PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Garage Door Opener

Skyline_Addict
01-09-2011, 12:22 AM
When it's cold old, like today, my automatic garage door opener tends to have problems opening and closing. It would go part of the way up/down depending if I'm closing or opening, and then either stop or rebound back into a fully opened/closed position.

I didn't watch my garage door fully shut before I exited the garage today after coming home, and it must've bounced back up. Thankfully a kind neighbour let me know my garage door was open a couple hours later.

Obviously I need to get this taken care of (and be careful until I have a sure fix). What's the best way to tackle this problem? It's definetely weather/temperature related as this has not happened when I first moved into the house in the warmer months.

Right now to close/open my garage, I still use the auto mechanism but physically pull down/up on the door to help it move.

benyl
01-09-2011, 12:44 AM
make the reverse sensor less sensitive.

Quizzes
01-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Does it open/close at the exact same spot?
I would suggest checking the railings to see if there's ice build-up in there. Any resistance may cause the door to act the way it does.

AndyL
01-09-2011, 07:35 AM
balance and adjustment... or you have a 70s vintage allstar / stanley.

forces should never be turned up just because.

AndyL
01-09-2011, 10:04 AM
balance and adjustment... or you have a 70s vintage allstar / stanley.

forces should never be turned up just because.

Tik-Tok
01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Whoah, double post 2.5 hours apart? That's gotta be a record :rofl: Don't forget I still have your winding tool Andy.

eblend
01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Had this happen at my place too, increased the downward and upward pressure, and hasn't happened since.

Skyline_Addict
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
hmmm I'll take a look tonight. thanks guys...also realized this is in the wrong forum, sorry!

Kloubek
01-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Weird... on really cold says my keyless entry turns off and is non-responsive.

Damn this cold!

benyl
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Weird... on really cold says my keyless entry turns off and is non-responsive.

Damn this cold!

Try a new battery.

Kloubek
01-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Try a new battery.

Hmm... why did I think it was wired in? I'll try that... thx.

codetrap
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I had a problem with mine, and it turned out it was fogging up the sensor beam from the cold air condensing the moisture in my garage. I cleaned off the beam lenses, and it seems to have solved the issue.

Any good recommendations for track lube?

n1zm0
01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
^ yeah one of the sensors on mine was my problem too for not opening, moisture on the lens, ended up just getting a photocell replacement kit from home depot (which btw wont work with your old other sensor, bot hmust be new for some reason - hard 1 hour lesson).

as for lube, youre not supposed to lube the track according to my manufacturer anyways, only rollers, hinges and bearings. something non-drying so as not to attract dust to wear down the bearings overtime

AndyL
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
forces up past 4 is a problem - can cause door damage (ie panel tearing / bending) and puts you into a liability scenario -as its enough force to cause injury.

tiktok yup itson my todo list lol - long list at the moment :)