PDA

View Full Version : My nan makes these bags from grocery bags

Mar
12-28-2010, 09:39 PM
She gave them to the girls in our family for Christmas and everyone is stunned at how amazingly cool it is. Perfect for the tree huggers, I thought it was an awesome way to recycle old plastic bags, plus a possible way to make a few dollars as well.

It's very important I say that I'm not selling these (yet), nor am I advertising them here, I just thought it was cool and I should post it. If I ever start mass producing these I'll let people know but I currently am not.

This one is knitted. And yes, it's made only from grocery bags, nothing else. The colours are different coloured bags.

http://www.danmaher.com/pictures/d/29454-2/1.jpg

http://www.danmaher.com/pictures/d/29458-2/2.jpg

This one was crocheted.

http://www.danmaher.com/pictures/d/29461-2/3.jpg

Kona9
12-28-2010, 09:41 PM
That is a great idea! Kudos to your Nan for doing her part. She should start up a small business.

TomcoPDR
12-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Does she use a machine to crunch it in that pattern/shape?

Muji
12-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Can she make me a car cover? Nice job there, my nan would give me a bunch of tube socks every year. Love a nan gift... sorry ass me has to buy socks now.

Mar
12-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Does she use a machine to crunch it in that pattern/shape?
Nothing, she just sits down in front of the television and knits them together. She's always coming up with weird stuff to pass the time, she made me 3 things she calls quillows. It's a quilt that has a pocket in the bottom of it and when you fold it up a certain way it all goes into the pocket and sits on your couch as a pillow.

The weird thing about the bags is it feels just like hemp, it doesn't have that plasticy feel at all. I saw my sister in law showing it around on Christmas day and thought it looked okay but it wasn't until Boxing Day when I heard her tell someone it was made of plastic bags that I grabbed a hold of it. They're really cool.

Spoons
12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Nothing, she just sits down in front of the television and knits them together. She's always coming up with weird stuff to pass the time, she made me 3 things she calls quillows. It's a quilt that has a pocket in the bottom of it and when you fold it up a certain way it all goes into the pocket and sits on your couch as a pillow.

The weird thing about the bags is it feels just like hemp, it doesn't have that plasticy feel at all. I saw my sister in law showing it around on Christmas day and thought it looked okay but it wasn't until Boxing Day when I heard her tell someone it was made of plastic bags that I grabbed a hold of it. They're really cool.

"Quillows" have been around forever. I have 2 of them that I use as couch pillows then unfold when I need a blanket. Never the less this is very cool.

jefferson2
12-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd say this could easily make global/ctv news if you wanted it to. Really cool

D'z Nutz
12-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Wow, they look like they'd hold a lot of weight too.

If she needs more grocery bags, I can certainly donate a bunch.

djayz
12-29-2010, 12:26 AM
That's crazy! The fact that there is a design on the first bag shown goes to show she knows what she's doing too.
Go Nan :clap:

no_joke
12-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Wow, amazing! How many normal bags does it take to make one?

Should post that up on instructables, treehugger, worldchanging, etc. too!

Graham_A_M
12-29-2010, 01:15 AM
I see "dragons den" in the works ;)

TomcoPDR
12-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I see "dragons den" in the works ;)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lckvarnWYI1qdd4tyo1_400.jpg

"So what happens when someone takes a lighter to it??? "

Kritafo
12-29-2010, 02:15 AM
There are patterns on the net for purses and even shoes...they are great bags and hold up very well. My kids made these a few years back and I am still using them.

But it's still awesome that your Nan is recycling.

wardpr68
12-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Ya this is definitely not a new idea... when I worked in a grocery store 4 years ago I saw these all the time. They really do hold a lot of weight.

ExtraSlow
12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
she could start selling them through ethical ocean. They eat the shit up.

Mar
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
My problem with the environmental side of it is that these don't actually prevent the production of plastic bags, if anything it actually increases production to keep up with demand. It does prolong the amount of time the bags cycle through the economy but eventually when someone doesn't want this bag anymore, it will still ultimately end up in the landfill.

Lilac Wine
12-29-2010, 03:20 PM
I saw these for sale at a craft show in Lethbridge.