PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 30mm F1.4

KISS_ME
01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Anyone have an opinion on this lens? My friend in Hong Kong picked one of these up new for~$300 Canadian. Im wondering if i should pick one up too since it's kinda cheap.

Reviews online say i would be better of with the canon 35mm but considering the price i listed above would you still go for the canon? Im just a casual photographer but i've always wanted a larger aperture lens for low light photography. The other option i was thinking was the 50mm 1.8 but i dont mind spending the extra buck to get the job done right.

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2011, 02:22 PM
The Sigma 30/1.4 is a great lens IF you get a good copy. There is more than usual sample variation with that lens (and with most 3rd party ultra wide aperture lenses). I personally wouldn't buy a third party lens from somewhere I couldn't return it. Some people go through 2 or 3 lenses before getting a good one. If you do get a bad copy, you could send it to Sigma for them to try fix it for you, but I don't know how that would work with a Hong Kong warranty. $300 is cheap for that lens but it would still be a bit of a gamble IMO.

KISS_ME
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I dont know too much about Sigma other then them being a third party vendor. What do you mean by sample variation? what kinda problems can i experience??

I thought all these lenses are mass produced so you should be expecting the same product from the beginning of the production line to the end.

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
I dont know too much about Sigma other then them being a third party vendor. What do you mean by sample variation? what kinda problems can i experience??

I thought all these lenses are mass produced so you should be expecting the same product from the beginning of the production line to the end.

Sample variation happens with all lenses, but is FAR more common on the third party stuff. With the really wide aperture primes from Sigma, the most common issue by far is focus issues (either front or back focus). It is especially annoying because your depth of field is so thin already if you're shooting at f1.4 that if it's off just a bit it will be very noticeable. It's not guaranteed or anything, but with the 30/1.4 especially it was/is a very common complaint. The variation in the sharpness of the copies isn't typically an issue with Sigma's primes, but is with some of their other lenses, particularly their wide angles like the 10-20/4. It doesn't matter how sharp a lens is if it won't focus properly.

C4S
01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
You get warranty for Sigma even you buy it from HK ..

But hassle .. ( if you need to cal the lens for example )

KISS_ME
01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Damn, sigma sounds kinda iffy at best, more like the roll of a dice with their products.

Im not sure how legit this place my buddy has hook up for is. For all i know it could have fallen off the back of a truck so repairs might be an issue but the price is super tempting, now im confused to which route to take. hahahaha.

muse017
01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
30/F1.4 actually has three different version so probably your friend's price is most likely oldest model.

msommers
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I have this lens and friggin love it.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Of all the lenses I own, the Sigma 30/1.4 is easily the one I use most often.

blitz
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
I loved my 30mm 1.4 and I've owned multiple sigma lenses and never had a "bad" copy, I think that part is blown out of proportion.

AccentAE86
01-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I love mine. Optically, it's excellent. I had the Canon 35 f/1.4L and on a crop sensor, you won't be able to tell a diff.

$300 is a great price. Mine is one of the older versions and it's excellent. I'd buy one for $300. Gentec International in Markham is who services Sigma lenses in Canada. If you bought a lens outside of Canada, Gentec will still warranty service it but add a $50 surcharge. Considering this lens is $600 in Canada, I'd totally buy one for $300 and spend the extra $50 *IF* it needs calibration. My lens needed no calibration. It was excellent right out of the box.

KISS_ME
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
how do i know which generation the lens is from? does sigma have a date stamp like canon?

anyhow, lens sounds sweet. just asked friend to pick me up one. hopefully i can take delivery in a few weeks

thanks guys

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
how do i know which generation the lens is from? does sigma have a date stamp like canon?

anyhow, lens sounds sweet. just asked friend to pick me up one. hopefully i can take delivery in a few weeks

thanks guys

Like I have been saying if you get a good copy right away or are willing to send it away if it's not, you will love the lens like others in this thread. Absolutely nothing wrong with the optics, build, etc. $300 is a good price regardless of the version.

Go4Long
01-03-2011, 09:06 PM
I had one for a couple weeks just to try it out, wish I had kept it since I now have a crop body at my disposal again. but such is life.

dragonone
01-04-2011, 12:01 AM
where is it $300CAD in HK?

clem24
01-04-2011, 12:38 AM
If someone said I could only keep one lens for my D200, this would be it. $300 + possible $50 is cheaper than what I paid used.

Your buddy could always do his due diligence before leaving the store. HK stores are the worst when it comes to customer service. :nut:

KISS_ME
01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
where is it $300CAD in HK?

I have no idea, i didn't ask about that part mainly because i dont know my way around HK that well.

I spoke to my friend yesterday - the copy he got has a matte black finish, comes with a hood lens, a pretty sweet carrying pouch and unfilled warranty card. I checked on the net and looks like the matte black finish is an older version (early 09 stock maybe??) while the newer ones have a clear black finish, optically and build wise should be similar for both.

Cant wait to take delivery. Thanks guys for all the help.

AccentAE86
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I believe the only difference is the outer finish. The optics and design remain totally unchanged. Sigma is moving away from the matte black finish. I actually prefer the dull matte style.

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2011, 02:53 PM
For those of you who think Sigma's quality control issues on fast primes are exaggerated, Thom Hogan got 2 bad copies in a row to mention a single example (read initial comments on the link).

Both his copies were also awful at f1.4, which is the main reason really to own a lens like this (to shoot at f1.4).

http://www.bythom.com/Sigma%2030mm-HSM-lensreview.htm

All of them probably aren't like that from the samples I've seen, but it supports the need to either be able to send it away for repair or exchange it.

As for the finish, that is the only difference. Optics are the same. Most of their lenses made after a certain date are moving toward the non-matte finish.

dragonone
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
thought it was too good to be true.... for everyone else