PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

smokedog
01-02-2011, 12:39 AM
I got a letter in the mail to be summoned for jury selection. I'm a student, so is there a way I can excused from jury duty? Or since I'm a student I'm automatically not qualified to become a juror member?

SkittleFreak
01-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Call the number provided and ask them?

Clever
01-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Just went through this recently, call the number, but you can also show up and right before selection they will give you a chance to speak to the judge and you can explain your situation, that is if you get chosen to be selected.

Muji
01-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Vote and that is what happens, you get on a list. Tell the judge you are a Taoist and as such you find no fault with anyone.

DGill
01-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Clever
Just went through this recently, call the number, but you can also show up and right before selection they will give you a chance to speak to the judge and you can explain your situation, that is if you get chosen to be selected. Speak to the judge and say that you have exams or something going on and they will excuse you :thumbsup:

dandia89
01-02-2011, 02:47 AM
my friend got chosen by this, and he doesn't want to do it purely because of school. i think it'd be so interesting, but maybe i watch too much tv

FraserB
01-02-2011, 02:51 AM
I'll go in your place.

V6-BoI
01-02-2011, 03:11 AM
I got summoned twice when I was in school. I replied and said I had too hectic of a school schedule around the summon date and got exempt for both times.

J-hop
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Muji
Vote and that is what happens, you get on a list. Tell the judge you are a Taoist and as such you find no fault with anyone.

it is our duty as citizens, its not some telemarketing list, if you don't like it, go live somewhere else, simple as that.

yea my GF was summoned for jury selection, but had to play the school card because she was swamped with school and work at the time so they let her off.

Also remember even if they don't let you off initially, this is jury selection so there is still a chance you won't be selected. but they are pretty understanding from what i've heard. There is no reason for them to hold you back from bettering yourself (through education) for something like jury duty.

Toma
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
I would totally do it.... sounds fun.

But There is NO way you could be a juror in a long trial as a student. Could easily put you back a full school year even over a trial as short as a week or two.

However, I betya most trials are like a day tops.

Tik-Tok
01-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Also remember even if they don't let you off initially, this is jury selection so there is still a chance you won't be selected.

Yeah, a co-worker went downtown for it, he said he sat in the court for a few hours while they were interviewing the prospective jurors, they never even got to him by the time they had them all selected.

SkittleFreak
01-02-2011, 03:29 PM
i got summoned once and it was cancelled last minute before i even went for it. so it was all good

spikerS
01-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I'll go in your place.

If he back out, i call dibs.

:rofl:

I have been waiting forever to get that letter. I want to go through the whole process.

jwslam
01-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Vote and that is what happens, you get on a list.
I'm pretty sure it's only in the US where you're on a list if you're a listed voter, whereas in Canada you can be chosen whether you vote or not.

I think I heard this in social 20 or something and that's how they explained why voter turnout is higher in Canada over the US.

Jeremiah
01-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Just say you hate Blacks, Jews, Gays and Women, you'll get off easily

Disoblige
01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
It'll be interesting if you have no busy life (i.e. you're some bum). When you need to go to work, or have plans, this would be a total bitch to do.

I know for the most part it'll likely be interesting because when I'm in traffic court, they also include other little things in family court like kids stealing their dad's car, vandalism, assault, etc. It's fun to watch because the trial only lasts 30 minutes to an hour. I'd imagine it to be boring if it was a long trial.

Muji
01-02-2011, 08:04 PM

it is our duty as citizens, its not some telemarketing list, if you don't like it, go live somewhere else, simple as that.

yea my GF was summoned for jury selection, but had to play the school card because she was swamped with school and work at the time so they let her off.

Also remember even if they don't let you off initially, this is jury selection so there is still a chance you won't be selected. but they are pretty understanding from what i've heard. There is no reason for them to hold you back from bettering yourself (through education) for something like jury duty.

Duty as citizens? WTF have you done for Canada? I think my family has served enough in the armed forces to justify my saying no to jury duty.

Muji
01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I'm pretty sure it's only in the US where you're on a list if you're a listed voter, whereas in Canada you can be chosen whether you vote or not.

I think I heard this in social 20 or something and that's how they explained why voter turnout is higher in Canada over the US.

"Your name gets chosen for jury duty at random from the votersŐ list. Your participation is a legal obligation."

http://www.canadianlawsite.ca/jury-duty.htm

Muji
01-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
Just say you hate Blacks, Jews, Gays and Women, you'll get off easily

This works as well, hate all those who are not like you and thee shall be set free. Mention all crimes are done by browns, natives and the garbage they let into Canada. Then look at any in the courtroom who fill this bill and give them the death stare.

*I know this is racist, it is not my view.

J-hop
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Duty as citizens? WTF have you done for Canada? I think my family has served enough in the armed forces to justify my saying no to jury duty.

your family, you mean you? or just your family? don't count what your family does for the country towards your personal contribution to the country, that is an insult to your parents/brothers/sisters etc contribution.

Either way this is not fighting a war, this is your duty as a citizen of Canada to ensure our justice system can function (although you may not think its a great system.

I personally have done nothing for Canada worth mentioning, my family does however have a decorated history, but that is no excuse to bitch about jury duty (unless I had a legit excuse like school) and say that somehow my contribution to the country has already been covered by someone else, that isn't how life works bud.

Your comment is a huge insult to every man woman and child that died so we can live in a free country where we work towards judging people as objectively as possible by random jury selection.

Your family members fought for what we have today and you think its wrong that you are asked to participate? What was their sacrifice worth than??

Muji
01-02-2011, 09:20 PM

your family, you mean you? or just your family? don't count what your family does for the country towards your personal contribution to the country, that is an insult to your parents/brothers/sisters etc contribution.

Either way this is not fighting a war, this is your duty as a citizen of Canada to ensure our justice system can function (although you may not think its a great system.

I personally have done nothing for Canada worth mentioning, my family does however have a decorated history, but that is no excuse to bitch about jury duty (unless I had a legit excuse like school) and say that somehow my contribution to the country has already been covered, that isn't how life works bud.

Who is bitching? What is your problem anyway? I was responding to the OP, your point is off topic by a mile. Dead end this convo with you. Over and out for good.

bignerd
01-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I know tons of people that have been called for jury duty and usually they resolve the issue before it goes to an actual jury trial. I myself have been called and said I was okay with attending (my work paid for it anyhow) but it never got as far as going for an interview.

baygirl
01-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I served on a jury in Newfoundland. I thought why not, off work and paid for it...omg, it was the longest, most boring week of my life! Not at all like on t.v.:(

frizzlefry
01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
I would hate to be summoned. I had to work on my honeymoon remotely....if I can't take time off for my own honeymoon, I'll be damned if I do it for jury duty. I think the jury systems sucks, being that most people are morons. I would choose trial by judge....unless I was guilty. Read this, brilliant bit on the jury system by Dawkins.
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:e0LNSixfoesJ:lucite.org/lucite/archive/atheism_-_dawkins_articles/trial%2520by%2520jury.pdf+trial+by+jury+richard+dawkins&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESg2_-VMDqAsyaMQ7Zn9nSuJDRW8XwERrZXZFqmvS_XHLGxHlf8qIAVBozIn4f4nnMu6QhDRozcBI4W6qEDyPfyBYUlteaq-CHTR8DdDg6YzSJttg1su3Ejzcmgr4tptAsyb2tEW&sig=AHIEtbQVKqgpubuPw_zBGKxn4VmeJuaP_w