PDA

View Full Version : How to go about a traffic ticket

asia9898
01-04-2011, 01:58 PM

speedog
01-04-2011, 02:10 PM
So being an "honest mistake", did your vehicle move before the pedestrian was completely across the street/road? It's maybe kind of critical that you give up some details on this incident if looking for some input.

Kloubek
01-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't say it is critical... he's asking details on how to fight the ticket... not what to say or what defense to use.

IMO, this ticket is sometimes one of the most BS tickets to give. If a pedestrian crosses a 4-lane road and he is well into the opposing lanes (effectively 2 lanes or more and a meridian away) I see no reason why one cannot turn at that point. Not saying the OP's situation was anywhere close to this... just presenting a scenario where I think you should be able to turn but could yield you a ticket.

asia9898
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM

blueToy
01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by asia9898
Unfortunately, it wasn't untill i went past the car stopped for the pedestrian that I noticed the pedestrian in the median. It was dark and it didn't help when the pedestrian was wearing black and as tall as the car itself. When I was approaching the car, it appeared it was making a left turn cause his brake lights weren't on. That is why I continued and the next thing I knew I was pulled over.

ALWAYS PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION . A little girl got killed by some douchbag in a Bimmer who did the exact thing you did a few years back . Fortunately , some observant cop caught you assuming the wrong thing . You should feel lucky the pedestrian was wiser then you and you didn't kill someone .

Pay what you owe and let it be a lesson to you .

blueToy
01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I wouldn't say it is critical... he's asking details on how to fight the ticket... not what to say or what defense to use.

IMO, this ticket is sometimes one of the most BS tickets to give. If a pedestrian crosses a 4-lane road and he is well into the opposing lanes (effectively 2 lanes or more and a meridian away) I see no reason why one cannot turn at that point. Not saying the OP's situation was anywhere close to this... just presenting a scenario where I think you should be able to turn but could yield you a ticket.

The problem is that some folks have a real short attention span . They may stop for a pedestrian , but as soon as they see movement , they go .
I was stopped at a red light two months ago , late at night . Some dude pulls up beside me , and we wait for green . I let off the brakes and creeped forward about six inches , hoping to ' Trip ' the light , and buddy beside me just drove right thru the red . He lucked out just missing a small minivan going by , or it would of been real ugly for everyone involved .

As we all should know , pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks . Holding back all traffic for a few mere SECONDS is nothing if it means saving your or someone you love's life .

da9integ
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I had the exam same ticket. I used nadeau and associates to fight it. Charged me $40 and got it reduced to a "disobey sign" with $89 fine and no demerits. I would go and see them and find out what they could pssoibly do for you considering it's free consultations. Btw I heard you have to get demerits now regardless due to a new law a couple years back but I'm not positive

FraserB
01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
You are going to get demerits no matter what. I would also bet that the crown will not reduce it since you didnt even bother to stop, the cop will also most likely show up for this since it is such a bit deal.

Man up and pay the fine and deal with the demerits, it will be a valuable lesson as to why you need to pay attention when in control of thousands of pounds of steel.

Feruk
01-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Ok wait, was the pedestrian even walking TOWARDS where you were gonna cross through the crosswalk or was he walking away from it? I think this is a mixture of your lack of attention paying and the car next to you not showing you what you'd expect to see in the situation of a pedestrian crossing the crosswalk (his break lights on).

Go talk to the crown and tell your story. I'd say if you're lucky he'll cut the demerits in half and lower your fine by a couple hundred. If you don't like the deal, it's not like you have to take it. I wouldn't go through any agency; it'd likely cost you more then what they can reduce it to.

asia9898
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Definitely learned my lesson and very glad no one got hurt. Thanks for the input guys.

g-m
01-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by blueToy

ALWAYS PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION . A little girl got killed by some douchbag in a Bimmer who did the exact thing you did a few years back . Fortunately , some observant cop caught you assuming the wrong thing . You should feel lucky the pedestrian was wiser then you and you didn't kill someone .

Pay what you owe and let it be a lesson to you . what the hell? The same girl whos mother didn't look both ways before crossing the street? We can't be talking about the same incident because that wasn't the driver's fault.

Pedestrians should be the ones that 'ALWAYS PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION'. They're the ones that lose 100% of the collisions.

Kennyredline
01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Ok, people, seriously, I know this is totally unrelated, but for fuck's sake...it's not a MERIDIAN....it is a MEDIAN....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_%28geography%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_%28disambiguation%29

Kloubek, you're right, if the peddie is well away from me while I'm trying to turn, I should be able to turn with out having to wait the rest of the day.

Kloubek
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

Ok, people, seriously, I know this is totally unrelated, but for fuck's sake...it's not a MERIDIAN....it is a MEDIAN....

hahaa... simmer down my friend, simmer down....

Should start you on an anti-anxiety regimenT. ;)