PDA

View Full Version : Dec 13 Chestemere rollover

WhippWhapp
12-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I didn't see anything posted about it, my g/f was second on scene.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Scripts/Monday+morning+rollover+claims+life/3969800/story.html

The initial reports didn't mention that the victim was struck by another vehicle while he was on the highway. Very emotional morning for my girlfriend, but she still made it into work for that afternoon after she left the Children' s Hospital.

http://m.calgarysun.com/News/Alberta/16692291.1?fullscreen

"Whisking them away from a highway where their father lay dying, a woman bundled two terrified boys into her SUV, trying to shield them from the horrific scene about to change their lives forever.

Jolyne Watson's actions earned a citizen recognition nomination from Adam Loria, a Calgary medic stopping at the same deadly scene on the Trans-Canada Hwy. on his way to work

But the good Samaritan said she could never have walked away from doing what little she could amid a hopeless situation.

"I just know if it happened to anyone in my family I would want people to help," she said Tuesday.

"I totally believe someone else would have done it if it wasn't me, I have faith God put me there for a reason."

The Siksika Nation High School teacher was on her way to work early Dec. 13 when she saw the aftermath of the roll-over on what police believe to be black ice near Chestermere.

"I went running up and he was so broken," she said of the man on the pavement.

"I could hear sirens, saw a man working on him and then I saw the boys standing right beside the truck."

RCMP said the boys, under age 10, protected by seat belts crawled out of the truck virtually physically unscathed but their dad was thrown from its cab and struck by an oncoming vehicle, later dying of his injuries.

While two Caltech Survey employees tried to help the father and flag away oncoming motorists, a woman was trying to stop his sons from running on to the highway, possibly into traffic, to be at his side.

"It just broke my heart, they were so young and so distraught," said Watson, recalling the boys pleading for their father's survival.

"I lost my dad last summer and I am so fortunate I had him for 30 years they are just so young to lose a dad."

The mother of three took the boys out of the cold and into her SUV, for the next 40 to 45 minutes trying to distract them from what was happening mere feet away.

They watched a DVD although the younger boy politely said he didn't think it would make him feel better and talked about hockey.

Watson tended to a bump on one boy's head while trying to stop their tears as she fought back her own.

"I asked them if their mom and dad believe in God and then we prayed," she said.

"It was so pitiful, their little prayers, I knew he wasn't going to make it."

Watson, who has three children aged three to 13, said she thought of her own children that day and since and hopes someone would be there for them in a similar tragedy.

"I'm really grateful to be there for those little boys," she said, commending their courage during the confusing, terrifying ordeal, especially when their mother arrived on scene.

"The big boy was trying to be so brave for his mom, he was really scared but he was trying to hold back the tears After the ambulance left I just broke down, I was a crying mess all day."

nadia.moharib sunmedia.ca"

euro_racer
12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
damn.... i've seen that truck close to where my gf lives. it was for sale. wonder if that was the new owner of the vehicle or the "seller"

ether way RIP