1

psi_klops
12-28-2010, 07:27 PM
To all those (including myself) who thought "good samaritans" don't exist anymore...

My GF and I were heading back from Lake Louise today when the rear tire on her sunfire blew the F@$ apart...literally.

We pulled over and I was getting ready to put the spare - doughnut on.

A pick up pulled behind us and 3 guys jumped out with tools and a jack in hand ready to help.

Two of the guys worked for City Towing and were comming back from Louise too.

The basically took over the whole job and jacked up the car and replaced the tire!!
They got on ground and didn't care about the mud and dirt.

They replaced the tire in like 3 mins - they worked like a pit crew!!

I am beyond words...Thank you so much!! I am humbled and awed by this act of kindness. They simply helped and wished me well, then were on their way.

Thank you so much!! I will pay it forward.

300zxfairlday
12-28-2010, 07:37 PM
always nice to hear these rare stories!

:clap:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Good to hear. I stopped and towed a few guys out of the ditch in November as a reminder of all the people that helped me out in my low ass Nissan the past few winters.

baygirl
12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
:clap: :clap:
I love to hear stories like this. Nice to know people will still help others out.

Lex350
12-28-2010, 07:55 PM
cool! Love to hear stories like this.

94boosted
12-28-2010, 09:02 PM
:clap: Wow there are still people like this left. If I'm not in a rush somewhere I help out people.

Lex350
12-28-2010, 09:23 PM
In the winter I always carry a shovel and cables.......not just for me but for others. I did people out all the time in winter because I've been stuck enough times myself.

Graham_A_M
12-29-2010, 01:22 AM
you're welcome:)

THEMONK
12-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I think they did it to get an eyefull of the g/f. :D

Good job guys. :thumbsup:

natejj
12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Your the asshole who backed up traffic!!!!!!

Jk, nice to hear. Louise was great yesterday.

LEGiiT
12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Your gf must be hot...

Jk, glad to hear people like this still exist.

bigbadboss101
12-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Pay it forward ! :-)

Pinner
12-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Don't cause a wreck trying to be nice

On Boxing day I saw two "Heros" putting themselves and others at great risk by trying to pull cars from the ditch in blizzard conditions !

Pick the people up and take them somewhere to wait for a tow truck.

This dumb ass in a Pure Energy truck tried to rescue a car that was 20 ft down the bank. He had 0% chance of pulling that car up the bank, leave it for the tow truck, especially if visibility is less than perfect.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Saw a E46 high centered on a median yesterday on my way home, so I went home and dropped off my Subaru and grabbed my Jeep with the tow strap to go help them, and found someone just pulling them off when I got back. Still some good samaritans out there.

DonJuan
12-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Always good to hear these stories. It sux that they are so rare.

I pulled a lady in a Cavalier from the ditch on the ring road yesterday while the cop sat in cruiser blocking off a lane for us. I got to try out my new tow rope!

Pinner
12-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Where do you even hook up to a car ? I haven't noticed tow hooks on cars.

Zigo
12-31-2010, 08:47 PM
^ Well just get the driver to roll down the window and hold on to it.

:dunno:

Good question, where do you normally hook on to a car?

swak
12-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Worst case scenario... Axle?

But definitely rad to hear stories like this!!
:thumbsup:

.. just like salespersons helping you out man to man. Without commission $$ in the back of their mind.

asp integra
01-03-2011, 04:58 PM
same thing happened to me and some friend by lac des arcs yesterday on the way home from BC, flat rear tire and a few people stopped to help, if it wasnt for the stupid cable holding the spare not working we would have been out of there in minutes rather than hours, oh well, thanks to all those for helping!

peteski
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Pinner
Where do you even hook up to a car ? I haven't noticed tow hooks on cars.

Believe it or not, meat hooks work great. You can hook them onto pretty much anywhere you need to in order not to cause damage. And they are stronger than you'd think, I've towed a dock out of Lake Bonavista with them one time. Didn't even bend or break. I keep 2 and a tow strap that could tow a Greyhound bus in my truck. If i'm not on a schedule and it's safe I help out when I can too. Very nice to hear stories like this!

FraserB
01-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Dont half ass anything with recovery. Hook up to actual tow points that are securely mounted to the vehicle, dont toss a strap around a control arm or axle or bumper cover. On you end, make sure everything is securely mounted and that you are using RECOVERY straps; not tow straps, chains, straps with metal hooks. 0.5", 3/4" D-rings, straps designed for recovering and that have a high breaking point.

AndyL
01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
New cars suck for recovery... Honda/Acura and Nissans are by far the worst... There's 4 slots on the 'frame' to the center of the wheels, that are designed for baby J's - but the plastic always extends below so you've got to use 4x4 blocks to keep the chains off the plastic - or find a better option...

Never to the axle; too much crap to rip off (ie brake lines).

My preference on most cars (notice i say cars not vehicles) - is to use the wheel for a recovery point. They're rated for lateral forces to way beyond what a typical recovery will entail - and minimal risk to adjacent sheetmetal/plastic.

Real b*tch lately is the realization that the 08+ (generalizing) front bumper covers/valances are designed to plow into things - going forwards... Not in reverse. They catch a little hunk of ice in the ditch while getting winched back - and they're off the car... :facepalm: