PDA

View Full Version : How is 4 Street Southbound in terms of traffic?

jhfreedom
01-09-2011, 03:24 AM
Hello Beyonders,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and are looking forward towards the New Year.

For the most part, I am a big lurker here on the forums but do appreciate the comments that you guys give me whenever I ask questions.

I am currently interested in operating a business around 4 Street & 24th Avenue SW. I am from Edmonton so I am not very familiar with Calgary (All I know is that 17th Ave is very high in traffic and vibrant a lot of the times).

How would this area compare to 17th Ave? Do a lot of people use 4th Street to get into downtown during rush hour?

As far as business goes, how would this location be classified during the morning/lunch time? Is there more traffic going Northbound on 4th Street or more going towards South?

How's Earl Grey Park in terms of popularity? Do a lot of people hang out there during the spring/summer time?

Once again, thanks for you guys' advice and if I do decide to take over the business, I'll definitely try to get something going for us Beyonders.

Take care :goflames:

Mitsu3000gt
01-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Whats the business?

IMO 17th ave sees more people traffic than 4th st but 4th st is still a fairly trendy little area. Parking is shit around the 4th street area too IMO.

Melinda
01-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I really think it would depend on what your business is for that area if it were to succeed. You can't just put any business there and expect success I don't think. Care to share the nature of your business? It might help you get some better feedback.

Tik-Tok
01-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Not as much foot traffic as Kensington, or 17th ave, but still see's a fair share on a nice summers day. I don't go down there often, but when I do there's lots of people around.

speedog
01-09-2011, 11:09 AM
By the sounds of the OP's initial post, it would appear that the OP is looking to operate a restaurant/cafe/coffee shop type business that is going to rely upon a rush hour crowd for the bulk of it's business. If that's the case, then 4th Street SW would be touch and go for that type of rush hour business and Earl Grey Park - not that heavily used and certainly wouldn't base any kind of a business to be reliant upon that park's user base. In fact, I would bet most Calgarians haven't even heard of Earl Grey Park.

4th Street SW has parking issues and is certainly not a high volume commuter choice during rush hour - it is instead more of a localized, boutique shop destination type of shopping area that locals and browsers tend to wander into on the weekends and afternoons.

Pacman
01-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm going to take a wild guess....is it the Second Cup on 4th and 24th SW?

I have 2 friends who have franchise operator experience in Calgary. Both looked at that location, cracked the books and found it was not worth it at all. There is a reason it's been on the market for so long and nobody has bought it...........

jhfreedom
01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Lol, you guys are good.

Yes, it is the Second Cup on the intersection. I didn't know it was on the market for long, thought it just came out.

How long was this out for?

When I punched in the numbers, it sounded lucrative enough for me to pursue it as long as the owners of the building are willing to renew the lease at a 5+5 option (It is currently sitting at a 1.5 year+5 option).

Only thing that I didn't like was the overhead that came with it but figured I can try to overcome some of it once I learn the business inside and out.

Pacman, if you don't mind me asking, how much were your friends expecting to get out of the business? I mean, this business won't clear $100K but you might be able to do $60-$70K if you can manage to run it well IMHO.

Keep your suggestions coming guys, and enjoy the snow if you guys have gotten any. We are getting hit up pretty hard in Edmonton.

Pacman
01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by jhfreedom

Pacman, if you don't mind me asking, how much were your friends expecting to get out of the business? I mean, this business won't clear $100K but you might be able to do $60-$70K if you can manage to run it well IMHO.

I don't really have the specifics, as I wasn't the one interested in the business.

This place has been on sale since at least the spring 2010, as my buddy was talking about it last June and he mentioned it had been on sale for while.

From what I recall, the overheads were high.

I suspect they were looking for places that were clearing 100k +, so perhaps that's why he wasn't interested.

cam_wmh
01-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by jhfreedom
Lol, you guys are good.

Yes, it is the Second Cup on the intersection. I didn't know it was on the market for long, thought it just came out.

How long was this out for?

When I punched in the numbers, it sounded lucrative enough for me to pursue it as long as the owners of the building are willing to renew the lease at a 5+5 option (It is currently sitting at a 1.5 year+5 option).

Only thing that I didn't like was the overhead that came with it but figured I can try to overcome some of it once I learn the business inside and out.

Keep your suggestions coming guys, and enjoy the snow if you guys have gotten any. We are getting hit up pretty hard in Edmonton.

I live nearby. I don't drink coffee, but regularly walk to restaurants, and notice it's often quiet, and less busy.
With the nearby Starbucks, and the Purple Perk, it's a saturated locale for coffee shops. My girlfriend goes to 'bucks or PP, and rarely 2nd Cup.

$0.02

jhfreedom
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Hey guys, awesome replies, thank you.

Any other suggestions or anybody that has experience in the coffee industry that can give me advice would be great.

Perhaps Beyond should also have business listings as well. I am pretty sure lots of people that have some of the nicest rides aren't aware that we have car forums in Calgary and Edmonton as well.

Canmorite
01-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I lived two blocks from that Second Cup, and only went there a handful of times. It's curb appeal is basically none, apart from the patio in the summer. It's fairly hidden from the street as well.

I'd always end up at Purple Perk :dunno:

BMDUBS
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Born and raised in the area. I have to say that I am surprised that Second cup has lasted as long as it has. I have only been there 2-3 times in as many years as it has been around. Not too busy whenever I drive by? As a poster above stated, there is a Starbuck and the Purple perk (which has been numerous different coffee shops over the years) within one block so it is definatley saturated. There is parking at this location but you can rarely get a spot as there is only 6 or 8 for the whole complex. The area is trendy but businesses seem to have a hard time flourishing on 4th street south of 17th ave...

urban.one
01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
That strip mall is poorly designed. The parking out front seems like a good idea but the lot is always a traffic jam making it hard for cars to get in and out. It also not pedestrian friendly the way its set up. I lived in the area for a long time and used the dry cleaner and seamstress in that mall and it was never fun to get into there.

Starbucks and the Perk have the advantage of being right on Fourth so its great for people watching and the foot traffic literally walks past your front door. Whereas with that strip mall, having the parking lot out front means that pedestrian traffic no longer walks by your store front.

If you were still interested, you might want to talk to the owner of the Bronze Baxx tanning place. It used to be upstairs in that mall and moved into another space further north on Fourth near Chien Chaud. They might be able to give you insight into what youd be facing being a business in the strip mall.

CapnCrunch
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Man I lived down there for years and didn't even realize it was there. Lol

Spoons
01-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Where the fuck is Earl Grey Park?

Crymson
01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Also, it's a little too far south to get the "walk by on the way to work crowd". Most people who live closer to 25th will just take the bus into downtown, but while you folks living closer to 17th they'll walk, and stop in at the perk or the starbucks to get their morning coffee (of if their cheapasses like me -- the macs)