PDA

View Full Version : Looking for backyard mechanic or reputable shop.

ekguy
12-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Well looks like my car is in need of a bit of maintenance. I think the thermostat is stuck closed, car overheats slightly (barely goes up but still worries me). Getting all fluids checked and replaced accordingly with my oil change in the next few days here, but would be looking for someone to change the thermostat for me. Have no access to tools or garage, hence why I need to find someone to do it for me.

Willing to pay a shop if they won't completely gouge me on labour.

Very willing to pay someone who knows their way around a third gen teg.

Cos
12-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Why would your car overheat if the thermostat was stuck open?

Jetta-2.0
12-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Why would your car overheat if the thermostat was stuck open? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

roll_over
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
If you watch your guage it should rise up a bit then drop a bit this happends when your valve opens and closes. If it keeps rising this is no good.

ekguy
12-30-2010, 09:37 AM
It was late when I wrote that. But yeah I read on team integra if your thermostat is stuck closed it could cause the car to overheat. Just going from what I read. Either way most places I check say overheating while parked is usually the thermostat, low coolant, or electric fans not coming on.

Car doesn't overheat while I drive whatsoever.

Anyways suggestions for shop, or anyone willing to make a bit of moneyz????

Tik-Tok
12-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
It was late when I wrote that. But yeah I read on team integra if your thermostat is stuck closed it could cause the car to overheat. Just going from what I read. Either way most places I check say overheating while parked is usually the thermostat, low coolant, or electric fans not coming on.

Car doesn't overheat while I drive whatsoever.

Anyways suggestions for shop, or anyone willing to make a bit of moneyz????

If it doesn't overheat while you drive, but needle goes up while idling, that means the thermostat is opening, and coolant is flowing through the rad.

Probably a fan, or fan switch, easy enough to check, warm it up, then when it's idling and you see the needle "higher" than normal, open your hood and see if the fans spinning or not.

sr20s14zenki
12-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If it doesn't overheat while you drive, but needle goes up while idling, that means the thermostat is opening, and coolant is flowing through the rad.

Probably a fan, or fan switch, easy enough to check, warm it up, then when it's idling and you see the needle "higher" than normal, open your hood and see if the fans spinning or not.

Yep thermoswitch could be out of spec possibly.

ekguy
12-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Will check that. It also doesn't do it everytime I park and idle either...Just went up close to half gauge twice.

Cos
12-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What are you laughing at. The car would overheat if the thermostat was stuck CLOSED. If it was stuck open, in this weather, the car would probably never reach operating temperature.

mugensix
12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
pm me for info, i can do it.

THEMONK
12-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Just drive it in -30 or colder weather, problem solved.

Alberta Auto Electric 403-265-1466, ask for Victor, tell him Myron sent you and he'll give you a great shop rate.

Kloubek
12-30-2010, 04:59 PM
If the thermostat was stuck closed, I can almost guarantee you'd see a major increase in engine temperature. You say the change is slight - which leads me to believe it is another issue altogether.

Thermostats are easy to change out and cheap to buy, so it might not be a horrible thing to change out anyway... but I don't think that is the issue.

Do you know for a fact this slight temperature change suddenly occured and wasn't progressive? If it was sudden, then I'd venture to guess it is a switch/fan issue. If it was gradual, I would inspect the rad for bits of debris and dirt stuck in the fins.

Also, check the obvious: Make sure the cooling system has enough coolant in it, is flowing properly, and there are no air bubbles.

ekguy
12-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks well I have one pm and one guy on here who says he'll help me out. Which is awesome as always from Beyond. I will pm back the people who messaged me. I am definitely willing to pay someone to help me with this as long as they know what they are doing. I just hate paying garages 100$ an hour and then being told 5 other things on my car need fixing when they don't

cjay^
12-30-2010, 09:10 PM
I did the thermostat on my 98 Integra that I sold earlier this year. I'd be willing to help you out since I'm on break and don't go back to school till the 10th.

Only thing is, my Integra wouldn't warm up which seems to be the opposite of your problem. Maybe mine was stuck open and yours is stuck shut?

Replaced the T-stat and the problem was gone.

I always manage to cut myself when I work on cars it seems :poosie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/xtremist107/98dc4/P1000270.jpg

ekguy
12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Wow though thanks beyond. I got literally 4 offers to help me replace this and I think 2 mechanic recommendations. I have someone lined up that works at a shop and I'm going to get my fluids done at the same time.

Thanks again to everyone who pm'ed me. Nice to see the car scene is willing to help out others out here.

:thumbsup: to beyond!!!