01-07-2004, 09:23 AM
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_474.shtml

nice little editorial about the under rated VW

DUBBED
01-07-2004, 09:33 AM
So true, kinda makes me wanna buy an MK4. :D

limecorrado
01-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Interesting read are you a vwvortex member?

itsnotaDUB
01-07-2004, 10:04 AM
of course, its so true. unless you own one you guys will never know...

5.9 R/T
01-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Replace VW with pretty much any other manufacter that isn't Japanese and that article still holds true. But I guess it's just a VW thing eh guys??? :rolleyes:

syeve
01-07-2004, 10:41 AM
why is it that the guys that own japanese cars are the ONLY ignorant/stupid people? Talk about you massive over generalization. :thumbsdow

1badPT
01-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Replace VW with pretty much any other manufacter that isn't Japanese and that article still holds true. But I guess it's just a VW thing eh guys??? :rolleyes:
:werd:

Also from the article:

1990 and makes 134hp (plus more with my modifications), they are just amazed!

Umm that's not that amazing and I'd be surprised if anyone did find it "amazing". I think the author's observations about other people being amazed are probably more in his mind than anything else. He himself says that the kids have little interest in VW's. And factory turbos aren't that rare either. I think here we are lucky because in Calgary, its not all Hondas and Acuras, we have people here with kickass VW's, Pontiacs, Chev's, Chryslers, Fords, Mitsus, Hyundais etc.

As for being different, this is something I can totally agree with. Before I came to the forums here, there was only 2 hits for PT Cruiser when I did a search for Cruiser. Now there are pages and pages of hits. I think its cool to hear so many people have a reaction to the car. Being different sucks when you're looking for parts :rolleyes: but its cool when you get finished and you know no one else in town has anything like what you have.

hjr
01-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
So true, kinda makes me wanna buy an MK4. :D ya, but fudge, heavy cars...

Originally posted by syeve
why is it that the guys that own japanese cars are the ONLY ignorant/stupid people? Talk about you massive over generalization. :thumbsdow Its not japanese cars, its honda's. Its because like it or not, honda is the standard ricer high school idiot car. Granted there are lots of hot cars under that name on this board, but dont fool yourself. Ask any goon hump at you local high school what car they would jizz in another mans ass for and 9/10 times its a honda. I like certain honda models myself. props where props are due. they make some good cars, but there is a misconception about the crazyness of a honda's...

sputnik
01-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
So true, kinda makes me wanna buy an MK4. :D

the A4 (MK4) are kinda heavy. I would sooner find a round headlight A1 and sqeeze a TDI or 1.8T into it.

1badPT
01-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by hjr
ya, but fudge, heavy cars...

Its not japanese cars, its honda's. Its because like it or not, honda is the standard ricer high school idiot car. Granted there are lots of hot cars under that name on this board, but dont fool yourself. Ask any goon hump at you local high school what car they would jizz in another mans ass for and 9/10 times its a honda. I like certain honda models myself. props where props are due. they make some good cars, but there is a misconception about the crazyness of a honda's...

See I like to think of it this way. There are ricers and then there are import enthusiasts.

Ricers IMO are the ignorant little shits who think their 90WHP vehicle can beat anything else out there. And if they ever do lose a race (which they will, and race will be on the street no less, possibly with a driver who isn't even aware that he's the competition) they will be faced with a "performance mod" decision which consists of either a type R sticker, CAI, or a bookshelf wing - whatever will fit in the budget.

Import enthusiasts know shit about cars and in general drive/work on/dream about great cars.

syeve
01-07-2004, 02:34 PM
just curious, but dosent an MK4 have about 90 WHP?

hjr
01-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by syeve
just curious, but dosent an MK4 have about 90 WHP? ya, thats the TDi (diesel). it also makes 155 ft/lb torque.
But not anymore, the new TDi (PD) is 100 hp and 177ft/lb torque.

sputnik
01-07-2004, 02:41 PM
A4 Golf/GTI with a 1.8T is generally 160 WHP stock and 189 WHP with a chip.

you can do well over 200 WHP with just bolt on mods

Weapon_R
01-07-2004, 03:15 PM
What exactly is it about a 130hp 16v engine that makes VW owners think that it's a super engine? I don't see why this guy wrote an entire article about his 16 second car and how it's so underrated...:dunno:

thorin33
01-07-2004, 03:38 PM
It's not just the 16v engine...in fact IMHO, it the chassis that makes the MKI and MKII cars a blast to drive.

hjr
01-07-2004, 03:44 PM
its under rated because most mk2's rock out h-core with 100 flyhp. haha. Burn to us VW type i guess, but i can admit the truth. And thats the VW most folks know. So when a car with reasonable hp and torque and good gearing showed up it was a suprise.

Khyron
01-07-2004, 04:32 PM
http://www.nexus-point.net/forums/neverlose2.jpg

My 1.8T Jetta makes 176 HP to the wheels with just an exhaust. Chip next year, wooo! But I still can't launch for shit so who cares. :whipped:

Khyron

1badPT
01-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Did you dyno for those numbers? Or are you just adding up the advertised HP gains?

DUBBED
01-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Khyron's car was dynoed, I think C1 used his car as a demo for Magneflow exhausts.

Khyron
01-07-2004, 06:31 PM
What what what - you mean my stickers don't add 20HP?!?!?

Dyno (http://www.nexus-point.net/chimera/khyron-dyno.jpg)

Was done on the c1 dynojet here in Cal. :thumbsup:

Khyron

sputnik
01-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Did you dyno for those numbers? Or are you just adding up the advertised HP gains?

it think this comment sums up what the article was about...

the skeptics

syeve
01-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

it think this comment sums up what the article was about...

the skeptics

this comment was made by a guy who owns a PT cruiser, NOT a japanese car from what I can tell. Regardless of what car you have, people are ALWAYS gonna ask if your car is dynoed or if you just pulled some numbers out of the air.

And wasnt that artlicle about an MK4 with about 100WHP? Im not being sceptical :D

sputnik
01-08-2004, 10:49 AM
^

200 WHP

syeve
01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
oh ya, I got the two cars confused. :dunno:

CRXguy
01-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

My 1.8T Jetta makes 176 HP to the wheels with just an exhaust. Chip next year, wooo! But I still can't launch for shit so who cares. :whipped:

Khyron

Is your Jetta the green one with "deep dish" wheels? I think I ran against you once at Secret Street. If it was you, yeah, you need more practice! hehe.... :D

ZorroAMG
01-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Who cares why ricers dont know anything about german cars? I'd rather they don't either so when they do go around thinking they are king shit and I wax them when it counts, I can laugh my ass off....

Let them remain ignorant...we get the last laugh...

nismodrifter
01-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Who cares why ricers dont know anything about german cars? I'd rather they don't either so when they do go around thinking they are king shit and I wax them when it counts, I can laugh my ass off....

:werd: ahahhah :D :D

syeve
01-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

mark, is that you? Its your old ricer friend from UofC Jmaeff. I will take no offence to your ricer claims, MY EXHAUST ADDS 35 WHP!!!.

Khyron
01-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

Is your Jetta the green one with "deep dish" wheels? I think I ran against you once at Secret Street. If it was you, yeah, you need more practice! hehe.... :D

Yah that's me - I am trying next year with my stock 15s cause even after running 15+ slips, I couldn't get under a 2.6 60' time. My dish wheels are wider, but they weight a ton. Maybe my tires suck? Dunno, will keep practicing.

Khyron

hockeybronx
01-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Hey good to hear about all that stuff. However I really hope that VW's don't turn into Honda Civic's where everybody has one and everybodys trying to make there's different in stupid ways.

Moe Man
01-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Hey good to hear about all that stuff. However I really hope that VW's don't turn into Honda Civic's where everybody has one and everybodys trying to make there's different in stupid ways.

sorry but i think it is almost imposible to make a vw look stupid.....

if you go look in all the ricer magazins you dont see any altazzas or anything like that for vw

i think it is all the producers of all the ricer shit like neon lights and stuff that make a car company gay cuz they use there shit to advertize and guess honda got 1st prize

hjr
01-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

if you go look in all the ricer magazins you dont see any altazzas or anything like that for vw

i think it is all the producers of all the ricer shit like neon lights and stuff that make a car company gay cuz they use there shit to advertize and guess honda got 1st prize thats a dumb statement. what you need to do is forget what you have scene in N/A ricer mags. Check out some European ricer mags. lots of ugly assed VW's, Seats, Peugeots, Skodas, Opels, etc...

http://www.concept1.ca/images/FK%20Bora%20Carbon%20Tails%20fkrl347.jpg
http://www.concept1.ca/images/FK%20Bora%20Chrome%20Tails%20fkrl341.jpg
http://www.concept1.ca/images/FK%20tails%20GIV%20Chrome.jpg
http://www.2000vw.com/images/2000up_jetta4.jpg

Khyron
01-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Yah there's a few Jettas with park bench wings (there's at least 1 in Calgary) and nasty chrome hubcabs etc. You can fuck up any car given enough canadian tire money.

Khyron

nismodrifter
01-10-2004, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
You can fuck up any car given enough canadian tire money.

hahhahhaha :rofl: :rofl:

Ben
01-10-2004, 04:16 AM
I would like to set some of the discrepencies straight. I own an 87 GTI 16V w/ a few mods, I run mid 15's HERE in Calgary, and a 2.3 60'. Like it or not, thats pretty damn not bad for an inexpensive 16 year old car on shitty street tires. Hell, ask 88CRX who I ran into at race city, he has a ZC swap and I still had a second and a half on him. Hell, I can keep up with the new 1.8T's no problem, even chipped ones dont pull away until 4th gear, and I enjoy completely stable, non shaking, not petrifying, and witnessed 235km/h top speed, pulls all the way to redline of 7000 in 5th. I dont expect anyone to like my car or VW's for that matter, nor do I claim to have the best car on the planet, but one cant say that is poor performance from a car that age and that price range, especially to come from the factory with VERY posh Recaro Seats and BBS wheels among other things.

What ZorroAMG said is bang on, I love driving a car that 1 of every 20 people might know something about. Hell, One night at race city I had probably a half dozen people ask me to race. After one run, they all but one backed down, and he lost miseribly in his Grand Prix..

That said, Each and every car has its Yays and Nays. Hell, I get pissed at my car all the time, I swear and curse at it hourly some days. One Moment you hate it, one moment you love it, but at the end of the week I always have at least a handful of times where I was glad I drive the car I do. We all have this dont we? Isn't this what really matters?

1badPT
01-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ben
One Moment you hate it, one moment you love it, but at the end of the week I always have at least a handful of times where I was glad I drive the car I do. We all have this dont we? Isn't this what really matters?

Probably sums up my entire mindset about cars. :poosie:

syeve
01-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

just as easy to make look stupid as a civic