PDA

View Full Version : Need help with audio upgrade in 300C SRT8 and an installer!

Hi-Psi
01-08-2011, 10:46 PM
I would like to start by saying that I have tried searching and although I have found some of the answers I was looking for, I have yet to find answers to some other questions I have.

I'm basically doing a full audio upgrade in my 2006 300C SRT8 with Nav/6CD Changer. It says on the factory sale sheet that it has the 6 speaker setup so as far as I can tell it has an amp but no sub. I took a look and it seems as though I have the 6x9's in the front door instead of 6.5's but I still bought a set of 6.5's just incase they are needed. I'm not upgrading the head unit at this time. I guess what I'm looking for mostly is a nice crisp, clear audio setup with a little bit of bass. Wasn't looking for crazy shake the whole neighborhood bass.

What I bought were the following:

2 Sets - 6"x9" Alpine Type R Speakers (SPR69C)
1 Set - 6.5" Alpine Type R Speakers (SPR17C)
1 - Alpine 500W VPower Mono Amp (MRPM500)
1 - Alpine 300W VPower 4Ch Amp (MRPF300)
1 - Stinger Pro 1000 Watt Amplifier Kit - 4 Gauge (SS1001X)
1 - Stinger Digital Pro Electrolytic Capacitor - 1 Farad (SPC121)
1 - JL 10" W3v3 Subwoofer - 4Ohm (JL10W3V34)
1 - QLOGIC Single 10" Slot Vent Sub Enclosure (10S110SV)
20 - Dynamat Xtreme Speaker Kits (10415) (Bought these instead of the trunk kit as I got a smoking deal (70% off) and figured it might be easier for install in smaller sheets as I found the big sheets of Dynamat a pain in the ass. Since I'm not doing the install though I wonder if it will be a big hassle for the installer?)

What I'm trying to figure out is how I should go about the install of everything and if there's anything I'm missing. I'm not doing any of the install myself as I'm too busy and lazy to do it and I no longer have my friend available who I trusted with all my installs over the past 8 years or so.

When I went into a local shop here in town I ended up talking to one of their installers for a good hour or so and he really seemed to know about these cars and said he would have no problem doing this install but there were a few things he was trying to tell me I needed and I have no idea if these are needed or not.

One of the things he mentioned I would need for proper sound was an EQ6 and when I looked it up all I could come up with was the Phoenix Gold EQ6. He said it had something to do with being able to adjust the sound properly as the stock setup would try to interfere or make it less adjustable or something. This part would run roughly $150-200 if I remember correctly. Total install of everything in the $600-700 range. Does this seem overpriced to anyone else or am I just being crazy? It's been about 5 years since I had a proper audio install so I don't know what would be considered a decent deal anymore.

To be honest I didn't really know what he was talking about but any insite in on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm basically looking to find out what will actually be needed for install of this setup and if there's anything I should be telling the installer. I don't know if I should go back and get the install with this guy or ask around some more or what?

Does anyone have any recommendations for an installer that knows these cars and might be able to help me out?

Some other questions:

Should I be keeping the original 3.5" speaker in the dash or upgrading even though I have the other speakers being amplified?

Should I get rid of the 3.5" dash speakers all together or?

Is there any possible way to add an Ipod jack to the stock Nav instead of having to use an FM transmitter?

Thanks for any help or information, it is greatly appreciated!

Jason

SCHIDER23
01-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I might be able to answer some of your questions,

The reason the installer is suggesting you buy a 6 band Equalizer is because your factory stereo might not have an electronic equalizer in the settings, or the one that is has is probably really basic, so what the EQ does is give you freedom to actually mess around with the bass, treble, mids, highs, frequencies till it sounds perfect with your speaker setup, plus it gives an extra boost to the sound output, is kind of an old school/enthusiast fix, since you want to keep your factory stereo you might not have a choice, but is not mandatory to have one, it was just suggested so you have more control of the output.

The 3.5" speakers are going to be underpowered if you keep them outside the other speakers, the installer will probably tell you that he might have to disconnect them or get you to buy new 3.5" speakers since the factory speakers might be running at a different resistance, but you might get lucky and they are running at the same Ohm rating, I believe most factory speakers run at 1 to 2 ohms, and aftermarket run at 4 ohms, but since those are only used for mids to high you might be able to get away with them been connected in parallel to the front channel.

No there is no other way for your stereo setup to add an Ipod jack, some manufactures have harness that you can add to your factory setup, but in your case there is no such thing.

I can't comment on the price, since I'm not sure what the going rate is at this time.

I don't think you need anything else, maybe a speaker wire harness might be needed, or the amp bypass, the installer should have all the harnesses needed.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Muji
01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
I have had experience with three iPod FM systems and all were not to my level of satisfaction, in your car you would find it brutal. All that cash and work and the shitty FM unit is the weak link. I have nothing to address your other concerns, my experience is limited to these dog FM transmitters. Avoid it 100%, it is intended for when one rents a car I would say.

Hi-Psi
01-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Just to give everyone an update, I've found all my answers on a 300c forum and have even switched my setup around a bit thanks to a beyond member!

Ended up going all JL Audio and am now looking at new decks as the weak link is always the headunit when dealing with these cars unless you go to something like the EQ6 or JL cleansweep, etc and even those aren't going to give me exactly what I want.

The whole setup is going to run me a little more than I had planned but in the end I'm hoping it will all be worth it.

Will post more once I get everything installed and hear how it sounds.

BananaFob
01-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Instead of either the EQ6 or the Cleansweep, consider the Audison Bitone instead.

I was in a similar situation as you when choosing my audio setup and decided on the Cleansweep, but it has its drawbacks such as not having time correction or an equalizer. I replaced it after a year with a Bitone instead and it is a world of difference. If you'd like to hear it in my car or see how it works, feel free to PM me.