PDA

View Full Version : Nikon files a patent for interchangable sensor cameras

AccentAE86
01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Although I really don't see the appeal of such a thing. With software technologies like crop modes and pixel binning to reduce megapixels, is there really a use for an interchangeable sensor camera? Maybe for when the sensor dies? But sensor failure isn't all that common. Is there something I'm missing?

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/11/15/nikon-files-a-patent-applications-for-an-interchangeable-sensor-and-80-200mm-f4-6-5-4-lens.aspx

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
This is old news but I personally would love this. Imagine being able to switch from DX (for wildlife and the like) to FX (for low light, less DOF, etc.). That would be awesome. For someone like me who can't yet afford both DX and FX cameras, this seems ideal. I'd love to be able to pop in a FX sensor when I walked into the dimly lit indoor exhibits at a zoo, and pop the DX back in when I head outside where everything is far away. Also what if you could switch between a D3X sensor for studio work or landscapes and a D3S sensor for low light and sports? It's the best of both worlds.

It would be less desirable in the EVIL or smaller cameras IMO.

AccentAE86
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I guess I just see a lot more utility in having two cameras rather than two sensors. I've never liked things that are "universal". Rather, I prefer things that are more specialized. For example, I use my 1D3 for commercial and industrial shooting in really poor environmental conditions. It's perfect for that. But for portraiture, landscapes, animals, etc I MUCH prefer to carry my 40D, a small and light body that has just the right number of features to do everything I need in that kind of setting. A universal camera would either be powerful enough to handle EVERYTHING therefore overkilling most applications, or probably end up being lacklustre in most regards for the sake of sensor flexibility.

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Those are good points too, there is something to be said about camera body size, durability, etc. and it may not all come together in the body that may have interchangeable sensors.

Also, if you can afford it, it's way better to have a WA lens on 1 body and a telephoto on the other if shooting distances are always changing (and your willing to haul it all around).

Changing the sensor would have to be very painless or it would be annoying for sure. I typically don't like "do everything" solutions either but if was done well I think I would be interested.

Gibson
01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Not sure I understand this either...especially given most newer full-frame camera have a crop body option anyway.

The only appeal I could potentially see would be for Nikon to manufacture one or two "bodies" but sell their whole of cameras just through sensors.

Using the current lineup as an example, the D3100 all the way to the D700 would be a single body but you go and buy a sensor that fits your needs rather than a whole camera. D3 would maybe be a separate thing all together with the integrated battery grip.

But I carry around two, sometimes three cameras with me all day, and I don't really mind. D300 w/ wide angle and flash on one shoulder, D3 with 70-200 on the other.

Mitsu3000gt
01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
Not sure I understand this either...especially given most newer full-frame camera have a crop body option anyway.

There is WAY more pixel density in a 12-16MP DX sensor than crop mode on a D3/D3s/D700. It helps with fine details and of course cropping. A FF camera in DX mode doesn't really compare with today's DX sensors...the D3X comes close though at 10.5MP. Basically the result is the same whether you just crop the FF image of a FX camera or shoot in DX mode. Most people use DX mode to get higher frame rates.

blitz
01-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
Using the current lineup as an example, the D3100 all the way to the D700 would be a single body but you go and buy a sensor that fits your needs rather than a whole camera. D3 would maybe be a separate thing all together with the integrated battery grip.

Except for viewfinder, AF, metering etc differences between bodies.

I think this is just one of those patents that will sit there for years with no associated product.

Unless this relates to a Nikon Medium Format camera system.

Bukka
01-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Maybe they did it just to have the patent first?

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Bukka
Maybe they did it just to have the patent first?

A lot of that goes on in the camera industry. I've seen some pretty outlandish patents haha.

I think any time the "idea team" or whatever gets an idea, they just file it.