PDA

View Full Version : Evo prices...

HiTempguy1
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Discuss. I always tend to look at the new cars that are posted by various board advertisers, but holy shit, $50+k for a friekin' evo?! You can buy a ballin' BMW for that much (literally, a BMW 335 xdrive will cost the same amount). Hell, a fully loaded Sporttech package STi with tons of dealer installed options (=rape) is only $45k msrp.

Remember the days when an Evo was a regular family sedan with a monster motor and awd? LOL!

Phenix
01-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Ya that price is retarded. For daily driving I would take the full load sti over the evo any day. The price is way better and more comfortable

heavyD
01-08-2011, 12:56 PM
You are talking about a fully decked out MR. You can get GSR's closer to $40k but yes Mitsubishi Canada has dropped the ball on EVO pricing as the STI is cheaper there's no doubt about. Pricing isn't exactly apples to apples as the 2011 STI is nearly the same car that Subaru has been selling here since 2004 and the EVO has a much more sophisticated AWD system, transmission (TC-SST), and engine. STI is more of a daily driver while EVO is more of a performance car. Just take a look at the latest C&D magazine lightning lap and you will see the STI isn't really in the same league as the EVO performance-wise. Also with the EVO you don't have to worry about the when your engine is going to blow or oil consumption.

Also I wouldn't call a 335 a ballin car lol.

PD77
01-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
You are talking about a fully decked out MR. You can get GSR's closer to $40k but yes Mitsubishi Canada has dropped the ball on EVO pricing as the STI is cheaper there's no doubt about. STI is more of a daily driver while EVO is more of a performance car. Just take a look at the latest C&D magazine lightning lap and you will see the STI isn't really in the same league as the EVO performance-wise. Also with the EVO you don't have to worry about the when your engine is going to blow or oil consumption.

Also I wouldn't call a 335 a ballin car lol.

I haven't heard much about the '10 and '11 STi's failing...I guess you haven't been posting as much ;)

Seriously though, is it still an issue? Not being in a Subaru anymore I am kind of out of the loop.

heavyD
01-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Double post. Damn cell phones.

heavyD
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PD77

I haven't heard much about the '10 and '11 STi's failing...I guess you haven't been posting as much ;)

Seriously though, is it still an issue? Not being in a Subaru anymore I am kind of out of the loop.

Oil consumption has always been an issue and the engine is delicate. Next gen will get an all new engine which is why most woul be better to wait rather than buy a 2011 as once the new models come out the current gen cars will be the least desirable of all generations as the 2005-2007 models were more performance focussed.

Redlyne_mr2
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Hmm.. You've got me thinking, would be cool to see evo mr vs 335i x drive with M sport package.

HiTempguy1
01-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Hmm.. You've got me thinking, would be cool to see evo mr vs 335i x drive with M sport package.

I've been trying to find this comparison. Might as well throw the S4 in there for good measure, along with the STi. Would be a sick comparo.

And a brand new 335i isn't a ballin' car? Well fuck-me-sideways 89coupe, go drop a couple bills on lunch. The median salary in Alberta is ~$50k for 2011. Your telling me that the average person can afford to go buy a BMW (of any kind besides a mini). I'd consider anybody who can afford to buy a brand new fully loaded beamer like that to be well off. For me at the moment, that's currently a pipe dream with student debt.

Redlined_8000
01-08-2011, 01:48 PM
The thing that is bugging me about the evo is the difference between the MR and GSR.

GSR is 5speed :thumbsdow And you got a shitty ass interior, with few options.

MR is a 6 speed trip-tronic :thumbsdow but you get full interior and everything for like 8k more.

What I want is a 6 speed manual with a nice interior....
Ive heard from my friend that the GSR interior is just cheap crap.

Seriously I would rather get a fully loaded STI sedan with a 6 speed for around 45k out the door if i was deciding between the two.

HiSpec
01-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
The thing that is bugging me about the evo is the difference between the MR and GSR.

MR is a 6 speed trip-tronic :thumbsdow but you get full interior and everything for like 8k more.

Seriously I would rather get a fully loaded STI sedan with a 6 speed for around 45k out the door if i was deciding between the two.

Isn't GSR faster then MR?

tentacles
01-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Remember the days when an Evo was a regular family sedan with a monster motor and awd? LOL! [/B]

No I don't? What day was that? :confused:

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=1&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t99064&v=t100438&v=t100228&v=t99884

Evo MR has always been about the same price as the 3 series with the biggest engine below the M3. Nothing's changed.

cisco88
01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
My 2 cents.

I've owned a 335, 535, and now a X5d for the wife. The N54 is an awesome engine, but the HPFP issue has claimed me a few times.

I bought a '10 Evo GSR in October. Why? Performance. That's it. When I want a nice interior I'll drive the BMW. A BMW is a pig when it comes to weight. And modding a bimmer is a pain in the ass. I ran a JB in my 335 and 535 and cleared codes all the time. My Cobb makes it easier to flash a map and then go back to stock. Plus, there are more parts for the EVO that make it a dream for me.

I considered an STI, but I see a lot of them on the roads.

EVO FTW. But if money is an issue then to each there own. Get a bimmer for the status.

01RedDX
01-08-2011, 03:02 PM

anschutz_92
01-08-2011, 03:14 PM
The thing that is bugging me about the Impreza is the difference between the WRX STi and WRX.

WRX is 5speed :thumbsdow And you got a shitty ass interior, with few options.

WRX STi is a 6 speed but you still get shitty ass interior for like 8k more.

Ive heard from my friend that Subaru interior is just cheap crap.

Seriously I would rather get a fully loaded Audi sedan with a 6 speed for around 75k out the door

The subaru interiors are not nice. The Mitsubishi interiors are not nice. You guys need to lessen your expectations, they can't offer a "performance" car with nice interior for ~40k because now your 40k vehicle is pushed up to 50k. An 80k z06 has a poor interior as well, yet you hardly hear people bitching about them.

Compared to a 10 year old civic the a new base model lancer has a better interior. Car interiors have improved tremendously the last couple years. Now a 25k Hyundai has an interior on par or better than that of a Mercedes or BMW of 10 years ago.

Redlined_8000
01-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92

The subaru interiors are not nice. The Mitsubishi interiors are not nice. You guys need to lessen your expectations, they can't offer a "performance" car with nice interior for ~40k because now your 40k vehicle is pushed up to 50k. An 80k z06 has a poor interior as well, yet you hardly hear people bitching about them.

Compared to a 10 year old civic the a new base model lancer has a better interior. Car interiors have improved tremendously the last couple years. Now a 25k Hyundai has an interior on par or better than that of a Mercedes or BMW of 10 years ago.

I know what you mean. I was bugged by the fact you cant get a MR interior in the GSR. I personally dont like the paddle shifters.

And ya defiantly if you buy a Z06, I wouldnt expect luxury, its a true sports car and its all about the driving experience (which I agree it should be).

heavyD
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Subaru interiors are crap just like Mitsubishi. Spend some time in one rather than just assume it's nice because of its looks. This is the best quote I've seen so far in regards to the STI interior and it came from an STI owner at NASIOC;

The new interior is like a chick that looks good from a distance but as you get closer you realize it's actually a dude.

The EVO interior actually rattles less as Impreza's really suffer from annoying buzzing from the door speakers and the hatches have almost incurable rattling.

03ozwhip
01-08-2011, 03:45 PM
really though the fact is people are still buying it at those prices. x evo x sells them almost daily it seems so it really doesnt matter if you guys think that the price is too high, mitsu doesnt care.

heavyD
01-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
really though the fact is people are still buying it at those prices. x evo x sells them almost daily it seems so it really doesnt matter if you guys think that the price is too high, mitsu doesnt care.

They could sell more though if they made a proper market adjustment. Sure they will sell EVO's to the people that want to have the best performance for the money and the modding potential but for the people that want to use it for daily driving and occasional spirited use that are on the fence between EVO and STI they aren't doing themselves any favours. IMO they should have brought the SE to Canada but they probably were afraid of cannibalizing MR sales. If that's the case then they should know they are overpricing the MR in the first place.

HiTempguy1
01-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by cisco88
A BMW is a pig when it comes to weight.

A 335i xdrive weighs the same as an Evo X...

But if money is an issue then to each there own. Get a bimmer for the status.

Its not really about money being an issue, its simply about what you get for your dollar (you might not understand that, considering you own over $100,000 worth of cars lol). A car that rides nice, is known to handle well, and yes, comes with a bit of status I can understand for $50k. For a car that for all purposes is no faster/better performance wise, but misses out on the rest of it, it doesn't make sense unless you want to modify it (which apparently you do).

carzcraz
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Subaru interiors are crap just like Mitsubishi. Spend some time in one rather than just assume it's nice because of its looks. This is the best quote I've seen so far in regards to the STI interior and it came from an STI owner at NASIOC;

The EVO interior actually rattles less as Impreza's really suffer from annoying buzzing from the door speakers and the hatches have almost incurable rattling.

heavyD is bang on...My husband and I own both and have had the past 3 months to compare the two. We have also owned two newer gen BMW's (3 and 5 series)....our 5 was traded in for his STi a year ago.

IMO, the current STi's interior is even inferior to our old WRX of 2003. The door panels are hollow and can actually push in when you put weight on it, the plastic scuffs VERY easily, the glove box does not line up and the silver trim paint is easily scratched.

By no means am I saying that my Evo's interior is superior, they are both pretty plasticky compared to our past BMW's and even my old S2000.

BMW's are loaded with luxury amenities but are quite restricted in terms of modifications. Evo's and STi's seem built to be a lot more performance oriented but lack many of the luxuries as a result. How you wish to spend your money depends on what you are seeking in a car and what stage you are in your life. We personally do not consider BMW's balling nor care for the status and do not plan to own a third one with the luck that we've had with them...however, I will not deny that not many cars drive quite like them :thumbsup:

cisco88
01-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Do people buy them for other reasons?:confused:

Safety, service.......nawh your right. Status symbol.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

A 335i xdrive weighs the same as an Evo X...

Its not really about money being an issue, its simply about what you get for your dollar (you might not understand that, considering you own over $100,000 worth of cars lol). A car that rides nice, is known to handle well, and yes, comes with a bit of status I can understand for $50k. For a car that for all purposes is no faster/better performance wise, but misses out on the rest of it, it doesn't make sense unless you want to modify it (which apparently you do).

The 335i w/ xdrive is 150kg heavier (Evo X=1600kg 335xi=1750kg). To me that's a lot. The Evo is my DD as well as my track car.

Like any halo car for a manufacturer price isn't dictated by the market. The 3 series is the best selling line for BMW. How many 3 series cars do you see and how many M3's do you see? Same as how many Lancer's versus Evo's. Subbie's are going to be the same. Evo X is a halo car; the 335i is to BMW what an Lancer is to Mitsubishi.

In the end of the day it comes to, do you want it? If not, get your bimmer and be happy! Either way your choices are great and you shouldn't be dissapointed.

black13
01-08-2011, 06:27 PM
yea as much as I love the Evo, with that price range I'd look at alot of other cars before thinking of one.

Are they at least fairly reliable? any major problems with the early years?

Chandler_Racing
01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
EVO's are priced ridiculous.

When I went to buy one, they wanted 50K and offered a 7.9% lease rate.... :nut:

I went and bought an STi instead.

cisco88
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Ya, rates are pretty stupid. Mitsubishi doesn't have their own financing arm to go to so they have to deal with the banks. Paying cash helps.

Aleks
01-08-2011, 08:33 PM

I've been trying to find this comparison. Might as well throw the S4 in there for good measure, along with the STi. Would be a sick comparo.

Here is an old 2008 comparo.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0804_2008_bmw_335xi/index.html

I did because I prefered the 325i to a new WRX :burnout:

heavyD
01-09-2011, 12:46 PM

Mitsubishi financing rates are always lower than Subaru's. Always. Not sure about leasing but IMO the EVO is not a car that should be leased unless you plan on keeping it stock which is a waste.

max_boost
01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Evo's are definitely not cheap.

Mitsu doesn't want you to lease and their rates reflect that. Their finance rates are awesome though. Lower than prime! haha

For a daily driver I think the Ralliart does really well. AWD, dual clutch transmission, good power, fold down rear seats and trunk space. Really depends on your needs though.

danno
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
maybe when the r20 gets here it will get some sales based on its awd, nice interior, and modding. it's going to be slower then the evo and sti, but it will have the better interior. i bet the price will be 40-42k for the r20. i was thinking about looking at the sti but i like a good interior.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM

My dad bought his Z4M and 135i to drive them, including tracking them and road trips.

Chandler_Racing
01-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Mitsubishi financing rates are always lower than Subaru's. Always. Not sure about leasing but IMO the EVO is not a car that should be leased unless you plan on keeping it stock which is a waste.

I would never finance an EVO or STi.

My payments on the STi are $550 tax in, the EVO they wanted $778.

No thanks.

HiTempguy1
01-09-2011, 02:31 PM

The Evo is my DD as well as my track car.

I'm not arguing that the Evo would make a better car if you were focused on going fast. I'd know a thing or two about that:

YdQqQ_mdQ4o

I'm just saying that the performance/dollar ratio doesn't add up :dunno: And then the luxury/dollar doesn't add up either.

Originally posted by tentacles

No I don't? What day was that? :confused:

I don't know, lets say the Evo 6 and older? The Evo 8/9/10 weren't the first evo's ya know ;)

tentacles
01-09-2011, 03:03 PM

I'm not arguing that the Evo would make a better car if you were focused on going fast. I'd know a thing or two about that:

YdQqQ_mdQ4o

I'm just saying that the performance/dollar ratio doesn't add up :dunno: And then the luxury/dollar doesn't add up either.

I don't know, lets say the Evo 6 and older? The Evo 8/9/10 weren't the first evo's ya know ;)

Well since they weren't sold here I don't even know how that's relevant to the Canadian price of the Evo X versus the Canadian prices for BMWs, I guess you better tell us how much they cost versus the equivalent BMW at the time in Japan?

heavyD
01-09-2011, 04:36 PM

No thanks.

Still I pay less than $550 on my EVO and I'm at least going to have ownership of it. Not sure why anyone would pay over $500/month to lease a Subaru or Mitsubishi car. Unless you can write it off for business use it seems like a waste of money.

01RedDX
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Chandler_Racing
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Still I pay less than $550 on my EVO and I'm at least going to have ownership of it. Not sure why anyone would pay over $500/month to lease a Subaru or Mitsubishi car. Unless you can write it off for business use it seems like a waste of money.

Difference is you probably have some lease/finance to eternity....

Where as I will be dropping my car off in 3 years and picking up a new one.

heavyD
01-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Difference is you probably have some lease/finance to eternity....

Where as I will be dropping my car off in 3 years and picking up a new one.

That's fine but when you are dropping off your STI in three years to lock yourself into another three year term of $550 or more per month. I will own my EVO and can put +$500/month into something else. I love cars but they are the biggest money pit most people will encounter in their lives.

Chandler_Racing
01-09-2011, 05:12 PM

That's fine but maybe when you are picking up your new car in three years I will own my EVO and can put $500/month into something else. I love cars but they are the biggest money pit most people will encounter in their lives.

Well if owning a depreciating asset is your thing, by all means.

By the way, OTD price on the MR is $53,398.00. Even if you got it for $50,000 that would mean payments $694 on a 72month term! That's assuming 0% APR.

To have the car paid off in 3 years, the payments would be $1,388.88....

JordanAndrew
01-09-2011, 05:15 PM

By the way, OTD price on the MR is $53,398.00. Even if you got it for $50,000 that would mean payments $694 on a 72month term! That's assuming 0% APR.

To have the car paid off in 3 years, the payments would be $1,388.88....

Unless he put a good chunk for a down payment. ;)

Chandler_Racing
01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Unless he put a good chunk for a down payment. ;)

Time value of money says that would be a stupid idea.

heavyD
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM

I think you are missing the point in that I don't go through my life making car payments where as you do. There's nothing wrong with owning a depreciating asset if you hold on to it and it prevents you from making payments on another depreciating asset.;)

heavyD
01-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Time value of money says that would be a stupid idea.

You spend more money on cars than I do. I don't understand why it's stupid when I am investing money that you use to continually rent cars. A lot of people lease because they can get new cars on the cheap but you aren't saving any money leasing an STI at those monthly payments.

bastardchild
01-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Leasing car for "status" = Epic Fail.

Chandler_Racing
01-09-2011, 05:42 PM

I think you are missing the point in that I don't go through my life making car payments where as you do. There's nothing wrong with owning a depreciating asset if you hold on to it and it prevents you from making payments on another depreciating asset.;)

I'll bet you in 5 years you will have either traded or sold your car.

You're trying to tell me you will be in your rocker on the front porch telling your grand children how much you saved financing your MR?

Be honest with yourself.

max_boost
01-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by danno
maybe when the r20 gets here it will get some sales based on its awd, nice interior, and modding. it's going to be slower then the evo and sti, but it will have the better interior. i bet the price will be 40-42k for the r20. i was thinking about looking at the sti but i like a good interior.

But no DSG! DSG FTMFW!!!

No thanks.

Well whatever payment works in your structure of expenses I guess.

No doubt leasing a STi > EVO because of Evo's stupid interest rate.

I would be happy with either car so ultimately it's a #'s game.

There's really no point arguing the merits of leasing/financing/cash buyout/depreciating assets etc. etc. lol

RY213
01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
The argument about car payments and a car being a depreciating asset is stupid IMO. I am a car guy and to me $500/mo payment to drive a nice car is worth it. Some people are into food and spend that on expensive restaurants, others like to drink and some people like going on vacations. At least I'm not completely throwing money away. I don't look at owning a car like it's an investment. It's a luxury and something fun.

max_boost
01-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by RY213
The argument about car payments and a car being a depreciating asset is stupid IMO. I am a car guy and to me $500/mo payment to drive a nice car is worth it. Some people are into food and spend that on expensive restaurants, others like to drink and some people like going on vacations. At least I'm not completely throwing money away. I don't look at owning a car like it's an investment. It's a luxury and something fun.

Ya for sure!

Sums it up nicely.

psycoticclown
01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by RY213

:werd:

I'll dump money into my car rather then spend 10k on travelling Europe, just different priorities.

georgemagana
01-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Yeah im that friend and its kinda gay to pay 53 000 for a car that looks like that inside considering that my 7 years old car is WAY nicer inside! and Then if you talk about a 370z or new RX8, the interior of the evo is a total joke.
And its either 5 speed with the gay package or nice car but with paddles shifters, none work for me. I would totally understand and be willing to pay the us price for the evo, $35 000 but $53 000 here for the same car with less options and colours available? Sounds like a US trip is the best idea :)

danno
01-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

But no DSG! DSG FTMFW!!!

i here ya, if i was to get it i'd go dsg if i could.

heavyD
01-10-2011, 10:12 AM

I'll bet you in 5 years you will have either traded or sold your car.

You're trying to tell me you will be in your rocker on the front porch telling your grand children how much you saved financing your MR?

Be honest with yourself.

I am honest with myself. I own a 2000 sq/ft house, multiple vehicles, family with multiple kids, etc. I'm just not into renting cars for over $500/month as I have other priorities. I just may own my EVO in five years as I've never really been much of a new car guy. Financing gives me that flexibility in that I can decide I don't want to make monthly payments forever and still have a car to drive since I now own it. Worst thing I ever did in my life was renting the same place for six years while I was a student essentially paying someone elses mortgage. I'm just not going to put $500/month into anything that I won't own. I have no problem if you have decided that you only want to drive new cars and are fine with always making big payments. That's your perogative but I just go back to my initial statement that leasing is only effective when you are making lower payments than what you would financing the same car.

94boosted
01-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Sure they will sell EVO's to the people that want to have the best performance for the money

That's arguable for sure, for $55k I'd say there are cars that offer better Performance/Money i.e. Mustang GT 5.0, 335i, 370Z...

heavyD
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

That's arguable for sure, for $55k I'd say there are cars that offer better Performance/Money i.e. Mustang GT 5.0, 335i, 370Z...

370Z does not offer better performance nor does the 335i. The Mustang GT does but it's due to the +100 hp advantage not chassis tuning. Also who are these suckers paying $55k for EVO's?

94boosted
01-10-2011, 01:39 PM

370Z does not offer better performance nor does the 335i. The Mustang GT does but it's due to the +100 hp advantage not chassis tuning. Also who are these suckers paying $55k for EVO's?

They both (370 & 335) seem to be quicker around a track than the MR, I'd say that's better performance. A decently equipped MR can have an out the door price close to 55k depending on the incentives being offered at the time.

Don't get me wrong I really like the EVO I think it's a fantastic car but if I were to spend 50-55k and all I wanted was all out performance then there are better "Performance/Dollar" cars out there. Hell I've heard of GT500's squeaking out the door for under 55k (just barely).

heavyD
01-10-2011, 02:24 PM
You kind of have to throw out any numbers form 08 EVO's because of the horrible tune that they initially came with. The 2010 SE represents more or less the same performance you will get from any 2011 EVO. You can still get a GSR for under $45 and get the same performance.

C4S
01-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Get a bimmer for the status.

Not 1 series, 3 series or X series .. but 5, 6 and 7.

;)

Onassis
01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Different strokes for different folks

/end thread