PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new gym in the sait area

alpha
01-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I've recently moved to the parkdale area (basically at crowchild and memorial) from the south and need to find a new gym closer to me, I used to work out at trico and really liked how big it was and how relatively dead it is there for the most part. the type of people there was a nice perk too.

where is a good place to go that has dumbbells that go up to 100 at least, has squat racks, and isnt hotter than hell on most days?

Redlined_8000
01-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Maybe check out http://www.remingtonsgym.com/

Its on 16th. Ive Never been, but heard good things.

alpha
01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
yeah I've heard about that place but cant get much info on it, even after an unreplied-to email I sent to them. Anyone have any info on it?

lint
01-08-2011, 09:47 PM
pm Oz-, he's a member there.

here's their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=84552762812

know1edge
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
i used to go there, as far as i remember, no squat rack but 2 power cages. there's a lot of fans placed around the gym.

alpha
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
power rack is even better, do they get upset when you arent delicate with weights on deadlift?

liquidboi69
01-08-2011, 10:38 PM
^ My guess is no...since the gym's a powerlifting dungeon with boards and chalk all over the place (at least when I dropped in)

Of course to a limit...try not to be a douche about it.

alpha
01-09-2011, 11:57 AM
haha well I dont expect to lift and drop like its a competition, but if I make quick contact with the ground I dont want gym attendants coming over and giving me the bill lumberg:

"yeahhhh... I noticed you're making noise with the weights, can I get you to make less noise, actually no noise please :) as you can see the sign says to not make noise with the weights :), yeahhh thaaankss"

J-hop
01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
i've never been to a world health (so I don't know if it would fit your taste), but if its still there, there is one in the lower level of north hill mall.

Unknown303
01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
i've never been to a world health (so I don't know if it would fit your taste), but if its still there, there is one in the lower level of north hill mall.

I used to go to that one. It's pretty decent but you don't get to see the outdoors while working out which I like for some reason. It has all the standard equipment that anyone would want to use so really nothing wrong with the place.

alpha
01-09-2011, 04:13 PM
did you find that world health was a high pressure sales environment?

swak
01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
If you're a true beyond baller...
The Calgary Winter Club is just up 14th street.
Only ~$30,000 to join.

Oz-
01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
If you are serious about lifting, go to Remington's. There are no contracts but will require you to pay for the year up front - $450 last time I checked. However, you get to use chalk, you are lifting in a gym with some of the strongest guys in Calgary. Technique recommendations and spots are always available.

If you deadlift in the basement, don't worry about dropping the weights. Just don't wreck them that is all.

Otherwise, go to a commercial gym.

Cos
01-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I used to go to that one. It's pretty decent but you don't get to see the outdoors while working out which I like for some reason. It has all the standard equipment that anyone would want to use so really nothing wrong with the place.

I found it really busy there. That was 4 years ago though.

Unknown303
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by alpha
did you find that world health was a high pressure sales environment?

I found that the Northhill one was virtually no pressure. Pretty casual place to go.

Now the sunridge one. They are super friendly and chatty. Haven't figured out if it's to sell or they are just being nice.

Originally posted by Cos

I found it really busy there. That was 4 years ago though.

It was busy during the standard peak hours but after that it was damn near a ghost town.

lint
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by swak
If you're a true beyond baller...
The Calgary Winter Club is just up 14th street.
Only ~$30,000 to join.
2 yr waiting list

riander5
01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm a member, and if you are just looking for a gym, skip the winterclub.

If you have a family and want an unreal facility, then look into it. Nice pool(s), steam rooms, unreal squash tennis and badminton facilities, bowling alley, good food...

The gym is decent. Really nice equipment, not a ton of it. No lifting platforms and one ancient cage haha. Nice cardio equipment. Lousy spin class room. But I think they are expanding the gym again and getting their own indoor track!

Cos
01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by lint

2 yr waiting list

It was higher than that last time I checked. Was 9 years and a $10k a year with the minimal club access.

OP what about the YMCA in Eau Claire? I find the Y's to be great places to go.

lint
01-09-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.calgarywinterclub.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=312022&ssid=201334&vnf=1

currently 3 years

Cos
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by lint
http://www.calgarywinterclub.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=312022&ssid=201334&vnf=1

currently 3 years

Nice went down a lot in the last two years. I havent looked into it since 2007 I think.

Good time to get in if you can. I know one guy who is paranoid to lose his membership so he doesnt go but still pays it. Crazy

J-hop
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by riander5
I'm a member, and if you are just looking for a gym, skip the winterclub.

If you have a family and want an unreal facility, then look into it. Nice pool(s), steam rooms, unreal squash tennis and badminton facilities, bowling alley, good food...

The gym is decent. Really nice equipment, not a ton of it. No lifting platforms and one ancient cage haha. Nice cardio equipment. Lousy spin class room. But I think they are expanding the gym again and getting their own indoor track!

yea the winter club is nice, unfortunately IMO it is not nice for the amount you are paying, everything feels kinda dated there and you'd expect for how much you pay a year that the facility would be top notch.

As far as I know they are still using old school metal plate dumbbells, and I was noticing the last time I was there while I was on one of the machines that it stunk like the sweat hadn't been cleaned off it in years (came off on my clothes).

For all around facilities for a family its pretty decent, just not worth the money IMO.

gqmw
01-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Nice went down a lot in the last two years. I havent looked into it since 2007 I think.

Good time to get in if you can. I know one guy who is paranoid to lose his membership so he doesnt go but still pays it. Crazy

Yeah a ton of people can't afford to continue paying for it, but they still do cause they don't wanna lose it.

I thought if you put down the 35k or whatever, you can have immediate "limited" access?

Cos
01-09-2011, 04:54 PM

yea the winter club is nice, unfortunately IMO it is not nice for the amount you are paying, everything feels kinda dated there and you'd expect for how much you pay a year that the facility would be top notch.

Maybe it is low brow because we grew up in there :rofl:

Originally posted by gqmw

Yeah a ton of people can't afford to continue paying for it, but they still do cause they don't wanna lose it.

I thought if you put down the 35k or whatever, you can have immediate "limited" access?

I dont know as I have never gone with my own membership and never went in with limited access. I THINK that limited access is for the pool, dining room, and work out room. I dont think you can use the squash, tennis, bowling, or ice (skating/curling) area.

lint
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM

As far as I know they are still using old school metal plate dumbbells, and I was noticing the last time I was there while I was on one of the machines that it stunk like the sweat hadn't been cleaned off it in years (came off on my clothes).

For all around facilities for a family its pretty decent, just not worth the money IMO.

places like the winter club, and glencoe are all about networking. that's what you're paying for. the gym is only a small part of it

J-hop
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
yea, don't get me wrong, 20 years ago that would have been a pretty prestigious well equipped club, but now some of the more or less "public" clubs make the winterclub look oldschool.

C_Dave45
01-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
^ My guess is no...since the gym's a powerlifting dungeon with boards and chalk all over the place (at least when I dropped in)

Speaking of which...where do you guys get your chalk? I briefly looked in Sportcheck and Crappy tire. Preferably way down south here.

swak
01-09-2011, 06:37 PM
yea, don't get me wrong, 20 years ago that would have been a pretty prestigious well equipped club, but now some of the more or less "public" clubs make the winterclub look oldschool.

You a member?

I work out there, and yes parts of the place are definitely dated. (but its not a brand new building either)
HUGE expansions to be done in 2012 though which is gonna make the place worth every dollar, IMO.

But then you look at places like the sinks in the lockerrooms, the badminton courts, the cafeteria area, and little details everywhere you can tell its top notch.

lint
01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Speaking of which...where do you guys get your chalk? I briefly looked in Sportcheck and Crappy tire. Preferably way down south here.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442621280&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302690857

C_Dave45
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
AH! Didn't think of MEC. Of course! Thanks Lint.

Oz-
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
AH! Didn't think of MEC. Of course! Thanks Lint.

Get an old tupperware thing to keep the chalk in. So you can at least contain it from going everywhere in your basement.

lint
01-09-2011, 07:50 PM
the one in my link comes in its own closable bucket

alpha
01-09-2011, 08:38 PM
:hijack: haha

I stopped by the WHC in northhill mall and was a little disappointed to see that you have to tour through the mall to get to the entrance and that the drop in fee is $20. you cant get any info on memberships or fee's without sitting down with a rep.

also a side note, the staff seemed like they didnt give a shit about the customers, between myself and watching how the treated people coming in with memberships, they acted like they are superior to everyone they interacted with.

decided to try another gym, and went to golds northland, and it girl at the front didnt seem to have much information, but was at least friendly. It seemed like they have a ton of diverse machines that are meant for isolation and specific targeting but the majority of them I have never seen or used so it was a bit of a labyrinth of metal for me. the deadlift racks were a bit of a let down since the bar cannot go any lower than a foot and a bit above the ground, so the rep is kinda half done for you haha. I didnt see many douches there like other beyonders have said. but I DID however notice a few cases of severe B.O. from time to time haha bad enough that I would get up and move if they sat at the bench next to me. drop in rate is about $16 too btw.

thought I would share my experiences with you guys, I think I might give remingtons a try tomorrow night, I'll post what I think afterward :)

lint
01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
have you considered SAIT or UofC?

alpha
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I am quite picky with gyms, but I would put the sait gym at the bottom of the totem, for size, the arrogant group of guys that work out there, and the intense heat and crowding.

I think I will probably go for golds northland, if remingtons doesnt pan out.

signature7
01-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Winterclub is starting their expansion in February that will take about 18 months to complete the first phase. Board of directors also approved an entrance fee increase, effective immediately at the price of 35,000 dollars. Regardless if you apply for the social club or other wise (wanting to use gym etc), it will be 35,000 dollars entrance fee.

Members will be put on the waitlist (around 2-3 years), which will restrict them to certain amenities such as free daycare ( I think) and peak hour usage.

Keep in mind, annual fees are significantly different depending on what kind of member you fall under, and how long you've been a member.

ddduke
01-12-2011, 01:35 AM
If you have easy access to crowchild then I'd say try Pro-Bodies in Marda Loop. I moved here a few weeks ago and the traffic gets so bad on Crowchild going to northland's golds I just said fuck it and got a second membership that's convenient for me.

The equipment is a little dated, but it's usually preatty dead in there. I prepaid 6 months upfront and it ended up costing me 35/month + 20 for a card which is pretty cheap. If you're serious about lifting they have everything you need in a super chill atmosphere and at a great price.

Northlands is really good too and I absolutely love it there. But it gets so busy in there that there's almost always a line and the traffic north of the memorial exit is just terrible.

alpha
01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
good call ddduke! I'm gonna check it out tonight! do they have a squat rack or power cage? tonight is legs/shoulders

ddduke
01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I know they have a few power cages. I think there's a squat rack too, but I'm not 100% sure (have only been hitting this gym for a week). The nice thing about the half of the gym that this equipment is on is that it's empty because almost noone uses it there.

Drop in isn't bad ($10) and if you tan then they have a pretty crazy deal on that too, only $20/month for unlimited.

alpha
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
well we have a winner! nice one ddduke! that place is perfect for me. and all around cheap too, fees, supps, tanning, CHEAP!
and closer to home than any other ones too.

thanks for all the input guys!

r1_boii
02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
if your looking for fancy ass machines and scared of sweating a bit because your not sitting at room temp, don't even bother trying to workout.

Toma
02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I have a World Health membership, and split my time between the North Hill one and the Macleod trail 24 hour one.

Its not bad, I think $55 a month.

I have no idea about the staff... they treat me good when I need something, but aside from scanning my tag, and the occassional BF measure, I don't need anything from them, so it might be a nod to say hello.

I dunno what all the shit is called, they have 2 squat racks, and 2 cages. 4 benches, 3 inclines, 2 military, but dumbells to 120 only.

No Olympic weight lifting set-up, but the south one seems to be focusing on that quite a bit.

I have not been during peak hours, I usually work out daytime or later evening.

r1_boii
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
that sounds awesome, any gym that has weights a bench and a squat rack is good.

whats even better is not having goofy ass ed hardy kids walking around in there xs shirts pretending there hard and hogging the gym

alpha
03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I dont really care about ed hardy types for the most part, but when they monopolize multiple machines at one time, namely the power cage for bicep curls, that gets frustrating, or when they don't put their weights away for whatever reason, I have come across that a time or 2 at pro bodies.

Now that I have been there for a bit I do miss having newer equipment, and frankly the equipment there would be adequate if they actually maintained it and lubed the mechanisms now and then.

The tanning is pretty much a free-for-all, where you just take any bed you want, they aren't cleaned unless by you, they don't supply towels, just paper towel dispensers in the rooms, and the minutes are pretty much on the honor system, because you simply fill out your card and you input your minutes when you get to the bed you choose. I got a rash the first time I tanned because I didn't realize it was up to me to clean the bed before I got in.

Something worth mentioning to new members, the "$20 unlimited tanning" is misleading, you have to agree to a monthly tanning package including a new lotion every month to get that price, so if you buy your lotion online like I do, you're out of luck.

Like R1boii said, even though its advertised as an "Air conditioned gym" I have found it to be quite warm in there some days, which seems weird since some of those days were when it was -30 outside...

Aside from these things, this gym has a no-nonsense atmosphere, they have the rubber weights that are all the same diameter so can drop them on deads if you want, and nobody gives you shit for it. there is almost always a free bench, and guys are willing to spot you when you ask. The supplements are well priced, and the staff are friendly.

hope this helps anyone that is interested in this gym.