PDA

View Full Version : House Rental Issue

Ldeibert
12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
So I just finished uprooting my family and getting my house ready for renters to move in... And hours before they were supposed to do the walkthrough/sign the papers and give us first months rent and damage deposit, they called and said they can't move in.

Possesion was initially set for Jan. 1st, but they were going to start moving a little bit today to get a head start.

I have been reading a bit on the Internet on where we stand legally, I was just hoping to hear some insight from someone that has similar experiences or knowledge on the matter.

max_boost
12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
No money. No talk. No exceptions.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

benyl
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM
If they didn't sign the papers, you have no legal standing.

It will cost you more to sue them on their "word" than you will get out of it.

Get another renter. Ask for a deposit right away.

ExtremeSi
12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
A lot of landlords ask for the security deposit as soon as the renter decides that they want the place. Then you can hold that as a non-refundable deposit.

kenny
12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Happens all the time. Theres no point going after them for money, or forcing them to go through with the deal as they'll likely be a pain in the ass to deal with.

Its almost better they showed their flakiness now, rather than a few months into the lease.

Cos
12-29-2010, 05:06 PM
unfortunately since they didnt sign anything or leave cash you are SOL. Any of the places I rented they made me sign the paperwork and leave a deposit regardless of how far out I was moving in. Just an FYI for the future.

Also, get another renter, they are willing to screw you over this time, they will be willing to do it again.

LollerBrader
12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Cos
unfortunately since they didnt sign anything or leave cash you are SOL. Any of the places I rented they made me sign the paperwork and leave a deposit regardless of how far out I was moving in. Just an FYI for the future.

Also, get another renter, they are willing to screw you over this time, they will be willing to do it again.

Legal satisfaction is usually only satisfying to the lawyers. Save your time and money.

As for the people, I'd call them, let them know how disappointed you are with them acting dishonestly towards you. Acting nice and forgiving will go a long ways to making them feel bad. Short of going to war, this is likely the extent of your satisfaction.

This sucks, but you'll have to chalk it up as overhead. I'm sure the world of renters has more "overhead" in store for you.

One word of advice from a former landlord: Once renters ask for leeway regarding paying rent on time, they never stop. Create an agreement with a daily penalty for lateness.

Even on short notice, you should be able to find somene. Perhaps even a mid-month renter could be take on pro-rated.

guessboi
12-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Sign the papers and get post dated cheques next time! But this is good in a way because now you know who they really are...you dont want someone to screw around your house. :D

TomcoPDR
12-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

Legal satisfaction is usually only satisfying to the lawyers. Save your time and money.

As for the people, I'd call them, let them know how disappointed you are with them acting dishonestly towards you. Acting nice and forgiving will go a long ways to making them feel bad. Short of going to war, this is likely the extent of your satisfaction.

This sucks, but you'll have to chalk it up as overhead. I'm sure the world of renters has more "overhead" in store for you.

One word of advice from a former landlord: Once renters ask for leeway regarding paying rent on time, they never stop. Create an agreement with a daily penalty for lateness.

Even on short notice, you should be able to find somene. Perhaps even a mid-month renter could be take on pro-rated.

:werd: QFMFT

Get ready to get fucked over and over and over again... I'd say 80% of tenants you encounter will let you down in mostly "word of mouth/reputation" sort of way, you start to lose trust in people in general. Never ever trust tenants.

I'm the worst/nicest landlord/manager out there, PM for shit on NOT what to do.

max_boost
12-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Chalk it up to experience. Now you'll know for next time.

masoncgy
12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Be happy you're not stuck with these losers... you totally got away with one!

For every good tenant, there's like 1,000 bad ones, I swear.