PDA

View Full Version : Good routine for gym beginners??

ekguy
01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Starting to take getting in shape seriously since I have a lot more free time with my new job and no longer have the good ole ball and chain to drag around.

I've been concentrating mostly on cardio and then doing about an hour in the pool doing laps.

I want to start throwing free weight exercises in the mix in the next couple weeks.

What would be a good routine to do? I used to only use the machines but now I realize those don't do nearly as much as using free weights properly.

I have a recent broken shoulder, but it is at about 75% strenght I'd say and gets better with each passing day since I've been working it pretty good swimming laps.

Any websites or advice on what free weight exercises to be doing?

tom_9109
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Bench press, Bent Over Row, Squats, Deadlifts.

C_Dave45
01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Hmm...you're going to get a million different suggestions, routines, programs, etc etc. But let my throw my .02 worth.

KEEP IT SIMPLE. I like this guys page: http://www.intense-workout.com/workout_routines.html

While there are countless programs (5-3-1, 5x5, P90x etc etc etc) the thing to keep in mind is they ALL work. Lifting weights is lifting weights. Most important is proper form and don't lift too heavy so that it throws form out the window. I see guys at the gym trying to dumbbell curl with 45's and all they're doing is twisting/throwing it up...with no proper concentration on the particular muscle movement.

Also, one tip I received from a body builder when I started: for chest/bench exercises...try starting with JUST dumbbells. I wanted to jump onto the bench and load up those big nice looking 45's onto the olympic bar. He wouldn't let me.
DB's train your muscles to "control" everything, as well as it helps the other smaller muscles that come into play with "balance". I'll see guys bench 135 with the bar, but can't control two 45 lb DB's in the same exercise.

very simple example:

chest: flat press, incline press, decline press. (start with just DB's) (works all 3 areas of the pecs)

biceps: Seated DB curl, seated barbell curl, standing curl

triceps: cable pushdowns, "skull crushers", seated db revers curl (work same day as chest, but after bench press)

back: seated rows, seated wide-grip pull downs

Delts: seated military press. frontal DB raises. lateral DB raises. Seated bent-over rear-flys. (Again you want to work all three sections of the delt)

traps: shrugs

Legs: squat, seated leg press, hamstring curl

PS: Another good simple site. Complete with pictures of the different exercises: http://www.ironworkout.com/shoulder_workout.htm

Uncle Flappy
01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Ignore the machines and the isolation exercises. Go to the bookstore or library, maybe even a torrent? and read "The New Rules of Lifting". IMO best book ever. It's a nice wholesome set of programs and theory with good results like Rippetoes.

In short concentrate on compound lifts. I highly recommend it, as do many others with a quick search. Try to learn good form with the compound exercises like the bench press, squat, deadlift, lunges. There is no point in dedicating a special lift to a small muscle when you can hit more than one muscle in a single exercise. You only need to do the isolation exercises when you're a bodybuilder and are "perfecting".

A790
01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Flappy
In short concentrate on compound lifts. I highly recommend it, as do many others with a quick search. Try to learn good form with the compound exercises like the bench press, squat, deadlift, lunges. There is no point in dedicating a special lift to a small muscle when you can hit more than one muscle in a single exercise. You only need to do the isolation exercises when you're a bodybuilder and are "perfecting".
Agreed.

My routines focus on the big lift for the day: squat, overhead press, bench, etc. etc.

nykz
01-09-2011, 03:06 PM
A lot of Beyonders will tell you Stronglifts 5x5 will be a good start, or rippetoes starting strength. These two basically focus on the compound lifts, the bench, overhead press, squat, deadlift, and rows. Which is essentially all that you need to do, accessory work is just accessory. Give it a shot! As I'm a complete noob myself, just wait til max_boost chimes in! :nut:

ekguy
01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
forgot to add my goal is not to get huge either. I want to have a better physique to ride my full suspension bike better. Basically I need a strong core.

Stronger legs which isn't really an issue with me (10 years of baseball: 2 teams a season for the last 5 and 10 years of swimming/diving)

Arms stronger but not huge around like people's legs haha.

max_boost
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by nykz
A lot of Beyonders will tell you Stronglifts 5x5 will be a good start, or rippetoes starting strength. These two basically focus on the compound lifts, the bench, overhead press, squat, deadlift, and rows. Which is essentially all that you need to do, accessory work is just accessory. Give it a shot! As I'm a complete noob myself, just wait til max_boost chimes in! :nut:

:werd:

Originally posted by ekguy
forgot to add my goal is not to get huge either. I want to have a better physique to ride my full suspension bike better. Basically I need a strong core.

Stronger legs which isn't really an issue with me (10 years of baseball: 2 teams a season for the last 5 and 10 years of swimming/diving)

Arms stronger but not huge around like people's legs haha.

Not directly at you but why does everyone think that by lifting a few weights, you are going to look like 2EFNFAST!? haha

How do you get huge?

To get huge you need to lift heavy weights and gain weight. If you are doing neither, you aren't gonna get "huge".

Did you consider P90X? All you need is 90 minutes a day and a chinup bar. And you'll be stronger and get the physique you want. :D

ekguy
01-10-2011, 12:32 AM
dunno if i have anywhere to put one of those. I can always use the chin up bar at the gym. I don't pay golds for nothing hehe.

Any advice though Max Boost since you seem to come highly recommended by everyone in this thread hehe.

:D

msommers
01-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I've been doing 5x5 since Sept and wondering if I"m going to continue doing it or switch to something else. It's not that the program is holding me back but I'd like to switch things up soon.

Definitely was easy as shit to get you back into the swing of things. :thumbsup: Program is very easy to follow and workouts don't take too long.

Watch your diet and you'll be fine.

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2011, 11:51 AM
In my opinion the best way to get into things is get a gym membership and start doing a mix of cardio and key muscle groups. For many, including myself, half the battle is being somewhere with no distractions. I'm distracted easier than a kid with ADHD when I'm not doing something I REALLY want to be doing, so forcing myself out of my home and into a gym environment is half the battle.

Start out easy, don't make yourself sick. Slowly up the weight and time/resistance on the cardio machines as you feel more comfortable. The first week or two is by far the hardest IMO.

Stretch well after and you won't feel quite as sore if you're just getting into things for the first time in a while.

Anyways it isn't a very scientific approach but it worked wonders for me and I'm glad I did things that way.

max_boost
01-10-2011, 03:00 PM
ekguy, you ever consider crossfit?

Could be what you are looking for.

http://www.crossfit.com/

lint
01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Did you consider P90X? All you need is 90 minutes a day and a chinup bar. And you'll be stronger and get the physique you want. :D

Works wonders! http://forums.beyond.ca/st/308714/vagabonds-fat-ass-challenge-180-days/