PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Canada

Zain
01-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi,

Im new here. Im from Dubai, and am moving to canada in summer time, hopefully.

I really wanted to bring my cars with me, and was wondering if anyone could help me in regards to the law there.

Ive got a few cars I wanna bring over.
All are Jap imports and are turbo'd

Where can I learn about restrictions and laws concerning canada, and what I can import.

Any links or knowledge would be helpful
thanks,

Zain.

Zoom_Zoom
01-07-2004, 11:28 AM
it has to be at least 15 years old to the month.

Welcome to Canada
Ahla wa Sahla

Zain
01-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Hi,

Dam,
What if they are not 15 years old?

Mine are from 1991-1993.
All 4wd turbo'd?

So, their is no way I can bring them?

Thanks for the post....

Zain

thich
01-07-2004, 11:34 AM
well you could bring them and not use them for a few years.
the GTiR still has 2-3 years before it'll be legal to drive.

This is all in the assumption that you are indeed willing to not drive the cars until the set time. And drive a beater or something else in the mean time.

Zain
01-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Aww man,

thats bad news.....
their is no way I can leave them sitting around waiting for them to become legal....lol, that just wouldnt happen...

Im might have to try tho....

thanks for that...

Zain

DUBBED
01-07-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure if they would even be allowed in the country, do a search on importing cars there has been plenty of discussiong about it in the forums here.

SwitchBlade
01-07-2004, 11:48 AM
You can store your car where you are until you can legally bring it over. Thats always a thought.

Zain
01-07-2004, 11:54 AM
thanks for the replies...

looks like I might have to leave them behind, then import them later when the time is right....If they are allowed in the country, that is..

im searching the forums just now for other discussions on this.

Damm, a few years without my wheelz. thats gonna be HELL!!!

rage2
01-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Do you have one of the famous Dubai LHD GT-R's? :)

I know there are a whole bunch there. And yes, 15 years to the BUILD DATE indicated on the car before it can be imported into Canada.

DUBBED
01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Looks like you have to wait til 2008, shitty.

thich
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
but it's worth the wait :D

hjr
01-07-2004, 01:25 PM
here is the site from the gov.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

tulit
01-07-2004, 01:39 PM
You can bring them here for 12 months (if you qualify as a visitor, or whatever restriction there is here) but after that you have to export them back or get them destroyed. To keep them permanetly, like everyone else said, they gotta be 15 years old.

limecorrado
01-07-2004, 04:49 PM
try this i read something before that might help,i think this is where i found it. http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html

By the Way Dubai is a Pimped city,How Far along are the Palms?

04blackMAX
01-07-2004, 04:50 PM
man if your from dubia, why dont you just buy canada??

calgarys13
01-07-2004, 05:19 PM
you can bring it over but it will be cut in half!!!15 years to the month!

MistaBrent
01-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Zain
Hi,

Im new here. Im from Dubai,

WHY WOULD YOU MOVE HERE FROM DUBAI

I LOVE DUBAI. SMOKE SHISHA ALL DAY AND IT IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY.

I was browsing places there this month cause I might want to move there for a few months

kaput
01-07-2004, 08:03 PM

3G
01-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Is Dubai a rather wealthy area? One of the richest in the world, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

I think you're thinking of Kuwait :dunno:

rogue
01-07-2004, 08:18 PM
dubai is very wealthy as wel

Weapon_R
01-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Dubai is an extremely wealthy and oil-rich country in the Middle East. The problem is that much of the economy is petroleum based and will crash hard if the government does not establish industry that isn't directly related to oil as the supplies will eventually run out.

fayzed
01-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Totally off topic but i'm moving to Dubai in about 9 months for work.

illeagle
01-07-2004, 11:26 PM
If you have any spare (4) Mazda GTR injectors bring them with ya. Or any parts for the GTR...:thumbsup:

max_boost
01-08-2004, 01:33 PM
I was watching this documentary on TLC, Dubai is such a beautiful city!!! I'm surprised the entire middle east doesn't look like that when they have so much $$$$ from the oil.

m10-power
01-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Dubai is an extremely wealthy and oil-rich country in the Middle East. The problem is that much of the economy is petroleum based and will crash hard if the government does not establish industry that isn't directly related to oil as the supplies will eventually run out.

Yes, but not in a very long time, their great great great great great grand children won't even be worrying about it.

As for the rest of the Middle East not looking like that...do you not watch the news...

Zain
01-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi,

been readin up on the posts....
thanks everyone....

right, i think im changing my mind about canada!!
it look like ill join my Cuz in UK now...

I wanted to come canada, but I never knew it was so ruff on imports...UK is cool. east and cheap to get car imported there, and on the road...can get cars dropped of there for under £4000, direct from Japan, and reaqdy for road use. now that sounds more like it.

Im applying to the universities there, so wish me luck....
never know, if I dont get in, then I might end up in canada, travelling the national transport system.....lol

Dubai is nice, but like anywhere, if u live in one place for too long it gets boring...yes its pretty rich....but not everyone (thats why i have mazda gtrs and nissan gtirs, and not merc clk gtrs, like others around here.

Wealth is not spread equally here, and a few elite hold all the power. Not good. Yes oil is a big part in the economy.
I just hate the double standards, rich kids get away with murder, and normal folk get shit for causing the same trouble. and also all the hot weather. I would rather put up with cold weather, just so my cars and turbos are running crisp!!!

NEone coming to Dubai, check out the following:
Toprpm.com and rsg racing team...

you will have many nights of fun watching these guys throw 1200+hp cars around like toys.... every weekend
also Nagata San (topsecret from chiba, tokyo) is always in town working on cars...

My favourite is the Merc CLK GTR, which is just simply the best...
always on the streets on a Weekend ready for any silly fool who wants to try and race him!!

Millions of american cars here, but I only touch Japanese cars myself. 2WD driving is very popular here, ie on the side, balanced on 2 wheels. Many kids have supra and skylines which pisses me off, because nearly every week, we see a phaat car get written of by some rich kids who dont know how to drive. Doesnt bother them tho, as the next week, they are in another 500hp supra!!

NE way guys thanks for all your help....
I still do wanna come canada, but you know what im saying, come on, you really think Im gonna live without a car for that long....I hope I get a place in London Uni, so that way I can definately import some cars there. Sad innit? I meant to be going for education, as you can see my priorites are geared towards that!!

peace brothers,

Zain

Zain
01-08-2004, 07:33 PM
illeagle

NE other parts you want?

I can go down to local scrappies and have a look.
I picked up a few bits and pieces for mine there. Gearbox and some other stuff.

I am not saying they will have, but if you name me a few things, Ill look for them at the weekend.

ps, what u driving?

rage2
01-08-2004, 07:37 PM
I still do wanna come canada, but you know what im saying, come on, you really think Im gonna live without a car for that long....I hope I get a place in London Uni, so that way I can definately import some cars there. Sad innit? I meant to be going for education, as you can see my priorites are geared towards that!!
If you're coming to Canada for education, you can import a car for 12 months to use here. After that it must be exported, but you can reimport another car (possibly the same car, not 100% sure). All you have to do is call Transport Canada, speak with an official, they'll ask for proof of visitor status, Visas, your vehicle information, etc. and they will issue you a letter for you to legally import the car for a year while you're here studying.

You'd be a celebrity with a R33 in Canada that's for sure, even if it's just for 1 year :).

I'm actually quite surprised that the super rich chinese Visa students in vancouver don't take advantage of this little loophole.

rogue
01-08-2004, 07:42 PM
i wasnt aware of that rage does that go for ANY car?

Toms-Celica
01-08-2004, 08:13 PM
I bet you could get the cars up here. When we moved up from the States we brought the SAAB up with no problems and it was not even close to 15 years old, maybe 4 at max.

max_boost
01-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

As for the rest of the Middle East not looking like that...do you not watch the news... I guess I need to pay more attention;)

3G
01-08-2004, 10:48 PM
My favourite is the Merc CLK GTR, which is just simply the best...always on the streets on a Weekend ready for any silly fool who wants to try and race him!!

:bullshit: those are race cars not street cars

Hakkola
01-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo

:bullshit: those are race cars not street cars
:bullshit:
MB CLK GTR, race car, and street car
http://nicolas.douville.free.fr/75669427akgDbl_fs.jpg

3G
01-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

:bullshit:
MB CLK GTR
http://nicolas.douville.free.fr/75669427akgDbl_fs.jpg

my bad sorry I thought he was talking about the race one :dunno:

Hakkola
01-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Haha, it's all good, easy to call b.s on that I suppose unless you're a huge MB fan. Only 25 road going GTR's were built I believe.

Hakkola
01-08-2004, 11:11 PM
This is also supposed to be one of the street cars. Not sure what's changed bw race and street, this one is not convertable and has a hood scoop... unless the roof can still be manually removed?? Makes no sense.
Looking at both the cars they are quite different, but appearantly both street cars, can anybody comment?
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/large/365-8.jpg

Toma
01-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Why would you have to wait 15 years? Are the rules for importing from the US different?

I though all you had to do was have it inspected....

Hakkola
01-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Importing from the U.S or to the U.S?? It's depends on the make of the car, I think the big deal is crash testing and the government having a gigantic stick up it's ass. I think a car needs to be built to Canadian standards and needs some sort of documentation directly from the factory if it's not sold in Canada.

hockeybronx
01-09-2004, 02:33 AM
All you have to know about Canada is it's not illegal if you don't get caught. What the cops don't know about, can't hurt them.

ZorroAMG
01-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Hakk...the frist CLK GTR AMG street version you posted is the roadster version, the second is the coupe version taken pretty much (bodywise) off the track, decals removed and spoiler modded and there you have it... Since the 25 cars were pretty much complete custom orders, coupes and roadsters were made and specific body changes could be made as per the customers request and the second car looks to have the f1 style kit on it that they put on CL65 AMG's..hope that helps buddy...

Hakkola
01-09-2004, 12:31 PM
My biggest question is the functionality of the hood scoop, I just thought it was strange they'd make a convertable if so much performance would be lost. Is the car RR? Is the scoop a cold air intake or for added downforce? This is the flying car right? ;)

rage2
01-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
My biggest question is the functionality of the hood scoop, I just thought it was strange they'd make a convertable if so much performance would be lost. Is the car RR? Is the scoop a cold air intake or for added downforce? This is the flying car right? ;)
The roof scoops were relocated 2 scoops on the side of the car, one on each of the humps behind the seats. They're for cold air intake. Cooling is done via NACA ducts on the back of the car for both roadster and coupe version.

And no this isn't the flying car. That's the CLR, a replacement of the CLK-GTR LM because the homogolation requirements were scrapped.