PDA

View Full Version : Pickpocket at distance.

ZenOps
12-31-2010, 08:52 AM
If you leave your wallet in your back pocket - Better watch what you are sitting on!

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/tech/2010/12/27/dnt.electronic.pickpocket.wreg.html

Been around for a while now, but still worth a re-mention. Maybe its better, maybe its worse - but I think being able to order up a beer by sitting on a RFID scanner in the barstool (or entering the door) is neat.

Modelexis
12-31-2010, 09:20 PM
The scanner doesn't give them that little number at the back and it doesn't allow them to make a duplicate, because of the lack of chip that all cards now have.

Even if they do get the # and manage to buy something, the charge is refunded by the CC company.

Cos
12-31-2010, 09:22 PM
^^ is THAT what the chip is for? I never could quite figure out how it was 'safer' that would make sense

Muji
12-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Who carries a wallet in their back pocket anymore?

yoPf98i8A0g

Benny
12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ is THAT what the chip is for? I never could quite figure out how it was 'safer' that would make sense

Not to derail the thread but I hate that fucking chip. Takes FOREVER. I've got a debit card without the chip and I'm babying the thing. Don't wanna have to get a new one.

Modelexis
12-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Benny
Not to derail the thread but I hate that fucking chip. Takes FOREVER. I've got a debit card without the chip and I'm babying the thing. Don't wanna have to get a new one.

You're like those old men that still cling to their IROC Z and mullets. Get with the times bro, it takes the same amount of time as the strip, plus you don't have retards trying all 4 ways to swipe their cards, just one way to insert.

Benny
12-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

You're like those old men that still cling to their IROC Z and mullets. Get with the times bro, it takes the same amount of time as the strip, plus you don't have retards trying all 4 ways to swipe their cards, just one way to insert.

:rofl: I'm certainly not an old man. Fact of the matter is it does not take the same amount of time. The chip is much slower and people fuck it up 10x as much because they always pull the card out of the machine too early.

I don't like it with my CC either. Now you always have to walk up and pay through the machine at dinner instead of giving the server your card and having him bring the bill for you to sign.

01RedDX
12-31-2010, 10:36 PM

Benny
12-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Was just a Regency Palace tonight and the waiter came around with a wireless machine and each couple took turns paying their bill as we continued to talk and enjoy ourselves.
So much easier and safer, since you don't need to part with your card at all.

I'll agree on that one. Not everywhere has is, but if the place has the wireless machine I'm happy to use it. I just don't like having to get up after dinner with someone and walk off for a few minutes to enter my pin number at the bar. I'm a picky prick that way. :rofl:

Cos
12-31-2010, 10:54 PM
I agree that standing in line at 7-11 with everyone with a chip, or in line at tim hortons it can be frustrating.

For the CC, it is much nicer, except at places that dont have table service for their machines yet.

And yes it is WAY longer than the stripe.

{insert card}
{checking chip}
{okay transaction, amount, pin, okay}
{wait}
{verified pin}
{processing, do not remove}
{approved, do not remove}
{remove card}

4lti
12-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Benny

:rofl: I'm certainly not an old man. Fact of the matter is it does not take the same amount of time. The chip is much slower and people fuck it up 10x as much because they always pull the card out of the machine too early.

I don't like it with my CC either. Now you always have to walk up and pay through the machine at dinner instead of giving the server your card and having him bring the bill for you to sign.

I AGREE!
I hate the stupid chip on my new card.
Takes forever to go through. Just a awkward looong two minutes to wait to get your card back.

Maybe they should make card swipes all facing one way instead of different between every goddamn store!

J-hop
12-31-2010, 11:52 PM
ya the chip is freaking annoying. Especially when you get those dim wits that pull their card out before the transaction is complete, then it ends up creating a huge mess. Happened in a tim hortons line up a while back and it held up that till longer than it took me (being five people back in the line from the bozo) to make it to the front, order my drink and walk off.

This is also why I hate when places don't ID you when using your credit card. I always hand my ID with the card and people sometimes give me funny looks. If everyone was required to present photo ID it would make it that much more difficult to use someone else's credit card number.

Xtrema
01-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Btw the chip & pin has been already somewhat defeated. While cloning is still impossible, lost cards can now be used without knowing the PIN.

There are also a few wireless terminal out there that leaks quite a bit of critical data.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/papers/oakland10chipbroken.pdf

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27/credit_card_reader_security_pants/

Hamann
01-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I hate the chip in debit cards :banghead: it's annoying that it takes longer, but if you use your card alot you wear it out. I'm on my 3rd Card, they last me around 3-4 months :thumbsdow

speedog
01-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Chips cards slower than stripe only cards - dunno. A lot of this depends upon the connection the retailer has from their payment processing machine - in our shop, our payment processing machine is DSL connected and also not connected/integrated to our point of sale system and chip card transactions are almost always faster than stripe only card transactions. Other factors that have to be considered as well is the vintage of the payment processing machine that the retailer has - older machines are slower and as an example, our new receipt printer is four times faster than the old one that we replaced early this winter. One thing is for sure, no card transaction take two minutes in our shop be it chipped or striped - hell, I can change out the payment processing machine's paper roll if it is out and still have my customers on their way in under two minutes.

speedog
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Just a fyi update - the last Visa chip card transaction here at our shop took 20 seconds from the time I entered the transaction amount to when the transaction was complete and the card was removed by the customer.

speedog
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Last chipped debit card transaction was 30 seconds from start to finish. Chip card transactions are certainly not slow in our shop - like I said earlier, there are many variables which will slow things down.

z24_wheels
01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
RFID shield your cards

http://www.flipsidewallet.com/

kenny
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Chip cards are irrelevant until they get rid of the stripe.

jwslam
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I've had my BMO card's chip totally die twice now.

First card the chip one day decided to error everywhere I go.
Now the replacement card has died after like a month.

And the Chase Visa I got two months ago.. they sent me a pin for a card that doesn't even have a chip in it...

01RedDX
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM