PDA

View Full Version : Bissett VS Haskayne?

iahbrip
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Honest opinions guys?

gqmw
01-07-2011, 01:15 AM
I looked at your past posts, I thought you said you were a Haskayne student? Are you not liking it? Or did you get kicked out?

I don't have personal experience but I know a few people who switched over from MRC (when it was still mrc and not mru) and they all feel that it was a good transfer. However, I do know some MRU students who are really enjoying the classes there.

borN
01-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Haskayne student here.

Trying to refrain from being biased, but if you compare the programs offered from both universities, it's very obvious that Haskayne has more concentrations that cover a larger array of industry.

Bissett, from what I hear, have smaller classroom sizes which give a more personal education experience. However, I do have a lot of friends who switch from Bissett that tell me it's nothing in comparison to Haskayne.

On the other hand, Haskayne's size allows it to have greater extra-curricular programs and participation in more global competitions. Classroom sizes may be a drawback to some people though? I've really never found it an issue.

Teaching wise...I mean, great profs come from all schools. The current mayor, Naheed Nenshi, used to (maybe on a leave of absence) teach at Bissett in nonprofit management. I can imagine that he would be an amazing prof. But once again, theoretically, due to Haskayne's size and exposure, it has a larger probability of attracting more and better professors.

But it is what it is. Common consensus from what I hear: If you can't get in Haskayne, go to MRU and transfer back in 3rd year.

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Everyone in the industry I've talked to doesn't give a shit whatsoever what business school you went to. Industry experience is WAY more important. A business degree just gets you in the door, after that if you have experience, competence, general common sense, and the ability to learn you are golden IMO because you will maybe use 1% of what you learned getting your business degree at your actual job (unless it's accounting or something). I've been told that so many times by so many people responsible for hiring, and it was most certainly the case with me. I was at both MRU and the U of L Calgary Campus, and some of the teachers are U of C profs as well. Quality of education is exactly the same at any of the 3 places IMO.

YMMV but that was my experience when I was in school. I'm 25 now and got my job mainly due to my experience as a summer student at a previous company. Lots of companies don't even check to see if you have a degree, let alone your grades (at least none that I or any of my friends work for and there are a lot of us in the industry...again YMMV).

I'm not saying just randomly pick one and scrape by with 60%, but I wouldn't over think it. Go where you want to go, and worry less about how the school name looks on your resume. As far as effort goes, the difference between 75-80% and 90+% is like 5 times more work. I always thought how mad I would be if I wasted my life getting 95% on everything and then having my employer not check grades (none that I know of do) haha.

01-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't want to start a huge argument here but I think school name and reputation does play a big role in your career if you are interested in working outside of Calgary.

leftwing
01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by borN

But it is what it is. Common consensus from what I hear: If you can't get in Haskayne, go to MRU and transfer back in 3rd year.

Its actually harder to get into Bisset than it is to get into Haskayne now im pretty sure.

MRU student here...

I do not have any experience at U of C but im 3rd year at MRU and I love it. I dont see any reason why someone would switch to U of C from MRU unless they were going into education or engineering.

The biggest advantage U of C has is its student/social life. If I can recall correctly they were rated #1 of all Canadian univeristies in student life.

MRU is known for having a closer knit school with more group work and interaction between students and other students, and students and teachers. the largest class size is 35 (In Bisset) with lots of classes being less. Id really say you cant go wrong.

But as im sure Im sounding biased you should check out both schools if your interested. Im sure everyone from MRU will say they like it better and everyone from U of C will say they like it better.

Superdooper
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Everyone in the industry I've talked to doesn't give a shit whatsoever what business school you went to. Industry experience is WAY more important. A business degree just gets you in the door, after that if you have experience, competence, general common sense, and the ability to learn you are golden IMO because you will maybe use 1% of what you learned getting your business degree at your actual job (unless it's accounting or something). I've been told that so many times by so many people responsible for hiring, and it was most certainly the case with me. I was at both MRU and the U of L Calgary Campus, and some of the teachers are U of C profs as well. Quality of education is exactly the same at any of the 3 places IMO.

YMMV but that was my experience when I was in school. I'm 25 now and got my job mainly due to my experience as a summer student at a previous company. Lots of companies don't even check to see if you have a degree, let alone your grades (at least none that I or any of my friends work for and there are a lot of us in the industry...again YMMV).

I'm not saying just randomly pick one and scrape by with 60%, but I wouldn't over think it. Go where you want to go, and worry less about how the school name looks on your resume. As far as effort goes, the difference between 75-80% and 90+% is like 5 times more work. I always thought how mad I would be if I wasted my life getting 95% on everything and then having my employer not check grades (none that I know of do) haha.

From many job postings and my experiences with talking with HR, many companies (oil and gas, investment banking, accounting, finance & economics) who hire new grads almost always ask for transcripts (and usually have a cutoff of 3.2 GPA +) to be submitted along with the resume. So while I agree that after you have a good entry level position your grades and university reputation become obselete, it still matters quite substantially for summer positions and your first entry level job.

So I would not give the advice of having a B- average or else you won't be considered for many good summer internships during univ. (which help in finding a job after university) and entry level positons after univ.

PS: For Haskayne Vs Bissett
Education Quality -> Haskayne = Bissett
Reputation -> Haskayne > Bissett
Girls -> Bissett > Haskayne
Profs -> Bissett > Haskayne (since their more geared towards undergraduates and are not heavily involved in research)
Industry involvement -> Haskayne > Bissett
Campus Life -> Haskayne > Bissett

Score: Haskayne (3) > Bissett (2) with one tie

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm just saying what was the case with me and every last one of my friends who also took business.

I did not give any advice for people to underachieve. I just said to do what they think is actually worth it. I'm also not telling people to scrape by, but to only put in the insane effort required to go from a B to and A, for example, if they REALLY think it will help them. I know so many people who literally had no life for 5 years, graduated with a 4.0, and didn't have their grades checked on their first jobs (after that it doesn't matter anymore).

Again, this is just my experience, YMMV. I had friends at Bissett, Haskayne, and U of L like myself.

sneek
01-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I am in Haskayne now, and to be honest I think Mitsu is right. The school might matter for getting you in the door, where Haskayne has a better name, but after you get some experience, it doesn't matter.

austic
01-07-2011, 04:15 PM
To be brutally honest alot of the hiring has to do with where your recruiter went to school. I obviously have a preference for Haskayne grads but my coworker prefers UofL as he thinks that all Calgary grads are spoiled brats.

xxviet
01-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Girls -> Bissett > Haskayne :thumbsup:

Type_S1
01-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Every MRU student will say that it is better because "smaller class sizes" blah blah blah. Class sizes? Who gives a fuck? I don't need to be babies like a 16 year old asking where my homework is...I go to a lecture with 60-70 kids and if I need time with the prof I send a simple email for help...not a big deal?

Fact is no matter what anyone says reputation does matter and every U of C student knows this. If your looking to go into oil and gas with a business degree U of C is highly favored. If your looking to do accounting MRU right now really is a joke compared to U of C...at U of C there is huuugggeee recruiting things with accounting where MRU is not comparable. People do care about which school you went to because industry people went to Universities as well and Haskayne has a better reputation.

I have friends who are completely stupid and I 100% know they could never pass a university course with decent grades yet they go into general studies at MRC then transfer to business and are getting like 3.5 GPA's. Overinflated GPA's and no real challenge in schooling...tell me when your looking for a job people don't realize this as well.

So much can be said on the topic but it's really just MRU kids trying to feel on par with U of C kids and U of C kids trying to feel superior...just a pissing match that in REAL LIFE U of C kids will always win.

I wish UofC girls and MRU girls could switch schools though :clap:

*EDIT*
As for what was said above...it is true experience later in life is what matters. U of C will for sure get you a better job after graduating but if you slack off after that and are a dumb ass you aren't going to do very well. What school you go to determines how good of a job your going to get after you finish really.

xxviet
01-08-2011, 04:04 PM
"What school you go to determines how good of a job your going to get after you finish really."

thats not alllways true. i know a guy that went to university and finished with a degree in marketing, he ended up doing accounting no degree what so ever, hes making 6 figures down town calgary. this guy came to canada from another country

Superdooper
01-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by xxviet
"What school you go to determines how good of a job your going to get after you finish really."

thats not alllways true. i know a guy that went to university and finished with a degree in marketing, he ended up doing accounting no degree what so ever, hes making 6 figures down town calgary. this guy came to canada from another country

Everyone knows a guy.

sunny071
01-08-2011, 07:34 PM
3rd year transfer from MRU to UofC

Originally posted by leftwing

Its actually harder to get into Bisset than it is to get into Haskayne now im pretty sure.

Wrong, in 5-7 years maybe they will be equal but as of now if you have high 60s low 70s you can get into MRU business whereas at U of C the criteria is high 70s low 80s.

Class size wise small classes are definitely better. All MRU classes are pretty small but all my senior classes in haskayne (scurfield hall) have 40-50 students maximum so not bad at all + the actual lecture rooms are cutting edge, the options are terrible though, 200+ kids.

I liked professors at MRU, they seemed much more approachable + actually care for students. At U of C they seem to want to trick students on exams, I guess b/c of so many kids wanting to major in Acct and finance.

Job wise U of C is better because 1) more companies sponsor and donate rooms (syndicate and lecture) in Haskayne than MRU. 2) Career center at U of C has more connections downtown. In my Acct 421 class we actually got to do a presentation at an accounting firm downtown, blew my mind. All else equal a recruiter will pick a U of C student over MRU student. This doesn't mean if you have a 2.7 at U of C you will get a job over 3.3 MRU student, if you keep good standing at MRU you will get a good job.

Higher studies: U of C is better for obvious reasons.

Social Scene: I actually like MRU better, studies aren't hard + students are happier. At U of C everyone seems stressed out. I BARELY studied at MRU and got a 3.3 GPA in my 2nd year to transfer. In my 1st semester at U of C fall 2010, I have 0 social life during the semester, I have never studied so much in my entire fucking life. Although I got 3.3 GPA, I had to withdraw from one course. I am taking accounting if it helps, just my two cents.

Isaiah
01-08-2011, 07:48 PM
This is the third MRU vs. U of C thread in the past year and the result is always the same.

Mitsu3000gt
01-09-2011, 04:32 AM
I find it funny that so many people think U of C education is so superior, when a lot of the profs at MRU and U of L are U of C profs looking for some extra cash haha. The quality is basically the same.

As for class size...big class sizes are WAY better IMO. Fewer presentations, and you can sleep if you want without teachers caring (they do in the small classes). Also, by far the biggest advantage of big classes, NO PARTICIPATION MARKS. God damn I hate that. If I don't want to contribute, good for me. If I can skip the odd class and still get an A, good for me. I am paying to be at school, attendance/participation marks are the most ridiculous thing in all of school IMO.

All my classes were 30 people or less and that is the only thing I would change. Huge classes are a million times better because you aren't treated like you're in elementary school.

e36bmw///
01-09-2011, 04:00 PM
nm

Cos
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I find it funny that so many people think U of C education is so superior, when a lot of the profs at MRU and U of L are U of C profs looking for some extra cash haha. The quality is basically the same.

As for class size...big class sizes are WAY better IMO. Fewer presentations, and you can sleep if you want without teachers caring (they do in the small classes). Also, by far the biggest advantage of big classes, NO PARTICIPATION MARKS. God damn I hate that. If I don't want to contribute, good for me. If I can skip the odd class and still get an A, good for me. I am paying to be at school, attendance/participation marks are the most ridiculous thing in all of school IMO.

All my classes were 30 people or less and that is the only thing I would change. Huge classes are a million times better because you aren't treated like you're in elementary school.

:rofl: bahaha love the honesty. Yeah it sucks that they make you show up for class. Damn them!

gqmw
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
^ So larger classes = can sleep in class
great

Lol I hated being picked on in class by the teacher or the teacher hating me cause I wasn't paying attention. I don't see class participation as being an asset to any class.

For all the people that keep saying smaller class sizes are a benefit...it seriously doesn't make a difference. I've had 300 person classes compared to 30 person classes and a 300 person class doesn't make a teacher less approachable for asking questions than a 30 person class.

In a 30 person class, a teacher may care more or know you by name...but at the university level, students shouldn't need to be babysat, they should have the freedom to do what they want and at the same time be expected to function at a university level on their own.

calgary_89
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by gqmw

Lol I hated being picked on in class by the teacher or the teacher hating me cause I wasn't paying attention. I don't see class participation as being an asset to any class.

For all the people that keep saying smaller class sizes are a benefit...it seriously doesn't make a difference. I've had 300 person classes compared to 30 person classes and a 300 person class doesn't make a teacher less approachable for asking questions than a 30 person class.

In a 30 person class, a teacher may care more or know you by name...but at the university level, students shouldn't need to be babysat, they should have the freedom to do what they want and at the same time be expected to function at a university level on their own.

dont forget you are talking about mru here. :rofl:

Chandler_Racing
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I've always thought people who place so much weight on credentials lack ability.

Cos
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
I've always thought people who place so much weight on credentials lack ability.

there was a dentist or orthodontist on the news a couple years ago for doing hack work on people. Funniest part was the door to his clinic.

Dr. xxxx xxxx
B.Sc (Bio), M.Sc. (xxx), DMD, AKAJSF, AFKAK, CAKFJKa

It was retarded. Had 6 or 7 credentials behind his name. I agree with you 100%

borN
01-09-2011, 08:28 PM

I don't think I agree here. To me, the benefit of smaller classrooms is not so much about the in class lecture material, or the answering of questions, but more so about the type of assignments given.

In a 300 person class, it mainly revolves around multiple choice exams and a large amount of TA's. As classroom sizes get smaller, you see less TA's, more prof involvement in assignments, and sometimes more group projects. And personally, I end up caring more and involving myself in the class if the prof's actually have interesting assignments. I also feel that you learn better actually doing projects, like valuating a merger, instead of straight out learning about the theories surrounding it in a textbook and filling in a bubble sheet.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

I don't think I agree here. To me, the benefit of smaller classrooms is not so much about the in class lecture material, or the answering of questions, but more so about the type of assignments given.

In a 300 person class, it mainly revolves around multiple choice exams and a large amount of TA's. As classroom sizes get smaller, you see less TA's, more prof involvement in assignments, and sometimes more group projects. And personally, I end up caring more and involving myself in the class if the prof's actually have interesting assignments. I also feel that you learn better actually doing projects, like valuating a merger, instead of straight out learning about the theories surrounding it in a textbook and filling in a bubble sheet.

What is stopping you from asking the prof questions about an assignment in a 300 person class? It's no different than 30 person classes.

Also with group projects...everyone I know HATES them, including myself. Why? Because everyone is in 5-6 classes already, has 5-6 OTHER group projects to worry about, and has a job. Trying to coordinate anything at all is the hugest pain in the ass. Every group project I've been in gets reduced to people doing their parts on their own, e-mailing them to one person, and then the one person puts it all together and makes it sound like 1 person wrote it...defeating the entire purpose of a group project.

I've been in both, and the ONLY difference I noticed in class size, is that you are treated like a baby in 30 person classes and there are more presentations. If teachers are going to give attendance and participation marks, they might as well also hand out warm milk and soothers for everyone while they're at it.

wiggaplz
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM

MRU student here...

I do not have any experience at U of C but im 3rd year at MRU and I love it. I dont see any reason why someone would switch to U of C from MRU unless they were going into education or engineering.

The biggest advantage U of C has is its student/social life. If I can recall correctly they were rated #1 of all Canadian univeristies in student life.

MRU is known for having a closer knit school with more group work and interaction between students and other students, and students and teachers. the largest class size is 35 (In Bisset) with lots of classes being less. Id really say you cant go wrong.

But as im sure Im sounding biased you should check out both schools if your interested. Im sure everyone from MRU will say they like it better and everyone from U of C will say they like it better.
I went to both schools and no offense but haskayne/u of c is a way better school. Smarter proffs, smarter students, harder workload, better education. The career centre at mru is honestly bullshit and if your doing a real major at the u of c there's loads of great companies that hire through career link. The only drawback is class sizes, which really isn't even a big deal. Oh, and the gym sucks.

gqmw
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM

To comment directly on haskayne, as you get to your higher level classes...class sizes are like 60 people or less. There are group projects, tons of them actually. So really, class size is not a factor in comparing bissett to haskayne.

Of course not EVERY class is this small, and it is not nearly as small as bisset classes as you guys say, but I don't see it make a huge difference.

Bottom line...you see tons of people switch from mru-->u of c and not many from u of c--> mru by choice.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz

I went to both schools and no offense but haskayne/u of c is a way better school. Smarter proffs, smarter students, harder workload, better education.

That is funny because nearly all my profs at MRU were also U of C profs. I don't think the intelligence of the prof changes depending on what day of the week it is. I'm sure there are some shit profs at U of C too, like any school. The smarter students thing is BS too, there are plenty of smart people who are just lazy. I could have easily gotten into Haskayne but CHOSE not to. I couldn't have been happier with my decision. The "better education" thing is BS as well, in my opinion. With the same prof and a smart student, I don't see how that really would be any different.

The work load in Haskayne is probably a bit more, but that means absolutely nothing as far as education quality goes. I learned BY FAR the most from a few of my profs that also happened to give the least work. They actually had relevant experiences and stories to share, and had much more useful projects for us to do. Tests focused on application not regurgitation, and there was absolutely no need for insane work loads. They were the few classes that actually provided relevant real world experience. Had they assigned 10 times more work and mindlessly flipped through power points with a test every day, I wouldn't have received a better education. In fact I would argue that huge work loads have a negative effect on learning, because all you do is spend endless hours studying to regurgitate it all on a test and forget it 10 min later.

wiggaplz
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM

That is funny because nearly all my profs at MRU were also U of C profs. I don't think the intelligence of the prof changes depending on what day of the week it is. I'm sure there are some shit profs at U of C too, like any school. The smarter students thing is BS too, there are plenty of smart people who are just lazy. I could have easily gotten into Haskayne but CHOSE not to. I couldn't have been happier with my decision. The "better education" thing is BS as well, in my opinion. With the same prof and a smart student, I don't see how that really would be any different.

The work load in Haskayne is probably a bit more, but that means absolutely nothing as far as education quality goes. I learned BY FAR the most from a few of my profs that also happened to give the least work. They actually had relevant experiences and stories to share, and had much more useful projects for us to do. Tests focused on application not regurgitation, and there was absolutely no need for insane work loads. They were the few classes that actually provided relevant real world experience. Had they assigned 10 times more work and mindlessly flipped through power points with a test every day, I wouldn't have received a better education. In fact I would argue that huge work loads have a negative effect on learning, because all you do is spend endless hours studying to regurgitate it all on a test and forget it 10 min later.
OK, so SOME of the proffs teach both at mru and u of c. Many don't. And they are all Phd's with tons of industry experience.

Once again, I've spent time in both schools and I have found that the education I receive at U of C is
-faster paced
-more in depth and of a better quality because you need to learn and actually UNDERSTAND the material as the proffs literally try to trick you on exams. At MRU my GPA was 3.5 with a little bit of studying close to exam time. My GPA at U of C is 3.1 with consistent studying throughout the semester and crazy studying close to exams.

Many of the classes at MRU offered participation marks as a decent proportion of the grade...straight up BS if you ask me, eerily similar to high school.

As for the calibre of the students at both schools...completely different man. I couldn't believe how many students at MRU were willing to scrape by with low 60s while most of the students I know here are trying to get the best possible grade. So maybe you are correct that the students are just as intelligent, just lazier. But the calibre of the students at UC is still far above most MRU's.

Not sure why you would choose to go to a lesser rated school, with lower job prospects, and a lesser reputation but different strokes for different folks. I'm glad I made the switch over.

wiggaplz
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
As I mentioned earlier, the career centre at MRU was honestly complete BS. Big Four heavily recruits here. Investment banks in the major cities recruit here, big 6 canadian banks recruit here. Mru had what? BMO, and Sun Life?

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM

OK, so SOME of the proffs teach both at mru and u of c. Many don't. And they are all Phd's with tons of industry experience.

Many of the classes at MRU offered participation marks as a decent proportion of the grade...straight up BS if you ask me, eerily similar to high school.

As for the calibre of the students at both schools...completely different man. I couldn't believe how many students at MRU were willing to scrape by with low 60s while most of the students I know here are trying to get the best possible grade. So maybe you are correct that the students are just as intelligent, just lazier. But the calibre of the students at UC is still far above most MRU's.

Not sure why you would choose to go to a lesser rated school, with lower job prospects, and a lesser reputation but different strokes for different folks. I'm glad I made the switch over.

I agree the participation marks are BS, if you read my earlier posts I comment on how much I hate them repeatedly haha. It's like elementary school in that regard, but not all profs do that.

As for the profs, I'm sure there are just as many shitty profs at UofC as there is at any other school, including MRU. I hear people complaining about them all the time. It doesn't matter if the prof has a education list a mile long if hes a bad teacher, I've had some of those too.

I'm sure there are some less intelligent UofC students that just work their balls off to get in, same as anywhere else. There is a mix of intelligence and effort, and you can substitute effort for intelligence in most fields. I know one guy who is a freakin genius but is in some BS correspondence school for post secondary so he can play world of warcraft all day long. It's all about how much effort you're willing to put in haha.

I was at MRU for only a little while, I got my degree from the U of L. I don't know how UofL is rated but I don't care and I never did. I chose it because it had night classes that worked with my schedule as I was already working in O&G. I don't know what MRU's recruiting is like, but I don't care as I'd never use that anyways. I went out and got my own job with minimal effort. I am doing better than a lot of my Haskayne friends.

As for hiring, it has way more to do with what school the person hiring you went to versus which is "better". Most think whatever school they went to is better, and favor them. EVERY SINGLE person I talked to responsible for hiring could give a shit what school I went to, and was solely concerned about my work experience and my personality. I've even talked to people who didn't like Haskayne. It doesn't matter NEARLY as much as some people think.

Myrrinda
02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
As I mentioned earlier, the career centre at MRU was honestly complete BS. Big Four heavily recruits here. Investment banks in the major cities recruit here, big 6 canadian banks recruit here. Mru had what? BMO, and Sun Life?

I went to MRC before it was MRU and got hired at a big 4 accounting firm. That was 2 years ago. Since then we've hired several more students from MRU. I have managers that went to MRC.

I started out at Haskayne and it was BS. The profs didn't know the names of the students. They could have cared less if we knew anything. I switched over to MRC due to complications I was having getting into Haskayne. I have a BA from UofC, and they told me that in order to attend Haskayne, I would be a transfer student, which was fine, but I had to complete all the pre-reqs first, which was also fine, but they wouldn't let me register in the pre-req's because I wasn't enrolled in Haskayne, and I kept having to get special permission to take classes, and they'd only let me take 2 at a time. Just ridiculous.

At MRC my profs knew me. They were allowed to do everything in their power to help us succeed. As an example, I had one prof who taught at MRC and UofC. We used the same textbook as the UofC students, and had the same exams and assignments, etc. The difference was, at MRC she was allowed to post the solutions to ALL of the exercises in the textbook on blackboard. At UofC, she was only allowed to post 2 per chapter. When there are 20 exercises per chapter, that makes a huge difference.

Also, when I went to MRC we were required to do a co-op (or DFS as it was called). Not sure what it's like now that it's a university, but MRC students came away with more practical experience and a job, whereas the co-op program at UofC has to be applied for.

At first I was so upset about having to attend MRC because I had already done 6 years at UofC, but after my first semester I would never have considered going back.

cjay^
02-04-2011, 03:39 AM

It is easier to get into the business program at MRU.

MRU:

Unless a specific (higher) admission average has been indicated for the program of your choice, high school applicants are normally required to have an overall admission average of 60% on five appropriate grade 12 subjects.

Plus:

* English Language Arts 30-1 — 60%
* Mathematics 30 (Pure or Applied) — 60%

UofC:

Admission is competitive, 2009 minimum was 81.5%, 2010 minimum was 77.0%

Plus:

Pure Mathematics 30 is required for all programs. A minimum grade of 70.0% is the prerequisite for Mathematics 211, 221, 249 and 251.

This doesn't necessarily mean anything at all though, if you are a shitty student that doesn't mean you will make it through MRU just because it is "easier", people get weeded out at both schools.

t-im
02-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Bingo. Probably the best piece of advice in the thread.

And when it comes to all business MRU VS UCalgary, this is what I mentioned in the Geology thread a while back:

Originally posted by t-im

Whether it's justified or not, despite the name change and accreditation, I'm willing to bet many people still hold the stigma that MRU is a college, therefore in NAME recognition, UofC > MRC.

Honestly, the whole "small class size" thing is bullshit. I did my undergrad in a school with HUGE classes (that eventually got smaller, obviously), and my grad studies in a school with comparatively TINY classes. I couldn't care less if the profs knew my name or whatever.

To the people who think large classes suck because the prof doesn't pay attention to you, allow the class to ask questions, what's stopping you from any of that? During my undergrad what I noticed the most is that students RARELY (if ever) went to see their profs for anything. If you want that "individual attention" and "help" from a professor, go get it! I use to have profs edit my 10-15 page papers (or at least give me a critique/review of it). They were more than willing to do so because barely anyone would show up for office hours, or even think to ask them to do something like that.

ChappedLips
02-05-2011, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by cjay^

It is easier to get into the business program at MRU.

Its actually competitive to get into Bisset, MRU may need 60% for certain programs like arts. I have heard that the current GPA required to transfer into Bisset is in the 3.0-3.2 range. I just know that you will have no chance of getting into Bisset if you have a 60% average.

CUG
02-05-2011, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
I've always thought people who place so much weight on credentials lack ability. That's true for a lot of things. I do know people with stellar grades in their schools who do phenomenal work outside of the class too though.

Cos
02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
^^ of course, that is how it should be. However those people with good work ethic and are useful are remembered because they are good, not because they are MBA, Ph.D, blah blah blah

sexualbanana
02-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Teaching wise...I mean, great profs come from all schools. The current mayor, Naheed Nenshi, used to (maybe on a leave of absence) teach at Bissett in nonprofit management. I can imagine that he would be an amazing prof. But once again, theoretically, due to Haskayne's size and exposure, it has a larger probability of attracting more and better professors.

Nenshi taught at the U of C too.

IMO, it depends on what you intend your concentration to be. I was at an alumni event about a week ago, and one of the students I was talking to asked me about why I chose Haskayne. My answer was that I had no choice. MRC wasn't accredited at the time, but if I had the choice now I would choose MRU.

The reason being that I think if you are an accounting or finance major, Haskayne has access to a lot of private resources in terms of their recruiting and overall presence on campus. As a marketing major, I felt that there was virtually no support and no resources that I could use to figure out what I wanted to do with my career.

Whereas, it seems to me that MRU has a better focus (or presence) with a lot of non-O&G and non-numbers (for lack of a better group) sectors.

J-hop
02-05-2011, 01:21 PM

no way, definitely don't agree. I went to MRU for one year and U of C for the remaining 3 of my current degree and having the small class sizes is WAY better. Problem with large class sizes is NOT with the prof not being approachable, its about how much time they can feasibly spend with you to explain something. I know with some of my classes at the U of C when it comes to office hours there can sometimes be a line up of people asking questions and the prof doesn't have the time to explain things at length.

Them singling you out is also a way better teaching style IMO. If you are day dreaming in class and not paying attention DON'T BOTHER COMING TO CLASS. In my 4th year classes we have about 20 people in a couple of the classes and lectures are more engaging because at times it becomes more of a conversation with the prof so you learn a shit ton more.

I also didn't pay a shit ton to sit in class like a drone just writing notes and not use my profs expertise to its fullest. I find it is a lot different with kids whos parents pay for their tuition. They don't care to be there because they don't pay for it and they are just there to get a degree and get out. From the sounds of it, you are in this boat.

J-D
02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Completely unrelated to academics, but anyone I know that goes to MRU spends 30 minutes trying to find a parking spot even though they pay for a pass. Parking at the UofC does not blow nearly that hard.

J-hop
02-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by J-D
Completely unrelated to academics, but anyone I know that goes to MRU spends 30 minutes trying to find a parking spot even though they pay for a pass. Parking at the UofC does not blow nearly that hard.

I think it has to do a lot with the train being so close to the U and mass amounts of transit routes that go through or near the U of C. At the U I know very few people that drive, when I was at MR I was one of the very few that didn't drive.

cjay^
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

no way, definitely don't agree. I went to MRU for one year and U of C for the remaining 3 of my current degree and having the small class sizes is WAY better. Problem with large class sizes is NOT with the prof not being approachable, its about how much time they can feasibly spend with you to explain something. I know with some of my classes at the U of C when it comes to office hours there can sometimes be a line up of people asking questions and the prof doesn't have the time to explain things at length.

Them singling you out is also a way better teaching style IMO. If you are day dreaming in class and not paying attention DON'T BOTHER COMING TO CLASS. In my 4th year classes we have about 20 people in a couple of the classes and lectures are more engaging because at times it becomes more of a conversation with the prof so you learn a shit ton more.

I also didn't pay a shit ton to sit in class like a drone just writing notes and not use my profs expertise to its fullest. I find it is a lot different with kids whos parents pay for their tuition. They don't care to be there because they don't pay for it and they are just there to get a degree and get out. From the sounds of it, you are in this boat.

The class size debate is totally subjective, so I don't really see the point in spending much time debating it. If someone is intelligent enough to be accepted into a business program at UofC or MRU, I'm sure they would be able to weigh the pros and cons of each in order to make a decision that suits them as a student.

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2011, 04:26 PM

You're missing the point that a lot of classes have participation marks, and marks for just showing up. It's very similar to being in elementary school - this is one reason why even though I was in small classes my entire life, I would much prefer large class sizes. It was, by FAR, my largest complaint of my entire post secondary stint. I also FUCKING HATED getting singled out and called upon...again, I'm paying to be there, if I want to talk I will, if I don't, leave me alone. That is how 99% of people like to be treated just going by everyone I talked to throughout school. Again, a bit of personal preference there though.

I am paying to be there, if I can do well in the class without attending every lecture, good for me. If I want to sleep through a part of class that isn't relevant, good for me, If you need to go to every class to do well, good for you. Nothing wrong with either approach but when they force you to come by grading you for attendance it's pure bullshit. I've received an "A" in classes before where I only went to 2 or 3 classes all semester just to write the tests. I've also been in classes where I absolutely had to be there every single day.

Also, with so many useless classes and "options" everyone is forced to take these days purely to make more money for the institution, you are paying a "shit ton" for a lot of nothing as well. Really, you're just paying for that piece of paper at the end of it all that gets you in the door somewhere. Your personality, competence, and ability to learn will carry you the rest of the way in the business field. If I only took the classes that were pre-requisites for my actual degree, I'd have been done school in about 1/3 the time and money.

I wouldn't have gone through school any differently whether I paid for it or if my parents paid for it. I'd have still skipped classes that were 100% pointless or not necessary for doing well on any of the assignments or tests. It's no different in the end.

Anyways a lot of stuff in this thread is 100% personal preference. There is also a ton of misinformation in this thread, particularily surrounding the apparent quality of education difference between Bissett and Haskayne.

J-hop
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I agree personal preference you are right. I just have so much respect for profs that actually care about your education over ones that stand in front of 300 students with the lights off and a powerpoint on and just blab for 50mins with people dozing off the whole time.

a prof who truly cares about what he/she is doing will try to engage you. I've taken classes where it was all lecture based (no textbook either) so unless you got the notes off someone or actually came to class you would straight up fail (no these weren't opinion classes like philosophy etc but actual higher level physics courses)

I find it funny that people at the university level are still scared to get singled out. In elementary, yea if I got singled out i'd be pissed and get flustered, by university you should be over that.

Kitty2
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ChappedLips

Its actually competitive to get into Bisset, MRU may need 60% for certain programs like arts. I have heard that the current GPA required to transfer into Bisset is in the 3.0-3.2 range. I just know that you will have no chance of getting into Bisset if you have a 60% average.

To *transfer* it is usually higher for any department/programs than for first year acceptance. That is a given. Still does not prove that it's harder to get into Bissett

Kitty2
02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree personal preference you are right. I just have so much respect for profs that actually care about your education over ones that stand in front of 300 students with the lights off and a powerpoint on and just blab for 50mins with people dozing off the whole time.

a prof who truly cares about what he/she is doing will try to engage you. I've taken classes where it was all lecture based (no textbook either) so unless you got the notes off someone or actually came to class you would straight up fail (no these weren't opinion classes like philosophy etc but actual higher level physics courses)

I find it funny that people at the university level are still scared to get singled out. In elementary, yea if I got singled out i'd be pissed and get flustered, by university you should be over that.

I do agree that there's not much engagement at entry level. But that can't be helped. Someone had to fill the position. Ones that can't make through that will get weeded out and we will have smaller class sizes @ higher level so it all works out I think.

And as we are talking about *business* schools in this topic, business is heavily weighed in networking/engagement. If you don't like getting singled out by your prof.. I'm not sure how you will handle getting asked a question at a meeting by your leader in a work setting. Again, supporting your last paragraph.

slinkie
02-16-2011, 04:56 PM
sauder :angel: haskayne spams grads