PDA

View Full Version : BP oil spill did not happen?

scottv442
01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Just watched the 5:30pm global news in calgary.
They showed, what they believe to be, the top news stories from around the world for 2010.
No mention of the BP oil spill in the gulf of mexico, with the deaths of the oil rig workers and Huge economic impact of the spill on the local economies.
But, they did mention the canadian census scandal...the chilean mine disaster and rescue...G20 toronto...and chlorea epedemic in ther carribean.
Hell...i would have thought the months of enviromental containmenation by a major oil company, and near complete loss of a major world fishery would have at least made an honourable mention in the news events of 2010....or am i wrong?

:dunno:

Cos
01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
It is a 3 or 4 part installment from what I know. They mentioned it was a continuation from last night.

Ed the SOHC
01-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Edit.

e31
01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
In my opinion, I figure I might as well mention Eastside Dodge in a thread full of such massive fuckup as BP and Justin Beaver.

But wait, Global can't televise negativity for it's advertising partners.

BigMass
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
TV is nothing but a propaganda medium for governments and corporations. Why even watch it expecting something meaningful?

rage2
01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
The whole Gulf state tourism industry got fucked over thanks to the media. Very little beaches got polluted by the Deep Horizon spill, but the media made the whole area look like a wasteland. Kinda sad.

If anything, the media should do a followup on the true effects on the area, of course that won't be bad news, and people will just claim that it's propaganda for corporations anyways. ;)

BP had to dish out a $20b fund for claims. They're getting 1/2 of it back because it wasn't as bad as it was portrayed by the media.

BigMass
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The whole Gulf state tourism industry got fucked over thanks to the media. Very little beaches got polluted by the Deep Horizon spill, but the media made the whole area look like a wasteland. Kinda sad.

If anything, the media should do a followup on the true effects on the area, of course that won't be bad news, and people will just claim that it's propaganda for corporations anyways. ;)

BP had to dish out a $20b fund for claims. They're getting 1/2 of it back because it wasn't as bad as it was portrayed by the media.

Gulf state tourism got fucked by a mix between real effects of the BP spill, standard over reaction from the populace and last but not least, the worst recession since the great depression. The media does need to report on what’s going on to one extent or another. One can even argue that the full effects and cost of the Gulf oil spill were in some way downplayed and whitewashed. I think there already was a thread were we debated the details. Either way the issue is pretty much dead at this point.

Zephyr
01-03-2011, 04:27 PM
All they need to do is give Justin Bieber a free house in that area, then the tourists will come.

Kennyredline
01-03-2011, 11:35 PM
I noticed the other night that CBC had a 90-minute show on the BP spill; it might just be a matter of what media outlet a person watches.