PDA

View Full Version : Canon 60D?

stealth
12-30-2010, 11:41 PM
So I am looking at buying a DSLR.

It will be my first one, and I wan't something that will last and will take great pictures.

Mostly taking pictures of vacation, and my son.

I always liked Canon cameras, and have used a 40D before and liked it.

I am looking in the $1200 range, and noticed the 60D with a lens on sale at memory express and futureshop.

Is it a good camera? What would you pros recommend?

C4S
12-31-2010, 12:31 AM
It is great for the price!! ~ $12xx with a nice kit lens .. not much more then t2i .. and way less then 7D/D7000 etc!!

Good deal!

Mitsu3000gt
12-31-2010, 02:04 AM
There is nothing available right now that can touch the D7000 for the price. Bang for the buck is off the charts. If you have no current investment, IMO it is the clear choice. You would need to stretch your budget a tiny bit to get a lens though, the $150 50mm/1.8 would be a great starter lens and keep you at $13XX.

Build quality, viewfinder, continuous shooting speed, high ISO performance, autofocus system, and metering are all superior on the D7000. Video is slightly better on the 60D thanks to 30fps and an articulated screen if you like those (Personally I hate articulated screens). D7000 has and intervalometer and dual card slots too which is a nice touch. There is no autofocus fine tune on the 60D either which can be a big deal to some.

This is probably the most intelligent and comprehensive review if you want to do some reading:

http://bythom.com/nikond7000review.htm

That 60D deal isn't bad but you can get a lot more camera for not much more money.

stealth
12-31-2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I am not too worried about video as I have a HD video camera, but it would be a nice added bonus.

Any other recommendations?

muse017
12-31-2010, 02:32 AM
Wow I was actually surprised mistu3000gt did not recommend the D3100 with more money toward lenses.
Anyways Canon 60D is a fantastic camera. Swivel LCD, Full HD capability with complete control, top notch L glasses etc
It's more than enough camera for the most prosumers anyways so you are not going to regret it. If you liked 40D, you will love it.

Mitsu3000gt
12-31-2010, 02:37 AM
In that price range, and if you don't care about video, that is even more reason to go for the D7000 (and its video is till very good at 1080p/24, it just can't do 1080p/30).

The only other suggestion I would make for huge bang for the buck is the D90. It's only $935 with the 18-105 VR lens (much better than the average kit lens). Or you could get the body only for $675 and add something like the 50/1.8 or 35/1.8 and still be well under $1000. It's not as good as the D7000 but once again for the price ($675 body only) it can't be touched.

Really though, right now, the D7000 is the one to get if you can afford it. It competes well beyond its price category and is the newest camera of the bunch.

The reason I did not suggest D3100 + better lenses is because he said he wants this camera to last. If you want something to grow into and that will never hold you back, you need to get into the prosumer stuff. The D3100 is great for beginners, but if you start to really get into photography it's limitations become apparent fairly quickly. Digging through menus to change settings is a piss off even for amateurs.

muse017
12-31-2010, 02:40 AM
Rejection!!

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
There is nothing available right now that can touch the D7000 for the price.

Build quality(K5 win), viewfinder(K5 win approx100% vs 100%) , continuous shooting speed(K5 wins, 6fps vs 7fps), high ISO performance(K5 win, according to DxO labs, Dpreviews and many other reviews), autofocus system(D7000 win), and metering(Draw) are all superior on the D7000.

K5 wins by 4-1-1! lol

Mitsu3000gt
12-31-2010, 02:47 AM
K5 is a nice cam, but the system is nothing compared to Nikon or Canon. It's also over $2000 with a kit lens when it's competition sells for $500 less.

Also what you're missing is that the K5 (same sensor as the D7000) applies a heavier NR than usual to it's RAW images that you cannot turn off, so for some that is a disadvantage. When the ISO is high enough to tell a difference (3200+) it comes down to whether you prefer a softer image with less noise, or an ever so slightly more grainy image with no NR applied but sharper. Most people would rather have the option to apply NR or not apply NR.

Metering and AF are huge plusses as well for the D7000.

Again, the K5 rocks - Pentax hit a home run with that one. It just needs the system to back it up now and the price to come down - the former, at least, isn't happening anytime soon :D

The K5 compares more closely with the D300s and 7D thanks to its high price, where it is more expensive and doesn't compare nearly as favorably (except for that sensor which rocks).

OP: Another thing you should do is actually go to a store and handle these cams, something might stand out to you and make your decision easier.

muse017
12-31-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm just telling you that there is no clearly better/worse cameras. Heck even my 3yrs old K20D or 5yrs old Fuji S5pro can do so much I don't even know some of the functions. :guns: If the decision/recommendation needs to be made strictly on comparisons like yours, its just non-sense to most of beginners or even some prosumers like me. Like I said, 7000D is a fanstastic camera no question, but when OP asked if 60D is a good camera, you don't need to make a such comparison because the brand you like performs better in some areas.

Mitsu3000gt
12-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by muse017
I'm just telling you that there is no clearly better/worse cameras. Heck even my 3yrs old K20D or 5yrs old Fuji S5pro can do so much I don't even know some of the functions. :guns: If the decision/recommendation needs to be made strictly on comparisons like yours, its just non-sense to most of beginners or even some prosumers like me. Like I said, 7000D is a fanstastic camera no question, but when OP asked if 60D is a good camera, you don't need to make a such comparison because the brand you like performs better in some areas.

I have no brand loyalty, I buy whats better for my personal usage needs. I use Nikon for my DSLR and Canon for my P&S.

I'm not sure how you shop, but for me, I like to look at everything I possibly can. Test results are not nonsense, and when he is no longer a beginner he may appreciate some of the things camera X does better than camera Y. I know I would. A lot of the differences aren't insignificant either.

I also never said the 60D wasn't great, but all else being equal you can do better for your money so why wouldn't you? Right now the D7000 is the latest and greatest, in a few months, something else might be.

Features and test results you don't care about could mean the world to someone else, so you just need to leave it up to them to decide. I'm not telling the OP anything that can't be found by doing his own research, so he can decide what information is important and use that to make his decision. I personally could care less what camera he buys.

The OP specifically asked what others recommend, that's all I'm giving him. When more people chime in he can read through the thread and use it as one of the many resources available to him to help choose a camera. Same as anyone else who asks for recommendations here.

Not everyone is a "just go out, buy something, and shoot with it" kind of person. Some like to get the most for their money while they're at it.

Mitsu3000gt
12-31-2010, 03:07 AM
Sorry double post.

muse017
12-31-2010, 03:20 AM
I didn't know D7000 kit was in $1200 range. If you ask him to spend more to uprade to better camera, what's the point there?
Just like K5 vs D7000, K5 is a clearly better camera, but it costs more. People like you will buy it because it's simply better camera in many ways or buy D7000 cuz it's simply bang for the buck.
In this case, 60D is cheaper and very well suited camera for OP. If the price wasn't a big deal for him, I would recommend him a used 7D.

AccentAE86
12-31-2010, 08:43 AM
if you liked the 40D, then consider a used 40D! It's an awesome camera! that will leave you about 700 in your budget for great lenses, which to me, is more important. Personally, I can't see myself replacing my 40D units for many years to come, and I've already been using them for about 3.5 years for professional work. Great camera!

benyl
12-31-2010, 08:46 AM
The 60D slid lower and is no longer a real prosumer camera. The 7D range took that slot.

Great camera, but lacks the dual digic 4, etc...

The T2i isn't that much different but also should be replaced soon. Maybe wait for that replacement.

C4S
12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
I am very happy with the 60D since day 1 it came out ..

Yes, on paper, not as good as D7000, however, QC seems even better then D7000, (or say at least the same) and the kit lens, (no matter 15-85/18-135/18-200) are good, and great value, I did look at D7000 as well, but with 18-200VR, we are talking $2K .. vs $1.3K for 60D + 18-200 ..

Is the D7000 a better body? yes, is the D7000+18-200 better then 60D+18-200? probably, is it $600 or $700 better? then probably no.

One good thing for 60D, it is still made in Japan, I have heard so many problem/issue from made in china/thailand bodies, but not much from MIJ bodies. (other then firmware/recall etc)

Again, depends what you want, 60D fits me (my wife) very well, as she use it to take photo/video for our 1.5 yr old son. :D

Well, I am pissed that Canon has dropped the price for 60D 4 times already .. :banghead:

Mitsu3000gt
12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by muse017
I didn't know D7000 kit was in $1200 range. If you ask him to spend more to uprade to better camera, what's the point there?
Just like K5 vs D7000, K5 is a clearly better camera, but it costs more. People like you will buy it because it's simply better camera in many ways or buy D7000 cuz it's simply bang for the buck.
In this case, 60D is cheaper and very well suited camera for OP. If the price wasn't a big deal for him, I would recommend him a used 7D.

K5 is better than the D7000 in very few areas (1 more FPS, and build quality). That is about it. In far more important areas like metering, autofocus, and ISO performance, the D7000 wins. Depends what's important to you I guess, but for most shooters the latter is much more important. It also costs a lot more. But all this K5 debate is pointless, and has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. The system is very important too, which for most people means either Nikon or Canon.

D7000 + 50/1.8 is $13XX. Canon's 18-200 lens is pretty average, and the 60D is 18MP which means it's going to exaggerate any problems of the cheap 18-200 lens. If the OP is willing to spend a tiny bit more money, he can get a lot more camera. If he is on a super tight budget then no problem, that isn't an option.

Accent makes a good point about used gear too, if you don't care about the latest and greatest, you can look at a 40D, D300, etc..

Actually this is probably the best deal for $1200 going that I can find right now if you're OK with a used camera. Great lens too. This is a steal IMO, and it's "OBO". If you could get this for $1000 you'd be laughing if the body is in good shape:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=221&topic_id=652&mesg_id=652&page=

89coupe
12-31-2010, 02:49 PM
I'll sell you my 50D so I can upgrade to the 7D.:D

stealth
12-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Mitsu3000gt, you are right, I do not mind spending a few extra dollars to get a better bang for the buck.

Thanks for all the info guys, it's good.

stealth
01-02-2011, 08:46 PM
So I ended up getting the D7000.

I got it for 1377.49+gst with a 18-105mm lens, is this a good deal?

I really don't need the camera until spring time, but I figure I need practice to take some half decent pictures, when I go on vacation.

89coupe
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by stealth

I really don't need the camera until spring time, but I figure I need practice to take some half decent pictures, when I go on vacation.

I would have sold you my Canon 50D for less.

Go4Long
01-02-2011, 08:57 PM
yes...you should have bought brads' camera because it was cheaper...you didn't need to spend this time figuring out which camera better met your needs.:rolleyes:

Good choice on the D7000 man...everything people are saying about it says it's a great choice...and of course I love it because it's nikon.

stealth
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I would have sold you my Canon 50D for less.

I didn't even notice your post. Thanks for the offer anyways, but I wanted something new.

Go4Long, good to hear, that is what I have been reading and is the main reason I went with a Nikon, even though I prefer the Canon brand.

Mitsu3000gt
01-02-2011, 10:27 PM

That is a really good deal, congrats on the purchase. You're going to love that camera.

If you have any questions about it or photography in general feel free to PM or post here.

stealth
01-02-2011, 11:23 PM

That is a really good deal, congrats on the purchase. You're going to love that camera.

If you have any questions about it or photography in general feel free to PM or post here.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

stealth
01-03-2011, 05:33 AM
One thing I noticed in the shutter count of some pictures I have taken is that it is already at 150.

Is this normal? I only took maybe 15 pictures in total. I am thinking of taking it back and getting a new one, because it seems as if this has been used due to the counter.

Is there any other way I can see how many pictures have been taken with this camera?

If it makes a difference I used a old SD card. And noticed the DSC numbering started off at the same number as my old camera just in a new folder.

Example:

Canon: last picture had a name of DSC_3398 in the Canon folder.

Nikon: first few pictures had a name of DSC_34XX in the Nikon folder.

blitz
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. If it came with all the accessories and there's no marks on it there's no difference at all. Same quality, same warranty :thumbsup:

muse017
01-03-2011, 09:21 AM
One thing I noticed in the shutter count of some pictures I have taken is that it is already at 150.

Is this normal? I only took maybe 15 pictures in total. I am thinking of taking it back and getting a new one, because it seems as if this has been used due to the counter.

Is there any other way I can see how many pictures have been taken with this camera?

If it makes a difference I used a old SD card. And noticed the DSC numbering started off at the same number as my old camera just in a new folder.

Example:

Canon: last picture had a name of DSC_3398 in the Canon folder.

Nikon: first few pictures had a name of DSC_34XX in the Nikon folder.

I believe its normal due to its testing procedure from factory. Mine had little over 200 actuations when I got it.

stealth
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
I called Nikon, and they said it should have 0 from the factory.

I just hate having something that I know someone else had and returned it for some reason or another. Especially if they planned on returning it and might of screwed around with it.

Go4Long
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
it's much more likely that it was in store testing.
When you tell someone that a camera shoots 6 frames a second they immediately want to test it.
It's the same thing with my D3s, I hand it to people to try out and immediately they want to see what 11 frames a second sounds like...lol

Muji
01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I called Nikon, and they said it should have 0 from the factory.

I just hate having something that I know someone else had and returned it for some reason or another. Especially if they planned on returning it and might of screwed around with it.

I too own Nikon, Canon and other digital cameras and have found this site to be very useful, I order all his publications in eBook form focusing on my camera model:

http://www.bythom.com/

I see on the website, the D7000 has an update to the software; if you need a reminder. It is a wonderful camera and ought to give you years of service if taken care of in the proper manner. I have some digital cameras from as far back as 2004 which I still use in day to day photography.

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I'd probably return a camera that came with 150 shutter actuations, but I'm pretty anal about my stuff. If the camera performs flawlessly though it probably is a non-issue. If someone fired off 150 pictures with it, in store or not, IMO that is not "new" product even though its insignificant in the grand scheme of things. If that is something that's always going to bother you then go get a new one.

stealth
01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I'd probably return a camera that came with 150 shutter actuations, but I'm pretty anal about my stuff. If the camera performs flawlessly though it probably is a non-issue. If someone fired off 150 pictures with it, in store or not, IMO that is not "new" product even though its insignificant in the grand scheme of things. If that is something that's always going to bother you then go get a new one.

Ya, I have the same thoughts. I paid for a new camera, so I expected a new camera.

I went back to MemoryExpress, and told them what I noticed. They told me they usually QA the cameras so it might of been that, but I mentioned to him what Nikon said.

He checked the computer, and it in fact was a return. They forgot to mark it as used/open box, and sold it to me as brand new...

The person who returned it said the autofocus didn't work.

So now I am waiting for them to order a new one.

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM

Ya, I have the same thoughts. I paid for a new camera, so I expected a new camera.

I went back to MemoryExpress, and told them what I noticed. They told me they usually QA the cameras so it might of been that, but I mentioned to him what Nikon said.

He checked the computer, and it in fact was a return. They forgot to mark it as used/open box, and sold it to me as brand new...

Good thing you asked I guess. I wouldn't want returned product. I would bet $100 though that person who returned it was just a retard and the AF worked flawlessly. Such has been the case with 99% of D7000 "issues".

I also bet nobody "forgot" to mark it as returned/open box...they probably just looked at it, it looked new and worked perfectly so they put it back on the shelf.

EDIT: Just saw Muji said the same thing haha.

Muji
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Good catch, the "forgot" end of things was a lie. They knew it and hoped a customer would overlook the situation. Did they offer you a discount? If they did it was the discounted price they would have normally sold it for on the floor, but marked as such. I have trust issues with places I do business with, if they screw me once, I will never return. How can one trust the place? Sure it might be a one off situation, I will take any bets this happens all the time at ME. And to make matters worse, they have kind of ruined your experience with the new camera and wasted hours of your time. It is not like you/we do not have a hundred other places actually wanting our business for the same product, so many options out there. Maybe my standards are too high? My grandfather lived his whole life in a smallish city, by the time he was in his sixties he had run out of businesses to deal with, he had blacklisted so many. By the end of his life he was buying his new cars (every two years he bought two cars) in the city 350 miles away.... am I on that path? Now I have the internet, the whole world is my shopping mall. Ha Ha

C4S
01-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Wow .. $1377 is cheap! I think they are $1500?

Is $1377 local deal? or whatever order online, and shipping on top?

Now, you can get the SB700 too! One nice looking flash! :D

stealth
01-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Mitsu3000gt

The auto focus seemed to work fine for me. I had some blurry pictures but it might of been me being a newb.

Yea they definitely didn't forget lol.

No they did not offer me a discount. They were selling it for the regular price, which was 15XX.

I didn't really want to ask for a discount because I do not want something used, especially from someone who probably had no idea what they were doing, or just wanted to take a few nice pictures on the weekend and return it.

I got it for 1377+taxes locally, because Futureshop had it for 1449, and they had to price match it and beat it by a full 5%.

So, I have to wait until they get another one in, so I can go pick it up. Seems like they are back ordered everywhere.

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Mitsu3000gt

The auto focus seemed to work fine for me. I had some blurry pictures but it might of been me being a newb.

Yea they definitely didn't forget lol.

No they did not offer me a discount. They were selling it for the regular price, which was 15XX.

I didn't really want to ask for a discount because I do not want something used, especially from someone who probably had no idea what they were doing, or just wanted to take a few nice pictures on the weekend and return it.

I got it for 1377+taxes locally, because Futureshop had it for 1449, and they had to price match it and beat it by a full 5%.

So, I have to wait until they get another one in, so I can go pick it up. Seems like they are back ordered everywhere.

Yeah there is a learning curve for sure, definitely don't feel discouraged if you aren't getting the pictures you had hoped for right away. The guy who bought it before you probably tried to take a picture in some ridiculous situation, it didn't give him magical results, so he returned it lol. Lots of that goes on.

Their out of stock everywhere because everyone wants one and also because Nikon always has trouble meeting demand when they release a new camera.

stealth
01-11-2011, 04:27 AM
So I noticed when editing my first picture, that there is a dead pixel right in the middle of it when I zoom in.

Is there a fix to this? Should I return the camera once again?

muse017
01-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Have you updated to newest version of the firmware? I know there was hot/dead pixels issues with D7000 and Nikon released the firmware to fix it.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
So I noticed when editing my first picture, that there is a dead pixel right in the middle of it when I zoom in.

Is there a fix to this? Should I return the camera once again?

Before you return it, update the firmware to 1.01. If the pixel is still there, update it again.

That seemed to fix it for anyone having hot/stuck pixels in shooting and/or video. Nikon has updated their algorithm for removing hot pixels too, (with suggestions from Thom Hogan and one other lady) and it's much better.

Here is the link:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17108

Not all, but A LOT of cameras eventually develop the odd hot pixel over time. They are more likely to appear at higher ISO's, long exposures, and when the camera is very hot. It takes less than 1 second to clone out, and also if you use Adobe camera RAW, it automatically removes them for you.

stealth
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I updated the firmware, and it still produces hot pixels.

The thing that gets me is that it is on a brand new camera. They appear in the auto shoot mode, not at very high ISOs or anything like that.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I updated the firmware, and it still produces hot pixels.

The thing that gets me is that it is on a brand new camera. They appear in the auto shoot mode, not at very high ISOs or anything like that.

Update it again, some people had to do it 2-3 times.

Secondly, hot pixels shouldn't appear in only certain camera modes (i.e. AUTO). That has no real effect on hot pixels unless it's always choosing a super high ISO or something.

Nikon service defines a problem pixel as those that show up at shutter speeds faster than 1 second, and/or at ISO 800 or less at 100% magnification. If that is the case, and the second or third firmware installs do nothing, I would return the camera.

All cameras from all manufactures have a chance of having hot/stuck pixels, even when brand new. This is nothing new in the camera world. Sounds like you're just having some bad luck.

If you do exchange it, check if the new one has hot pixels in the store, you should be able to tell by zooming in on the LCD and scrolling around the image methodically. I've always been able to see the hot pixels that way.

Also if you use Photoshop and shoot RAW, it's not really an issue as hot pixels are automatically removed.

stealth
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I updated it now a total of 3 times, and see one or two dead pixels.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I updated it now a total of 3 times, and see one or two dead pixels.

Well exchange it if it bothers you then, especially if it's within Nikon's defined range of faster than 1 second shutter speed, and/or ISO 800 or less.

Check the new one in the store before you take it home. Hot pixels aren't hard to see on the screen at 100% or more.

Go4Long
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
you could post a picture with an example of what you're perceiving to be a hot/dead pixel as well...for curiosity's sake...

stealth
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/i/dsc0081ee.jpg/

There is one on his nose, and one in his hair on his right side. Sometime there is more. I circled the ones which I found.

Most of those I have been able to remove with the update, but the one that is actually permanent is in the bottom right in the blanket.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 11:09 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/i/dsc0081ee.jpg/

There is one on his nose, and one in his hair on his right side. Sometime there is more.

Most of those I have been able to remove with the update, but the one that is actually permanent is in the bottom right in the blanket.

If the only one remaining is far bottom right, you may or may not want to exchange the camera. No matter what camera you get, there is a reasonable chance it will get a hot pixel or two. Far bottom right is an ideal place to have a hot pixel, if you're going to have one.

Also that picture looks underexposed by about 0.7-1.0 EV which probably doesn't help things.

Nevertheless, if it's something that will always bother you, there is nothing wrong with exchanging it, especially if it displays a hot pixel under Nikon's definition of a problem pixel.

Just check the new one in-store maybe though before you bring it home, it'll save you some trouble. They are easy to see on the LCD at full magnification.

stealth
01-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Yea I returned it, and again they are out of stock.

It was annoying as it would also show up on video recording (even though I won't use video much).

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2011, 10:22 AM
The only problem with trying it in store, like I suggested, is that it won't have the new firmware. I didn't think about that before. Unless you bring a memory card to the store with the firmware on it, you will have to take it home to see if it has any unfixable hot pixels.

stealth
11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Bumping up an old thread.

I am back on the market for a DSLR and looked again at the D7000. I am hoping now that some of the bugs with pixels has been worked out.

I noticed that MemX has it on for $450 off for the bundled kit.

Would you guys still recommend it, or should I be looking at something newer in the $1200-$1300 price range?

maxomilll
11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Go mirror less. Nex-7 or the fujifilm x-e1 are both pretty sick.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_nex7&products=fujifilm_xe1&products=nikon_d7000

Mitsu3000gt
11-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Bumping up an old thread.

I am back on the market for a DSLR and looked again at the D7000. I am hoping now that some of the bugs with pixels has been worked out.

I noticed that MemX has it on for $450 off for the bundled kit.

Would you guys still recommend it, or should I be looking at something newer in the $1200-$1300 price range?

There is still nothing better in the price range, assuming you're looking at the 18-105 VR kit. Body only can be had under $900.

Keep in mind the successor to the D7000 will "likely" be out in January but not guarantees.

Every camera will eventually get hot pixels, so don't let that deter you too much.

kvg
11-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Unless your going ff go mirrorless :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Mirrorless is nice... if you need to keep your camera in your purse.

/trollolololol
//ohgodIownarangefinder

kvg
11-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Hey I may have just got a 5d, but I still love me some mirrorless :love: I will only have to carry a purse when I have the 5d the GX1 goes right in my jacket pocket :bigpimp:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Yeah I'd love a mirrorless for hiking, but I keep telling myself I don't need to buy into a fifth body/lens system. :nut:

maxomilll
11-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Yeah I'd love a mirrorless for hiking, but I keep telling myself I don't need to buy into a fifth body/lens system. :nut:

w0rd. I'd love to buy an x-e1 but I just can't justify it yet.

stealth
11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
What is better Mirrorless or DSLR? The Mirrorless ones seem cheaper.

Mitsu3000gt
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
What is better Mirrorless or DSLR? The Mirrorless ones seem cheaper.

It just depends what your priorities are. The difference mostly is in the physical size, sensor quality, and AF performance.

Mirrorless gives you the maximum performance in the smallest possible interchangeable lens package. That is typically where the advantages end, but they are getting better with every product release I see. If you don't use your DSLR because it's too big, it doesn't matter if it's better or not - that is one area mirrorless can be attractive.

Most (but not all) mirrorless cameras use contrast detect AF which is all but useless for tracking motion, but perfectly fine for any other shooting scenario. The Sony NEX series and Nikon J2/V2 series incorporate sensor based phase detect AF to help get the best of both worlds.

As for sensors, with the exception of the new Sony NEX's, there is no mirrorless camera that has a sensor as good as anything as even the entry level DSLRs. This is mostly due to the fact that most mirrorless cameras use the M4/3 sensor size and old technology. Olympus is coming close though.

Lastly there is the viewfinder debate. With mirrorless you're forced to use the rear LCD screen or an add-on electronic viewfinder. Some people don't mind them, other's hate them, so if you're used to the optical VF on a DSLR that could be something to look into.

Basically if you want maximum performance in all categories, get a DSLR. If you want maximum portability with some performance compromises, mirrorless is a great option.