PDA

View Full Version : help with used car purchase @ Sunridge Nissan

r0g3r
01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Hey so I bought a used sentra from sunridge nissan and I'm having some issues.

I'm hearing like chirping/squeaking noise when driving and I told the salesman about it and all he would say is "take it to the service center".

It's still under manufacture warranty and so I contacted the service center and booked an appointment; they said to check the problem they will have to charge me if it's not a "warranty covered problem".

I've only had this car for one day (I picked it up yesterday and told the salesman yesterday).

Is there a certain amount of guarantee that dealerships are responsible for? I know it's a used vehicle and it's got warranty from manufacture but I mean I just got it yesterday...they should definitely cover it for me right? If the car has non-covered warranty issue, it's had it before i've gotten it so it's out of my control.

Please provide your insight. And please no flaming. Thanks.

FraserB
01-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Exactly what they said, if they look at it and it is a warranty issue they will not charge you. If they look and see its not a warranty issue, they charge you the diagnosis fee.

If it was present on the test drive, why didn't you get it taken care of before signing the papers?

speedog
01-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I suppose it depends on what kind of a sales agreement you had with that Nissan dealer. The last used vehicle we bought from GSL Chevrolet had their GM Certified warranty and within two days we had some issues with the driver's side memory seat - all of which were fixed by GM. Even got a very nice loaner vehicle (free) out of the deal. But if it's like FraserB alluded to, then you could very well be on the hook for them even investigating a non-warranty issue.

r0g3r
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I did and all he said is I have to take it to service center. His excuse is "we've already lowered the price for you"

i haggled the price from their asking price but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any service or guarantee.

dj_rice
01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I believe all cars come with a 3000KM or 30 day warranty from the dealer when its used?

r0g3r
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I believe all cars come with a 3000KM or 30 day warranty from the dealer when its used?

is there any law about this or anything I can hold them to it? The service people keep telling me to ask the salesman but the salesman is a bitch who doesn't want to do anything.

So i don't really know what to do. :banghead:

speedog
01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I believe all cars come with a 3000KM or 30 day warranty from the dealer when its used? Dunno - no mention of any 3000km/30 day warranty on this GOA web page (http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2818.htm).

darthVWader
01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Turn up your radio

FraserB
01-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Did you mention the noise before or after you signed the final papers?

If it was before and no one did anything and you still bought it, this is your own fault. For buying the car when it had problems and not getting them fixed as a condition of sale.

If it manifested after you took it off the lot, you are only going to be able to get help by talking to the service department after they look at it and looking at your warranty to see what is covered.

vtec4life
01-05-2011, 11:44 PM
dude, you had the car for a day. go back to the salesman and tell him you are a member of beyond. if he knows anything it will get fixed for free. JK. besides, there is definitely an onus on the business to sell you a vehicle in top running shape. its a nissan dealership, you bought a nissan. they must have done a mechanical fitness assesment etc. which you should have a copy of. this shouldnt even be an issue!!!

zipdoa
01-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by vtec4life
dude, you had the car for a day. go back to the salesman and tell him you are a member of beyond. if he knows anything it will get fixed for free. JK. besides, there is definitely an onus on the business to sell you a vehicle in top running shape. its a nissan dealership, you bought a nissan. they must have done a mechanical fitness assesment etc. which you should have a copy of. this shouldnt even be an issue!!!

No, there really isn't an onus. Many older cars are a better deal for customers if the dealer doesn't do the work. The service, sales, and parts are three seperate entitys in a dealership. When a used car manager brings in a vehicle, it goes through the shop at full rate ($119/h) and any parts that are required are purchased at full price through the parts department. This is how a dealership stays alive.

What that means is, if you bring in a car for $5000 and it gets an MFA that quotes $2500 of work, You'll probably have better luck disclosing the condition of the vehicle and reccomending the customer get their own mechanic (often @ $70/h or DIY) and source their own parts. I know that I'd rather do my own repairs and save a ton of $$.

HOWEVER, you are correct that this shouldn't even be an issue.

All vehicles must have a mechanical fitness assessment done. Nobody said anything about having every component on the car pass. The results of the inspection must be presented before the sale is finalized. If something was up, it would've been on the MFA.

Or you could accuse the dealership of falsifying the inspection and sue.

BigDannyCool
01-06-2011, 12:35 AM
you should be talking to a sales manager not a salesman

kvg
01-06-2011, 12:43 AM
You had the car for a day so I would talk to the manager in person, not on the phone. Sunridge Nissan will probably show you good will.

r0g3r
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Should I talk to the manager at main branch or the used car manager?

Also the inspection sheet showed everything passed (it was pass/fail sheet) so mechanically they showed it to have zero problems according to paper work.

And eveb when finalizing the deal the guy kept saying I have to take it to service centre. Sigh.

Sorath
01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
talk to the used car sales manager his name is chris bennett, if that goes no where, come look for me over at the new side

r0g3r
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Sorath, pm'd you.

RUQUIKR
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Any respectable dealer would take car of the problem for you but they are not legally obligated unless if the problem falls under the safety inspection.

ExtraSlow
01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
And eveb when finalizing the deal the guy kept saying I have to take it to service centre. Sigh.
Wait, before you signed the paperwork, you knew about a mechanical issue, and you signed anyway?
This isn't a case of a hidden defect. I'm sorry, but from where I stand, they have no responsibility to you.
They may decide to repair it out of goodwill, but that's totally up to them.

nobb
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
My experience with Universal Ford was that even if the problem was something I think should be covered under warranty, a diagnostics fee had to be paid even if you tell the service manager exactly what part was going wrong. In addition, I think warranty only covers the part and you may have to pay labor. That was my experience with Ford, not sure if Nissan will be the same. In the end I was just like "fk it, Ill just fix the damn thing myself"

SOAB
01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
wait, let me get this straight. you bought a used vehicle that is still under the new vehicle warranty?

whats the problem here? take it in to the service department at a dealer of your choice and they will take care of it for you, providing that it is not a wearing part (ie: tires, brakes, fluids, etc).

i really don't see what the salesman could do for you that you couldn't do for yourself (considering that you bought the car knowing that this problem existed).