PDA

View Full Version : What's a good place to get my gears installed in Calgary?

sum_weirdo
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I decided I'm going to get a limited slip and 4.10 gears for my Mustang in the next couple of months. So I started looking for a good shop for the job and I requested a quote from Unlimited Performance. They wanted to charge me over a grand just for the freakin parts! And another $750 for labor.

Now I'm very aware I can get those parts for half that on Summit but I suspect the high end shops don't allow customer provided parts. Can someone recommend a shop that's honest and competent? I mean god I could order a whole new rear end for what Unlimited wants to charge me. Thanks.

Abeo
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Last year I got my Easton Truetrac installed by Jay at Chanda. I provided the diff to him, he installed it, it has been perfect. Cost about $400 to install

Darell_n
01-06-2011, 05:53 PM
You need to make friends with a shop. I will be getting a R&P change at Big 4 Motors and they quoted me $55 x 3 hrs at the family rate. My last swap at Temple of Torque was $700 for the same job.

Ymerej472008
01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
You need to make friends with a shop.

This. Good customer service and friendship keeps customers happy and returning for years to come.

Not to mention its also good for their business to have happy customers telling everyone about the positive experience.

Darell_n
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Ymerej472008

This. Good customer service and friendship keeps customers happy and returning for years to come.

Not to mention its also good for their business to have happy customers telling everyone about the positive experience.

Actually, I am family. :D I think it may be tough to find a random shop to do work at cost.

Shlade
01-06-2011, 06:16 PM
What year is your car? I may be able to help you out..

Try giving Tim from Zero to 60 a call.. hes a good guy but if he charges you a ridiculous amount its usually a hint for him saying im really busy and i dont have time for this at the moment..

PM me if you need any help.

Also,

Why are you going to these other shops to purchase your gears?

M.alex
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
What year is your car? I may be able to help you out..

Try giving Tim from Zero to 60 a call.. hes a good guy but if he charges you a ridiculous amount its usually a hint for him saying im really busy and i dont have time for this at the moment..

PM me if you need any help.

Also,

Why are you going to these other shops to purchase your gears?

I've called Tim for several installs over the years and each time he never got back to me or it was like months wait. Unless things have changed i wouldn't expect too much from him.

Shlade
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Hes awful for calling back his schedule is really busy..

I had to get Western Motorsports to call him for me. Hes not exactly cheap either..

sum_weirdo
01-07-2011, 08:54 AM
It'll probably be like March when I get the money together for this. The only reason I'd consider getting parts from a local shop is because I know some of them won't install it otherwise. I'd much rather go for the cheapest source.

Shlade
01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
your not going to find a cheaper source.. If you do itll be shit quality gears..

Go with Ford Racing gears nothing else or `cheaper`

A Set of gears at the Mustang shop or Western Motorsports will run you $170.

$269 for the full install kit with pinion and rings and gear oil at Western motorsports.

Again tho you didnt answer my question.. What year is the car?

sum_weirdo
01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
your not going to find a cheaper source.. If you do itll be shit quality gears..

Go with Ford Racing gears nothing else or `cheaper`

A Set of gears at the Mustang shop or Western Motorsports will run you $170.

$269 for the full install kit with pinion and rings and gear oil at Western motorsports.

Again tho you didnt answer my question.. What year is the car?

Sorry it's a 2006 V6 Mustang. By cheapest source I didn't mean dumpster diving, but the gears, install kit, and a Ford Racing limited slip should only come to 5 or 6 hundred dollars max. Unlimited Performance quoted me $1030 for those parts, that's robbery.

Shlade
01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
yeah but your factoring in the shipping in that aswell.

Trust me and go check out Western those guys will hook you up good and it shouldnt be near that..

LSD`s aint cheap tho so youll be forking out money for that. A detroit tru lock isnt bad at all for the price its at.

Curious tho.. Will you be racing this car or just daily driving? Because the 4.10`s themselves will wake the car up like no other and make it feel like its a V8 almost.

Abeo
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I bought my diff from Stan at Northridge 4x4, it was for a 7.5 diff (just like the OP has), and was at least $100 cheaper than buying it in-town (and less than the cost of the diff + shipping from the states). Free shipping (from Ponoka) too. I was thinking of buying the trac-lok, but I wanted something that wouldn't require rebuilding, so I got the truetrac. Couldn't be happier.

M.alex
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by sum_weirdo

Sorry it's a 2006 V6 Mustang. By cheapest source I didn't mean dumpster diving, but the gears, install kit, and a Ford Racing limited slip should only come to 5 or 6 hundred dollars max. Unlimited Performance quoted me $1030 for those parts, that's robbery.

If it's just a V6 i don't know if I'd bother - I went to 4.10s in my old mustang and not really sure if it was worth it or not.

if you're an auto though i'd look into a transgo shift kit - now THAT is a worthwhile mod.

sum_weirdo
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
When the supercharger isn't broken it's pushing close to 400 at the crank so it's no slouch :bigpimp: Could use a little more low end though.

I'll probably go to the track every once in a while just to beat my chest at people but mostly it's a daily driver. I'll check out each of the options you guys have brought up, thanks!

M.alex
01-07-2011, 02:59 PM
In that case you probably would notice more of a benefit than I did (I just had 4.10s, transgo on the hardest setting, exhaust, intake)

Shlade
01-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by sum_weirdo
When the supercharger isn't broken it's pushing close to 400 at the crank so it's no slouch :bigpimp: Could use a little more low end though.

I'll probably go to the track every once in a while just to beat my chest at people but mostly it's a daily driver. I'll check out each of the options you guys have brought up, thanks!

Thats definetly no slouch haha.. And the V6 is considerably lighter than the GT aswell..

What color is your car? Were you at the Presidential car show in June of last year at all?

sum_weirdo
01-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Thats definetly no slouch haha.. And the V6 is considerably lighter than the GT aswell..

What color is your car? Were you at the Presidential car show in June of last year at all?

Light blue. No don't think I was at that show.