PDA

View Full Version : fabric paint

SteeleMX3
01-03-2011, 01:49 AM
So I've become sick of the cold and decided to install some seat heaters in my stock seats, at the moment im sitting in blue/black bucket seats but ill swap them out until the summer for my oem heated seats. The problem is Id still like to have the blue/black interior and I figure I could just fabic paint them rather than reupholster, because im poor as sh1te until uni lets out. I've painted my roof/sunroof lining and door cards and other bits of the interior, but seats are very high-traffic areas and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and could enlighten me on the reality of painting them and the proper way to go about it.

cheers

J-hop
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
What kind of car is it? is it old enough that you are possibly able to go to pick and pull and get some seat skins?

I personally don't know of any fabric paint and don't know if I would trust any sort of fabric paint to not come off on my/passengers clothes. I think the only real way to color a seat's material is to dye it.

SteeleMX3
01-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Its a 92 MX3, I could definitely get some seat skins, I've actually taken mine off already, because I plan to install the heaters, but I don't know how to dye with two seperate colours so I don't think that'd work for me.

jonfoo
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I've used the duplicolor stuff and no matter what i do i can never get a good color change without making the seats feel kinda crusty, even waiting hours between coats

however the seats i was spraying had a woven texture to them. having had an mx-3 myself i know that the material that those seats have would be way more susceptible to fabric paint and you should be able to get some decent results.

also color doesnt rub off on clothes