PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about treadmills......

G-ZUS
12-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey guys I am looking to buy a treadmill, preferably a used one. However I know jack-all about them. What do I look for ? What brands to look for? Which ones to watch out for?

scboss
12-30-2010, 06:48 AM
IMO you should just run outside, my parents got me one a while ago it just takes up space and i barely use it. For the cost of a good one you could just get a gym membership for 4 years instead. If you bundle up during winter running outside is much superior!

sputnik
12-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by warcaster
IMO you should just run outside, my parents got me one a while ago it just takes up space and i barely use it. For the cost of a good one you could just get a gym membership for 4 years instead. If you bundle up during winter running outside is much superior!

:facepalm:

Did he ask about running outside?

Could it be that he already runs outside when the sidewalks aren't covered in ice and hard packed lumpy snow?

Running outside in the winter in Calgary is pretty hard on your joints unless you live near a path that is cleared to the pavement on a regular basis.

C_Dave45
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Hey guys I am looking to buy a treadmill, preferably a used one. However I know jack-all about them. What do I look for ? What brands to look for? Which ones to watch out for?

I've been researching for a while now. I'm looking for a cross-trainer as opposed to treadmill (too hard on my knees) but the same principles applies: you get what you pay for.

Don't bother with the Canadian Tire/Sears machines that retail for $1400, but only ever sell for half that. They're crap. You want a machine that was sold in fitness stores for around the $2500 mark, and up. Precor is a decent home-quality brand. And definitely buy used. Look for one that originally retailed for about 4 or 5 grand. That will have been purchased for probably 50% off, so the person has paid about $2000 or so for it...and then after two years of being a "clothes rack" they will be selling it on Kijiji for about $1200..and you can reasonably get it for well under a grand. $500 if you are patient and look around. Forget looking now...EVERYONE and their dog is on the "new years fitness resolutions" and are looking for machines. Spring and summer are the best times. You'll find dozens of machines on Kijiji that are months old with still no buyers.

Any of the cheaper models will feel cheap. And if you're like me, I switch back and forth between working out at home and at the gym. A cheap machine is no fun to use when you're used to gym-quality machines. I've used a few review sites to do some research on specific brands.

http://www.treadmilltalk.com

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com

Hope that helps.

V6-BoI
12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I know if you go to Fitness Source at Deerfoot mall, they have some really top notch eqiupment there (including treadmills). They sell the brands that you see at gyms, like Life Fitness but it'll cost you top dollar. But I agree with C_Dave45, if you get a cheaper ones will feel cheap, you pay for what you get I guess. If you are doing what C_Dave45 suggests and wanna check out what models are good, you can check out Fitness Source to get a general idea/feel of some of the higher quality machines.

civic_stylez
12-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Definitely consider an elliptical over a treadmill. Better exercise and WAY easier on your knees and joints.

max_boost
12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Definitely consider an elliptical over a treadmill. Better exercise and WAY easier on your knees and joints. :thumbsup: :werd:

scboss
12-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:facepalm:

Did he ask about running outside?

Could it be that he already runs outside when the sidewalks aren't covered in ice and hard packed lumpy snow?

Running outside in the winter in Calgary is pretty hard on your joints unless you live near a path that is cleared to the pavement on a regular basis.

Unless you are buying a 3000$ treadmill they are shitty plain and simple. Maybe its because im 25 but i run outside 3-4 times a week and I have zero joint pain :dunno: Just run on the roads around your community

If your worried about joint pain get an elliptical just make sure you really like it before hand because to most people the range of motion feels weird as shit. Unless you are dropping mad cash on a treadmill id stay far away. Nothing compares to running outside plain and simple plus its FREE!

tictactoe2004
12-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I have a Precor treadmill and elliptical, both are fantastic and I highly recommend Precor... My new years resolution is to start using them again :)

G-ZUS
12-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I, myself run outside, can't run on a treadmill. I am looking to purchase one for the parents. Maybe I will buy them a treadmill and a elliptical.

msommers
12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Is there an advantage of a treadmill over an elliptical? Otherwise I don't see the point in having both...

scboss
12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Treadmill= more calories burned faster harder on joints
Elliptical= almost same calories burned no joint stress, but restricted range of motion

Pacman
12-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Last month at Fitness Source, I bought a Life Fitness X3 elliptical for 50% off. Regular price was $2,900 and I paid $1,450.

Seems like a well built machine and is very smooth.

tictactoe2004
12-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Is there an advantage of a treadmill over an elliptical? Otherwise I don't see the point in having both...

Yes. If your a hard core gamer you can have a keyboard and mouse with monitor on the treadmill and play games like WoW no problem at a brisk walk. ;)

Sometimes my wife and I will use them at the same time. Personally I like the treadmill more and she likes the elliptical more.

timdog
12-31-2010, 10:10 AM
when you run on a treadmill you are mimicking or practicing a real motion that you do in real life. on an elliptical that motion does not exist in real life. if you are solely out to burn calories and elliptical is easier for you then go nuts, but if you are a sports enthusiast or want to train for something, elliptical isn't going to do much for you.