PDA

View Full Version : Help/Opinions for buying a new(used) car!!

illtim3d
12-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey beyond,

Time for me to buy a real car. Im 21yrs old and have owned two beater VW's. I have a real job now which has allowed me to save up and look at cars under 20k. I want something fun,quick(turbo) and it must also practical for winter. FWD,AWD,RWD are all fine with me. I am not interested in automatics.

I am considering several cars and would like some opinions on them.
Mazdaspeed 6 - these are turbo AWD, i think they would be fun yet practical for calgary driving. Many for sale under 20k.

Audi A4- same as above, but maintence could be a bitch

VW GTI or GLI- FWD, but sporty and fun. Lots for sale under 20k. 1.8t or VR6??

VW R32 - Hard to find, and will be around 25k-ish. But these are awd and would crush winter and summer.

If the car I purchase is 20k, I would most likely put half the price as a down payment and finance the rest. If it is closer to 10k ill pay cash.

What would you buy for 20k or less and why? Opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

:goflames:

Tik-Tok
12-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by illtim3d

Mazdaspeed 6 - these are turbo AWD, i think they would be fun yet practical for calgary driving. Many for sale under 20k.

Audi A4- same as above, but maintence could be a bitch

If you're looking at a Mazdaspeed 6, look at '04+ Subaru Legacy GT's as well, pretty similar car, but better reliablity.

Audi - it isn't "could be a bitch", it's WHEN it'll be a bitch, $$$ to bring it to a mechanic, and you needs a LOT of patience to do anything yourself on them (example: my entire front clip of my '03 had to come apart to chance the timing belt)

Tomaz
12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Something unoriginal: Subie WRX. It is the most common turbo car that can demolish winter. :thumbsup:

You know, you are so very close to owning a brand new Genesis Coupe Turbo.....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey mate, I just picked up a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited a few weeks ago for the fine sum of $12400. Pretty quick stock, AWD, manual transmission, nice interior. Theres lots of aftermarket support for it as well. From 250HP 250LB/FT stock, a Cobb accessport with tune and an exhaust can take that over 300HP pretty easily from what I hear.

Tik-Tok
12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Hey mate, I just picked up a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited a few weeks ago for the fine sum of $12400. Pretty quick stock, AWD, manual transmission, nice interior. Theres lots of aftermarket support for it as well. From 250HP 250LB/FT stock, a Cobb accessport with tune and an exhaust can take that over 300HP pretty easily from what I hear.

Wow, you got a good price on that, I've been eying them for a few months now, and most are $16g+

CapnCrunch
12-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I vote for the LGT. The mazda speed 6 has serious reliability issues from what I've read.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah I grabbed one that was a highway car from Edmonton, higher km (176000km when I got it). It still has all the original paperwork and delivery papers and stuff in the glovebox with the manual and such. Its overdue for the timing belt so I just ordered an OEM Timing belt with all the tensioners and idlers with a new waterpump for $375USD Shipped. Its parked for now until I change that because i'm paranoid the timing belt is going to let go and cause me to go nuts and buy a stroker kit and build the heads when the valves kiss the pistons.

kvg
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Another option is not a turbo but a G35 has great power, fun to drive and is killer reliable. They are fairly common and if you want to do mods parts are everywhere.

illtim3d
12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
wrx would be an option, though i find the interiors to be "less refined". The legacy appears to be better.

CapnCrunch what have you read about mazdaspeed 6?

and kvg if I was going the rwd coupe route, id go 350z or maybe RX-8?

kvg
12-30-2010, 01:47 PM
G35 sedan is what I meant.:thumbsup:

Kardon
12-30-2010, 03:00 PM
How looking for a early is300 with a standard. No boost but the 2jzge can be swapped or boosted and then you have a monster.

THEMONK
12-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Aside from insurance issues that you may have, early C5 gets my vote.