PDA

View Full Version : Lamborghini sold at discount as Ottawa plays used-car salesman

rob the knob
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Lamborghini sold at discount as Ottawa plays used-car salesman
DANIEL LEBLANC
OTTAWA— From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jan. 07, 2011 5:22PM EST
Last updated Friday, Jan. 07, 2011 7:06PM EST
25 comments
Email
Print/LicenseDecrease text sizeIncrease text size
Maybe it was the lack of a CD player and the malfunctioning air-conditioning system. Or the stone chips on the front bumper that came with the 88,000 kilometers on the clicker. Unless it was the car’s shady past: seized by the Canada Revenue Agency as part of a tax settlement.

In any event, the federal government has auctioned off a 1987 Lamborghini Countach 5000 QV at the relative bargain price of $63,333, or almost $7,000 less than the initial minimum bid.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY
The world's fastest sports cars are built here

PHOTOS
Lamborghini sports cars: 1964–2011

VIDEO
Visit the Lamborghini factory
The sticker price on the car when it was new was about $180,000, and the government tried to sell it last year with a minimum bid of $70,000.

After no one expressed any interest, the minimum price went down to $58,000, and Ottawa finally found a buyer on its online auction system this week.

The black, two-door coupe with a V12 Bosch K-Jetronic fuel-injection engine will bring joy to its new owner as it zips down the highway at up to 300 km/h. In addition, the government boasted in its sales brochure that it had changed the car’s battery and fuel lines, and topped up all the fluids.

“Whoever bought it got a good deal, for sure,” said Glen Kohut, president of the Lamborghini Club of Canada.

Still, Mr. Kohut said the new owner will likely have to spend about $20,000 “to bring it up to snuff,” at which point the Italian speedster could be worth up to $100,000. The air conditioning needs servicing, the tires have to be replaced, and small dents on the front fender and cracks on the radiator intake ducts need to be fixed. In addition, the new owner might want to replace the cassette player with a more modern sound system.

“They’re nice cars if they’re in good shape,” Mr. Kohut said.

The Lamborghini was likely the first such car to be auctioned off by Crown Assets Distribution (CAD), the agency that sells things like used computers and seized goods for other federal agencies. CAD is currently auctioning off everything from a $2,500 white gold pendant to excess gun holsters from Correctional Services Canada.

While CAD has sold at least one Ferrari in the past, other vehicles on offer are run-of-the-mill pickups, cars and minivans, including a 1994 Chevrolet Astro that will go to anyone willing to offer $175.

CAD is administered by the Department of Public Works and Government Services Canada. In the matter of the Lamborghini, it was acting on behalf of the Canada Revenue Agency, which could not provide further details on the events that led to the car’s seizure, or the identity of the new owner.

Jetta-2.0
01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
thats fucked up lol good for the new owner tho:thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
If you check ebay, that sounds about right, given the fact it needs SO much work, $66k + 20k = the final $88k, of which is fair market value for it.. You can get an early 90's Diablo now for around 90-100k. :dunno:

slick2404
01-07-2011, 08:20 PM
http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=ach-shop&vndsld=1&srchtype=&so=DESC&sf=ferm-clos&lci=&sr=1&str=1&ltnf=1&lcn=204019&lct=L#topOfCADC

zakizdaman
01-07-2011, 08:47 PM
i take that astro van for 175 buckx

garnet
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
this car was at $75K asking, but finally lowered after several no buys
a couple of local lambo club guys checked out the car,
they figured even $58K was borderline asking price
as it was only in "fair" condition, over spray present under the front and nose (indicating previous accident damage), needed some interior work done, needed tires, came without any service history, and was in need of a major maintenance

adidas
01-08-2011, 02:40 AM
upgrade the sound system? wtf?!

who needs music when u got an v12 engine behind u!

M.alex
01-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Doesn't seem like that great a deal once you factor in the shape it's in, plus the mileage. Still, countach is one my favorites :drool:

Isaiah
01-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Used and abused. It looks like a haggard old prostitute.

CUG
01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Doesn't seem like that great a deal once you factor in the shape it's in, plus the mileage. Still, countach is one my favorites :drool: Yeah, that seems like it needs a ton of refreshing. I never liked those cars. 80's cars in general look like total shit in my opinion.

01RedDX
01-08-2011, 08:07 PM

sputnik
01-09-2011, 10:28 AM
That thing looks seriously beat up.

Body crack and major wear everywhere.

No thanks.

InRich
01-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't have purchased it either. ebay has some serious cars for prices like that, plus add a little more and your looking at seriously, nearly new super cars. I think I might be buying something sometime next year.

911fever
01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
yuck seriously