PDA

View Full Version : Witnesses in Taxi Accident

G-ZUS
01-06-2011, 08:05 PM
So I got into an accident with a taxi the other night.
I had my friends in the car with me but apparently my insurance isn't willing to consider them witnesses.
The taxi had two passengers in it, but they left the scene almost instantly.
I'm just wondering if they can be used as witnesses?
and am I really unable to use the people that were in my car as witnesses?

Graham_A_M
01-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Ask the officer when you fill out the accident report.
It is a grey area to be sure unfortunately.

Muji
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Why would the fact your witnesses were in the car have anything to do with their ability to communicate what it is they observed? Who told you they were not allowed?

If it were a murder (granted a bigger deal), and they were in the car and observed the situation, same result? I would get a lawyer and as mentioned talk to the police officer. The insurance company is trying to grind you down, which is exactly what they do unless called on it. I have a close friend who works in an auto injury claim department, they try and wiggle out of paying anything as the abusers have ruined the system. Fight back and they might come around.

swak
01-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Just a FYI. If you're looking for money from the Taxi company, its gonna be like pulling teeth.

I was hit a few summers back on my bicycle by a taxi, and instead of being responsible and willing to pay for my damaged bike, they sent me a letter asking for payment for their damaged taxi :facepalm: :facepalm:

Secondly, i know a guy who has been waiting a little over a year for the taxi company's insurance to come through :facepalm:

Best of luck dude.

derpderp
01-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Wait, the taxi driver fled the scene? That is fucked up, a commercial driver is the last person I'd expect who would run away considering their company might be a bit curious why he arrived with an un-reported damaged vehicle.

rage2
01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by swak
Just a FYI. If you're looking for money from the Taxi company, its gonna be like pulling teeth.

I was hit a few summers back on my bicycle by a taxi, and instead of being responsible and willing to pay for my damaged bike, they sent me a letter asking for payment for their damaged taxi :facepalm: :facepalm:
Was it your fault? Because if it was, then you do owe them money for the damages.

avishal26
01-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by derpderp
Wait, the taxi driver fled the scene? That is fucked up, a commercial driver is the last person I'd expect who would run away considering their company might be a bit curious why he arrived with an un-reported damaged vehicle.

I believe OP meant the taxi passengers left the scene, not the driver.

Cab drivers are always in too much of a rush...

G-ZUS
01-07-2011, 01:03 AM
My insurance company told me that the witnesses have to be impartial, but it's not like it's a criminal offence, it's just traffic violation. There were no injuries to any party so my buddy has absolutely nothing to gain or lose by giving his statement.

I'm not really looking for money from the taxi company, I just dont wanna get bent over for this, as they want $2600+ to straighten a fender, replace a headlight and get a wheel alignment.

Most likely they're gonna' find me at fault for the accident, I'm just wondering if those two guys that left the scene are valid witnesses and why I can't use the people in my car as witnesses???

Thanks in advance for any advice

redblack
01-07-2011, 08:09 AM
I think the two passengers in the taxi will also be excluded from giving statements. From what i understand, witnesses can only be people who are not involved in the collision.

403Gemini
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I would say yes you can use the passengers in the Taxi cab as witnesses since they aren't impartial to either the taxi company or yourself.

The reason why you can't use passengers in your own vehicle is because chances are you have a good relationship with those people in your car and it's easier to formulate a story/lie. I'm not saying you would do this, but with the ridiculous amount of insurance fraud, insurance companies need to cover their asses. I think property claims have something like an 80%~ average of some sort of fraud, be it a small exageration like "my xbox 360 was stolen" when it was just a regular xbox, to blatant lies of products owned.

Barlow
01-07-2011, 12:21 PM
By the sounds of it,

You are at fault in this acccident,

I dont see you coming out on top in this situation.

Andrew

swak
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Was it your fault? Because if it was, then you do owe them money for the damages.

According to the prik of a driver, i was at fault.

According to me, and the half a dozen pedestrians yelling at the cabbie, he was at fault.

Taxi company took his word, and sent me a bill.

trieuth
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Secondly, i know a guy who has been waiting a little over a year for the taxi company's insurance to come through :facepalm:

Best of luck dude.

Mayfair hit my old car, I got an estimate within the week and repaired in 3.5 weeks. Swung by their office when I got my car back, showed them the bill and they cut me a cheque on the spot. Wasn't bad at all.

Masked Bandit
01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
So what were the circumstances of the accident? There's enough insurance people on the board to tell you for sure who is at fault.

G-ZUS
01-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I was driving in the second lane from the left down 5 street (one-way) heading south towards 13 ave SW. needed to turn left at 13 ave so i needed to change into the far left lane before the intersection. Set my signal, slowed down, checked my mirror, shoulder checked, lane was clear he was quite a ways back in that lane. Started to move into that lane and all of a sudden he's right there, It was a fender to fender hit, no front end damage to either car. I'm pretty sure he sped up to try to make the turn before me.

JMaj7
01-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
I was driving in the second lane from the left down 5 street (one-way) heading south towards 13 ave SW. needed to turn left at 13 ave so i needed to change into the far left lane before the intersection. Set my signal, slowed down, checked my mirror, shoulder checked, lane was clear he was quite a ways back in that lane. Started to move into that lane and all of a sudden he's right there, It was a fender to fender hit, no front end damage to either car. I'm pretty sure he sped up to try to make the turn before me.

Was the line solid or dotted? You couldn't tell how fast he was approaching? I don't see this going in your favour man. Maybe the cops notes and collision report will help.

Amysicle
01-07-2011, 11:08 PM
According to the prik of a driver, i was at fault.

According to me, and the half a dozen pedestrians yelling at the cabbie, he was at fault.

Taxi company took his word, and sent me a bill. I remember the thread, you were following too close behind a taxi on your bike and it just suddenly stopped and your bike met the taxi. Maybe not in those words exactly, since you deleted the original post.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/272355/bike-meet-taxi-bike-lose-/

Weapon_R
01-07-2011, 11:25 PM

your fault....

No witness is gonna help you here.

dj_rice
01-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I recall he wasn't paying attention and he ran into the rear of the taxi and sent him flying off the bike and he wanted damages for his bike :rofl:

revelations
01-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

your fault....

No witness is gonna help you here.

:werd: you might have looked, but you changed lanes into his.

JMaj7
01-08-2011, 06:07 AM
My insurance company told me that the witnesses have to be impartial, but it's not like it's a criminal offence, it's just traffic violation. There were no injuries to any party so my buddy has absolutely nothing to gain or lose by giving his statement.

I'm not really looking for money from the taxi company, I just dont wanna get bent over for this, as they want $2600+ to straighten a fender, replace a headlight and get a wheel alignment.

Most likely they're gonna' find me at fault for the accident, I'm just wondering if those two guys that left the scene are valid witnesses and why I can't use the people in my car as witnesses???

Thanks in advance for any advice

The hypothetical is that if you were at fault, would your buddy actually witness in favour of the taxi driver?

I think that $2600 or even twice that isn't a big deal considering everyone could've sued you for injuries if they really wanted to. All it takes is a conversation with a doctor. They say that there are long term effects to accidents and make people are out to make a buck. Let your insurance company figure out who was at fault and give them a detailed statement and try to illustrate why (you feel) it is not your fault.

I think that the two people that left the scene were probably impartial enough to be witnesses but from their perspective, they would've just saw you driving into them, even if your signal was on. Cabbies do drive like shit though.

Masked Bandit
01-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry OP, you're at fault on this one. Yes maybe the taxi increased his speed to make the turn before you got his lane but it doesn't matter.

tom_9109
01-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Based on your statement I'd agree that a court would likely find you at fault. At the end of the day your changing of lanes was likely the proximate cause of the collision.

By chance was this the corner of 5th Ave SW and 6th Street SW?

Type_S1
01-08-2011, 10:27 AM

What are witnesses going to do for you? This was completely your fault. Just because you signal you still have to change lanes safely

bart
01-08-2011, 07:43 PM
ya its ghey witnesses cannot be someone you know, i had this problem before, i had a friend in his own car behind me and saw me get hit.

i wonder if i see a friend of mine get murdered can i be a witness then? :)

brown911
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
I was once rear ended by a cab, they were actually pretty easy to deal with, and like the other guy said, i got my car repaired, and they told me to come to their office. They apologized for the inconvenience and cut me a cheque on the spot.

You are at fault in this scenario though, and I am pretty sure your insurance will also have to pay a loss of wages fee to the taxi company.