PDA

View Full Version : When to plug in your car?

sdiep
01-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't know much about cars, so I thought I would ask all you guys.

When do you plug in your car? I've been told by a mechanic to plug it in once it dips down to -20. But do you factor in windchill as well?

It was -17 today, and I didn't plug it in while I was at work (8 hours), but with windchill, I believe they said it was around -25? My car did start after the third try - is that a bad thing/wrecks the car?

StreetRacerX
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
To be honest I never plug in my car, I simply can't due to parking, but I would right now if I could. Doesn't seem to matter though as I drive it once or twice every couple weeks and it still starts fine, just makes different noises at different temperatures and cranks a few times before it will start.

ryanallan
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Windchill doesn't effect cars, only living things.
Plugging it in at any temp will make it easier to start.
Cold oil does not provide the same protection as warm oil, and thus is worse for your engine.

sdiep
01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
So it's okay that it doesn't start on the first try in cold winter weather conditions?

sdiep
01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ryanallan
Windchill doesn't effect cars, only living things.
Plugging it in at any temp will make it easier to start.
Cold oil does not provide the same protection as warm oil, and thus is worse for your engine.

Oh, so tomorrow the weather in the afternoon is -18 (without windchill), so I just use that as a gauge to determine whether to plug my car in or not.

I see lots of other cars able to withstand the winter conditions regardless. Is it because of the particular make of the car, or something else, that makes their car more "reliable"?

ryanallan
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
what kind of car do you have
what type of engine is it
what kind of oil are you using
what kind of battery do you have (amps / age)
how many km's

sdiep
01-10-2011, 09:45 PM
what kind of car do you have
what type of engine is it
what kind of oil are you using
how many km's

Honda Accord 2000
I have no idea about the engine.
I did my last oil change in December at the Honda dealership, not sure what kind of oil they put in it. :S
88,000 km? (But the km's are going to rack up more nowadays, since I'm driving 130+km/week nowadays) :(

ryanallan
01-10-2011, 09:47 PM
great information

it seems like your car had some trouble at -17 today, why dont you plug it in at anything lower than -15

sdiep
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
great information

it seems like your car had some trouble at -17 today, why dont you plug it in at anything lower than -15

Thanks. When you say -15, do I factor in the "windchill" or the posted temperature on weathernetwork, lol. :P

I guess I'm plugging in tomorrow, but have to dish out money for parking with plugins, haha damn.

ryanallan
01-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Remember when I mentioned that windchill only effects living things?

sdiep
01-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Oh right, thanks! :)
And using the "high" temp as the gauge is fine then, right? :D

sr20s14zenki
01-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by sdiep

Oh right, thanks! :)
And using the "high" temp as the gauge is fine then, right? :D

Yep. Make sure you dont plug it in all night, get yourself a timer, they are like 10$ at canadian tire. It only needs about an hour before startup to do its job. Youll be wasting electricity all night for nothing (=

sdiep
01-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Yep. Make sure you dont plug it in all night, get yourself a timer, they are like 10$ at canadian tire. It only needs about an hour before startup to do its job. Youll be wasting electricity all night for nothing (=

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up on that. I really appreciate your guys help btw!

Next time I get an oil change, should I ask for something specific so it'll work better in the winter?

ExtraSlow
01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Well, a car will cool off faster in a windy location than in a sheltered one, but given enough time (like a full work day or overnight) they will both get down to the same temperature.

davesparky6
01-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Windchill affects anything that is producing heat, houses, cars, people, whatever. Your car when it isn't running (parked) isn't producing heat, so windchill won't affect it. As mentioned before though, your car will cool off quicker in the wind.
The more you know... ;)

AutoMats
11-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Below -5 for me

speedog
11-15-2012, 06:55 AM
An almost 2 year bump to tell us that, so so very cool AutoMats.

Boosted131
11-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Never plug mine in...

Lol@ 130 km a week being racking up the kilometers.

Tomaz
11-15-2012, 09:24 AM
I never plug my car in. Heated garage FTW!!!!

But I normally would anything below -10. Timer set to 30 mins before I needed the car. I always pre-started the car so it would at least start gaining temp before moving it.

Hallowed_point
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
I park outside, run synthetic and still am forced to plug in whenever the temperature gets below zero...even -1.

If I don't , my car will sputter and stall unless I hold the rpm's at ~ 2 grand for 2-3 minutes to warm in up. Kinda annoying but :dunno:

heavyD
11-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by AutoMats
Below -5 for me

LOL are you serious? What a waste of electricity. Nobody should plug their cars in until at least -15C.

Sugarphreak
11-15-2012, 11:57 AM

jsn
11-15-2012, 12:13 PM
My car is relatively newer still so I normally plug it in if it falls -15.

CapnCrunch
11-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

LOL are you serious? What a waste of electricity. Nobody should plug their cars in until at least -15C.

It cost about 7 cents an hour lol.

WHAT ARE YOU MADE OF FUCKING PENNIES?!?!?!

:drama:

Tik-Tok
11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
OP, other things will help your car for cold starts too. Check your battery (test at a reputable shop, places like CT seem to fail every battery) and consider switching to a full synthetic or lighter weight oil for winter. A lot of people also put cardboard in front of the grill when it gets really cold to help the engine maintain heat.

Good advice, except the OP hasn't posted in 18 months...

Sugarphreak
11-15-2012, 01:06 PM

heavyD
11-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
It cost about 7 cents an hour lol.

WHAT ARE YOU MADE OF FUCKING PENNIES?!?!?!

:drama:

Don't be an idiot. It's still a waste of engergy at the time of year where Calgarians are using the most power. 800 watts multiplied by thousands of drivers adds up on the grid. Thankfully I believe that people that plug in their cars at -5 are in the minority.

benyl
11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't remember the last time I plugged in a car. Even at -30.

Disoblige
11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
I park in an unheated underground parking lot.
I've only had to plug it in a few times a year when it actually gets consistently under -15°C inside the parkade.

I usually wouldn't even plug it in; I just don't like waiting too long for the car to warm up.

CapnCrunch
11-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Don't be an idiot. It's still a waste of engergy at the time of year where Calgarians are using the most power. 800 watts multiplied by thousands of drivers adds up on the grid. Thankfully I believe that people that plug in their cars at -5 are in the minority.

Well if you offset the fuel he saves by having his car warm up faster, it's probably close to a wash.

For future reference, if you plan on calling someone an idiot, you should spell check "engergy" before you challenge them to a battle of the wits.

jazzyb
11-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I have never plugged in my car, inside our outside, heated parking or not.

heavyD
11-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Well if you offset the fuel he saves by having his car warm up faster, it's probably close to a wash.

For future reference, if you plan on calling someone an idiot, you should spell check "engergy" before you challenge them to a battle of the wits.

Driving warms up your car not idling and who needs to warm up a car at only -5?

btimbit
11-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by jazzyb
I have never plugged in my car, inside our outside, heated parking or not.

A lot of cars will start fine without being plugged in, my VW didn't have a block heater and it started all the time. But it's still a good idea to plug it in when it gets really cold out. Just makes it easier and it's less wear and tear.

This will be my first winter with a car that has a block heater, I plan on plugging -15 weather, have a timer set to come on an hour and a half before I leave in the morning.

Saw timers at Canadian Tire that you can set to come on automatically if it gets below a certain temperature.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't even have a block heater on my car, starts fine in -35 but it sure isn't happy to do it. If its below -15 out I usually start it, let it idle for 2-3 minutes then gingerly set off.

nickyh
11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Dont and cant, damn VW.

Below -25 i just take the bus, my drive is too short to and frfom the park & ride so it's less stress on the car.

CapnCrunch
11-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Driving warms up your car not idling and who needs to warm up a car at only -5?

I didn't say idling. I said a car that's plugged in warms up faster than one that doesn't. :confused:

benyl
11-16-2012, 08:09 AM

I didn't say idling. I said a car that's plugged in warms up faster than one that doesn't. :confused:

Does it? Evidence?

A2VR6
11-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I don't even have a block heater on my car, starts fine in -35 but it sure isn't happy to do it. If its below -15 out I usually start it, let it idle for 2-3 minutes then gingerly set off.

+1. Except if it gets down to -35 I wont even try to start it... I cant imagine it being good for a motor with 10W60 in it to start in anything less than -30.

lilmira
11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Never, my car didn't come with blockheater. It's in the garage at night but I do park it outside during the day. With synthetic oil, it never takes more than couple secs to get it going.

CapnCrunch
11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Does it? Evidence?

Common sense?

:facepalm:

:rofl:

heavyD
11-16-2012, 09:14 AM

At -5 it's insignificant. Look you made a stupid initial comment. Let it go and quit being a turd.

CapnCrunch
11-16-2012, 09:52 AM

At -5 it's insignificant. Look you made a stupid initial comment. Let it go and quit being a turd.

Nothing I said was stupid or untrue. You've proven nothing other that you can ignore what I've said and call people names.

You can pm me your apology, it seems like you don't want to give up and lose face on the internet.

heavyD
11-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Nothing I said was stupid or untrue. You've proven nothing other that you can ignore what I've said and call people names.

You can pm me your apology, it seems like you don't want to give up and lose face on the internet.

codetrap
11-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Common sense?
:rofl: That's just awesome.. the "common sense defense".. aka as the "I don't really have a clue so I'll just spew something out that sounds good." Defense..

bjstare
11-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Common sense?

:rofl:

A car will warm up at the same rate, plugged in or not.

I think you meant it will reach operating temp faster if it is plugged in during cold weather than if it isn't plugged in.

Cooked Rice
11-17-2012, 12:57 AM
I don't bother. In -30C the blocker heater doesn't really do jack shit for my SUV. I run Amsoil Synthetic, all it's ever needed to be happy.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-17-2012, 01:48 AM
When I had free power I'd plug in at -15. When I had a car port I'd plug in at -20 or under.

I have a garage now and a good battery. No need.

I definitely can attest that "wet" block heaters help cars warm up faster. The coolant is warmed and the heat transfers throughout all that touches it. I tested it many times with my toyotas and nissans, and without fail they would warm up 2kms faster to operating temp. Along with a much smoother start.

The slide in or bolt on style only assist with startup I find. I had it on my bmw and it certainly helped start up, even with synthetic and a good battery.

I think its far better for the car and starting/charging system, but not necessary. We have much better engineered motors now and they handle the sub zero temperatures without issue.

CapnCrunch
11-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
That's just awesome.. the "common sense defense".. aka as the "I don't really have a clue so I'll just spew something out that sounds good." Defense..

That's just awesome...

I'll jump into this discussion because I have no independent ideas of my own and I like attention.

LULz!!one!!

FraserB
11-19-2012, 08:44 AM

That's just awesome...

I'll jump into this discussion because I have no independent ideas of my own and I like attention.

LULz!!one!!

Weren't you the same guy who was telling Dave that he was tiling wrong and even touching the wall would break it?

CapnCrunch
11-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Weren't you the same guy who was telling Dave that he was tiling wrong and even touching the wall would break it?

Weren't you the guy that said something completely unrelated in another thread?

And no, that's not even close to what I said.

Also, thanks for joining this thread and adding nothing to the actual topic. I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation of your next post on the internet. Please pm me when you make your next submission.

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I have heated underground parking but the few times I've had to start my car in -20 or -30 it's been a non-issue with a strong battery and synthetic oil. I hardly notice a difference starting it at that temperature compared to any other :dunno:. My cars have always fired up instantly with little to no hesitation in the winter. The Mobil 1 I use has a pour point of -48 degrees C which I think is making the biggest difference.

codetrap
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
That's just awesome...

LULz!!one!! Do you think that when you post in a FORUM, you're only talking to the people who have posted in the FORUM thread already?

So, I think I see where we crossed rails. I took your poorly worded statement to mean "A car will warm up faster when plugged in while idling, vs just driving away with it." When in fact it sounds like you were trying to say, "A car will reach operating temperature in less time after being plugged in for a couple of hours." Which is absolutely correct, and supported by actual testing.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/idling/14743

Disoblige
11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I understood what CapnCrunch was sayin'.. :dunno:

codetrap
11-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I understood what CapnCrunch was sayin'.. :dunno: All that means is that you're in a similar frame of mind as he was. I however was in a far different frame of mind, and completely misunderstood him. Since the burden of understanding typically fall's to the author....

Either way, it's all good. I did the math btw.. if it's an 800W heater, then it'll use roughly $0.056 @ $0.07/KWH, which means around 11c/day. It'd depend on what you're driving if that will help you save any money driving.