PDA

View Full Version : ticket for too big of exhaust can??

Talon23
01-04-2011, 12:57 AM
So today i get pulled over..i was doing 60 in a 60 because i saw the cop car behind me. i pull over. He walks up to my window and says "i pulled you over for you exhaust" so i said oh okay whats wrong with it? he says "your not aloud to have it" so i said why? he says.."your just not". and hands me a 115 dollar ticket for "widening" my exhaust?? this is the kind of bull that makes people like me lose respect for the police. any advice on what i should do?

thanks.

colinxx235
01-04-2011, 12:59 AM
pay ticket, take off your stupid fart can :clap:

Talon23
01-04-2011, 01:00 AM
lol i drive an 06 sti..it doesnt fart..it roars.

Disoblige
01-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Pay the ticket. No way around it. :)

No demerits. Gotta pay to play.

InRich
01-04-2011, 01:09 AM
then again...
I HATE fart cans.... hate em!!!
buuuut....
Look at my BMW... the exhausts I have are pretty friggin wide...
or for that matter, look at the new MDX's. they have HUGE, and widened muffers, but they get no tickets...

Talon23
01-04-2011, 01:09 AM
there are no demerits? cause thats what im worried about. kind of a bullshit ticket tho..

FraserB
01-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by InRich
then again...
I HATE fart cans.... hate em!!!
buuuut....
Look at my BMW... the exhausts I have are pretty friggin wide...
or for that matter, look at the new MDX's. they have HUGE, and widened muffers, but they get no tickets...

Because they come stock from the factory like that. The ticket is for enlarging the exhaust outlet past factory specifications. On some of the models the pipe is x" and the flange around the pipe is x" wider than the pipe for aesthetic reasons.

J-hop
01-04-2011, 01:16 AM
it sucks I know, I believe that people with "fart cans" should be ticketed though as I live by a major road and listening to them rip at 2am isn't fun.

However I think Harley riders with obnoxiously loud exhausts should be cracked down on first. Can't count the number of times i've been on a patio on 17th and had to cover my ears because some guy wants to look cool.

Don't think there is much you can do about your ticket.

Can someone confirm this as well. I was told once that if the inlet of the exhaust = the outlet (in diameter) then you can fight the enlarged exhaust ticket (they could just as easily ticket you for a noise violation though).

Disoblige
01-04-2011, 01:18 AM
^^ You just answered your own question. ;)

Because if the exhaust was as wide as the tip, and it was fairly large, it likely would make quite a bit of noise.

Excessive noise even with exhaust diameter same as factory = ticket.

FraserB
01-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

Can someone confirm this as well. I was told once that if the inlet of the exhaust = the outlet (in diameter) then you can fight the enlarged exhaust ticket (they could just as easily ticket you for a noise violation though).

Factory diameter = Aftermarket = No ticket

Aftermarket diameter > Factory = Ticket

EK 2.0
01-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Fucking Subaru owners....:rolleyes:

First..."allowed" not "aloud"...

And lose respect for the police for doing their job??...Wow...You need an attitude adjustment....How is it a bullsit ticket if you are breaking the law??...And you think that a traffic officer that sits in traffic all day cannot discern the difference between an OEM exhaust and something that we would swap in it's place for "performance"??...

J-hop
01-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Factory diameter = Aftermarket = No ticket

Aftermarket diameter > Factory = Ticket

Thanks!

M.alex
01-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Talon23
lol i drive an 06 sti..it doesnt fart..it roars.

no it doesn't :rofl:

sr20s14zenki
01-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Law is subjective, fight it. There are various threads on this. Its all how you interpret the law. The way i read it, it says you aren't allowed to WIDEN the factory exhaust, well, to me that means physically stretching it with an end flare or something. It says NOTHING about not being allowed to bolt on an aftermarket exhaust system. I have fought and won 3 of these or so on that premise. Loser cop with nothing better to do.

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.
(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.
(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

Shall not make excessive noise huh, who decides that, the officer? Fuck off. Its an antiquated law that needs updating. Ive said it before and ill say it again, the officer should be equipped with a db meter, and should measure your car at a certain distance with your car revved at a certain rpm. There should be a law, example, the states i believe has 95 db at 3 feet at 3000 rpm, im not 100% on that, but its something like that.

Basically the way the law puts it, you could have the quietest car in the world, but they can still ticket you because your "outlet" is too wide. Give me a break.

You wanna ticket me for speeding? FINE, you have a device that tells you i was doing it, its not the cop deciding that you are. Just an example. It should not be up to them to decide.

peteski
01-04-2011, 07:23 AM

However I think Harley riders with obnoxiously loud exhausts should be cracked down on first. Can't count the number of times i've been on a patio on 17th and had to cover my ears because some guy wants to look cool.

Oh boo hoo you lost 5 seconds of your precious patio conversation... Ever heard of live and let live? 2AM, yes I would be pissed off too. Then again if you live near a busy road you had to have some idea what you were getting into. But on a sunny Sunday afternoon on 17th? Please... Plus it's always the same Harley and diesel haters that seemingly have no problem with Ferraris and the likes of which that are equally loud...

BrknFngrs
01-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Law is subjective, fight it. There are various threads on this. Its all how you interpret the law. The way i read it, it says you aren't allowed to WIDEN the factory exhaust, well, to me that means physically stretching it with an end flare or something. It says NOTHING about not being allowed to bolt on an aftermarket exhaust system. I have fought and won 3 of these or so on that premise. Loser cop with nothing better to do.

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.
(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.
(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

:werd: Misinterpreting the laws this regularly is a bit ridiculous on the cops part. It's at the point that the police need to be issued a warning from the courts that they are misapplying the law and they need to be reprimanded for wasting everyone, including the courts, time.

Sentry
01-04-2011, 08:50 AM
snip
Holy fuck this never dawned on me. You're my new best bud on beyond.

94boosted
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Shall not make excessive noise huh, who decides that, the officer? Fuck off. Its an antiquated law that needs updating. Ive said it before and ill say it again, the officer should be equipped with a db meter, and should measure your car at a certain distance with your car revved at a certain rpm. There should be a law, example, the states i believe has 95 db at 3 feet at 3000 rpm, im not 100% on that, but its something like that.

Basically the way the law puts it, you could have the quietest car in the world, but they can still ticket you because your "outlet" is too wide. Give me a break.

You wanna ticket me for speeding? FINE, you have a device that tells you i was doing it, its not the cop deciding that you are. Just an example. It should not be up to them to decide.

:werd: As long as it's not obnoxiously loud then it's just the cop being a prick with nothing better to do.

CapnCrunch
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
pay ticket, take off your stupid fart can :clap:

:rofl:

+1111111111111111111

CMW403
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

And lose respect for the police for doing their job??...Wow...You need an attitude adjustment....How is it a bullsit ticket if you are breaking the law??...And you think that a traffic officer that sits in traffic all day cannot discern the difference between an OEM exhaust and something that we would swap in it's place for "performance"??...

You correct OP's spelling, then continue on to mash a paragraph together with "??......".

:rolleyes:

OP, listen to this guy. Try and ignore beyonds team of irrelevance. You make a thread inquiring about the enlarged exhaust law and the first ten posts tell you how much of a fucking idiot you are for spelling, owning a subaru, modifying your subaru, hell even making the thread.

:facepalm:

Xtrema
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Usually, it's just an excuse to stop you to look for something else. Since he found nothing, he just stick you with a ticket.

Loud exhaust draws attentions and you got what you asked for.

AaronK
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

OP, listen to this guy. Try and ignore beyonds team of irrelevance. You make a thread inquiring about the enlarged exhaust law and the first ten posts tell you how much of a fucking idiot you are for spelling, owning a subaru, modifying your subaru, hell even making the thread.

:facepalm:

+1

Who cares what you drive, fight it if you want to

J-hop
01-04-2011, 12:42 PM

as far as I know there is a decibel threshold, they stated it in an article in the herald about a year ago when the cps said they were going to be cracking down on Harley riders.

But to save 115 is it really worth it to try to fight the law?

edit: I was wrong the bylaw has not been passed yet. And this bylaw specifically targets bikes, it will be modeled after an edmonton bylaw that says any bike producing 92+ dB at idle or 96+ dB while driving will be ticketed $250.

which is perfectly fair, especially in packed public places (like 17th as I mentioned), those dB levels are pretty high

sr20s14zenki
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM

as far as I know there is a decibel threshold, they stated it in an article in the herald about a year ago when the cps said they were going to be cracking down on Harley riders.

But to save 115 is it really worth it to try to fight the law?

edit: I was wrong the bylaw has not been passed yet. And this bylaw specifically targets bikes, it will be modeled after an edmonton bylaw that says any bike producing 92+ dB at idle or 96+ dB while driving will be ticketed $250.

which is perfectly fair, especially in packed public places (like 17th as I mentioned), those dB levels are pretty high

Mail the ticket with a not guilty plea. There is a good chance it wont even make it to court. If it does however, just go in and explain it to the judge. Tell them your origional system rusted out and you replaced it with an alternative exhaust, because factory was too expensive.I dunno, make up your own story, thats what i personally would say. I had two of my 3 tickets quashed before it made it to court, and the 3rd one the cop took off because i was there to fight 3 other tickets and that was part of his deal to me.

EK 2.0
01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
This is what it all boils down to. Whether it all begins with stereotypes, or not. We in the "import/tuner" scene all run risks when we modify our cars. I cannot speak for the domestic V8 sort of crowd to know if they are "targeted" in any forms.

But if you drive something Japanese and start modding it it will get seen or heard. Those are the natures of our mods. They entail shiny or colourful wheels, aero that makes you stand out from the crowd, and exhausts that let's face it boosted or N/A make our little 4 cylinders quite noisy.

If you do not want to get a "bullshit" ticket, then do not break the law...And no, it doesn't matter what your "interpretation" of it is. Yeah you can skate by, and you might get let off of an offense if you fight it. But think about it. You spent "x" number of dollars on the mod, then you get the ticket; if you pay the ticket that mod just cost you that much more. If you fight the ticket, and the it gets thrown out. What was your time worth that day for taking it off of work/school and then waiting to be heard.

I am just tired of reading threads where someone posts up a hate on for CPS for doing their jobs. I have yet to ever receive a ticket on my highly visually modded Civic for doing "nothing" and just "driving the speed limit". And that is just not for my Civic...that goes for any of the past projects I have ever had or built. I was breaking the law somehow or someway and was given the exhaust ticket in place or a higher offense that would have cost me more. And in a lot of cases been just very polite and respectful to the officer and they told me what theycould have got me on. Asked me to smarten up and sent me on my way.

I am not saying that there are not bad officers out there who might have been having a bad day, or just are out to abuse the power they hold because of their badge. What i am saying is I don't think the OP's ever post the full stories as to why they got stopped and try to make themselves look like angels and were getting written up for "bullshit" offenses.

sr20s14zenki
01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
This is what it all boils down to. Whether it all begins with stereotypes, or not. We in the "import/tuner" scene all run risks when we modify our cars. I cannot speak for the domestic V8 sort of crowd to know if they are "targeted" in any forms.

But if you drive something Japanese and start modding it it will get seen or heard. Those are the natures of our mods. They entail shiny or colourful wheels, aero that makes you stand out from the crowd, and exhausts that let's face it boosted or N/A make our little 4 cylinders quite noisy.

If you do not want to get a "bullshit" ticket, then do not break the law...And no, it doesn't matter what your "interpretation" of it is. Yeah you can skate by, and you might get let off of an offense if you fight it. But think about it. You spent "x" number of dollars on the mod, then you get the ticket; if you pay the ticket that mod just cost you that much more. If you fight the ticket, and the it gets thrown out. What was your time worth that day for taking it off of work/school and then waiting to be heard.

I am just tired of reading threads where someone posts up a hate on for CPS for doing their jobs. I have yet to ever receive a ticket on my highly visually modded Civic for doing "nothing" and just "driving the speed limit". And that is just not for my Civic...that goes for any of the past projects I have ever had or built. I was breaking the law somehow or someway and was given the exhaust ticket in place or a higher offense that would have cost me more. And in a lot of cases been just very polite and respectful to the officer and they told me what theycould have got me on. Asked me to smarten up and sent me on my way.

I am not saying that there are not bad officers out there who might have been having a bad day, or just are out to abuse the power they hold because of their badge. What i am saying is I don't think the OP's ever post the full stories as to why they got stopped and try to make themselves look like angels and were getting written up for "bullshit" offenses.

I agree with what you are saying, and i do realize the cps for the most part are doing a great job. Ive had numerous speeding tickets, and accept that no problem, you caught me, your radar says i was doing the speed, heres some money for my infraction, NO PROBLEM. I would just like to see the exhaust law more cut and dry. The tint law is cut and dry....you arent allowed tint on the front windows, it says it in the law, FAIR ENOUGH, if you have tint, you are risking a ticket, its the law. The exhaust law is sooooo grey, who knows what the hell it means. If tomoro a law was passed, that said "you are only allowed 95db" then i would get a db meter, do the tests, and if it was too loud, put in a resonator or an extra muffer, NO PROBLEM. The law is antiquated, and it needs to be looked at, but its not a priority. Fair enough, but if the law isnt a priority to make cut and dry, then it shouldnt be a priority to write the tickets.

EK 2.0
01-04-2011, 01:38 PM

NO PROBLEM. The law is antiquated, and it needs to be looked at, but its not a priority. Fair enough, but if the law isnt a priority to make cut and dry, then it shouldnt be a priority to write the tickets.

But it isn't a priority to write the tickets. I can't even count the number of times I have accelerated away from a light (not WOT mind you) with CPS in ear shot, behind me, next to me and never been pulled over. Or the numerous times I have cruised passed an officer just out driving and never been stopped.

sr20s14zenki
01-04-2011, 04:04 PM

But it isn't a priority to write the tickets. I can't even count the number of times I have accelerated away from a light (not WOT mind you) with CPS in ear shot, behind me, next to me and never been pulled over. Or the numerous times I have cruised passed an officer just out driving and never been stopped. Oh same here. It's been many a year since I've had one. My 240 is actually quite loud but I really only drive it to and from
The track cuz I can't afford a trailer yet haha. I'm just saying fair is fair. If you want to stop people from having aftermarket exhausts then make the law that way. Don't beat around the bush and make laws be at the discression of the officer. Every other TSA law seems fairly straight forward but this one is silly. Its very simple to make the law more cut and dry so that even IF the cop has a bad day he can't write a bs ticket because the db meter would be held as a metric in much the same way as a radar gun. The muffler law is like an officer writing an "estimated" speeding ticket. Those get thrown out SO much. I think CPS is just fine but I don't like things bein "at the officers discretion"

:thumbsup:

J-hop
01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
I agree with ek 100%, everyone knows if you install a loud exhaust you run the risk of getting a ticket. I don't think they need to necessarily set a limit, although it would be nice for those here that apparently need things spelled out for them.

its like the preschool kid that is told not to put the play-doh in their mouth, but the kid figures licking the play-doh is a grey area so its ok, and then cries when he gets in trouble..

Lessons like the above taught to us in pre-school, were meant to prepare us for the real world where everything isn't always cut and dry and sometimes you have to use common sense to fill in the gaps....

Datsun-Fever
01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Why is it that my dick buttkus friends who drive lifted turbo diesels with 5" shit spewing exhausts never get tickets? The redneck monster trucks i see ripping around the city pose more of a danger (in my opinion) than a lowered civic with a fartcan does.

autosm
01-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever
Why is it that my dick buttkus friends who drive lifted turbo diesels with 5" shit spewing exhausts never get tickets? The redneck monster trucks i see ripping around the city pose more of a danger (in my opinion) than a lowered civic with a fartcan does.

I often wonder the same thing. Maybe they get the mud flap tickets?

autosm
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Usually, it's just an excuse to stop you to look for something else. Since he found nothing, he just stick you with a ticket.

Loud exhaust draws attentions and you got what you asked for.

This :werd:

Redlyne_mr2
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
It's all about the outlet, if the inlet matches the outlet you're good to fight it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Whoa. Heavy on the haterade.

He posted the same thing over on the Subaru forums, and yeah, his attitude isn't fantastic. He should definitely pay the ticket, unless he swaps back to stock. It's breaking the law, regardless if you agree with it or not.

But honestly, some officer's CAN'T tell the difference. There are a few stories floating around about stock exhausts being ticketed. There's also a story of a JDM subaru that came from the factory with a branded exhaust.. But it's still "OEM" as it came from the factory like that.

Most of the time, officers will only hand this ticket out when they have you pulled over anyways, or if you're driving like an ass. However, sometimes, they just pull you over, and frankly, STi's tend to stick out in a crowd.

max_boost
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Kids these days. Got to pay to play man. I would ticket to you too.

YES THE POLICE IS OUT TO GET YOU AHHHHH!!!!!!

THEMONK
01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Heaven forbid people just run a classy exhaust with a nice throaty sound and ditch those stupid jr high school exhausts. Pay it and move on.

peteski
01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever

I been pulled over for speeding numerous times and never been questioned or hassled about the 5" straight pipe with a 6" tip. Maybe it's cuz us asshole rednecks aren't so much on the cops radar as drug dealers, gang members, and the likes of which. Not to say that every lifted truck guy out there is a law abiding citizen, or that every rice burner has a criminal behind the wheel, but let's call a spade a spade here, you're more likely to find drugs, guns and whatever else in a fart canned civic than a straight piped Cummins. And the cops know that.

Aleks
01-04-2011, 07:50 PM

But even with speeding you can go in and talk your way down on a ticket so any time you go in and fight a ticket you stand a chance of winning even if you're 100% in the wrong :dunno:

sr20s14zenki
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

But even with speeding you can go in and talk your way down on a ticket so any time you go in and fight a ticket you stand a chance of winning even if you're 100% in the wrong :dunno:

Not if the cop proves without a reasonable doubt that you were in the wrong. If he testifys and shows his radar reading, and has all the appropriate paperwork in order, you are pretty much fucked. You can have it reduced if you can prove you cant pay it, ie losing a job or some shit, but thats about it.

And J-Hop, a big :facepalm: to you. Believe what you want, but that is the stupidest analogy for that subject. WHY cant i have an aftermarket exhaust if its tasteful and not loud? Basically the way the law spells it out, you cant have anything but stock, so if you cant get a stock part, and the aftermarket part happens to be wider than stock, youre FUCKED and that doesnt sit well with me. I realize that most people get an aftermarket exhaust for performance, and still, it should be allowed. what if my particular vehicle has a severly restrictive exhaust and widening it increases flow and gives me more MPG, not alowed? Bullshit. Yes, the cops give out the tickets MOSTLY to the guys with shitty sounding straight piped cars, but there are a few of us that get tickets even tho ours are quiet, just because some cop has a headache and takes it out on the first person he can. Those are the people im fighting for.

Im done with all of you naysayers, ive said my peace.

Cody D
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by peteski
Oh boo hoo you lost 5 seconds of your precious patio conversation... Ever heard of live and let live? 2AM, yes I would be pissed off too. Then again if you live near a busy road you had to have some idea what you were getting into. But on a sunny Sunday afternoon on 17th? Please... Plus it's always the same Harley and diesel haters that seemingly have no problem with Ferraris and the likes of which that are equally loud...

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4061/southparkx3905098203.jpg (http://img839.imageshack.us/i/southparkx3905098203.jpg/)

Originally posted by THEMONK
Heaven forbid people just run a classy exhaust with a nice throaty sound and ditch those stupid jr high school exhausts. Pay it and move on.

Some cars will never sound good, this is a problem with most I4's. You can't buy a "classy" exhaust for every car.

snoop101
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
My biggest issue with this is the fact that the CPS waste time going after such a small silly thing, which I assume they wanted to get something bigger. Sure I cant stand the lawnmower rice machines, but come on seriously there is a lot better things they can be doing. I understand if the CPS does a lot of for Calgary and they got more officers then ever before, but the fact is that their short on officers, Their priorities are scewed and my biggest issue is that we have to be the only city in Canada that doesn't believe in road blocks. I been here for over 5 years and never seen a road blocks. I talk to others and they never seen one either. I came from Kelowna and its a 25% smaller then Calgary and you go through a road block once a week.

peteski
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4061/southparkx3905098203.jpg (http://img839.imageshack.us/i/southparkx3905098203.jpg/)

Some cars will never sound good, this is a problem with most I4's. You can't buy a "classy" exhaust for every car.

The only problem I see is judgmental people such as yourself. What sounds good is all relative, to each their own. You can't change other people's tastes. Learn to accept that the world is a diverse place full of things you may not like. Might make it easier for you.

BrknFngrs
01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
The sound of his exhaust is completely irrelevant because the ticket that he received wasn't related to the sound of the exhaust at all. He got a ticket strictly for the exhaust outlet of his system being larger than what the car came with from the factory which is ridiculous.

For all we know, he has something like a Borla Hush system and it's not in any way "loud". Was he driving like a tool? Maybe, who knows. But if that's the case I'd rather see the cop hand out a proper moving violation instead of tickets on this bogus interpretation.

EK 2.0
01-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Whoa. Heavy on the haterade.

However, sometimes, they just pull you over, and frankly, STi's tend to stick out in a crowd.

Yeah, I won't deny that I am heavy on the haterade.

So now they are just pulling you over because your car sticks out in a crowd??...In 16 years of driving I have never EVER "just been pulled over".

Strange because I never see Lambo's, Porsches, Ferarri's, Aston's pulled over. I mean those to me stick out in a crowd...Not a WRB, SGM, DGM, SWP or whatever colour Impreza with a wing that I mistake for a Kia once a week...

In this case call a spade a spade, he is bitching and whining for breaking the law and that is what I find frustrating. If I get 10 speeding tickets a year it is because I was speeding. Not because my Civic stands out in a crowd.

Always remember there are THREE sides to every tale. Party A's side, party B's side and what actually happened.

94_S14
01-04-2011, 11:12 PM
If your STi has stock exhaust then i would fight the ticket. No sense in paying for a ticket on an oem part.

otherwise, if your really strapped for cash ask for a break at the queens bench. Ususally drops 40% off infractions.

Breaking the law is breaking the law, regardless of how much you may hate it.

Cody D
01-04-2011, 11:15 PM
The only problem I see is judgmental people such as yourself. What sounds good is all relative, to each their own. You can't change other people's tastes. Learn to accept that the world is a diverse place full of things you may not like. Might make it easier for you.

Not judgmental, this is experience talking, a good sounding inline four is pretty much non-existent. Two of my cars are I4's, they will never sound anywhere near as good as a Porsche boxer 6, a well built V8 or a European V10.

revelations
01-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
My biggest issue with this is the fact that the CPS waste time going after such a small silly thing, which I assume they wanted to get something bigger. Sure I cant stand the lawnmower rice machines, but come on seriously there is a lot better things they can be doing. I understand if the CPS does a lot of for Calgary and they got more officers then ever before, but the fact is that their short on officers, Their priorities are scewed and my biggest issue is that we have to be the only city in Canada that doesn't believe in road blocks. I been here for over 5 years and never seen a road blocks. I talk to others and they never seen one either. I came from Kelowna and its a 25% smaller then Calgary and you go through a road block once a week.

Another uninformed citizen.

a) the traffic section has what, 24 members on the road? so its not like they are taking members away from more serious crimes

b) the CPS responds to complaints from CITIZENS around the city. Granny Neldrid sitting on her front porch in the summer keeps calling the CPS wanting something done about the "excessive" noise from cars.

Since there is a law against widened exhausts, this can be enforced.

c) I've lived here 4 years and have gone through 4 road blocks. There are only enough resources for 1 roadblock setup at any given time right now so your chances of seeing one - especially given the giant urban sprawl here - is a lot less.

[Yu]
01-04-2011, 11:25 PM

Not judgmental, this is experience talking, a good sounding inline four is pretty much non-existent. Two of my cars are I4's, they will never sound anywhere near as good as a Porsche boxer 6, a well built V8 or a European V10.

While I agree with you that all the latter examples sound nicer. You did nothing but prove you are some what "arrogant".

He explained that it is preference. Perhaps someone out there prefers the sound of an I4 over a V10.

Just because you say "from experience", it doesn't mean they do indeed sound better. How you came to this conclusion is because the general population shares the same idea with you.

89s1
01-04-2011, 11:44 PM

I been pulled over for speeding numerous times and never been questioned or hassled about the 5" straight pipe with a 6" tip. Maybe it's cuz us asshole rednecks aren't so much on the cops radar as drug dealers, gang members, and the likes of which. Not to say that every lifted truck guy out there is a law abiding citizen, or that every rice burner has a criminal behind the wheel, but let's call a spade a spade here, you're more likely to find drugs, guns and whatever else in a fart canned civic than a straight piped Cummins. And the cops know that.

Your logic = fucking retarded.

sr20s14zenki
01-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by 94_S14
If your STi has stock exhaust then i would fight the ticket. No sense in paying for a ticket on an oem part.

otherwise, if your really strapped for cash ask for a break at the queens bench. Ususally drops 40% off infractions.

Breaking the law is breaking the law, regardless of how much you may hate it.

Ok, heres my problem. Nobody seems to get it. What law is being broken? Where in the law does it say you cant bolt on a system. Can somebody show me? The law says you cant widen your exhaust, it says NOTHING about bolting on an aftermarket system. A law as grey as that, isnt a law IMO.

revelations
01-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Ok, heres my problem. Nobody seems to get it. What law is being broken? Where in the law does it say you cant bolt on a system. Can somebody show me? The law says you cant widen your exhaust, it says NOTHING about bolting on an aftermarket system. A law as grey as that, isnt a law IMO.

Cops make mistakes too - except for Traffic cops, who specialize in knowing every single stupid section of federal, provincial and local laws which apply to motor vehicles. :banghead:

While the PROVINCIAL law states that you cannot widen your tip - and nothing about bolting on a new exhaust system - the LOCAL noise bylaws still apply as well as FEDERAL vehicle laws (eg. how fast your blinker should flash, how many centimeters apart your headlights should be).

So lots of room for BS tickets there.... good for you on fighting those.

I also have a fart can on my Civic (came with). It has a small OEM size orifice which means it doesent sound like a pissed off bumblebee.

kevie88
01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Is the muffler one of those jobs that has a small muffler outlet and then a big tip or is it a big muffler/big tip? The reason I ask is that the small outlet/big tip ones can and have gotten off this charge in court easily in the past.

I had a small outlet/big tip muffler on my Prelude and went to the JP before the court date and had it thrown out due to the fact that the muffler outlet itself was not larger than the inlet, just the tip.

403Gemini
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
:rofl: I haven't seen once of these threads since like 2006!!!!

Just a question OP, do you drive a RHD Silver subaru?

luxor
01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Another uninformed citizen.

a) the traffic section has what, 24 members on the road? so its not like they are taking members away from more serious crimes

What does the amount of traffic cops have to do with beat cops issuing bullshit traffic violations? You really think the 24 cops can issue the thousands of traffic ticket in a month? Stop being silly man. Besides lidar traps, almost all those other tickets are issues by cops of the non-traffic division. I can say from experience that 3/4 of my tickets that I've ever gotten were from regular cops. You guessed it, the speeding one was from a traffic cop wearing their red traffic jackets. A non-traffic cop stopping someone for half an hour just to write a stupid ticket is a waste of resource and tax payer money.

rx7_turbo2
01-05-2011, 11:45 AM

The ticket is for enlarging the exhaust outlet past factory specifications.

Epic fail!

Law doesn't mention anything about factory specifications

Every time one of these threads comes up someone post bullshit like that.

Law says you can't enlarge the tip. It doesn't get into specifics, it's incredibly vague, because of that if you fight it you'll win 9 times out of 10. Until they change the wording of the law anyways.

I installed an aftermarket exhaust system I never enlarged the tip or modified it, simply took it out of the box and bolted it on the car. Until the wording of the law is changed I will continue to fight those tickets with success.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
:rofl: I haven't seen once of these threads since like 2006!!!!

Just a question OP, do you drive a RHD Silver subaru?

He stated he drove an 06 STi at the beginning... I'm assuming it's not RHD, but could be silver..?

THEMONK
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM

You're correct, you can't buy a classy exhaust for every car, but you can buy an exhaust system which will give you a great sound and a bit more performance without having to cap it off with the fart can. I bet you if he had on a nice chrome tip instead of the bazooka sticking out of the ass end, five oh would've just kept on his merry way.

I'm taking a guess here but the law says you can't widen your FACTORY EXHAUST TIP, he didn't, he replaced it with an aftermarket one, simple to me.

403Gemini
01-05-2011, 03:52 PM

He stated he drove an 06 STi at the beginning... I'm assuming it's not RHD, but could be silver..?

Listen here captain obvious, you leave your insults about my illiteracy out of this!!!! ;)

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Listen here captain obvious, you leave your insults about my illiteracy out of this!!!! ;)

:love:

texasnick
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM

I think I might know who you're talking about....do you park your subaru in Shawnessy from time to time?

Silver RHD WRX w/ a misfire and fujitsubo 3"? Has gold speedline wheels on it?

gretz
01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by texasnick

Silver RHD WRX w/ a misfire

Don't they all sound like that? lol ;)

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by texasnick

I think I might know who you're talking about....do you park your subaru in Shawnessy from time to time?

Silver RHD WRX w/ a misfire and fujitsubo 3"? Has gold speedline wheels on it?

Are you talking about marc? Goddamn his car is loud.

Originally posted by gretz

Don't they all sound like that? lol ;)

Almost any w/ BOV. Mine doesn't.

whiskas
01-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Kill yourself.

TIA

TT-fast
01-05-2011, 05:03 PM
everyone on here who says pay the ticket is a pencil pushing law abiding subordinate who is to scared to challenge the law, esspecially when the law is biast and misintepreted to often.

obviously they need to revise this rule because it does not apply to all vehicles, mostly just the officers discretion.

so do not pay the ticket, if you have time go to the courts and fight it. i am sure you will win its just another cash grab.

on 2 occasions i got exhaust tickets, fought and won both. on the first occssion i asked a senior(like 45 year old) officer what he thought about the ticket and he ranted on for 5 minutes about "stupid fucking rookie cops not knowing what the hell they are doing and bothering younger people about stupid things like this" he told me fight it and you will win.\

and i did...

end of story.............

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Omg one time, I spoke with this cop, who's totally been on the force for years, and he just happened to agree with everything I said, and everything worked out well, and I don't need to prove any of this or use proper grammar. Therefore I am correct.

/thread

So what if he walks in, doesn't get the ticket thrown out, and he has to take a day off work in order to do it, therefore he's losing even more money? Yes, sometimes you should fight tickets, but sometimes you have to really look and see if it's worth it. How much is his time worth?

$172 for an entire day of work? I guess that depends on what he does for a living.

texasnick
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM

Are you talking about marc? Goddamn his car is loud.

haha no...I don't think this guy is on WSC nor Beyond...name is Rees....I think gemeni parks a couple houses down from me on occasion, so I thought he might be talking about this guy who lives down the street. His exhaust is pretty damn loud though...he seems to be quite proud about it and likes to hear it at WOT lol.

rx7_turbo2
01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Omg one time, I spoke with this cop, who's totally been on the force for years, and he just happened to agree with everything I said, and everything worked out well, and I don't need to prove any of this or use proper grammar. Therefore I am correct.

/thread

So what if he walks in, doesn't get the ticket thrown out, and he has to take a day off work in order to do it, therefore he's losing even more money? Yes, sometimes you should fight tickets, but sometimes you have to really look and see if it's worth it. How much is his time worth?

$172 for an entire day of work? I guess that depends on what he does for a living.

I only fight a ticket if I feel I have a fairly decent chance of winning, otherwise it's not worth my time.

In this case with the enlarged exhaust ticket it is worth fighting. I said before you'll win 9 times out of 10. The law is far to vague. The only way you will loose is if you actually did use a pipe expander or equivalent to modify the tip. And the onus is on them to prove you did. If all you did was open a box, pull out the system, and bolt it on your car, and you got a ticket? You'll win 100% of the time.

What I find shocking is that by now the "word" must have gotten around to officers that these tickets are being thrown out on a steady basis and yet they're still handing them out? I've got to think any officer at this point in time that gives one of these tickets out is doing so just to be a dick.

alloroc
01-05-2011, 06:13 PM
It is warm outside coming out of many weeks (almost 2 months) of cold weather.

'Traffic' will be told to get out in full force and issue tickets for anything and everything they think they can get away with.

There are no 'quotas' but a certain amount of revenue is expected to be pulled in every month. They fall behind and it is ticket time!

sr20s14zenki
01-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I only fight a ticket if I feel I have a fairly decent chance of winning, otherwise it's not worth my time.

In this case with the enlarged exhaust ticket it is worth fighting. I said before you'll win 9 times out of 10. The law is far to vague. The only way you will loose is if you actually did use a pipe expander or equivalent to modify the tip. And the onus is on them to prove you did. If all you did was open a box, pull out the system, and bolt it on your car, and you got a ticket? You'll win 100% of the time.

What I find shocking is that by now the "word" must have gotten around to officers that these tickets are being thrown out on a steady basis and yet they're still handing them out? I've got to think any officer at this point in time that gives one of these tickets out is doing so just to be a dick.

They are relying on the fact that 80% of people are too chicken shit to fight the tickets, or the people are ignorant to the law and think they actually broke one.

TT-fast
01-05-2011, 07:13 PM

/thread

first of all screw the grammer im typing with one hand cause the other one is broken, so i really dont give a fuck, seeing that you still understood what i wrote, i dont have to correct my grammer.

second of all i said "if he has time"!!

so i agree with you about the whole loosing money thing that makes sense,

J-hop
01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
its spelled grammar :D :D

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm typing this with one hand right now. No issues. No need to get all angry and start swearing. The internet.. Srs business.

Honestly, it sounds like he's more worried about demerits rather than the actual $, and since it's not a moving violation, he doesn't have to worry. I'd say there's a better chance to have the law changed by emailing or talking to his MLA, rather than going to court and "win. End of story."

I've always gone with the ideology that you should always fight tickets, as it puts strain on the system, and should hopefully cause lawmakers to review the system, and how they ticket/etc. But realistically, it hasn't happened yet, and other than causing 8+ month court delays, it's a day you need to book off from work, get downtown (either by parking, or taking transit, or getting dropped off), and then show up twice (once to set a date, and once for the actual date, if you don't just agree w/ the JP), only to have a small shot at having it thrown out. Since JP's can't throw out tickets anymore, and you still need to present a defence if the officer in question shows up, I highly doubt it's a guaranteed win.

Look at it this way:
OP takes a day off of work, losing out on an 8 hour day.. Let's say he get's paid $15/hour. That's $120 right there. Then he park's downtown, because he doesn't want to bus/train. That's another $20. He get's downtown, stands in like for 45mins, then asks to see the JP. He goes over to the waiting room, where he sits for an hour, only to be called in. He doesn't like any of the available options, so he sets a court date, 8 months down the road.

8 months later, he shows up to court, doing the same thing all over again. Books the day off, except now he's making more/hour, so he's losing more. Pay's the parking all over again, and the officer shows up. OP was sure that the officer wouldn't so hasn't really prepared a defence. OP get's called up, tries to present his case to the judge, which comes out as a "Er... it's a BS law.. My exhaust isn't too loud". To which the judge replies: "Officer.. Is his exhaust outlet larger than the inlet?" and the officer in question replies "Yes". Judge looks at the OP, and asks "Is it larger?". OP replies "Yes, but the law is BS, because the internets told me so." Judge shakes their head in pity, states the OP is breaking the law as written, and if they think it's BS, they should take steps to have it changed. OP has to pay the original $172 (or whatever it is), along with all the other charges.

Great. Thanks for fighting the ticket, and clogging the system. Good to see it all turned out.

Mind you, it could also turn out the other way. OP shows up, ticket is thrown out, day is saved.

M.alex
01-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by THEMONK

You're correct, you can't buy a classy exhaust for every car, but you can buy an exhaust system which will give you a great sound and a bit more performance without having to cap it off with the fart can. I bet you if he had on a nice chrome tip instead of the bazooka sticking out of the ass end, five oh would've just kept on his merry way.

I'm taking a guess here but the law says you can't widen your FACTORY EXHAUST TIP, he didn't, he replaced it with an aftermarket one, simple to me.

How much do you want to bet that if he drove a V8 this wouldn't even be a thread :rofl:

Aleks
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Like I said before any ticket you can go fight. In the past I'd get speeding tickets reduced just by saying "sorry I was speeding". So exhaust ticket I'm sure is even easier to fight. The point is if you don't want exhaust tickets or the hassle of fighting them leave it stock or use something that has a small tip. If you insist on having a big can in the back expect to get these tickets and go fight them until the law is changed.

StreetRacerX
01-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Just pay the ticket, $115 is diddly squat, as LilDrunkenSmurf said it will cost you more to go fight it.

rx7_turbo2
01-05-2011, 08:52 PM
OP replies "Yes, but the law is BS, because the internets told me so." Judge shakes their head in pity, states the OP is breaking the law as written, and if they think it's BS, they should take steps to have it changed. OP has to pay the original $172 (or whatever it is), along with all the other charges.

Well that was all well and good, but the OP DIDN'T break the law as it was written! That's the whole fucking point dude! Good Lord some people are dense!

Yes the law is B.S but that works in the favor of the OP not the crown! Let me be clear as fuck about this one more fucking time! If all you do is pull a catback out of a box and bolt it on, and you get a ticket, if you fight it you will win 100% of the time. It's that simple!

Now if the $$$ numbers don't go round and fighting it will cost you more than you'll save, I can't argue that. The OP has to make the decision.

alloroc
01-05-2011, 09:48 PM
its spelled grammar :D :D

:hijack:

and L-O-S-E

$#%^% when people use 'loose' in lieu of lose it really bothers me. I know I am nowhere near perfect myself but loose? So you loost a hockey game? c'mon follks spell that one correctly.

-end hijack-

fight the ticket.

Freebs
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
I got one of these tickets a few years ago... my Tip was a 3" but yet my dads Z06 has quad 3" tips... This is by far the dumbest law... If the exhaust is making excessive noise thats one thing to be pulled over (even this I disagree with but I do understand), but just a widened outlet... that is BULL! If they are going to pull us over and give us these kinds of tickets, why are lifted trucks not getting pulled over. A bigger exhaust outlet at worst looks ugly.... A lifted truck is a huge safety concern even for cars that aren't lowered... As an example I am currently living in Florida and I was actually able to drive my Evo X under a red necks truck and I am on OEM suspension!!

Any way I am getting off topic, but I sent the ticket to points and it was taken off with no issue.

Disoblige
01-05-2011, 11:32 PM

/thread

:thumbsup:

Disoblige
01-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by TT-fast

first of all screw the grammer im typing with one hand cause the other one is broken, so i really dont give a fuck, seeing that you still understood what i wrote, i dont have to correct my grammer.

Your hand has been broken since August 2009?

psycoticclown
01-05-2011, 11:38 PM
I like how everybody assumes the OP is working. He could be a student or unemployed. Or he could use his vacation or sick days to go to court :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Well that was all well and good, but the OP DIDN'T break the law as it was written! That's the whole fucking point dude! Good Lord some people are dense!

Yes the law is B.S but that works in the favor of the OP not the crown! Let me be clear as fuck about this one more fucking time! If all you do is pull a catback out of a box and bolt it on, and you get a ticket, if you fight it you will win 100% of the time. It's that simple!

Now if the $$$ numbers don't go round and fighting it will cost you more than you'll save, I can't argue that. The OP has to make the decision.

Buddy has an invidia downpipe and exhaust.
Stock STi piping/exhaust/muffler: 2.5"
Invidia piping/muffler: 3"
That's widened is it not?

Originally posted by psycoticclown
I like how everybody assumes the OP is working. He could be a student or unemployed. Or he could use his vacation or sick days to go to court :dunno:

If the OP is a student or unemployed w/ a modded 06 STi, I think he should re-evaluate his priorities a bit.
I made the assumption he's working a wage-style job where days off typically aren't paid, but I could be wrong. But nonetheless, that's days out of your actual vacation time.

TT-fast
01-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Your hand has been broken since August 2009?

i dont know what thats supposed to mean....

Disoblige
01-06-2011, 01:11 AM
lol, don't worry about it. Just jokin around. ;)

TT-fast
01-06-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm typing this with one hand right now. No issues. No need to get all angry and start swearing. The internet.. Srs business.

Honestly, it sounds like he's more worried about demerits rather than the actual $, and since it's not a moving violation, he doesn't have to worry. I'd say there's a better chance to have the law changed by emailing or talking to his MLA, rather than going to court and "win. End of story."

I've always gone with the ideology that you should always fight tickets, as it puts strain on the system, and should hopefully cause lawmakers to review the system, and how they ticket/etc. But realistically, it hasn't happened yet, and other than causing 8+ month court delays, it's a day you need to book off from work, get downtown (either by parking, or taking transit, or getting dropped off), and then show up twice (once to set a date, and once for the actual date, if you don't just agree w/ the JP), only to have a small shot at having it thrown out. Since JP's can't throw out tickets anymore, and you still need to present a defence if the officer in question shows up, I highly doubt it's a guaranteed win.

Look at it this way:
OP takes a day off of work, losing out on an 8 hour day.. Let's say he get's paid $15/hour. That's $120 right there. Then he park's downtown, because he doesn't want to bus/train. That's another $20. He get's downtown, stands in like for 45mins, then asks to see the JP. He goes over to the waiting room, where he sits for an hour, only to be called in. He doesn't like any of the available options, so he sets a court date, 8 months down the road.

8 months later, he shows up to court, doing the same thing all over again. Books the day off, except now he's making more/hour, so he's losing more. Pay's the parking all over again, and the officer shows up. OP was sure that the officer wouldn't so hasn't really prepared a defence. OP get's called up, tries to present his case to the judge, which comes out as a "Er... it's a BS law.. My exhaust isn't too loud". To which the judge replies: "Officer.. Is his exhaust outlet larger than the inlet?" and the officer in question replies "Yes". Judge looks at the OP, and asks "Is it larger?". OP replies "Yes, but the law is BS, because the internets told me so." Judge shakes their head in pity, states the OP is breaking the law as written, and if they think it's BS, they should take steps to have it changed. OP has to pay the original $172 (or whatever it is), along with all the other charges.

Great. Thanks for fighting the ticket, and clogging the system. Good to see it all turned out.

Mind you, it could also turn out the other way. OP shows up, ticket is thrown out, day is saved.

thats a good idea of what could happen and very true as it cost me work hrs also for a couple tickets in the past.

but emailing a mp to resolve the issue about a misenterpreted law is not going to change anything, unles op has some "moving" story that breaks the mp's (and whomever else deals with the changing of provincial or municipal laws) heart...

but the fact that i am trying to get across is that so far people who have fought exhaust tickets have won. end of story with no swearing as it seems to affect your thought process

FraserB
01-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by TT-fast

people who have fought exhaust tickets have one.

Of course they have an exhaust ticket, otherwise the would not be fighting one in the first place. No one is debating that.

TT-fast
01-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Of course they have an exhaust ticket, otherwise the would not be fighting one in the first place. No one is debating that.

lol obviously i ment to say won...

thanks for stating the obvious :clap:

rx7_turbo2
01-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Buddy has an invidia downpipe and exhaust.
Stock STi piping/exhaust/muffler: 2.5"
Invidia piping/muffler: 3"
That's widened is it not?

Yikes you're having a tough time with this lol!

The law doesn't say anything about using the "stock" sizing as a reference. It simply says it can't be widened! As long as the OP hasn't modified or "widened" the aftermarket system then he'll have the ticket thrown out. I didn't think it was this hard to grasp, it's only the 10th time I've explained it lol. Anway's I'm done, if this concept is over the heads of people reading this and they can't follow the bread crumbs then consider the ticket a "stupid tax" and just pay it like a good little sheep!

sr20s14zenki
01-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Yikes you're having a tough time with this lol!

The law doesn't say anything about using the "stock" sizing as a reference. It simply says it can't be widened! As long as the OP hasn't modified or "widened" the aftermarket system then he'll have the ticket thrown out. I didn't think it was this hard to grasp, it's only the 10th time I've explained it lol. Anway's I'm done, if this concept is over the heads of people reading this and they can't follow the bread crumbs then consider the ticket a "stupid tax" and just pay it like a good little sheep!

QFT!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :closed:

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Except that it's all up to the officers on how they interpret the law. "Widened exhaust" could just mean "Larger outlet than inlet" and still be correct in their eyes. Laws can be interpreted many ways, so you can't just say "That's wrong, your dumb, pay the stupid tax"

The way you interpreted it, yes, but looking at it from an officers point of view, he may not want to look at it that way if you're pissing him off.

rx7_turbo2
01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Except that it's all up to the officers on how they interpret the law. "Widened exhaust" could just mean "Larger outlet than inlet" and still be correct in their eyes. Laws can be interpreted many ways, so you can't just say "That's wrong, your dumb, pay the stupid tax"

The way you interpreted it, yes, but looking at it from an officers point of view, he may not want to look at it that way if you're pissing him off.

Yes you are right it is up to the officer to interpret the law. But that interpretation itself is NOT law, by any stretch of the imagination. An officer can interpret the law incorrectly, and if he/she does then the ticket they wrote will be thrown the fuck out!

If an officer looks at your exhuast and determines that It has an outlet larger than what came on the car in stock trim, and writes a ticket based on that. Then that officer has interpreted the law incorrectly! Because the actual law states NOTHING about using "stock trim" as a reference for the size. Because of this (like I have to say it again) The ticket will be thrown out. It's that simple.

psycoticclown
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Also, I find it pretty farfetched for an officer to know the exact size of every car's stock exhaust system.