PDA

View Full Version : Self defence/fighting classes

SkittleFreak
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm looking into getting into some sort of class for fighting/self defence sort of thing. I'm in south Calgary, looking to see if anyone here is in any classes like this or what you would suggest?

I'd like to find something where I can get a good work out, get more flexible, and learn to fight.

RUQUIKR
01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I would reccomend checking out Wing Chun Kung Fu.

http://www.wingchun-canada.com/

J-hop
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I would suggest something like Muay Thai kickboxing. there are lots of Gyms around calgary that offer classes. The cardio is amazing. My friend puked his first time and whenever I haven't gone in a while I have to go 60-70% on the cardio portion or I feel sick.

Also teaches you a lot of applicable techniques for the real world such as how to use your elbows and shins in a fight and other skills that can end a brawl very quickly! Not that I condone street fighting or anything, but I think it would help out a lot if someone tried to jump you on the street or something like that.

if you are looking to compete, from what i've found there aren't a heck of a lot of straight muay thai tournaments (I could be wrong though). But there are a lot of kickboxing tournaments each year (basically one of the key differences is you can't throw elbows in Kboxing and if I remember correctly you can't throw knees either). So no matter if you train in Muay Thai or straight kickboxing you'll have lots of chances to compete

JBreaks
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I've got the black belt in ITF taekwondo (getting stale at 6 years off now...dislocated knee..... bad car accident......) and studied a couple other disciplines, which had me visiting a number of places in calgary.

If your looking for straight up self defense skills I would look into a place called Tecumseh (Sp?) TKD downtown and in NW calgary I believe. Run by a man named Pat Teevens originally, was very specialized Canadian army un armed defense, and "Spetznaz" Russian style self defense. Mostly vs. knife or handgun, but all still applicable vs. unarmed. Great place with less emphasis on repeating a kick or punches, patterns ect.
edit: Just checked their website and only recognized 1 instructor.... thinking they may have gone "family friendly".

If your looking for really aggressive sparring sessions for cardio and "fight" practice look into "J.J. Lee TKD" in Kensington. More training towards tournament fighting, which in my opinion is less useful in a real life situation.. More of the "learn this pattern".. "do this kick 200 times" that being said i'm sure you could still do serious damage to unarmed opponents with the skills learned at this place.

Would say Mike Miles is half decent over all.... lots of "cool kids" looking to learn some "sweet moves" in that place.. at least the last time I was there.

nj2Type-S
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
if you want self-defense, find a place that teaches krav maga.

JfuckinC
01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
if you want self-defense, find a place that teaches krav maga.

my cousin that want's to be a police officer is going to start taking this, apparently it's pretty bad ass.

89coupe
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Learn a discipline that teaches how to take someone down and submit them.

To this day I haven't seen very many fights stay on their feet.

Neil4Speed
01-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

my cousin that want's to be a police officer is going to start taking this, apparently it's pretty bad ass.

Would you mind asking him where he plans on taking it? I have been looking for a good place in Calgary that does it. There is a place called IntegrityKD which I think now specializes more in family friendly martial arts.

Regardless, for the OP, Krav Maga would be your best bet. Wonder if the guy would teach a weekend basics course for beyonders.

Little Dragon
01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Been looking for krav maga as well. Not much luck for places in the north.

JfuckinC
01-14-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.integritytkd.com/

That's where my cousin is going to go i guess. TKD and KM, But he's only doing the KM.

bigbadboss101
01-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Jimmy at integrity tkd seems like a good guy. Gal I know attend classes there. It's practical stuff.

J-hop
01-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Jimmy at integrity tkd seems like a good guy. Gal I know attend classes there. It's practical stuff.

couple things I find super odd about TKD is first, in tournaments it seems they are all using long range strikes (especially kicks). Which if you've ever seen a bar brawl break out would be completely useless. Also they strike a lot with their feet, which contain soft and easily broken bones and again as mentioned requires distance.

Not to start an argument as all martial arts have their prons and cons, I just found that odd and wonder what that style of fighting evolved from?

panthr1
04-14-2011, 07:34 PM
anyone here trained in the past in Jishin-ryu Jiu jitsu?
Or more commonly known as Bissett Jiu jitsu? japanese jiu jitsu..

There are two of us training here under supervision from head of style Kyoshi Bissett,.

www.bissettjiu-jitsu.com

Cos
04-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

couple things I find super odd about TKD is first, in tournaments it seems they are all using long range strikes (especially kicks). Which if you've ever seen a bar brawl break out would be completely useless. Also they strike a lot with their feet, which contain soft and easily broken bones and again as mentioned requires distance.

Not to start an argument as all martial arts have their prons and cons, I just found that odd and wonder what that style of fighting evolved from?

You are talking about WTF TKD, ITF TKD is much more versatile. It has been a while since I was training (and learning the history) but this is what I remember.

Tae Kwon Do came from the military and other training schools. In the 1950's it was one of the most well known and widely trained martial arts in Korea.

After the Korean war Tae Kwon Do was banned because of it's affiliation with the north, so WTF (World TKD Federation was born). ITF is the more traditional style but WTF is more recognized and is an olympic sport. WTF has much more kicking than ITF.

Hapkido is known as the royal guards art. A korean was adopted by a Japanese family and trained under the father who was a samurai. He went back to korea and TKD was huge. He started to add more punches and japanese throws into TKD and Hapkido merged from that.

Originally posted by JBreaks
I've got the black belt in ITF taekwondo (getting stale at 6 years off now...dislocated knee..... bad car accident......)

Where did you train out of? I trained out of Lightning Family Martial Arts in 2004/2005 under Mr. Howes.

OP I train here: http://www.hapkimudo.ca/

I would also look into Judo or Magna Krav if you want even more self defence (we currently do 1/3 of our day in self defence)

BrknFngrs
04-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Cos any chance you could PM me some details on the school? Cost, frequency of classes, etc. The website leaves a bit to be desired.

Cos
04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Cos any chance you could PM me some details on the school? Cost, frequency of classes, etc. The website leaves a bit to be desired.

Will do, but for other peoples benefit I will leave it on here.

The website is just about Hapkido only because the course is run through Cardel Place. Cardel sets schedule and payment so Master Jeremy didnt put it on the site I assume.

Edit: Good video on Hapkido.

8S7g3xb44q4

cricks11
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I train at BDB martial arts. It's an awesome gym, they have Muay Thai kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA, and Wrestling. (Yoga and Capoeria too, if you're into that). It's fairly cheap compared to a lot of other gyms and it has lots of classes.

They've got world champion BJJs there, Nick Ring, who's fighting in Vancouver at UFC 131! It's not your typical "self defence" course, but I'd bet my money on a MMA fighter over a JKD or taekwondo guy anyday. Maybe not krav maga though.. those guys are scary haha. and they kick you in the balls :(

Cos
04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by cricks11
and they kick you in the balls :(

anyone who doesnt spar with rules kicks in the balls. It is just too easy a fight ender. Lol

I have heard good things about BDB. MMA v. a true self defence martial art I would like to see. Sparring the MMA would almost always win.

Power_Of_Rotary
04-14-2011, 09:27 PM
krav maga is like a combination of wing chun and thai boxing to me. The reason why i say that is because Ive been practicing both wc and thai boxing for a while. then i attended a couple classes of krav maga and its like a mixture of the arts (almost like they stole the techniques :dunno: )

but this will save you time from learning 2 separate arts, and combine it in one all together i guess...i dont recommend it though

vengie
04-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Is there anywhere in south Calgary that offers Krav Maga?? I have prior training in boxing and wrestling/ grappling, and Krav Maga sounds very interesting! Wouldn't mind giving it a try.

cricks11
04-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't think you can say the odds are against a MMA fighter. Sure, self defence people can win, but I think unless you get the first strike to vitals, or manage to kick the balls :P, the MMA fighter is just superior in all other aspects.

Power of Rotary, why don't you recommend Krav Maga? I always thought if I were to complement my MMA with anything it would be Krav Maga.

wintonyk
04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by panthr1
anyone here trained in the past in Jishin-ryu Jiu jitsu?
Or more commonly known as Bissett Jiu jitsu? japanese jiu jitsu..

There are two of us training here under supervision from head of style Kyoshi Bissett,.

www.bissettjiu-jitsu.com

I trained bissett jiu jitsu til i was 14. The dojo used to be on blackfoot near the kirks tire. Chris Bissett? I think was head guy that came once every 6 months.

shakalaka
04-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I wanna look into this krav maga thing as well, since everyone seems to recommend it.

How fit do you need to be to get into it? Does it get you in shape along with teaching you the art as well? How much does something like this cost to take in Calgary? What would recommended places be?

reijo
04-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Here's a good karate dojo that has been around a long time with excellent instruction ..... a lot of very accomplished karateka (internationally competitive) in the main dojo (NE Calgary):

http://www.iskfcalgary.ca/index.php

R

bigbadboss101
04-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Shaka, check out http://www.integritytkd.com/.

I was gonna go train there but decided I didn't need to train at two places.
Seems like a good guy, effective training, and decent price.

nj2Type-S
04-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by cricks11
I train at BDB martial arts. It's an awesome gym, they have Muay Thai kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA, and Wrestling. (Yoga and Capoeria too, if you're into that). It's fairly cheap compared to a lot of other gyms and it has lots of classes.

They've got world champion BJJs there, Nick Ring, who's fighting in Vancouver at UFC 131! It's not your typical "self defence" course, but I'd bet my money on a MMA fighter over a JKD or taekwondo guy anyday. Maybe not krav maga though.. those guys are scary haha. and they kick you in the balls :(

alex?

cricks11
04-16-2011, 12:32 PM

alex?

Nelson?

nj2Type-S
04-16-2011, 02:31 PM
lol ya

cricks11
04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
haha I knew because of the RDX.

panthr1
05-31-2011, 07:22 PM
relating to self defense, bissett jiu jitsu aka japanese jiu jitsu.
focus strictly on self defense. I have started a "grassroots"
movement training beginer students interested in self defence. no formal club here but am training on my own small scale.
have room for 2 more,serious additions to train with and teach.
drop me a line if you wish, have any questions feel free.

r3ccOs
06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
honestly in a "fight" usually everything starts with the hands and then some type of useles grapling

its almost like an unspoken rule... nobody starts kicking, nobody looks for a chute, nobody drops to their back expecting their oppontent to drop into a mount lolz

The best skills I've ever learned to protect myself was Boxing... timing, movement, eye hand co-ordination, technique and condtioning

I also wresteled in high school, which gives a good base and understanding of weight transfer..

If I needed something that I need to protect myself in all conditions of life/death situations... Krav all the way

nj2Type-S
06-01-2011, 12:28 PM
i don't wanna sound like a total cheap ass but if i'm ever in a situation where i'd have to defend myself, i hope that person is wearing a cup cuz i will be going for the balls immediately, hahaha

psycoticclown
06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
i don't wanna sound like a total cheap ass but if i'm ever in a situation where i'd have to defend myself, i hope that person is wearing a cup cuz i will be going for the balls immediately, hahaha

If it comes down to protecting yourself then ball kicks, eye gouges and everything goes lol.

panthr1
06-01-2011, 08:10 PM
bissett jiu jitsu is not at all about ground fighting....
that would be brazilian jiu jitsu.
going to the ground is a bad first step plan on the street, particularily if there is more than one.

we are more traditional in the sense jiu jitsu was developed as a empty handed self defense style.
and all about stand up and finish, components of control with the end result of a balanced system of self defense.
not without ground work however to remain balanced.. but 20 percent or less on the ground.

the current head of style Shihan Bissett has a strong military back ground and has spent most of his life testing and redefining
what is needed from self defense

not a game.. not a sport..
and hey if the soft spots present why not hit them :)

panthr1
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Dynamic MMA has started a spot for us to get back to training. Headed by 2nd dan black belt in our style, so it is not a "attempt" at our style but current curiculum as printed. They understand that not everyone wants to step into the cage, and selfdefence is a concern. so here we are.

There were a few interested awhile back, I was training out of
my basement dojo, I can understand that would make some people hesitant. but out of the basemend into the light.
come check it out, you can call Dynamic for times to drop in and check it out, its free to see what is about.