PDA

View Full Version : seafoam ok on car leaking oil?

slinkie
01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
leaks like a quarter size mark over 4 days, 171xxxkm, 1990, does not burn oil and seems to run great. yes? no?

-i know old engines leak a bit usually

-can I seafoam in the garage under my building?

n0xid
01-04-2011, 11:59 PM
If just running it through the engine (not in oil) it should be fine. As far as in a garage- go look at a youtube video and make your decision aha.

LadyLuck
01-05-2011, 12:51 AM
watched a friend seafoam his car once, not only did it almost completely die on him but the smoke covered the entire neighborhood.

stay away from that stuff...

CapnCrunch
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
That shit does nothing other than plug up O2 sensors and make a bunch of smoke.

You could save yourself the money by just taking a runny shit down your intake imo.

nobb
01-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
watched a friend seafoam his car once, not only did it almost completely die on him but the smoke covered the entire neighborhood.

stay away from that stuff...

The engine is suppose to stall out when you put Seafoam down the Vacuum booster line. That's the proper way to do it.

StreetRacerX
01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
When it starts to die you have to give it enough gas to keep running.

slinkie
01-06-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm gonna go through with it, its a $1k car so may as well go for it. I'm just gonna put it in gas and vac and like 1/6 can into the oil, since I am changing oil and plugs directly after.

I will post up if it aggravates the leak .

And yeah not gonna do it under my building lol :nut: forgot how much smoke it can make

JZS_147
01-06-2011, 12:27 AM
lol, mechanic in a can.

seafoam is useless.

autosm
01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Seafoam will do more harm than good I would never do it.

Spend you money on a good injector cleaner.

Do that on a more modern engine and you are asking for trouble.

old&slow
01-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Coincidence? You decide. Guys on motor cycle forums swear by this stuff. So I took a chance. Put some in the crankcase just before oil change. Ran it for a few miles and removed oil.
A month later my 4th gear was gone and tranny broke! (Oil is shared for tranny and motor in 1500 kawi).
Left me and my wife stranded 800kms from home.
I will not use it again.

Tik-Tok
01-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

And yeah not gonna do it under my building lol :nut: forgot how much smoke it can make

Lol, I was gonna say. It would be an epic smoke show however.

Originally posted by old&slow
(Oil is shared for tranny and motor in 1500 kawi).

:facepalm: Then that was your problem, normal Seafoam is NOT for transmissions, they have seperate seafoam for that, lol, and if it's shared, I definitely wouldn't go near the stuff.

I've used it in the past for carburated engines, and worked great, I also used it in a few early 90's fuel injected, I would however be hesitant to use it on a newer vehicle with the amount of sensors there are nowadays (and the cost of replacement)

StreetRacerX
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
The general rule of thumb that all the folk who swear by it say, if it runs fine don't bother with it, if it runs like shit give it a shot.

I've used it in my cars crankcase, fuel, and slurped the stuff in through a vac line to the intake manifold and it hasn't anything except make a smoke show.

r3ccOs
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
not useless on high-mileage engines
Its not snakes oil, its just a petrolium based solvent, its principly simple.

If you are running it through your intake, it won't destroy your valve seals, and it will clean your intake & valves

It won't affect your CAT or O2 sensors and I think its much more effective than fuel treatments along...

(I also use a 1/3 can in my tank as a fuel treatment for the lines)

I had a pretty bad ticking noise when cold, due to my hydrolic lifters which are known issues with Suzuki's... recommendation? either run ATF which is a bit dangerous, or pour a 1/2 container of seafoam in the crankcase...

well 500 k later, the ticking is noise has disappeared, did an oil change and they engine is idling smoothly and feels like its performing more optimal than before.

The problem IS, if you have bad valve seals, it could harm them and could exacerbate the issue if you are already burning oil.

slinkie
01-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Right after my last post I took the car onto the street and threw some in the intake (bb vac hose) and gas, left it for 20 mins then bagged on it till most of the smoke was gone.

made even more smoke than I expected, all my neighbours probably hate me now. (for those familiar with van i did it right on pacific & richard so there are a lot of peds)

When i am back in town I will do another 1/3 in the c.case and change the oil and plugs, I didn't notice any improvement from the first treatment though.